Securing Exchange #2

Hi!

I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good
documentation/whitepaper etc. abut securing an Exchange server availible. I
have done all the "normal" securing but still there are a few queues with
spam. Can there be a "spy prog" on it that's causing all this. Can I log
somewhere all Telnet sessions and stuff?

Reg

J�rgen Persson

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:44:48 +0200, "J�rgen"
<jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good
>documentation/whitepaper etc. abut securing an Exchange server availible. I
>have done all the "normal" securing but still there are a few queues with
>spam. Can there be a "spy prog" on it that's causing all this. Can I log
>somewhere all Telnet sessions and stuff?
>
>Reg
>
>J�rgen Persson

spam hits are not generally the result of spyware etc on your server.
To deal with spam you will need, ideally, a 3rd party filter. GFI Mail
Essentials / GFI Mail Security, Mail Marshall are just  a couple of
examples.
They sit and intercept mail on your system and filter out what is spam
and what is valid.
0
mark7219 (5666)
8/31/2004 8:09:33 AM
But theese are spam going OUT and not in???

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:44:48 +0200, "J�rgen"
> <jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good
> >documentation/whitepaper etc. abut securing an Exchange server availible.
> >have done all the "normal" securing but still there are a few queues with
> >spam. Can there be a "spy prog" on it that's causing all this. Can I log
> >somewhere all Telnet sessions and stuff?
> >
> >Reg
> >
> >J�rgen Persson
> >
> spam hits are not generally the result of spyware etc on your server.
> To deal with spam you will need, ideally, a 3rd party filter. GFI Mail
> Essentials / GFI Mail Security, Mail Marshall are just  a couple of
> examples.
> They sit and intercept mail on your system and filter out what is spam
> and what is valid.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:25:46 +0200, "J�rgen"
<jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But theese are spam going OUT and not in???
>

>"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:44:48 +0200, "J�rgen"
>> <jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi!
>> >
>> >I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good
>> >documentation/whitepaper etc. abut securing an Exchange server availible.
>> >have done all the "normal" securing but still there are a few queues with
>> >spam. Can there be a "spy prog" on it that's causing all this. Can I log
>> >somewhere all Telnet sessions and stuff?
>> >
>> >Reg
>> >
>> >J�rgen Persson
>> >
>> spam hits are not generally the result of spyware etc on your server.
>> To deal with spam you will need, ideally, a 3rd party filter. GFI Mail
>> Essentials / GFI Mail Security, Mail Marshall are just  a couple of
>> examples.
>> They sit and intercept mail on your system and filter out what is spam
>> and what is valid.

If its spam going out can you confirm that it's not NDR messages going
out to non existent senders?
Alternatively, are you relaying?
What messages are you seeing and where are they claiming to be "from"?

0
mark7219 (5666)
8/31/2004 10:31:02 AM
Gahhhh you just made my day. As the newbie I am I never read the subject of
the "spam". You are correct. It's just NDR's from SPAM (I presume since I
dont recognized the recipient).

Anyway, we are installing GFI as we speak so something good came out of it!
: )

God bless MVP's

/J�rgen

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:25:46 +0200, "J�rgen"
> <jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >But theese are spam going OUT and not in???
> >

> >"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet

> >> spam hits are not generally the result of spyware etc on your server.
> >> To deal with spam you will need, ideally, a 3rd party filter. GFI Mail
> >> Essentials / GFI Mail Security, Mail Marshall are just  a couple of
> >> examples.
> >> They sit and intercept mail on your system and filter out what is spam
> >> and what is valid.
> >

> If its spam going out can you confirm that it's not NDR messages going
> out to non existent senders?
> Alternatively, are you relaying?
> What messages are you seeing and where are they claiming to be "from"?

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

Disaster Recovery for CRM 1.2
Does anyone have any documentation on the steps to backing up CRM 1.2? We want to make sure we are backing CRM 1.2 up correctly if the server should go down. We were unable to find any documentation on Microsofts website for a step by step backup solution. Right now we are just backing the CRM databases using the scheduler in SQL; is this ALL that is required and if so do we backup ALL of the databases or just certain ones? The owners of the company want to make sure we can restore ALL of the data if needed. -- Thank You, Troy Hi Troy Microsoft have included details of backing...

2 Questions
Hi I run Win 2K with Excel 2K Question 1 I have some VB code in the "Sheet 1" module of my excel file. The code is as follows: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column <> 12 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub I would like this code to run automatically whenever the file is opened. (I am assuming that this would remove the enable/disable dialog box option when opening the file) Can someone tell ...

getdlgitemtext #2
Hi, I meke code from example behind, and not working corectly, buffor "String1" they are no my text in IDC_EDIT1 it is a somthing wrong this bufor, may please send me good idea. void CDialogPASS::OnBnClickedButtonDp2() { CString String1; GetDlgItemText(IDC_EDIT1, String1); } mike 1010 Is IDC_EDIT1 an actual control? I've seen this fail when the control ID changes due to editing of the dialog. joe On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:44:33 +0200, "1010" <mig1010@wp.pl> wrote: >Hi, > >I meke code from example behind, and not working >corectly,...

Multiple Outlook #2
I imported an Outlook 2000 pst file into Outlook 2003. Now when I open Outlook my Personal Folders appears 4 times in the left hand "All Mail Folders" When I close Outlook it gives me an error and msvbvm60.dll is mentioned. Any help on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated. Mick ...

queue stuck #2
HI... i ahve exchange 2003 and i am facing problem that i am getting lot junk email and all messagess are stuck in queue ..after that my server hang so i need to restart server and clear the queue before restart it does't allow me to clear the queue ... pls help me .. tejal ...

Trouble sending emails #2

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

double lookup #2
In Excel2000, I need help with the following formula: my data is arranged like this ( I can rearrange if needed).. joe pete sue rating 30 10 5 A 20 5 3 B 10 2 1 C I then have values for joe, pete, sue. I want to look up the name and then give me the rating. The numbers may not be exact. For example, I want the output to look like this ( with the formula looking up the rating) name amount rating (formula needed) joe 11 C pete 7 B sue 1 C Can someone please help me with the formula to fi...

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

missing buttons #2
I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mails and my send button and now my paper clip button are missing. I've checked in where you can add buttons but they're not in their either. What can I do to find them. Are you using Word as your e-mail editor? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:4E889BAD-E127-4AF8-BC98-7AB117D0B90B@microsoft.com, Sharon wrote: > I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mail...

Exchange SP2 #5
I'm going to install SP2 for Exchange 2003 which is on my SBS2003. Is there anything i should know / do before I install? Thanks Damien 1. Read the Release Notes. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b/5/fb5c54af-fe5c-48e9-be97-f9e8207325ab/Ex_2003_SP2_RelNotes.htm 2. If you ever installed IMF v1, uninstall it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Damien" <no@emailplease.com> wrote in message news:nS%fh.423965$E_2.65239@fe03.news.easynews.com... > I&...

Attachment Size #2
Hi ! Is it possible to block the adding of attachments in an=20 outlook client ? Or block the adding for attachments that=20 are bigger than 2 MB for example ? Can i get an error=20 Message or something ? (I think about an GPO or Registry=20 change or something else....) I have Users around here with Pop3 Outlook 2000 and=20 Outlook 2003 Clients. The Problem is that some of them are=20 trying to send Mails with Attachments with 300 (three=20 hundred!!) MB or something else like that.... Because they=20 don=B4t look an the size of their attachments. So the Mail is going through our WAN over ...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Covert v. 2000 -> v. 2.0

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Foreign Exchange
With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update th foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, an then use that cell to do calculations -- peterthistl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- peterthistle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48664 Here's something to get you started: Open a new workbook On Sheet1, enter the following: A1: FromCurrency B1: CAD A2: ToCurrency B2: USD A3: FromAmount B3...

Active Directory/Exchange problem
All, Before I joined my current employer the admin here upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000(Box A) and then added another Exchange 2000 box to the organisation(Box B)and migrated the data in Box A to Box B. Box B is now the working exchange server and Box A is no longer used. The problem is that if I actually shut down Box A I can add a new user to Active Directory but I am unable to modify a users email/smtp details. All mail can still be transferred with no problems which would lead me to believe that Exchange is Ok but there is some sort of Active Directory link between the two bo...