Set default SMTP server settings

Hello,

I'm running 1 Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on W2k SP4.  I'm trying to
increase my mail size limit.  However in the ESM settings, the SMTP
Virtual server doesn't adjust to the new settings.  ie. I can set it to
10240 but mail is still blocked that is smaller.  The server is still
recognizing my old setting - 4096kb.  I can change it and put whatever
number I want in heir but Exchange isn't recognizing the new number.  I
know it's still recognizing the old setting since when I telnet into
exchange and do a ehlo command I see the size set to 4096.  I've been
experiencing this problem for some time and haven't come up with any
solution...Is their a way to change the settings from telnet?

All help is greatly appreciated.

-Mike

"Mike" <MichaelTFoley@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm running 1 Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on W2k SP4.  I'm trying to
>increase my mail size limit.  However in the ESM settings, the SMTP
>Virtual server doesn't adjust to the new settings.  ie. I can set it to
>10240 but mail is still blocked that is smaller.  The server is still
>recognizing my old setting - 4096kb.  I can change it and put whatever
>number I want in heir but Exchange isn't recognizing the new number.  I
>know it's still recognizing the old setting since when I telnet into
>exchange and do a ehlo command I see the size set to 4096.  I've been
>experiencing this problem for some time and haven't come up with any
>solution...Is their a way to change the settings from telnet?

Check the value in the metabase.xml file. Look for the MaxMessageSize
and MaxSessionSize values. These should correspond to the values you
set on the SMTP Virtual Server (they won't be exact matches, e.g.
4096KB will appear as 4194304). If they don't, then the information
from the AD to the metabase isn't replicating.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

What is your global setting limit set to?

Leif

"Mike" <MichaelTFoley@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm running 1 Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on W2k SP4.  I'm trying to
> increase my mail size limit.  However in the ESM settings, the SMTP
> Virtual server doesn't adjust to the new settings.  ie. I can set it to
> 10240 but mail is still blocked that is smaller.  The server is still
> recognizing my old setting - 4096kb.  I can change it and put whatever
> number I want in heir but Exchange isn't recognizing the new number.  I
> know it's still recognizing the old setting since when I telnet into
> exchange and do a ehlo command I see the size set to 4096.  I've been
> experiencing this problem for some time and haven't come up with any
> solution...Is their a way to change the settings from telnet?
>
> All help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Mike

Rich,

This opens up a whole different can of worms...I don't have a
metabase.xml (or MBSchema.xml) file.  That's probably where my problem
lies...AD can't find the file to replicate to.  They should be in
c:\WINNT\system32\inetsrvr but their not.  Their is a metabase.bin file
which, when opened with notepad, is unrecognizable data.  Is their
anything I can do to fix this issue?  Tape backups aren't an option as
they don't go back to before this issue occurred.  Can I delete and
re-create the SMTP Virtual server, or will that cause other unintended
problems.  Also, would that re-create the metabase.xml file?

I have no idea how those 2 files would get deleted.

Thanks for pointing m in the right direction.

-Mike

Leif - my global settigns are set to 10240kb

> Check the value in the metabase.xml file. Look for the MaxMessageSize
> and MaxSessionSize values. These should correspond to the values you
> set on the SMTP Virtual Server (they won't be exact matches, e.g.
> 4096KB will appear as 4194304). If they don't, then the information
> from the AD to the metabase isn't replicating.

"Mike" <MichaelTFoley@gmail.com> wrote:

>This opens up a whole different can of worms...I don't have a
>metabase.xml (or MBSchema.xml) file.  That's probably where my problem
>lies...AD can't find the file to replicate to.  They should be in
>c:\WINNT\system32\inetsrvr but their not.  Their is a metabase.bin file
>which, when opened with notepad, is unrecognizable data.

Use metaedit to work with the metabase.bin file. More likely you're
running on Windows 2000 and not 2003. IIS changed from version 5 to 6
with the O/S and, with that, the appearance of the metabase.xml file.

>Is their
>anything I can do to fix this issue?

Use Windows 2003? :-)

>Tape backups aren't an option as
>they don't go back to before this issue occurred.  Can I delete and
>re-create the SMTP Virtual server, or will that cause other unintended
>problems.  Also, would that re-create the metabase.xml file?
>
>I have no idea how those 2 files would get deleted.

They probably haven't been deleted. Thy probably weren't there to
begin with.

You can set the Diagnostics Logging to "Maximum" on the server's
"MSEschangeMU \ General" category and then make a change to the max
message size on the SMTP Virtual Server. you should see event-id's
1005 from the source MSExchangeMU if things are replicating. You
shouldn't see any errors.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

After running metaedit and looking under LM\Smtpsvc the MaxMessageSize
is set to 2097152 (2048kb).  I don't know where this number is coming
from as I can send/recieve messages larger then that.  As I said
previously, when I telnet into exchange and run ehlo the 'size' line
has a value of 4194304.  I'm hesitant to change the 2048kb via metaedit
since I don't know where it's getting that number from.  Also, the
MaxSessionSize is set properly - 10485760.  I tried setting the
diagnostics logging to maximum as you suggested and didn't see any 1005
events, or errors in the logs.  How can I ensure the data is being
replicated.  I only have 1 exchange server.

Thanks,

-Mike

"Mike" <MichaelTFoley@gmail.com> wrote:

>After running metaedit and looking under LM\Smtpsvc the MaxMessageSize
>is set to 2097152 (2048kb).  I don't know where this number is coming
>from as I can send/recieve messages larger then that.

If you change the value on the SMTP Virtual Server do you see the
value in the metabase change? Do you see the value in the ESMTP "SIZE"
keyword change?

>As I said
>previously, when I telnet into exchange and run ehlo the 'size' line
>has a value of 4194304.

Can you find that value in the metabase?

>I'm hesitant to change the 2048kb via metaedit
>since I don't know where it's getting that number from.

No, don't change the number. You're trying to find out why the data
isn't replicated from the AD. Once you find, and fix that the changes
in the ESM will adjust the value.

>Also, the
>MaxSessionSize is set properly - 10485760.  I tried setting the
>diagnostics logging to maximum as you suggested and didn't see any 1005
>events, or errors in the logs.  How can I ensure the data is being
>replicated.  I only have 1 exchange server.

If you restart the Exchange System Attendant service (or reboot the
server), do you see 1005 events from the source MSExchangeMU? You
should see plenty of 1005 events with the logging set to maximum as
the "Highwatermarks" data are updated. The lack of thse events is
kinda pointing to a failure of the ds2mb thread to do its work.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I've been exploring Metaedit and found the MaxMessageSize value (it's
under 1 and not smtpsvc as I thought).  The smtpsvc has a value of
2048kb (I'm not sure where this applies.)  Under 1 the MaxMessageSize
has a value of 4096kb (or equivalent of) which is where the virtual
SMTP server seems to be getting it's value from.  I tired changing it
and it registers the new value which is good (also notes change in
event log) , but the root cause of the problem isn't solved yet.

I restarted the System Attendant service and didn't see any 1005 events
after it restarted.  I went throught the event log and saw ds2mb.dll
shutting down.  Then I see ds2mb.dll loading and then initializing. 5
events later I see a 1047 error in MSExchangeMU - "Metabase Update
failed to properly initialize its context. It will retry initialization
every 60 seconds until succeeds or shutdown is requested."  2 events
later I see "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant is starting
'DS2MB.DLL'. "  That's the last entry I see relating to ds2mb.dll.
Everything else seems to indicate exchange service operating ok...and
their's no repeat of the 1047 error.  Again, theirs no 1005 errors in
the logs and if I change the value for the virtual server in ESM the
change doens't get replicated.  I ran replmon on my domain controllers
and everything is replicating ok.  I have 2 DC's & 1 exchange box -
Exchange 2003 running on W2k SP4.  The 2 DC's or Wk2 SP4 as well.

Is their a command that will force ds2mb to replicate...or can it be
reinstalled some how?

Thanks for all your help.

-Mike

"Mike" <MichaelTFoley@gmail.com> wrote:

>Rich,
>
>I've been exploring Metaedit and found the MaxMessageSize value (it's
>under 1 and not smtpsvc as I thought).

Each Virtual Server has a SMTPSVC. Each VS has a number, in yur case
it's '1' because you're working with the default VS.

>The smtpsvc has a value of
>2048kb (I'm not sure where this applies.)

There's also a "default" for the entire set of smtpsvc in all the
Virtual Servers.

>Under 1 the MaxMessageSize
>has a value of 4096kb (or equivalent of) which is where the virtual
>SMTP server seems to be getting it's value from.

If 4MB is the value you want, that's a "good thing".

But it's also a "bad thing" if you replicate public folder messages
between servers and the messages exceed the value you put into the
Virtual Server. MS recommends that you don't use the VS message
limits, but that just leaves the "SIZE" keyword with no parameter --
which means you probably won't reject any message that's too large
until you're received the whole thing. That's just silly.

>I tired changing it
>and it registers the new value which is good (also notes change in
>event log) , but the root cause of the problem isn't solved yet.

>I restarted the System Attendant service and didn't see any 1005 events
>after it restarted.

You said that you saw the MSExchangeMU events after you changed the
value in the Virtual Server, right?

					[ snip ]

>their's no repeat of the 1047 error.  Again, theirs no 1005 errors in
>the logs and if I change the value for the virtual server in ESM the
>change doens't get replicated.

So, the change you mentioned above isn't from the source MSExchangeMU?

Check the registry on the server:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMU\Diagnostics
Value name: 1 General
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x5 (or 0x7)   set it to 0x0 to turn off logging

>I ran replmon on my domain controllers
>and everything is replicating ok.  I have 2 DC's & 1 exchange box -
>Exchange 2003 running on W2k SP4.  The 2 DC's or Wk2 SP4 as well.
>
>Is their a command that will force ds2mb to replicate...or can it be
>reinstalled some how?

Is the "Remote Registry" service running on that server?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Good news.  I was finally able to find out what was causing the
problem.  Check out: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906154
I was led there from an event log entry and although the symptoms
Microsoft was saying didn't apply in my case (exchange attendant
service not starting) my IIS value was set to 0.0.0.0 so I changed it
to the recommended value, restarted the system attendant service and
the virtual server limits update when changes are made in ESM.  So I
think I'm all set.

Thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate your advice and pointing
me in the right direction.

-Mike

how to format :send picture with message: as a default
each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express for my mail. LYNNY <LYNNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send > picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there > permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express > for my mail. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

CRM repair problem: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOp
Hi, got the following problem when trying to repair Mircrosoft CRM: 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.TurnOnSetupModeAction 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction 11:17:10|Verbose| Retrieving CUserAuth data ... 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.UserId: {2315eb52-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.MerchantId: {b036f143-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:21| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction failed....

SQL Server
I'm currently using MS-Access to write reports using a SQL Server db as the data source in a client/server arrangement. The database is sufficiently large (2gb) that data retrieval speed is an issue. The current setup is linked tables to the SQL Server db via ODBC, and then the usual queries. 1. Can views and/or stored procedures on the SQL Server side along with paramaterized queries provide a significant performance boost? 2. I've read that views and stored procedures can be created w/i Access. Is this the same as creating them in SQL Server? 3. Are there other things I sho...

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

How to delete or permantly change logo in personal settings
When I was just learnng how to do publisher I created a logo and Iwant to change it in the permanant settings for the personal information. I cannot delete it or edit it. Also on the other 3 settings for secondary, home etc. it does not alowany logo at all. Anyone know? Locate the following files and delete them: Primary Business - biz1logo.jsp Secondary Business - biz2logo.jsp Other Organization - Orglogo.jsp Home/Family - Perslogo.jsp -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ...

SMTP Connector #12
Hi, I have an exchange 2003 (standard) server that hosts multiple domains. 5 of those domains are not authorative, and I have set up SMPT connectors that relay any mail that is not claimed by my server to another exchange server (that I have no control over). The first three of these connectors work perfectly, the last two I created always give me the following error You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <tkw2dc1.mth.co.nz #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for joe@domain,com> tkw2dc1 is my server. All the d...

alter default view for operations
I'd like to just see parameter types, not names. I don't want to see: methodName( in request : LongRequestObjectName ) : ResponseObjectName I'd like to see: methodName( LongRequestObjectName ) : ResponseObjectName -------------- Justin ...

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

Exch 2000 freezes after recieving 8000 smtp mails
Hi, Environment Win2000 sp4 Xeon 1,8GHz, 2GB RAM Exchange 2000 Antigen 8.0 for Exchange Problem description. The server is very slow after receiving 8000 smtp mail in a short period of time. We use the exchange server to send bulk mail to our customers. About 25 % of the mail addresses are fake (nobody@hotmail.com). The bulk mails are generated from a unix-system. The exchange server receives the smtp-mails fast and with no errors. First the users complained about internal mail not working. Cpu about 0-5 % Disk activity not checked at this time The queues for Default smt...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Creating a new default message template
I have a email template that I want to make the default. In other words, when you click on New to create a new email, I want the message template that I have created to come up as the default. Does anyone know how to do this? What you are proposing is a very bad idea. Using a custom form as the = default for new messages will guarantee that non-Outlook recipients = won't be able to read attachments you send.=20 I'd suggest that you back up and explain what functionality you were = hoping to add by changing the message form, and in what version of = Outlook.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, ...

Rows and Columns Settings Problem
How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scrol down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out XL Help for "Freeze Panes" In article <JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>, JMorgan <<JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scroll > down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s). Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

HQ Client
We are trying to process 501 worksheet from different stores. But these worksheets are getting timed out. There are about 40K items on each store. We tried communicating one store at a time, but with no results. Can someone help? Thanks in advance ...

Changing default address book from Global to Contacts
I would like to change the Outlook 2000 default of listing the Global Adress book from our internal network to opening our shared business contacts when you click the "To:" button when addressing a new email. Does anybody know how to accomplish this? Thank you in advance. Go to Tools > Options > Addressing Tab and choose which Contacts folder to show first. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brad Streeeer" <brad@aerospecialties.com> wrote in message news:0b2501c3c3f4$f69d8220$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to change the Outlook 2000 default of listing &...

email defaults to personal folder
Hello we have run into a new problem at my work. About 5 new people started recently and the all tried to open their email accounts before they were properly setup. Because no server was entered they now have a top folder called "Personal Folders". What we have been doing to fix the situation is to right click on the outlook icon choose > properties > email accounts > Add a new email account. This method then adds the user's mailbox to outlook. The problem however is that we have lost old calendar information as well as the mail defaults to the personal folder ...

CRM 3.0 SDK Web Services
Hi I am writing a small data migration tool to migrate account and contact data. I have approximate 1500 accounts and 6000 contacts to import to CRM 3.0. I finished the application and ran the data migration, I will able to migrate all of the account records without any problem at all. when I run the contact migration, it can migrate 2800 contact records when it get over 2800, my application throw me the following error message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. I am running CRM 3.0, SQL server and my data migration on the same server. I am wonder w...

web server does not open
I published a website http://a542104.uscgaux.info using FP several months ago. Accessing this site for installing/maintenance requires a user ID and password. Recently when I tried to update (the website uses FP Extensions, which I had used before with no problem) the site I get an error message with several options, none of which apply. The ID and password are correct, since I can access the cpanel by using them. But now, when I try to upload new pages from my computer, the website doesn't recognize me at all and does not even ask for the ID and password. Any suggestions...

SMTP-Virtual Server -Emails Stuck
Dear All, I have something happen here, which is UPNORMAL. We were having workgroup with 25 users, and one WinProxy Box with 2 Nic cards on it, and one connected to the LAN, and one connect to the ISP through VSAT with Real IP. No DNS internal at all, all of my users configured with Default gateway of the internal IP of WinProxy , and also able to browse internet with WebProxy client of WinProxy. Also, the mail server which is hosted in USA, we were using POP3 on MS-outlook behind the WinProxy- i mean in the configuration of outlook, we used to put the IP-Address of WinProxy i...

Defaults in Publisher 2003
Is there a way of changing defaults in Publisher 2003. Specifically I want to: * set default measurement unit to centimeters * set default border of a text box to black line, .75 pt * set Tools menu>Commercial Printing Tools>Fonts so that TrueType fonts are always embedded. Many thanks Chris ...

Server install not taking my disk 2
I'm installing from Microsoft volume licensing disks. After the installation is mostly done, while installing SQL Server Reporting Services, I get prompted to insert the next disk. I pop in disk #2 (or #3 for that matter), and it doesn't proceed - it simply continues to ask for the next disk. I'm installing to a virtual server using VMware. Also, I thought it odd that the disks are from different months, but apparently that's how it's supposed to be. Disk 1 is dated Feb 2006, Disk 2 is Dec 2005, and Disk 3 is May 2006. Any ideas of what could be wrong?? Might try...

Migrating from Novell to Windows 2000 server causes issues with .PST on Win95/98
All: Hopefully someone has seen this before and can provide a clue. We are currently migrating all of our user home directories from Novell 5 servers to Windows 2000 servers. The majority of our clients are XP and Windows 2000 workstations using Outlook 2000. However, there are still a number of clients using Windows 95/98 and Outlook 98. After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error' when attempting to open their .PST folder from the ...

Combo box default value multiautocomplete
Hi All i have a subform with 10 item. The first one is a combo box that can choose the value from a list that is linked to a table with many record. This subform is related to the master form with link master field codice,cognome,nome link child field codice,cognome,nome that are the other items that are not visualize in the subform. These link give me the right connection to the master form. Normally when i choose the value from list (table) i place also all the other item in the subform using this code in after update precedure Me.ISEE.Value = Me.ISEE.Column(0) Me.F_Costo_con_M...

Web hyperlinks: default browser and resulting browser window size?
Hi, Am using Excel 97 (I know it is old but I like it!) with Windows XP Pro (SP2). Have a series of web hyperlinks in a worksheet, that load the current chart for a specified chart, from Yahoo Finance. For example: http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/c/tls.ax will load the chart for the Australian telco "Telstra". All the links work just fine but have two questions: 1) My default internet browser is Firefox but the links always open Internet Explorer. Is there a way to ensure that Firefox is used? 2) The loaded chart appears in a maximised IE window. Which is a bit silly as t...

Setting Up a Novel #2
I would like to write a book using Publisher 2002. How can I set this up to achieve optimum results in the shortest period of time? I need Table of Contents, Chapters, Page Numbers, Graphics, Formatting Styles, Headers, Footers, Glossary, Index, etc Is this the right application to use for this job? Thanks Barry Barry wrote: > I would like to write a book using Publisher 2002. How can I set this up to > achieve optimum results in the shortest period of time? I need Table of > Contents, Chapters, Page Numbers, Graphics, Formatting Styles, Headers, > Footers, Glossary, Inde...