Scheduling Resources for meetings

Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically reserve resources when
someone schedules a meeting on his/her calendar or on a public calendar?  We
had a conflict with our conference room yesterday because two employees had
scheduled meetings in the same space at the same time.  Is there any option
to reserve selected resources when placing a meeting on a calendar?  It'd be
nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my calendar and say it'll be
in the main conference room, exchange/outlook will warn me that someone has
already booked that room at that time.  Specifically, some of the resources
we'd like to be able to show as reserved are rooms, LCD projectors, and
digital cameras.  I looked for something in the Outlook interface that might
provide this functionality but didn't find what I was looking for.

I've been asked to create a public calendar for people to put these things
on - one for each resource - but that would require that users enter their
stuff on multiple calendars, which I don't see happening.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

If you use Outlook to open the resource, from the file menu click TOOLS >
OPTIONS > CALENDAR OPTIONS > RESOURCE SCHEDULING and you'll see here options
to automatically process appts and automatically decline conflicting appts.

Greg
"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically reserve resources
> when someone schedules a meeting on his/her calendar or on a public
> calendar?  We had a conflict with our conference room yesterday because
> two employees had scheduled meetings in the same space at the same time.
> Is there any option to reserve selected resources when placing a meeting
> on a calendar?  It'd be nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my
> calendar and say it'll be in the main conference room, exchange/outlook
> will warn me that someone has already booked that room at that time.
> Specifically, some of the resources we'd like to be able to show as
> reserved are rooms, LCD projectors, and digital cameras.  I looked for
> something in the Outlook interface that might provide this functionality
> but didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> I've been asked to create a public calendar for people to put these things
> on - one for each resource - but that would require that users enter their
> stuff on multiple calendars, which I don't see happening.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bryan

0
replyto1 (32)
4/29/2005 1:33:11 PM
Download and install the Exchange Autoaccept agent from the microsoft
download site.  This of course assumes Exchange 2003, but is free.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D0884E6-C603-491D-BF57-ACF03E046BFE&displaylang=en

If you are running Exchange 2000, then you can check out the Autoaccept
Script for Exchange 2000 (also free)
http://autoaccept-sink.sourceforge.net/

Or, if you want a commercial product (that works very well and is fairly
inexpensive), check out Swinc's ERM (Exchange Resource Manager).
http://www.swinc.com/products/ERM/

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically reserve resources
> when someone schedules a meeting on his/her calendar or on a public
> calendar?  We had a conflict with our conference room yesterday because
> two employees had scheduled meetings in the same space at the same time.
> Is there any option to reserve selected resources when placing a meeting
> on a calendar?  It'd be nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my
> calendar and say it'll be in the main conference room, exchange/outlook
> will warn me that someone has already booked that room at that time.
> Specifically, some of the resources we'd like to be able to show as
> reserved are rooms, LCD projectors, and digital cameras.  I looked for
> something in the Outlook interface that might provide this functionality
> but didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> I've been asked to create a public calendar for people to put these things
> on - one for each resource - but that would require that users enter their
> stuff on multiple calendars, which I don't see happening.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bryan

0
Ben
4/29/2005 3:22:43 PM
"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote
in news:u6MlG8LTFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically
> reserve resources when someone schedules a meeting on
> his/her calendar or on a public calendar?  We had a
> conflict with our conference room yesterday because two
> employees had scheduled meetings in the same space at the
> same time.  Is there any option to reserve selected
> resources when placing a meeting on a calendar?  It'd be
> nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my calendar
> and say it'll be in the main conference room,
> exchange/outlook will warn me that someone has already
> booked that room at that time.  Specifically, some of the
> resources we'd like to be able to show as reserved are
> rooms, LCD projectors, and digital cameras.  I looked for
> something in the Outlook interface that might provide this
> functionality but didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> I've been asked to create a public calendar for people to
> put these things on - one for each resource - but that
> would require that users enter their stuff on multiple
> calendars, which I don't see happening.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bryan

Look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192877

Does exactly what you want without any add-ons.

Larry
0
riding (28)
5/1/2005 3:20:47 AM
This explains the process for Exchange 2000. Same thing for Exchange 2003 as
far as I know:

"Larry" wrote:

> "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote
> in news:u6MlG8LTFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> > Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically
> > reserve resources when someone schedules a meeting on
> > his/her calendar or on a public calendar?  We had a
> > conflict with our conference room yesterday because two
> > employees had scheduled meetings in the same space at the
> > same time.  Is there any option to reserve selected
> > resources when placing a meeting on a calendar?  It'd be
> > nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my calendar
> > and say it'll be in the main conference room,
> > exchange/outlook will warn me that someone has already
> > booked that room at that time.  Specifically, some of the
> > resources we'd like to be able to show as reserved are
> > rooms, LCD projectors, and digital cameras.  I looked for
> > something in the Outlook interface that might provide this
> > functionality but didn't find what I was looking for.
> >
> > I've been asked to create a public calendar for people to
> > put these things on - one for each resource - but that
> > would require that users enter their stuff on multiple
> > calendars, which I don't see happening.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Bryan
> >

> Look at:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192877
>
> Does exactly what you want without any add-ons.
>
> Larry

0
pdx (48)

Migration Question
Hello: Not quite clear on this topic. I have several users who own multiple mailboxes. I understand that fact that Exchagne 2003 can only match 1 user to 1 mailbox. Running the ADC wizard, it correctly identified these users and associated mailboxes. I marked the primaries as such and I assume the others will be marked resources. My question. Will these resource mailboxes be migrated and who will "own" them. How does this work? Ideally, I need the same users that own these to have access to them post migration with all mail intact. Thanks The ADC should create disabled a...

Pick the first available resource?
I work in a company that has around 20 meeting rooms, all set up as resources. If I want to book one for a meeting at a specific time, normally three quarters of them are already booked, so I have to add them all as resources in a new appointment, look at them all under the 'Scheduling' tab, find a free one, and then delete all but that one. There must be a better way to do it than that! The thing is I'm not really fussy about which room I get, so is there anyway I can just get outlook to pick a free one for the time I want from a list. Even better would be if I could order the li...

Outlook 2010: Where's the "Create Meeting Workspace" feature?
One of the features we value most is the ability to create, from within Outlook, a SharePoint meeting workspace. This feature doesn't appear to be in Outlook 2010. Is this being removed, moved, made into an Add-on that I don't have or is it simply not in the Beta, yet? Hmoll wrote: > One of the features we value most is the ability to create, from within > Outlook, a SharePoint meeting workspace. > > This feature doesn't appear to be in Outlook 2010. > > Is this being removed, moved, made into an Add-on that I don't have or is it > ...

Scheduled Bills and Deposites from the past
Hello, Often, when I download my checking account, the transactions do not match to items in my Bill and Deposites Scheduler. I have to use "skip this occurrance" to get by this problem, but I was hoping that there was some way to match the bills in the scheduler with items already in the account register. I can not seem to find it. FlynFast ...

Scheduling updates
Using Money Plus 2008.... Is there a way to schedule when online updates (cash & credit card account transactions, investments, etc.) occur? In microsoft.public.money, Peters48 wrote: >Using Money Plus 2008.... > >Is there a way to schedule when online updates (cash & credit card account >transactions, investments, etc.) occur? No. You could turn off background banking, and click to UpdateNow. One way to UpdateNow is Tools->InternetUpdates->UpdateNow. On Tools->InternetUpdates->CustomizeUpdates there is a checkbox to control whether Automated Online Upda...

Resource Scheduling
I have Exchange 2007 and outlook 2007. I followed the instructions to set up a room to be a resource (not direct booking): http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/05/14/438944.aspx This works great where the users can review the room's calendar and can't modify (they can only modify via a meeting request). The downside is that I lose out on the pop up message if a meeting conflicts with another meeting in the room. I usually set that up in Tools | Options | Preferences | Calendar Options | Resource scheduling. I then check the two boxes "Automatically accept ...

Problems with Direct booking of resources
Since we have moved servers, some users are having problems with direct booking of resources. Some background first - We just moved all of our users to a new Exchange Server. The previous server was Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise, the new server is Exchange 2003 SP2 Enterprise. Users are in four different stores, spread across 3 different storage groups. I have set up the resource mailboxes not to accept mail from anyone (so that they don't invite the resource as an attendee---therefore sending a standard meeting request). Explained on Slipstick here: http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/sk...

Scheduling Resources
I'm a new user of SharePoint, and consider myself an expert in Outlook. My problem is that current employer's IT Dept. thinks that in order to set up Conference Room Calendars as a resource that will automatically book meetings, a separate license is required for the calendar. That's issue #1.... IT dept's answer to this issue is to install SharePoint, where the calendar can be viewed by all employees; everyone has the ability to book the room, but I'm unable to find a way to send the meeting request AND book the room concurrently. Is that possible? If it ...

Report All Resources with Availability/Capacity for each gantt
Hi friends, I need a report or view or t-sql , etc,etc that list All resources from database Published , in this report must contain , name resource, name gantt, total capacity, total availability; all this for each resource how do it ? Thanks for helpme Hi, why do you need it from Published DB? What do you mean with "name gantt"? There are several ways to get that if you can rely on Reporting DB. You could for example simply use a data analysis view. Regards Barbara Am 24.02.2010 13:50, schrieb All Resources with Availability in gantt: > Hi friends, ...

Security: how to get operations, resources, etc. assigned to a task?
Hello, does anyone have a query that will pull all the resources, operations, etc. assigned to a specific task? That is, what this task will allow. And is there a way to indicate if that resource has been checked or unchecked in GP? Thanks. Also, if anyone has any real-world model to follow, I'm not talking about an overview of how security works, I understand roles, tasks and functions, but a model of how to implement it in the real-world would be very helpful. Like a "best practice" or something similar. Thanks in advance. ...

resources
I would like to set up a classroom as a resource. I need to keep track of what events are scheduled in the room and would like to make the room's calendar 'public' for viewing. But have only the owner of the resource actually book the events. Suggestions? ...

Long term scheduling big jobs
I have setup users work hours to be 9-6 mon-fri. Now MS Dynamics CRM 3.0 will not schedule a service that is longer than 9 hours as it cannot fit contiguously in an user's calendar. I have jobs that last more than 8 hours, and I would like CRM to fit these in an user's calendar non-contiguously (skipping weekends, night time, etc). I dont want to have to schedule a big job 1 day at a time. How can I get round that problem? you can do using two ways 1. Workflow 2. Custom .net assembly and call in workflow -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot...

Troubles with meeting requests
Have a user that has reported when ever she gets a meeting request and goes to accept it Outlook2002 becomes unresponsive for about 5 minutes. Then after the extreme wait she gets the typical "send response..." window. When she pushes ok, again takes about 5 minutes but this time you get the slow response from server window...with the cancel option. All other functions work normally with no problems or slownessNo one else gets this problem at all. Any ideas? Jason Assuming that Office XP is patched with the latest SP, it could be her calendar is corrupt. One option that may be ...

Meeting room management
I want to set up a meeting room management system using Excel. I want to view rooms on a daily calendar but be able to switch easily to other dates? Can anyone give me any advice on the best way to do this? Hi, this is rather an awkward and obscure question. What do you mean by "rooms"??? If you could send me a sample sheet, maybe i can createsomething for you. You can view some of my stuff at: http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway excelmarksway@yahoo.com.au - - Mark >-----Original Message----- >I want to set up a meeting room management system using Excel. I wan...

Calendar schedule says I'm busy
I went to schedule a new appointment in Outlook 2003, and discovered that the time I wanted to schedule was marked busy for both me and for the other guy. I moved the appointment and then looked all over to find out what was scheduled. I failed to find anything. I could only see it in that screen. I finally sent the appointment request and continued to look. A few minutes later that conflict disappeared. What caused this phantom conflict? ...

Disable sending out meeting notice
Is there a way to create a meeting in Outlook with Attendees assigned and not have a meeting notice emailed? I use Outlook for my own personal organization and like the fact that I can attach contacts to appointments (i.e. so I can Journal contact information). However, as I recently discovered, they are getting an meeting notice email! Is there a way to disable this while still getting the benefit of Journaling contact information? Thank in advance, Bryan Jones ...

Is device resource depletion *cumulative* ??
'Never heard of resource depletion for add-on devices until it happened to my own PC. This concerns PCI expansion slots specifically. There's a chunk of memory allocated to each add-on device, and an IRQ assignment, yes? My PC has 3 PCI slots and I've been juggling a variety of add-ons in them for years. Occasionally I have switched a device to a different slot for reasons, and devices have come and gone. Finally I must've gone too far! I removed a TV/FM card, forgetting to explicitly direct Windows XP to Uninstall it first. Then I moved a modem card from another slot...

Exchange Server unavailable for resource scheduling?
Hey guys, I was just trying to create a "shared resource mailbox" in Exchange 2003 SP2. The mailbox was created successfully. I am at the point where I go into "Calendar Options", in that new mailbox, and configure "Resource Scheduling", though when I click on it, I get a Microsoft Office Outlook popup... saying: "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complere this action." Strange thing is that I am online (connected) as I sent a test email to this mailbox from another computer and it ...

Howto create a new resource type
Hi, Does anyone know how to create a new resource type? What I am trying to do is add an rtf file to my resources file. At the moment, I have added it as resource type RT_RCDATA. This works and I load it using FindResource, LoadResource etc. However, since it is possible to add a custom resource type from the resource editor, it would be nice to be able to add a resource type RTF and being able to see the resource in the resource editor. It would be nice to be able to create a resource called RT_RTF which can later be used by FindResource... Thanks. -- Dave Note: Spam-resistant e-mail ...

how to schedule meetings on a particular date in calender?
I want to schedule meetings on a particular date in calender so that when I click on the date it should show me the appointments chronologically Nanditha <Nanditha@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to schedule meetings on a particular date in calender so that > when I click on the date it should show me the appointments > chronologically You don't want Publisher, you want Outlook or similar. Publisher is not designed for interactive features like this, it is designed for creating printed publications. Check out Microsoft Outlook. It ...

Outlook 2000
The accept, decline, and tentative buttons are missing when I receive a meeting request. The request comes through as a regular email message. I have searched the knowledge base and I can't find anything for 2000 using exchange server. Thank you. ...

New Tax schedules not working???
Ok...we created new tax details and schedules and applied them to our customers and vendors.... and they are not rolling into our transactions...we have to manually apply to each transaction??? Am I missing a step... Will check links fix this??? and where is the documentation??? Tami if these transactions existed in the system before the tax changes...then the changes will not roll out. You would need to change each as it comes up or execute a SQL update statement to change the open documents. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP http://www.AccoladePublications.com Docum...

How do I design a scheduling request form in Outlook?
I want the following items in my scheduling request form: Event Title Event Date Event Start Time Event End Time Name of Host Name of Presenter Contact Information to include person's name; department; address; telephone; email address. tools > forms > design a form "carolpalo" wrote: > I want the following items in my scheduling request form: > Event Title > Event Date > Event Start Time > Event End Time > Name of Host > Name of Presenter > Contact Information to include person's name; department; address; > telephon...

how can I schedule an email to be sent on a daily basis
I need to send a generic email to multiple addresses three times a day. I have seen the send later and other commerical apps, but am looking for an easy coding option, maybe with some VB script. "RI Geek" <RI Geek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E43D4033-6F34-4EAF-83AC-4314F5660554@microsoft.com... > I need to send a generic email to multiple addresses three times a day. I > have seen the send later and other commerical apps, but am looking for an > easy coding option, maybe with some VB script. That is quite a bit of code potentially. ...

Meeting room booking conflicts in Exchange 2000 \ Outlook XP problem #2
Hi, We have a Citrix based Windows 2000 domain, running Exchange 2000 server and Outlook XP client. Meeting rooms are booked in our organistaion through an Outlook calendar (one for each room). This is done in the following way: The user creates a new appointment in Outlook The 'add others' buttons is depressed. Users are invited via the address books 'required' and 'optional' buttons, while the room is selected through the 'resources' buttons. The user pres...