This has been bugging me, I have a win2K box with smtp installed, I want to
allow users to send messages from exchange to the win2k server where they
will be processed by some scripts.

I have never tried this before and I am not sure of:
1. what is the address of the server (servername@domain.com?)
2. how should the exchange account/address be configured

Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Mark

0
Mark

Mark Davey wrote:
> This has been bugging me, I have a win2K box with smtp installed, I want
> allow users to send messages from exchange to the win2k server where they
> will be processed by some scripts.
>
> I have never tried this before and I am not sure of:
> 1. what is the address of the server (servername@domain.com?)
> 2. how should the exchange account/address be configured
>
> Any advice gratefully received
> Thanks
> Mark

Hi,

I  don't understand clearly that you want to do !

The SMTP service on a simple windows 2000 is not a messaging system.
It can just be a "relay" SMTP (receive and resend), or a "send-only" system
(for a web application), or "receive-all".
=> The last option is the possibility to receive all messages in a system
directory. (without any notion of mailboxes...)

If you installed a SMTP on a server to scan messages and/or resend messages,
you just have to indicate the IP/Name of SMTP server in the "Active Host" of
the Exchange SMTP conector.
=> This is good for outgoing messages and not for local ones...

Bye.

Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL�
MVP Exchange,SQL/Server,[MCSE option Messaging, MCSA 2003].
FAQ Exchange: http://faqexchange.dyndns.org ou http://exchange.faq.free.fr
Site personnel: http://webfamilial.dyndns.org/thierry/pageprincipale.htm
http://tdeman.free.fr/thierry/pageprincipale.htm

What I want to do is receive mail message in the server mailbox, so these
can then be read into a vbscript application.

We are currently doing this on a unix system, the emails are request for our
archiving system.  I need to be able to
1. send emails to and address,
2. this address will deposit a file in the mailbox on the server
3. I will then use a script to retrieve these emails and act upon the
contents.

Hope this makes a bit more sense

Mark

"Thierry DEMAN [MVP]" <tdemanNOSPAM@NOSPAMfree.fr> wrote in message
> Mark Davey wrote:
> > This has been bugging me, I have a win2K box with smtp installed, I want
> > allow users to send messages from exchange to the win2k server where
they
> > will be processed by some scripts.
> >
> > I have never tried this before and I am not sure of:
> > 1. what is the address of the server (servername@domain.com?)
> > 2. how should the exchange account/address be configured
> >
> > Any advice gratefully received
> > Thanks
> > Mark
>
> Hi,
>
> I  don't understand clearly that you want to do !
>
> The SMTP service on a simple windows 2000 is not a messaging system.
> It can just be a "relay" SMTP (receive and resend), or a "send-only"
system
> (for a web application), or "receive-all".
> => The last option is the possibility to receive all messages in a system
> directory. (without any notion of mailboxes...)
>
> If you installed a SMTP on a server to scan messages and/or resend
messages,
> you just have to indicate the IP/Name of SMTP server in the "Active Host"
of
> the Exchange SMTP conector.
> => This is good for outgoing messages and not for local ones...
>
> Bye.
>
> Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL�
> MVP Exchange,SQL/Server,[MCSE option Messaging, MCSA 2003].
> FAQ Exchange: http://faqexchange.dyndns.org ou http://exchange.faq.free.fr
> Site personnel: http://webfamilial.dyndns.org/thierry/pageprincipale.htm
> http://tdeman.free.fr/thierry/pageprincipale.htm

0
Mark
1/17/2004 4:10:01 PM
There is no such thing.  Create a user account for some service with a name
that represents what it will do, such as order processing, and design your
scripts to run on messages delivered to that mailbox.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Mark Davey" <mark@*shadowfax.plus.com> wrote in message
> What I want to do is receive mail message in the server mailbox, so these
> can then be read into a vbscript application.
>
> We are currently doing this on a unix system, the emails are request for
our
> archiving system.  I need to be able to
> 1. send emails to and address,
> 2. this address will deposit a file in the mailbox on the server
> 3. I will then use a script to retrieve these emails and act upon the
> contents.
>
> Hope this makes a bit more sense
>
> Mark
>
> "Thierry DEMAN [MVP]" <tdemanNOSPAM@NOSPAMfree.fr> wrote in message
> > Mark Davey wrote:
> > > This has been bugging me, I have a win2K box with smtp installed, I
want
> > > allow users to send messages from exchange to the win2k server where
> they
> > > will be processed by some scripts.
> > >
> > > I have never tried this before and I am not sure of:
> > > 1. what is the address of the server (servername@domain.com?)
> > > 2. how should the exchange account/address be configured
> > >
> > > Any advice gratefully received
> > > Thanks
> > > Mark
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I  don't understand clearly that you want to do !
> >
> > The SMTP service on a simple windows 2000 is not a messaging system.
> > It can just be a "relay" SMTP (receive and resend), or a "send-only"
> system
> > (for a web application), or "receive-all".
> > => The last option is the possibility to receive all messages in a
system
> > directory. (without any notion of mailboxes...)
> >
> > If you installed a SMTP on a server to scan messages and/or resend
> messages,
> > you just have to indicate the IP/Name of SMTP server in the "Active
Host"
> of
> > the Exchange SMTP conector.
> > => This is good for outgoing messages and not for local ones...
> >
> > Bye.
> >
> > Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL�
> > MVP Exchange,SQL/Server,[MCSE option Messaging, MCSA 2003].
> > FAQ Exchange: http://faqexchange.dyndns.org ou
http://exchange.faq.free.fr
> > Site personnel: http://webfamilial.dyndns.org/thierry/pageprincipale.htm
> > http://tdeman.free.fr/thierry/pageprincipale.htm

0
curspice (14)
1/17/2004 6:43:29 PM
Sure there is.  You want to set up a contact with a destination address of
SMTP:someuser_that-makes-sense-to-you@FQDN of server.
That's pretty much what the SMTP server on Win2K is for.

The address isn't important, since there are no mailboxes on a Win2K SMTP
server.  They all go to the file system if it's authoratative for the domain
else it relays.  Try this out.  You may need to setup a route for it; it's
been a while since I've set this type of routing up.

If you haven't already, you can likely find some script samples on technet
in the script center.

Al

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@pacbellnospam.net> wrote in message
> There is no such thing.  Create a user account for some service with a
name
> that represents what it will do, such as order processing, and design your
> scripts to run on messages delivered to that mailbox.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mark Davey" <mark@*shadowfax.plus.com> wrote in message
> > What I want to do is receive mail message in the server mailbox, so
these
> > can then be read into a vbscript application.
> >
> > We are currently doing this on a unix system, the emails are request for
> our
> > archiving system.  I need to be able to
> > 1. send emails to and address,
> > 2. this address will deposit a file in the mailbox on the server
> > 3. I will then use a script to retrieve these emails and act upon the
> > contents.
> >
> > Hope this makes a bit more sense
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > "Thierry DEMAN [MVP]" <tdemanNOSPAM@NOSPAMfree.fr> wrote in message
> want
> > they

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I  don't understand clearly that you want to do !
> > >
> > > The SMTP service on a simple windows 2000 is not a messaging system.
> > > It can just be a "relay" SMTP (receive and resend), or a "send-only"
> > system
> > > (for a web application), or "receive-all".
> > > => The last option is the possibility to receive all messages in a
> system
> > > directory. (without any notion of mailboxes...)
> > >
> > > If you installed a SMTP on a server to scan messages and/or resend
> > messages,
> > > you just have to indicate the IP/Name of SMTP server in the "Active
> Host"
> > of
> > > the Exchange SMTP conector.
> > > => This is good for outgoing messages and not for local ones...
> > >
> > > Bye.
> > >
> > > Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL�
> > > MVP Exchange,SQL/Server,[MCSE option Messaging, MCSA 2003].
> > > FAQ Exchange: http://faqexchange.dyndns.org ou
> http://exchange.faq.free.fr
> > > Site personnel:
http://webfamilial.dyndns.org/thierry/pageprincipale.htm
> > > http://tdeman.free.fr/thierry/pageprincipale.htm

I misread the question, since it is posted to the wrong newsgroup, being
completely unrelated to Exchange.  Of course, what you say will work.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Al Mulnick" <amulnick_No_SPAM@ncDOTrr.com> wrote in message
> Sure there is.  You want to set up a contact with a destination address of
> SMTP:someuser_that-makes-sense-to-you@FQDN of server.
> That's pretty much what the SMTP server on Win2K is for.
>
> The address isn't important, since there are no mailboxes on a Win2K SMTP
> server.  They all go to the file system if it's authoratative for the
domain
> else it relays.  Try this out.  You may need to setup a route for it; it's
> been a while since I've set this type of routing up.
>
> If you haven't already, you can likely find some script samples on technet
> in the script center.
>
> Al
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@pacbellnospam.net> wrote in message
> > There is no such thing.  Create a user account for some service with a
> name
> > that represents what it will do, such as order processing, and design
your
> > scripts to run on messages delivered to that mailbox.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > MVP - Exchange
> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >
> > "Mark Davey" <mark@*shadowfax.plus.com> wrote in message
> > > What I want to do is receive mail message in the server mailbox, so
> these
> > > can then be read into a vbscript application.
> > >
> > > We are currently doing this on a unix system, the emails are request
for
> > our
> > > archiving system.  I need to be able to
> > > 1. send emails to and address,
> > > 2. this address will deposit a file in the mailbox on the server
> > > 3. I will then use a script to retrieve these emails and act upon the
> > > contents.
> > >
> > > Hope this makes a bit more sense
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >
> > > "Thierry DEMAN [MVP]" <tdemanNOSPAM@NOSPAMfree.fr> wrote in message
> > want
> > > they

> > > system
> > system

> > > messages,
> > Host"
> > > of

> > http://exchange.faq.free.fr
> http://webfamilial.dyndns.org/thierry/pageprincipale.htm

0
curspice (14)

Problems with creating a newsletter

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Inbox send/receive syncronizing

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Microsoft Exchange Server

Relay Servers?

Sending Email #6

Relay from unstruted server

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Can client part of initial 'client/server' install be on another m
For a fresh GP install, or for an upgrade, the initial 'client/server' is typically done all on the SQL server. We are upgrading from GP 8 to 9, and changing our SQL infrastructure from SQL 2000 on a single box to SQL 2005 on a cluster of two servers. My network mgr and my DBA both ask me: Is it really necessary to put the client portion of the initial 'client/server' install on the SQL server cluster, or can it be put on another machine? I don't know. Can anyone help? It is not necessary to install the software on the SQL Server machine. I've got a client th...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server