RFR Interface Errors HELP!

Help!  I keep getting the following errors on our Exchange 2k3 server.
It's running on a Win2k3 DC that is also a Global Catalog server.  It's
been in this configuration since Exchange 2k3 was released.  Suddenly,
I'm getting these odd errors:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
Event Category:	RFR Interface
Event ID:	9143
Date:		4/19/2006
Time:		7:15:17 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
Description:
Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
Clients.




Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
Event Category:	RFR Interface
Event ID:	9074
Date:		4/19/2006
Time:		7:17:22 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
Description:
The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client
request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].





Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
Event Category:	RFR Interface
Event ID:	9143
Date:		4/19/2006
Time:		7:34:43 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
Description:
Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
Clients.

0
4/19/2006 9:54:07 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

15 Replies
694 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

Are you certain that nothing has changed? Are clients having any access 
issues?

Nue
<troy.bruder@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1145483647.864228.159120@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> Help!  I keep getting the following errors on our Exchange 2k3 server.
> It's running on a Win2k3 DC that is also a Global Catalog server.  It's
> been in this configuration since Exchange 2k3 was released.  Suddenly,
> I'm getting these odd errors:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MSExchangeSA
> Event Category: RFR Interface
> Event ID: 9143
> Date: 4/19/2006
> Time: 7:15:17 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: SERVER_NAME_HERE
> Description:
> Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
> NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
> Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
> promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
> Clients.
>
>
>
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MSExchangeSA
> Event Category: RFR Interface
> Event ID: 9074
> Date: 4/19/2006
> Time: 7:17:22 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: SERVER_NAME_HERE
> Description:
> The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client
> request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].
>
>
>
>
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MSExchangeSA
> Event Category: RFR Interface
> Event ID: 9143
> Date: 4/19/2006
> Time: 7:34:43 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: SERVER_NAME_HERE
> Description:
> Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
> NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
> Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
> promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
> Clients.
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/19/2006 10:17:05 PM
We suddenly need to reboot that server every morning before any clients
can connect.  After that, they work all day.??

0
4/19/2006 10:39:54 PM
Looking at the Directory Access tab of your Exchange server are the DC/GC 
correctly identified. They should be pointing to the Exchange server itself.

Nue
<troy.bruder@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1145486393.984059.106390@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> We suddenly need to reboot that server every morning before any clients
> can connect.  After that, they work all day.??
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/19/2006 10:46:53 PM
It WAS setup for "auto detect".  I turned that off, and hard coded in
DC's and GCAT's..  I still have the problem even after multiple reboots.

0
4/19/2006 10:54:48 PM
Have you considered turning on auto detect again to see if that works?

Nue
<troy.bruder@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1145487288.725554.12430@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> It WAS setup for "auto detect".  I turned that off, and hard coded in
> DC's and GCAT's..  I still have the problem even after multiple reboots.
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/19/2006 11:12:56 PM
On 19 Apr 2006 14:54:07 -0700, troy.bruder@gmail.com wrote:

>Help!  I keep getting the following errors on our Exchange 2k3 server.
>It's running on a Win2k3 DC that is also a Global Catalog server.  It's
>been in this configuration since Exchange 2k3 was released.  Suddenly,
>I'm getting these odd errors:

Uncheck the checkbox that enables it as a GC and apply. Check the
event logs to see that its no logner a GC. ( Under the Directory
Service logs - Event 1120)
Recheck that box and make it a Global Catalog again. Check the event
logs and it should say when it is. Event 1119, after about 5 minutes.




>
>Event Type:	Error
>Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
>Event Category:	RFR Interface
>Event ID:	9143
>Date:		4/19/2006
>Time:		7:15:17 AM
>User:		N/A
>Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
>Description:
>Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
>NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
>Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
>promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
>Clients.
>
>
>
>
>Event Type:	Error
>Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
>Event Category:	RFR Interface
>Event ID:	9074
>Date:		4/19/2006
>Time:		7:17:22 AM
>User:		N/A
>Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
>Description:
>The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client
>request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].
>
>
>
>
>
>Event Type:	Error
>Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
>Event Category:	RFR Interface
>Event ID:	9143
>Date:		4/19/2006
>Time:		7:34:43 AM
>User:		N/A
>Computer:	SERVER_NAME_HERE
>Description:
>Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the
>NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a
>Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is
>promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI
>Clients.
0
adavid (8731)
4/19/2006 11:32:37 PM
I just did, and will reboot it in a few minutes.  The 'proper' servers
are detected in auto mode...

0
4/19/2006 11:33:27 PM
I did that GC "shuffle" before and that didn't help...  Now I have the
same errors, plus some NEW ones that scare me even more:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
Event Category:	MAPI Session
Event ID:	9175
Date:		4/19/2006
Time:		7:41:40 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XXXXXXX
Description:
The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available.  Either there
are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down
for maintenance.
The MAPI provider failed.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

0
4/19/2006 11:56:06 PM
On 19 Apr 2006 16:56:06 -0700, troy.bruder@gmail.com wrote:

>I did that GC "shuffle" before and that didn't help...  Now I have the
>same errors, plus some NEW ones that scare me even more:
>
>Event Type:	Error
>Event Source:	MSExchangeSA
>Event Category:	MAPI Session
>Event ID:	9175
>Date:		4/19/2006
>Time:		7:41:40 PM
>User:		N/A
>Computer:	XXXXXXX
>Description:
>The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
>The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available.  Either there
>are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down
>for maintenance.
>The MAPI provider failed.
>Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
>ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000


Exch Services started? 
Stores mounted?
0
adavid (8731)
4/20/2006 12:27:44 AM
Yep.  Seems to run, but every morning users cannot connect via Outlook.
 so we reboot the server, then it's fine again until the next morning..

0
4/20/2006 12:52:28 AM
On 19 Apr 2006 17:52:28 -0700, troy.bruder@gmail.com wrote:

>Yep.  Seems to run, but every morning users cannot connect via Outlook.
> so we reboot the server, then it's fine again until the next morning..


Are you at Exchange 2003 Sp2?
Have you run Exbpa against the server?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dbab201f-4bee-4943-ac22-e2ddbd258df3&DisplayLang=en

0
adavid (8731)
4/20/2006 1:10:46 AM
On 19 Apr 2006 17:52:28 -0700, troy.bruder@gmail.com wrote:

>Yep.  Seems to run, but every morning users cannot connect via Outlook.
> so we reboot the server, then it's fine again until the next morning..


Oh and ensure you have all the latest hotfixes and security patches
for Windows as well.
0
adavid (8731)
4/20/2006 1:12:03 AM
Using the Exbpa tool, which I've run in the past, I get this:

Permissions Check:
One server is reporting "Permission Inheritance block on Exchange
server object".  But that's NOT on the machine generating errors.

Health Check:
When I run the Exbpa from the server having errors, the Exbpa tells me
it cannot contact any of the other exchange servers?!?!  When I run it
from one of our "Admin console" servers, it runs just fine and tells me
about a "Volume shadow copy service update" for the machine in
question.

I've run dcdiag and netdiag against the Exchange server that's
generating errors, and everything is checking out fine...  I'm pulling
my hair out!

0
4/20/2006 1:46:18 AM
On 19 Apr 2006 18:46:18 -0700, troy.bruder@gmail.com wrote:

>Using the Exbpa tool, which I've run in the past, I get this:
>
>Permissions Check:
>One server is reporting "Permission Inheritance block on Exchange
>server object".  But that's NOT on the machine generating errors.

Fix that! 

>
>Health Check:
>When I run the Exbpa from the server having errors, the Exbpa tells me
>it cannot contact any of the other exchange servers?!?!  When I run it
>from one of our "Admin console" servers, it runs just fine and tells me
>about a "Volume shadow copy service update" for the machine in
>question.

You should run it from a workstation, I wouldnt install it on a
server.
>
>I've run dcdiag and netdiag against the Exchange server that's
>generating errors, and everything is checking out fine...  I'm pulling
>my hair out!

Call PSS.
0
adavid (8731)
4/20/2006 1:01:07 PM
Yes.

0
4/20/2006 1:54:58 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: