Service Pack 1 for server 2003, broke my Exchange

I have an exchange server here and I believe my problem to be more on the
networking side. After updating to Service Pack 1 for server 2003 I notice
that I am loosing connectivity on one of the subnets that the server has.

Now I know it's the correct thing to do, but the server was configured with
two IP Addresses from two different subnets; 10.0.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24.
This was done so that the office on the 10.0.0.0/24 network could talk to
exchange and do their tasks.

The 192.168.1.0/24 Address was added to allow email to be sent from the
outside world to the exchange server, and also allow for OWA / over https to
the server as well.

This all worked fine for over a year; then we installed sp1 and all has gone
to heck.

It seems if I rebuild the adapter using the utility provided in windows it
corrects itself, but at any random moment it goes back to not working from
the 192.168.1.0/24 side.

What I am going to do in a few hours is add a 2nd network card into the
system, in an attempt to rectify the problem.  If anyone here can help me
understand what went wrong it would be helpful for me now and in the future.

Thanks

0
netlister (4)

"NewGuy" <netlister@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have an exchange server here and I believe my problem to be more on the
>networking side. After updating to Service Pack 1 for server 2003 I notice
>that I am loosing connectivity on one of the subnets that the server has.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask this question in one of the Windows
2003 O/S newsgroups?

					[ snip ]

>This all worked fine for over a year; then we installed sp1 and all has gone
>to heck.
>
>It seems if I rebuild the adapter using the utility provided in windows it
>corrects itself, but at any random moment it goes back to not working from
>the 192.168.1.0/24 side.

It would help if you described the problem in some way other than "all
gone to heck".

>What I am going to do in a few hours is add a 2nd network card into the
>system,

That'd be a good idea.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

> "NewGuy" <netlister@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an exchange server here and I believe my problem to be more on the
>>networking side. After updating to Service Pack 1 for server 2003 I notice
>>that I am loosing connectivity on one of the subnets that the server has.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to ask this question in one of the Windows
> 2003 O/S newsgroups?
>
> [ snip ]
>
>>This all worked fine for over a year; then we installed sp1 and all has
>>gone
>>to heck.
>>
>>It seems if I rebuild the adapter using the utility provided in windows it
>>corrects itself, but at any random moment it goes back to not working from
>>the 192.168.1.0/24 side.
>
> It would help if you described the problem in some way other than "all
> gone to heck".
>
>>What I am going to do in a few hours is add a 2nd network card into the
>>system,
>
> That'd be a good idea.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

rasilon1 (689)
6/10/2005 8:04:47 AM
Check out KB 898060.  This *might* be the cause of what you are seeing.
Here is part of a description:

SYMPTOMS
Network connectivity between clients and servers may fail. This failure
occurs after the installation of either security update MS05-019 or
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Any one or more of the
following symptoms may occur:

..       Inability to connect to terminal servers or to file share access.
..       Failure of domain controller replication across WAN links.
..       Inability of Microsoft Exchange servers to connect to domain
controllers.
These symptoms are more likely to occur in WAN and LAN scenarios. These
scenarios typically exist where routers and data-link level protocols that
have different Maximum Transmission Units (MTUs) are used across the
network. In this scenario, the sending host can receive several Internet
Control Message Protocol (ICMP) destination unreachable messages that have
MTU updates for a destination.

    There is a hotfix available for this problem, but you will need to call
PSS.  Tell the PSS operator you just need a hotfix.  There is also a phone
menu option for that.  As always, test the fix before you put it in to
place.

--
Jim McBee
Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"NewGuy" <netlister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an exchange server here and I believe my problem to be more on the
>networking side. After updating to Service Pack 1 for server 2003 I notice
>that I am loosing connectivity on one of the subnets that the server has.
>

> Now I know it's the correct thing to do, but the server was configured
> with two IP Addresses from two different subnets; 10.0.0.0/24 and
> 192.168.1.0/24. This was done so that the office on the 10.0.0.0/24
> network could talk to exchange and do their tasks.
>
> The 192.168.1.0/24 Address was added to allow email to be sent from the
> outside world to the exchange server, and also allow for OWA / over https
> to the server as well.
>

> This all worked fine for over a year; then we installed sp1 and all has
> gone to heck.
>
> It seems if I rebuild the adapter using the utility provided in windows it
> corrects itself, but at any random moment it goes back to not working from
> the 192.168.1.0/24 side.
>

> What I am going to do in a few hours is add a 2nd network card into the
> system, in an attempt to rectify the problem.  If anyone here can help me
> understand what went wrong it would be helpful for me now and in the
> future.
>

> Thanks

0
jmcbee9404 (625)

How do you automatically save sent messages in Outlook 2003?
Tools>Options>email options. "Hal" wrote: > Have you looked in the "Sent Items" folder ? ...

MS-Exchange Rejecting message
Hi all, I have an AIX server running sendmail and /etc/relay-domains has and entry for the local server. I am trying to send e-mail to MS-Exchange 2000 mail server using mailx program on unix however it comes back with the message saying "Can not relay for receiver@domain.com". I have tested the SMTP mail transfer using "telnet IP 25" with MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO: and DATA from both ends and it works fine. However, if I use the mailx, MS-Exchange rejects the message immediately. On MS-Exchange, the relay is on for anyone. Your help is much appreciated in advance. Thanks, AQ ...

after deployment xml web service does not work
Can you give me some suggestions of why the xml web service is not working? I have an xml web service that works in my visual studio. net 1.1 environment. I setup this project up for deployment doing the following steps: 1. add a web setup project called "testaddr". 2. in file system window, select Web Application folder. 3. in the left pane of the file system window, right-click web application, point to add, and then click output project. 4. Select Primary output and content files and then click OK. 5. in solution explorer, right click Build on "tested". 6. I doubl...

how to backup pst outlook 2003 for everything?
I do a backup and all I get back is my emails. How do I do one backup that saves contacts, sent mail, other folders? Don Smith wrote: > I do a backup and all I get back is my emails. How do I do one backup > that saves contacts, sent mail, other folders? Contacts, sent Items, tasks and calendar ARE in your pst file. They can't be anywhere else. Unless, you use Exchange server. -- Registered Linux User no 240308 to email me invalidate the invalid! In news:u5bpj217nq2dh37l313h141srrbn0p94ad@4ax.com, Don Smith <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> typed: > I do a backup and all I get...

Limits of Excel 2003
The worksheet have 256 columns. There are some way to increase this columns to 800 Hi no, not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ReneCabrera" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0afb01c4a258$85bdd990$a501280a@phx.gbl... > The worksheet have 256 columns. There are some way to > increase this columns to 800 ...

Exchange 2003 standard
Greetings! How can I determine if SP2 is installed on a Exchange 2003 server? On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:53:04 -0500, TedN <tdstr@foadspammer.com> wrote: >Greetings! > >How can I determine if SP2 is installed on a Exchange 2003 server? Properties of the server object in ESM or run ExBpa against the server. Open Exchange System Manager, drill down and click on the Servers container. All servers will be listed along with details such as which SP is applied. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (R...

Can you set the primary email address from outlook 2003?
We have parent company and a subsidiary which are served by out exchange server (2003 Std.). There are two SMTP domains. Some employees do work for both companies and it would be useful for them to have an schizophrenic email presence (i.e., two email addresses, one with each company name). Giving them a second email address associated with their mailbox is simple enough. However, I do not know how to (allow *them* to) control the "from" address on outbound mail. This can be some by changing the primary email address using the exchange system manager. Is there an end-user way of doi...

Error in Outlook 2000 / 2003
Hello: I am getting this error with 2000 / 2003 Outlook clients using an Exchange 2000 Server: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' I found a tech note about it being the Offline Address Book on the Exchange side, however I can't seem to find the fix. Anyone have the answer? Thanks in Advance David Try reselecting your offline address book server in its properties within the ESM, and perhaps within the priv mailbox database properties as well. -- David Wyatt MCSE, MCSA 2000/2003 Mes...

Money 2003 #2
I got a new computer with Windows XP and Money 2003 installed. I'm still using my old computer at another location and it has Windows 98 and Money 2002 installed. Am I able to back up my money file on a zip disc and use it on both computers and if so how? I was able to put info on 2003 from 2002, but I'm having difficulty doing the reverse. My 2002 version is asking for a password and I haven't assigned any passwords. Please help. Marie You are having difficulty doing the reverse because it is not possible. Money data files are not backward compatible. The password me...

Personal.xls blown away in 2003 update.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could recover the personal.xls file? The "winners" in the ITS department updated everyone last night and overwrote directory. Do you have a backup? Do they have a backup? Without a backup, I think you're in trouble. And are you sure they overwrote it? You may want to Windows start button|search for that personal.xls (just in case). drbobsled wrote: > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could recover the personal.xls > file? > The "winners" in the ITS department updated everyone last night and...

MAPI Problem with Exchange 2000 and ARCServe Agent
My ARCServe BrightStore backup software will no longer perform a bricks-level backup (information store backup works fine). The bricks-level backup uses MAPI functions where the information store backup does not. The ARCServe tech support finally determined the problem is with my Exchange 2000 server and not their software. The only change I made to my network recently is I upgraded my Windows 2000 domain to a Windows 2003 domain using domainprep and forestprep because I wanted to upgrade only my domain controllers to Windows 2003. My Exchange 2000 server is sitting on a Windows 2000 Se...

CRM 1.2
Is it possible in CRM 1.2 to do one of the following when an account is created 1. create a new case 2. run a process created under Cases ? ...

Virus Scanner for SBS 2003.
Can anybody recommend a good virus scanner for Exchange 2003 running on 2003 Small Business Server. thanks Gav http://www.trendmicro.com/download/product.asp?productid=39 "Gav" <gav@nospam.com> wrote in message news:e0XXuvvZHHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Can anybody recommend a good virus scanner for Exchange 2003 running on > 2003 Small Business Server. > > thanks > > Gav > > you could also try posting to SBS group; might get other suggestions "Gav" <gav@nospam.com> wrote in message news:e0XXuvvZHHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.p...

Mail delivery in Exchange 2003
Hi all, here is the problem when I tired to send mail to someone@somewhere.com, I got undeliverable report from my server saying that mail is not delivered to someone@somewhere.com.uk. I asked administrator of somewhere.com, he said that their SMTP gateway did receive a mail from us, but the address was someone@somewhere.com.uk. I used hotmail and yahoo mail to send mail to someone@somewhere.com, both success. I tired to send mail to someperson@somewhere.com, also success. any one have idea on this ???? Many thanks, Alex Hi, May be - there is a forwarding rul...

Outlook 2003 Event ID 19
I am experiencing some significant difficultiew with Outlook 2003 running against Exchange 5.5. Periodically (at least 5 times per day) I will have my AD account "locked out" after I receive a series of "Rpc call (EcDoRpc) to server (MYSERVER) failed with error code (5) after waiting (1031) ms; eeInfo (none)." My PC is NOT part of the domain and I access exchange via the domain\username method on outlook. Any help tracking down this would be greatly appreciated as it is driving my SysAdmins NUTS constantly unlocking my AD account. ...

[BUG]:Visio 2003, 2007
Hi, there. Create text block. Set underline of text. Change Drawing Scale to 10:1. Thickness of underline is increase. Digitall. ...

Outlook 2003 IMAP Special Folders?
Is there a way in Outlook 2003 to designate specific folders on the server as "special". For example, can I tell Outlook to treat the folder "Trash" on the server as "Deleted Items", "Spam" as "Junk E-mail" and "Sent" as "Sent Items"? Thanks in advance. -- Wiley Wiley Q. Hacker <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way in Outlook 2003 to designate specific folders on the > server as "special". For example, can I tell Outlook to treat the > folder "Trash" on the server as &quo...

Exchange 2003 OWA read receipts
I have a Exchange 2003 SP2 Server that the users all connect with OWA. I need to globally set that the all the users are set to Always sends a Response to Read Requests. What is happening is the users reads the emails and nothing is being set because it is set to no response and they just delete the email. That is not what management is wanting they want that acknowledgement to know the users are reading the emails. Any ideas on how to do this Thanks Roger Crawford HTS I don't think its an exchange feature but outlook feature. You may have to use GPO to override outlook setti...

Exchange backub
Hello, got a quickie: If I setup backup on SBS2003 server marking C, D disks, System state and Microsoft Exchange server (ekspanded through servername\microsoft information store\first information store).... .... can I, on C: disk, unmark C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr so it wouldn't be backuped as file, since I included it in backup above? (this is 28 GB less to backup) Kerempuh wrote: > Hello, > > got a quickie: > > If I setup backup on SBS2003 server marking C, D disks, > System state and Microsoft Exchange server (ekspanded through > serverna...

Lost Exchange Connectivity
I had a Domain Controller fail in our domain. This controller was the one handling the Recipient Update Service (Enterprise Configuration) in Exchange 2000. I can no longer create a user in Active Directory and have the Mailbox show in Exchange. How do I get the remaining domain controller that is being used for validation to handle the mailbox update to Exchange until I can restore the other DC? "Timothy" <Timothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had a Domain Controller fail in our domain. This controller was the one >handling the Recipient Update Service (En...

Exchange Backup Question
Exchange 2003 SP1, Server 2003 SP1: If I use NTBackup to backup my Exchange Server, and the databases are kept on D: instead of the system partition C:. When creating a backup job I only need to back up the C Drive and scroll all the way to the bottom to back up System State and then Microsoft Exchange Information Store. I do not need to back up D: right,becvause it is automatically backed up with the Information Store. Am I right? Backing up D: also be causing a redundant backup right? Also, if what I stated is the case and I ever had to restore the databasees would it preserve the pa...

Exchange 5,5
System Attendant service is not available. Please help me, what i must do What is the error in the Event Viewer? -- Regards, Hank Arnold <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:457f01c3b1e1$caa429a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > System Attendant service is not available. > Please help me, what i must do Hi, In Event Viewer no errors, and when I change or modify Microsof Internet Mail system shows : The MSExchangeSA service is not available. ID no C1031668, and i check all steps in knowledge in page 171049 - XDAM Error Msg. Trying to Modify E-mail Addres...

Multiply Exchange Accounts
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Can Office:Mac 2008 Can Entourage handle 2 different exchange accounts at the same time? These was possible with Entourage in Office 2004 Home and Student version. gemcconnell@officeformac.com wrote: > Can Office:Mac 2008 Can Entourage handle 2 different exchange > accounts at the same time? These was possible with Entourage in > Office 2004 Home and Student version. Entourage in both the standard version of Office 2008 and Office 2008 Special media Edition supports multiple Exchange accounts. Entourage in ...

Exchange 2000, Outlook 2007, Public Folder Missing
Hi guys, need some help. We run a single Exchange 2000 server with Outlook 2000 clients and public folders work fine. Using a user account with Public Folders verified working in Outlook 2000, the Public Folders dont appear to be available within Outlook 2007. Is there any steps required to get access to public folders on an exchange 2000 server using outlook 2007? Thanks, Anthony are you looking on the folder list? ctrl+6 to bring it up. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/begin...

Setting Up Online Services
(originally posted at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12969711) I've used MS Money for years, but have never really taken advantage of all its features. Recently (when helping a friend reinstall his copy) I discovered that I can set up some of my banks for automatic online services -- where it will connect and download transactions for me automagically. This is exactly what I've been wanting for ages!!! The only problem is that when I set this up, it created new accounts -- and only downloaded a small range of transactions (30 days on one, 2 weeks on the other). And whe...