Server side attachment blocking?

Does exchange 2003 include server side attachment blocking? I had thought it
was configurable natively without any add-on software, but seem to be unable
to find such a control, nor any documentation about it on the MS sites.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

0
cking (5)

no you are able to check the RBL (Relay Blacklists) with exchange 2003 as
far as i am aware.  you would have to use something like GFI Mail Security.

Simon
"Chris King" <cking@whitneyhakws.com> wrote in message
> Does exchange 2003 include server side attachment blocking? I had thought
it
> was configurable natively without any add-on software, but seem to be
unable
> to find such a control, nor any documentation about it on the MS sites.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

0
simon4908 (11)
2/16/2004 4:16:48 PM
I believe you can do this with an event sink (sorry I don't have a KB
handy), but note, you really really ought to be running good exchange AV
software anyway, and it can do this for you as well. I recommend both Trend
ScanMail & Sybari Antigen highly.

Chris King wrote:
> Does exchange 2003 include server side attachment blocking? I had
> thought it was configurable natively without any add-on software, but
> seem to be unable to find such a control, nor any documentation about
> it on the MS sites.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

0
lanwench (7567)
2/16/2004 4:35:19 PM
I would expect that this type of feature will be available in the
Intelligent Message Filter feature that will be coming out shortly after
the SP1 release. That is hopefully within a few months.

An overview of the IMF is at
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/security/imfoverview.asp

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Chris King" <cking@whitneyhakws.com>
>Subject: Server side attachment blocking?
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:52:20 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>Does exchange 2003 include server side attachment blocking? I had thought
it
>was configurable natively without any add-on software, but seem to be
unable
>to find such a control, nor any documentation about it on the MS sites.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Chris

0
rroddy (682)

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

Attached images
Sorry for reposting this one, but I think it might have gone unnoticed: Hi, Using Outlook 2003, there is the new resampling option for attached images. I really applaud that innovation, saves time and space when sending images that comes straight from the camera. Really good. However, I miss a 800x600 pixels option. Is it possible to have that one? 640x480 is almost too small these days and 800x600 could be just right for a small sample. I have not found any settings for this function, neither size nor compression. Are those settings just hard-coded? Regards, -- Lars Forslin "Doing ti...

Loggin inot Exchange Server
Hello, I have a couple of different platforms WinXP and WIN2000 Why is it that some users click on Outlook and BAM! they go right in...while others launch Outlook and they get a "login box" to authenticate them to the exchange server ?? Thanks beause, for the users they logon dierectly to the server the have the "windows authantication" options seletcted. and for the other ones, they have "none" selected, that is whay it asks for the username and password. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > > >I have a couple of different platforms ...

CRM Time Clock Different Then System and Server Clock
Hi All, I have run into an odd situation whereas one of my users CRM lists a different time clock within CRM. When they create an entry in CRM there is a three hour difference between the time they enter it and what is actually recorded within CRM. For instance, the user will enter an update of information about a client and a conversation they had. They enter it at 11am and yet CRM shows that the entry was entered at 8am. Both the users local time clock and server are set for the correct time for Eastern Standard Time. This only appears to have happened with one user. No other ...

Re: Count "hours", as 1 each? Example attached....Please Help!
I am totally stumped... I would like if possible to count how many hours each employee worked, from a pivot table. I have already captured how many scans each employee did, just need to get a count of total number of hours each worker worked. ( Productivity report ) Example: a b c d e f g H 1 employee 8 AM 9AM 10AM 11AM 12PM 1PM TOTAL 2 3 BOB 40 49 50 55 80 274 4 NANCY 50 60 50 100 30 290 5 SUE 25 20 20 20 85 blank cells are when the worker scanned ...

Move Exchange to new server
Hello all Currently we have exchange 2003 sp2 installed on one of our 2000 DC\GC We have bought a new server that we will dedicate to Exchange only. After I move all the mailboxes, public folders, and system folders from the DC\GC\Exchange box to the dedicated server, can i then remove Exchange 2003 from the 2000 DC? If so could you please point me to the article on how to move exchange to another server, and how also how to remove exchange ? The dedicated server running Exhchagne will be 2003 sp1. We have 3 2000 DC in the forest that i will upgrade to 2003 Thanks Follow this artic...

Warning 1025 on exchange 2003 enterprise server
Hi Just today I saw a warning showing up in application log of my exchange server. I have exchange 2003 enterprise server with sp1. It is running on a dual processor server with storage connected to it. Since the upgrade from 5.5 (a month back) everything has been going very smooth. I tried to find a solution for this warning on Microsoft KB and eventid.net but cannot find the real cause/solution for 2003 exchange as all those Kbs are for 2000 or 5.5 exchange. The error exactly looks like this: Source: MSExchnageIS mailbox, Type: warning, category: general, eventid: 1025 An error occurred on...

Exchange 5.5 server -- edb.log files are filling my hard drive!!
I am running Exchange 5.5 and my hard drive is filling up with all of the log files. The server is in the process of completing a full backup and hasn't finished yet but I have over 1GB of EDB.LOG files at this point in time and am running out of disk space. The weird thing is that about a month ago our backups weren't working properly and we enabled circular logging to prevent this from happening. When I check the server properties circular logging is still enabled on the Information Store but I have over 200 edb.log files!! I also noticed that the earliest log file is from 6:00 P...

Why is there an attachment (editdata.mso) to emails I send out?
All of a sudden, people who get emails from me also get an attachment (editdata.mso) to the email. I have been using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for years and this has never happened. My operating system is Windows Vista. Gloria <Gloria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > All of a sudden, people who get emails from me also get an attachment > (editdata.mso) to the email. I have been using Microsoft Outlook > 2003 for years and this has never happened. My operating system is > Windows Vista. It sounds like Word's "Normal" template has been modified. With Wor...

How to remove attached files from messages in the box ?
Hi, I would like to delete attached files from messages in my inbox, preserving the rest of the messages. With Outlook Express, I could do this using th utility "OE Quick Tool". How is it possible with Outlook 2002 ? Fred "Fred Hazel" said in news:%234jMmPr0DHA.3220@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > Hi, > > I would like to delete attached files from messages in my inbox, > preserving the rest of the messages. With Outlook Express, I could do > this using th utility "OE Quick Tool". How is it possible with > Outlook 2002 ? > > Fred I think you ha...

Update Outlook Profile Outgoing Mail Server Settings
I need to create a PRF file that is generated on the fly for my users to just update the outgoing mail server settings for already present profiles - is this possible? If so, is it possible to do this for all versions of Outlook (2000, XP, 2003, Express)? Does anyone have any hints on how to accomplish this? Thanks, Jason Not possible. A PRF file can add a new Internet account, but it cannot = modify or delete an account.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programmin...

why do my .pdf and .doc email attachments arrive as winword
When I send out an email with a .pdf or .doc attachment to several people there are always a few that receive the attachment as "winword" and are unable to open it. When they send it back to me it comes back as I sent it out. You don't mention what type of e-mail client these folks use, but when in doubt, set your message format to plain text since there are folks out there are solution out there that can't support the "Rich Text" format that Outlook uses. If using an older version of Outlook (Outlook 97/2003), you also may want to disable Microsoft...

Pop ups blocked
Hi One of our users is unable to close his activities because every time he clicks on 'Close Activity' nothing happens and at the bottom of the page there is a message stating the 'Pop-ups were blocked'. This is really urgent as the user is unable to complete his daily activities and update his communication with clients. Really appreciate any assistance. Thanks ...

How to Copy Company in the Same Server
Hi, I want to create a training company from the live company(with data) onto the same server. Is there any special procedure to do this activity. Regards musman@iffco.com Create a new company using GP Utilities. Back up the live company using Enterprise Manager Do a Force Restore of the live company database over the new company That's it! leslie "Muhammad Usman" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to create a training company from the live company(with data) onto > the same server. Is there any special procedure to do this activity. > > Regards > > mus...

Two Crm Servers 08-19-05
What are the implications of having two CRM servers on the same AD? Meaning two different CRM Servers Looking at there Own SQL Databases One implication is that only one of your CRM systems will be email enabled. The CRM router can only handle one CRM system in the AD Forest "Need Some Help" <Need@news.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:Oa9oeCKpFHA.1304@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > What are the implications of having two CRM servers on the same AD? > > Meaning two different CRM Servers Looking at there Own SQL Databases > > Another implication is that ...

SQL server full text indexing, ranking and joining to other tables
i searched the net about sql server full text indexing and ranking and got this sample sql statement and it works using 1 table only: SELECT myTable1.id, myTable1.Title, fulltextSearch.Rank FROM myTable1 JOIN FreeTextTable(myTable1, [myField1], 'awesome ranking') fulltextSearch ON myTable1.id = fulltextSearch.[KEY] ORDER BY Rank DESC what i do not know is how to make it to work when it is joined to another table. how do i do that if i have these sample tables? myTable1 ---------- id myField1 1 rrrrrrr 2 qqqqqqq 3 kkkkkkk I don't see sample tables, merely one...

Missing Transactions in GL in GP 7.5 and SQL Server 2000
We have some transactions that Accounts Payable show as posted but the GL does not have a record of it: 1. What causes this to happen> 2. How do I check in SQL Server for this type of missing transactions? 3. How do I fix them? Thanks Dear Sean, First of all check what is your posting setup is. Tools> Setup> Posting > Posting > Serieas = Purchasing Check you have selected the create A journal Entry per Transaction or Batch. It could be possible that you have posted more than 2 transaction and system has posted the summary. You also need to verify that what is the account...

Trouble Installing CRM - SQL Server
The CRM install gets stuck trying to find the SQL Server. Errors: "Can't find" or "SQL Agent must be on" yet it is on - I can SQL ping the server from the CRM server. The CRM admin has top Forest access to the SQL server. I've recycled the SQL services, rebooted booth CRM and SQL servers. Very misterious. Anybody have any ideas? I had some issues with this. I re-installed SQL server. It seems there is any issue with CRM and SQL if you add active directory to a server after you install SQL. "Darryl" wrote: > The CRM install gets stuck trying to...

Entourage Attachment Help
I am using Entourage for POP access to my Gmail account. However, a lot of my gmail attachments are very big to download, and the whole process could take some time. So, does anyone know how to download my emails without the attachment? TIA Pikkie Knippers Hi Pikkie, Tools | Accounts, double click on the account in question. Click on options. Check the box for "partially receive messages over____", and fill in a number that you feel okay with. Then attachments will not download, or only partially download. The message will show up in your inbox with a link that you can click ...

email with attachement stick in outbox
Since a few days when I send a e-mail with an attachment, I get an error (generally timeout on contacting the smtp serve), the email is sent but it stays in the outbox. I am using W2Kpro sp3, outlook XP. Emails with small attachments (less than 50K) or no attachments work fine. Can anyone help solving this problem? Thanks in advance Have you contacted your ISP? toto wrote: > Since a few days when I send a e-mail with an attachment, I get an > error (generally timeout on contacting the smtp serve), the email is > sent but it stays in the outbox. > > I am using W2Kpro sp3,...

Simple ways to modify Outlook profiles when changing server.
Hello, We have two Exchange servers in different Exchange Orgs, which we want to consolidate. One is Ex5.5, the target is Ex2003. There are about 500 users. The servers aren't used (yet) for mail - only for Contacts, Tasks, Public Folders, etc. We want to move all the data to the Ex2003 server and then switch over all the users in one go. I know we can use a tool in the logon script to change each user's Outlook 2002 profile to use the new server. However, could a simple soln be to shut down the old server, disconnect it from the network and chaneg its DNS record point towards the ne...

Outlook will not login to Exchange 2k server
I'm running Outlook 2002 on a WinXP box, new build. The user is on a roaming profile and can log into their Exchange email from just about any other box. On the box in question, after logging into the domain successfully and running Outlook, Outlook keeps on asking for her login information again and says that it is invalid. The Exchange 2k server was an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 last April so I don't know if the Outlook is for some reason looking for the old Exchange 5.5 server somehow, but her profile works on other boxes. Any ideas? Thanks! Ken Wheeler kwheeler@netlink...

Attachment in Email Template
Hi, Can we insert attachment file in the email template? Regards, Abraham ...

step for setup mail server in domain
Hi, We want to setup new exchange 2007 server in the domain, and wehave installed exchange server and also able to send mail to internal users but unable to send mail to external mail ids, Please tell me all required things that we need to be done like public ip , domain registration, dns settings... i don not know about these steps,,but have the knowledge of exchange server 2007 can i send mail to external domain for only test purpose , Step by Step for setting up Send Connector, http://www.petri.co.il/configuring-exchange-2007-send-external-email.htm As for se...

Second 2000 Exchange Server
I've recently installed a second 2000 Exchange server, running forest and domain prep before the install. The server installed fine and I can see the first and second server within Exchange System Manager without any problems. That being said, there remain a few issues with this server and are as follows: 1. This second server I installed, is very slow with sending file attachments. It reminds me of a print spooling issue, where the job should be spooled thus freeing up the client. The client will often hang until the file attachment is sent, tying up the Outlook client (2000 & 2...