RUS does not allow mail boxes to be opened

When creating new user/mail box in AD on our Exchange 2000 server, the RUS
generates a smtp address, but when user logs on Outlook reports 'Unable to
open your default e-mail folders, you do not have permission to logon'. We
have checked ADSI and the setting 'msExchUsserAccountControl' has a value of
'not set'. If you change this to '0', then the mailbox can be opened. Why is
RUS not setting this value?
We have tried creating new RUS and recepient policy and this does not make
any difference. The user has permission to open his own mailbox. We have
tried an e-mail the users account to activate the mailbox and this hasn't
worked.
0
Martins1 (17)

Is this any help?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321318
Specifically the section:

The Recipient Update Service Does Not Stamp Accounts, Which Prevents
Users from Creating Profiles
You may not be able to create an Outlook profile. When you type your
name in the mailbox box, and then click Check Name, you receive the
following error message:
The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a
name in the address list.
This issue may occur if the Recipient Update Service has not stamped
the user accounts with the following attributes: � showInAddressBook
()
� textEncodedORAddress
� msExchUserAccountControl
� msExchALObjectVersion
� msExchPoliciesIncluded
For additional information, click the following article numbers to
view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
297801 XADM: Troubleshooting Check Name errors
297124 XADM: Recipient Update Service does not stamp users and no
error is logged
253828 XADM: How the Recipient Update Service populates address lists

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:29:10 -0700, "Martin S"
<MartinS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When creating new user/mail box in AD on our Exchange 2000 server, the RUS
>generates a smtp address, but when user logs on Outlook reports 'Unable to
>open your default e-mail folders, you do not have permission to logon'. We
>have checked ADSI and the setting 'msExchUsserAccountControl' has a value of
>'not set'. If you change this to '0', then the mailbox can be opened. Why is
>RUS not setting this value?
>We have tried creating new RUS and recepient policy and this does not make
>any difference. The user has permission to open his own mailbox. We have
>tried an e-mail the users account to activate the mailbox and this hasn't
>worked.

0
adavid (8731)
10/16/2004 1:07:26 PM
We have applied the Domain Prep again, but this has not made any Difference.

Here is the Event log from the Mail Server:

Failed to read attribute msExchUserAccountControl from Active Directory for
/o=Lancaster Group PLC/ou=DAGENHAM/cn=Recipients/cn=testt.Failed to read
attribute msExchUserAccountControl from Active Directory for /o=Lancaster
Group PLC/ou=DAGENHAM/cn=Recipients/cn=testt.

If you set this to 0 (zero) the mailbox will open OK.

We have tried all other suggestions as well. Any other ideas?

"Martin S" wrote:

> When creating new user/mail box in AD on our Exchange 2000 server, the RUS
> generates a smtp address, but when user logs on Outlook reports 'Unable to
> open your default e-mail folders, you do not have permission to logon'. We
> have checked ADSI and the setting 'msExchUsserAccountControl' has a value of
> 'not set'. If you change this to '0', then the mailbox can be opened. Why is
> RUS not setting this value?
> We have tried creating new RUS and recepient policy and this does not make
> any difference. The user has permission to open his own mailbox. We have
> tried an e-mail the users account to activate the mailbox and this hasn't
> worked.
0
Martins1 (17)