senders name

A very simple question, but I can't find the solution. I want to change the 
name of the sender in our external e-mails. As our logon-names we have 
John, Jim, Susan, etc. Unfortunately our external e-mails are send by 
"John" <j.smith@where.com> instead of "John Smith" <j.smith@where.com>

I have tried the following:

- changed the display name of the mailboxes. The name changes in the adress 
list but the mail still comes from "John" (even after reboot of outlook)
- put last name in with first name in mail boxes; doesn't work, really

I see a couple of solutions, but the're not really what I'm looking for:

- change the logon names form John to John Smith (change _all_ the logons?)
- change the sending order in outlook and put a smtp/pop-account (for the 
same exchange-server) in front with the good senders name
- choose to "send as..." (but then you have to do is every time you send a 
mail)

There must be a easy and simple solution to change the senders adress as 
easy as in a pop-account you make in outlook.....

oh yeah, we run SBS2K with OL2k and OLXP clients (XP Pro/2k)

TIA,
David
0
monk1 (4)
12/18/2003 1:38:53 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
865 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

If I remember rightly, it is the display name in Exchange that determines
this, but there is a problem.  When you set up the mailbox in Outlook it
configures itself using the current display name but doesn't check again -
this means that even if you alter the display name in Exchange, Outlook will
still send mail from the original display name that was set when the mailbox
was added.  The from name will be whatever is written next to the mailbox in
outlook (i.e. Outlook Today - [Mailbox - Joe Bloggs])

I think the way round it was to change a registry key on the user's
machine - not sure which one though.

"David" <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in message
news:Xns94559502771DFmonkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20...
> A very simple question, but I can't find the solution. I want to change
the
> name of the sender in our external e-mails. As our logon-names we have
> John, Jim, Susan, etc. Unfortunately our external e-mails are send by
> "John" <j.smith@where.com> instead of "John Smith" <j.smith@where.com>
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> - changed the display name of the mailboxes. The name changes in the
adress
> list but the mail still comes from "John" (even after reboot of outlook)
> - put last name in with first name in mail boxes; doesn't work, really
>
> I see a couple of solutions, but the're not really what I'm looking for:
>
> - change the logon names form John to John Smith (change _all_ the
logons?)
> - change the sending order in outlook and put a smtp/pop-account (for the
> same exchange-server) in front with the good senders name
> - choose to "send as..." (but then you have to do is every time you send a
> mail)
>
> There must be a easy and simple solution to change the senders adress as
> easy as in a pop-account you make in outlook.....
>
> oh yeah, we run SBS2K with OL2k and OLXP clients (XP Pro/2k)
>
> TIA,
> David


0
ric6686 (3)
12/18/2003 2:11:31 PM
"Ric" <ric@somewhere.com> wrote in
news:#H9zyBXxDHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: 

> "David" <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in message
> news:Xns94559502771DFmonkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20...
>> A very simple question, but I can't find the solution. I want to
>> change the
>> name of the sender in our external e-mails. 

> If I remember rightly, it is the display name in Exchange that
> determines this, but there is a problem.  When you set up the mailbox
> in Outlook it configures itself using the current display name but
> doesn't check again - this means that even if you alter the display
> name in Exchange, Outlook will still send mail from the original
> display name that was set when the mailbox was added.  
ahh, that explains it all. People kept on telling me to change the name in 
the 'display name'-field but it didn't work! Now I know why.... So, I 
should create a whole new mailbox -with the right 'display name'- if i want 
to do it the official Microsoft (@#$%@#!) way?

> I think the way round it was to change a registry key on the user's
> machine - not sure which one though.
Of course this way is fine by me......if only i would know which key...

Thanks for your answer....

David
0
monk1 (4)
12/18/2003 2:18:05 PM
David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in
news:Xns94559BA773808monkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20: 

> "Ric" <ric@somewhere.com> wrote in
> news:#H9zyBXxDHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: 
>> I think the way round it was to change a registry key on the user's
>> machine - not sure which one though.
> Of course this way is fine by me......if only i would know which
> key... 
Found it:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Mail and News\Mail 

make a new string called SenderEMail and fill in your default sender name

And it works.....thanks!

David

0
monk1 (4)
12/18/2003 3:03:46 PM
David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in
news:Xns9455A36615C1monkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20: 

> David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in
> news:Xns94559BA773808monkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20: 
> 
>> "Ric" <ric@somewhere.com> wrote in
>> news:#H9zyBXxDHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: 
>>> I think the way round it was to change a registry key on the
>>> user's machine - not sure which one though.
>> Of course this way is fine by me......if only i would know which
>> key... 
> Found it:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Mail and News\Mail 
> 
> make a new string called SenderEMail and fill in your default sender
> name 
> 
> And it works.....thanks!

ehmmm, it doesn't work on the other machines....only on 
mine.....grrmmbbll..

the search continues...

David
0
monk9812 (1)
12/19/2003 10:20:03 AM
Hi David -

On your server, open Active Directory Users & Computers and open the user's
account properties.  On the General tab, change the value in the Display
Name field . . .    ;^)

-- 
Chad A. Gross  [SBS-MVP]

SBS ROCKS!!!

"david" <monk@x5all.nl> wrote in message
news:Xns945673442B738monkxs5allnl@194.109.133.20...
> David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in
> news:Xns9455A36615C1monkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20:
>
> > David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote in
> > news:Xns94559BA773808monkxs4allnl@194.109.133.20:
> >
> >> "Ric" <ric@somewhere.com> wrote in
> >> news:#H9zyBXxDHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
> >>> I think the way round it was to change a registry key on the
> >>> user's machine - not sure which one though.
> >> Of course this way is fine by me......if only i would know which
> >> key...
> > Found it:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Mail and News\Mail
> >
> > make a new string called SenderEMail and fill in your default sender
> > name
> >
> > And it works.....thanks!
>
> ehmmm, it doesn't work on the other machines....only on
> mine.....grrmmbbll..
>
> the search continues...
>
> David


0
12/20/2003 12:48:58 AM
"Chad A Gross [SBS-MVP]" <chad.gross@laytonflower.nospam.com> wrote in
news:elDkvLpxDHA.3220@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: 

> Hi David -
> 
> On your server, open Active Directory Users & Computers and open the
> user's account properties.  On the General tab, change the value in
> the Display Name field . . .    ;^)
Hi Chad,

Thanks for your answer, but the reason for my question was that changing 
the display name didn't work for me. The name changes in the adress list, 
but not in the senders name. It seems it has to do with Outlook:

"Ric" <ric@somewhere.com> wrote in
news:#H9zyBXxDHA.2712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: 
> If I remember rightly, it is the display name in Exchange that
> determines this, but there is a problem.  When you set up the mailbox
> in Outlook it configures itself using the current display name but
> doesn't check again - this means that even if you alter the display
> name in Exchange, Outlook will still send mail from the original
> display name that was set when the mailbox was added.  

0
monk1 (4)
12/22/2003 8:44:34 AM
David <monk@xs5all.nl> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Thanks for your answer, but the reason for my question was that changing 
>the display name didn't work for me. The name changes in the adress list, 
>but not in the senders name. It seems it has to do with Outlook:

The reason this happens is that Outlook stores the value of the
Display Name in the MAPI profile when it's created.

It's probably easier to create a new profile than to change the
registry but, if you want to, here's the value:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Windows Messaging
Subsystem/Profiles/<profile-name>/13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a/001e3001

It's a REG_SZ data type.

I'm not sure if the "13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a" is a constant
GUID, though. I hope it is. :)

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
12/23/2003 1:14:22 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

DNS naming issue
My exchange server is called srv1.mydomain.com and my MX record points to mail.mydomain.com How can I tell my Exchange Server to appear as mail.mydomain.com when someone does a reverse lookup? On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:12:44 -0400, "jweldin" <jweldin@radicalsupport.com> wrote: >My exchange server is called srv1.mydomain.com and my MX record points to >mail.mydomain.com > >How can I tell my Exchange Server to appear as mail.mydomain.com when >someone does a reverse lookup? > Under the Virtual Server/Delivery/Advanced, you enter your server name under ...

Outlook 2000 does not send a read receipt to sender
When I get email that has requested a read receipt (from outlook) the read request goes to the Outbox and does not get sent. In fact it won't send. My tracking options are set for "always send a receipt" What's up? ...

Filtering by attachment name #2
Currently our server quarantines or deletes all hazardous attachment. We still receive a message in our inbox to notify us of the deleted message. I want to route these messages with a "deleted" or "quarantined" attachment to a separate mailbox using rules. How can I set up a rule that routes mail based on the name of the attachment. (Ex. if the attachment name includes "deleted" or "quarantined" send mail to "XYZ" folder.) Matt W <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I set up a rule > that routes mail ...

2003AD server not in AD, "pre-windows 2000 name is already in use"
We are trying to set up Symantec Backup Express before the first of the year. We are stuck. Part of the installation process requires us to choose the machine we are installing the client, (remote agent) to, from the AD computer list. The computer we are installing on IS our AD server, and is not on that list. When we try to add "OURDC" to that list, we get an error: "Windows cannot create the new computer object because the pre-Windows 2000 computer name OURDC is already in use. Select another name, and try again." The computer name for this machin...

THE NAME BOX
I have been using commands/formulas where i need to specify range names farily often. It is not so burdensome that i need to download the add-in, but i am interested in anyone that know a quic command that will take you from being active in a worksheet, to being active in the "Name Box" where i can specify a range name. Anyone? jws >From the keyboard, hold down <Alt> and press I N D. Hope this helps. Pete john.shaddix@gmail.com wrote: > I have been using commands/formulas where i need to specify range names > farily often. It is not so burdensome that i need t...

User name and password #2
I cannot send mail. It keeps posting the user name and password box of which all data entered is correct. I re-enter it and hit send and the box pops up again. It was working ok and nothing has been changed since. Are you on an exchange server or part of a domain? Are you using Exchange server or are you part of a domain? ...

"check name"
Is possible to make check name in outlook 2003, using the name of the front-end server?! Yes. As long as all the proper LDAP and RPC connectivity is available (ie the FE server is not behind a firewall) Active Directory will redirect the server name to the proper Exchange Back-End server. Its really Active Directory that is servicing your checkname request anyway. :-) "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:uCv9UbdQFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is possible to make check name in outlook 2003, using the name of the > front-end server?! > > ...

#name? error after saving excel spreadsheet as web page
I have written an excel spreadsheet that takes advantage of a fair number of excel functions. When I save as a web page with interactivity, I am getting #name? errors from a number of the functions in the spreadsheet (including if statements and lookups). I am using Excel 2002 on Windows XP with IE 6.0. Any suggestions on how to fix this? ...

comment has name & is bold
Whenever I insert a comment it has a default format of boldface and my first name typed in. I don't want either. I want just a blank, normal format comment box. How can I get that? Thanks for any help, Huck Good question. Microsoft recommends to create a macro (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213766) Certainly a solution, especially if you put this macro into your personal macro file and assign a shortcut key, but configuration via Properties dialog would be much better. Maybe in the next version.... Cheers, Joerg "Huck" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in m...

excel name formula?
Please don't laugh. I'm trying to come up with a name. It can be either male or female, but it must consist of only 5 letters and one of those letters (and only one) must be a "y". I've searched online for baby name finders, but they only allow you to choose the 1st (and in a few cases the last) letter of the name, not the letters in between. I've been giving this some thought for quite awhile now, and I figure that there must be a way to accomplish this using Excel. Even if the names are complete nonsense, I can sort through and delete those leaving only the han...

Database replication and removing names of old databases
When you start the process of synchronising one database with another, you are asked which databse you wish to synchronsie with. The dialogue box shows ALL names of databases that you have previoulsy synchronsied with and this list can become quite long (an dyou cannot always see the full names)- is there any way of getting rid of the history as it were. I realise ofcourse you can browse to the right database. =?Utf-8?B?SmFjayBhdCBSZWxheGVk?= <JackatRelaxed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1CB9EAEE-51D3-435D-9103-1BB1D81AB851@microsoft.com: > When you start the process...

Copy Suggest Names from Outlook 2003
Is there a way to copy the "Suggest names while completting To,Ccand Bcc fields" ? This field has been enabled and now we need to copy the e-mail addresses to another PC. Thanks in advance. There is no supported method, but it would seem that if you take the NK2 file, copy it, transfer it to the other installation, then rename it to match the profile of the other installation and use it to replace the NK2 file in the other installation, it might work. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Chris" <razornt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1c3d01c3e02f$9b11ddf0$a5...

Formula To Bring The Best Name 2
I posted a question yesterday & got a good reply from Jacob & now I can't find it. The ? was:- I have a worksheet that has 9 suppliers names in (C4:L4), there costs for a item in (C19:L19) I want to bring the cheapest supplier name into cell M4. Jacob replied:- =INDEX(C4:L4, MATCH(MIN(C19:L19),C19:L19,0)) I now need to exclude the $0.0000 values in C19:L19 >I now need to exclude the $0.0000 values in C19:L19 Try this... =INDEX(C4:L4,MATCH(SMALL(C19:L19,COUNTIF(C19:L19,0)+1),C19:L19,0)) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "peterh" <peterh...

Uggh..Resolving name to new Outlook mailbox
Am still having no luck with resolving an account that was created in AD 2k3 awhile ago but now cannot resolve to it in Outlook 2k3. Using Exchange 2k3. To those who did not read my previous posting about Outlook 2k3 not being able to resolve to the inbox of a particular account in AD: I am able to access the inbox for any other accounts that are existing in the AD, just not this one! Any ideas?!! I've even removed the TCP/IP connector and reinstalled it thinking that there might be a network connection issue. Notta. I've even removed the caching option in Outlook. Nothing. It...

alphabetize the names colum on the excel
How do I alphabetize the names on the excel Hi mark the complete block of data you have including column next to the column you wish to sort alphabetically. Data>Sort>choose Column letter>Ascending -- Regards Roger Govier "lee" <lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D9313B7-C298-4279-976F-7BBC079061CD@microsoft.com... > How do I alphabetize the names on the excel ...

Reference value on worksheet from name in cell
I need to see if there is a way to reference a value in a worksheet that is dependent on the name of the worksheet that is in an active cell on the first worksheet. Summary Sheet is like this: A B 1 Clinic Name 2 Total number of patients 3 Carthage ='a3'!e24 4 Gallatin ='a4'!e24 .... I have many worksheets for many clinics...any ideas for simplicity? Any code to replace the reference in the b column (replace: a3, or a4 so that it would work?) TIA, Josh Try this ...

Hiding the sheet name of a formula in a cell
I have a very sensitive Excel workbook with Salary Rating Info. The formulas do lookups and other calculations against hidden worksheets within the workbook. I do not want people to see the worksheet references at all in the formula bar of the cell they are in. How can i keep these formulas working without letting users see what worksheet the formula refers to? Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Select the target cells (Hold down Control key to make multiple discontiguous cell selections with the mouse) Click Format > Cells > Protection tab > Check &quo...

1099 Names
What field does GP use for the name that prints on 1099s? We have a lot of sole proprietors who use dba names. Our a/p entry clerks will typically only know the dba name, but the individual owner name needs to print on 1099's. ...

Using a named range in a Sumproduct comparison
Hi, Lets suppose I have in a worksheet of 500 rows of data with 4 columns. I want to apply sumproduct for determining count with certain conditions. Now one of the columns (column A) have data such that it is always only one of the following 6 possible values. "UK", "US", "IN", "AU", "FI" and "PA Now one of the conditions in the sumproduct is that column A has to be "UK", "AU" or "FIN". For one other column the (Column B) there are 4 possible conditions like 56, 78, 89 or 44. Now the next condition for ...

Can't get Word Mail Merge to find my Excel file of names and addre
I can't get my excel file to show up in the Select Data Source window. I clicked on "New Source" then selected ODBC DSN, selected Excel File, and got a Select Database and Table screen with no options for me, except ack and Cancel. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, can anyone help? Thanks. Marilyn Collins Did you navigate [using the Directories list] to the folder where your Excel file is stored? Double-Click the folders following the path to that directory. Once you get to a folder containing Excel files they will appear in the left list of Database Nam...

View by Sender #2
Hello, Hope anyone can help me on this. At one of my corporate email client's outlook (2000) I set the inbox view by sender. Everything was work fine, means I can view the messages by sender. But oneday, exactly last 23rd December, the messages from some people (or most of the people from the organization)shown under "NONE" in the from field!. A lot of messages sorted under this none tree while before I was received these peoples' mails under their own names in the 'by sender' view. I tried a lot but I cant sort these mails under their own name. I checked th...

how to stop my name apearing in text when editing forward emails
I am using Outlook 2003 My full name appears (like Auto-Correct) in the text of an email whenever I edit it prior to forwarding. This means that I have to go back and delete it (Alt + backspace). How can I stop this happening? "Judge_julz" <Judge_julz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B0CF69-5760-41EE-88C9-3DB9FB6D33E1@microsoft.com... >I am using Outlook 2003 > My full name appears (like Auto-Correct) in the text of an email whenever > I > edit it prior to forwarding. This means that I have to go back and delete > it > (Alt + backspac...

Only Subject and sender in OWA
Hello friends, we have Exchange 2003 sp2. OWA was working fine until last two week. Now User are able to log in into OWA but message does not show, only subject ane sender their and message field is white page. Sometimes it says that page can not be displayed when email is with attatchment. Any ideas, Regards Gureey ...

Show Names drop down box not working
I recently graduated to Office 2003 and I'm having a problem I don't know how to get around. I want to send this email to a large number of people, so I want to select several names from one of my contacts folders. But it won't let me. Here are the steps I'm going through: From the Mail Screen, New, To, then I want to click on the "Show Names from the" drop down box, but it won't let me. When I click on the drop down arrow, nothing happens. I have used Outlook in its various versions for years and have always used this feature. These files were imported fr...

Invoice Number should be the name of file on pdf
When printing an invoice to a pdf format, or emailing the invoice, the system should automatically prompt you to name it as the invoice number, not "SOP Blank Document.pdf". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...