Restoring OLD version of IS or mailbox

I completed (without incident) my migration from 5.5 to 2003 8 months ago and
wiped/shut down/re-tasked my old 5.5 server.  I have Netbackup tapes of the
old 5.5 server (information store and brick-level mailbox backups) going back
4 years or more.

What are my options if I want to restore a 5.5 mailbox of a former employee
as of 18 months ago, but I no longer have a 5.5 server?  Can I restore a 5.5
mdb into a 2003 recovery storage group?  (I haven't yet converted to Exchange
Native Mode, but I might have) Any cool tools out there that might help?
0
peterm (65)

You can't restore to the RSG.  RSG only supports Exchange 2000 SP3 and
above.

Your options would be:
1.  Build a 5.5 recovery server and restore to that, then export mailbox to
pst.  This will be the least expensive option (free)
2.  Use 3rd party tools that can read databases directly from tape (Ontrack
Power Control Tools is one here) - this is more expensive, but easier.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Peter M" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I completed (without incident) my migration from 5.5 to 2003 8 months ago
>and
> wiped/shut down/re-tasked my old 5.5 server.  I have Netbackup tapes of
> the
> old 5.5 server (information store and brick-level mailbox backups) going
> back
> 4 years or more.
>
> What are my options if I want to restore a 5.5 mailbox of a former
> employee
> as of 18 months ago, but I no longer have a 5.5 server?  Can I restore a
> 5.5
> mdb into a 2003 recovery storage group?  (I haven't yet converted to
> Exchange
> Native Mode, but I might have) Any cool tools out there that might help?

0
Ben
12/16/2004 9:10:10 PM
Does Ontrack really read directly from tape?  Or do I need to somehow restore
the EDB to disk somewhere (and how do you restore just that file w/o the
Exchange / Veritas API?)

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> You can't restore to the RSG.  RSG only supports Exchange 2000 SP3 and
> above.
>
> Your options would be:
> 1.  Build a 5.5 recovery server and restore to that, then export mailbox to
> pst.  This will be the least expensive option (free)
> 2.  Use 3rd party tools that can read databases directly from tape (Ontrack
> Power Control Tools is one here) - this is more expensive, but easier.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Peter M" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I completed (without incident) my migration from 5.5 to 2003 8 months ago
> >and
> > wiped/shut down/re-tasked my old 5.5 server.  I have Netbackup tapes of
> > the
> > old 5.5 server (information store and brick-level mailbox backups) going
> > back
> > 4 years or more.
> >
> > What are my options if I want to restore a 5.5 mailbox of a former
> > employee
> > as of 18 months ago, but I no longer have a 5.5 server?  Can I restore a
> > 5.5
> > mdb into a 2003 recovery storage group?  (I haven't yet converted to
> > Exchange
> > Native Mode, but I might have) Any cool tools out there that might help?

0
peterm (65)
1/19/2005 4:51:03 PM
My understanding is the Ontrack is supposed to be able to read directly from
the tape.  Quest also has a solution that is supposed to be similar to
Ontrack's, but I haven't used it (haven't used PowerControls either for that
matter).

--

> Does Ontrack really read directly from tape?  Or do I need to somehow
> restore
> the EDB to disk somewhere (and how do you restore just that file w/o the
> Exchange / Veritas API?)
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can't restore to the RSG.  RSG only supports Exchange 2000 SP3 and
>> above.
>>
>> Your options would be:
>> 1.  Build a 5.5 recovery server and restore to that, then export mailbox
>> pst.  This will be the least expensive option (free)
>> 2.  Use 3rd party tools that can read databases directly from tape
>> (Ontrack
>> Power Control Tools is one here) - this is more expensive, but easier.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "Peter M" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I completed (without incident) my migration from 5.5 to 2003 8 months
>> >ago
>> >and
>> > wiped/shut down/re-tasked my old 5.5 server.  I have Netbackup tapes of
>> > the
>> > old 5.5 server (information store and brick-level mailbox backups)
>> > going
>> > back
>> > 4 years or more.
>> >
>> > What are my options if I want to restore a 5.5 mailbox of a former
>> > employee
>> > as of 18 months ago, but I no longer have a 5.5 server?  Can I restore
>> > 5.5
>> > mdb into a 2003 recovery storage group?  (I haven't yet converted to
>> > Exchange
>> > Native Mode, but I might have) Any cool tools out there that might
>> > help?

0
Ben

Portfolio Manager the same old Problem
Hi After opening 2 tickets, number of unanswered emails and waiting for 2 months I still didn't received final respond from MS Tech Support. So much for free support. This is how we leaned ... See problem description below. This problem starts some where around Money 2003. I am thinking about going back from my 2006 version to 2003 or 2004 version. I found a couple of messages on this site, from people who had the same problem. Does any body know for sure, what was the last version that didn't have this problem - 2002, 2003, 2004, so I can try to reinstall it in place of 2006? Pr...

Default mailbox rights #2
Hello, Is there an MS white paper that shows the specific default special permissions found in AD Users and Computers - Exchange Advanced - Mailbox Rights? Thank you, JVM Try these two articles: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328229/en-us http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3ADPerm/cc98c853-7bd2-47bc-b88f-36163f1306f1.mspx Nue "J Meyer" <JMeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:890E6D32-C501-45E2-BD57-6E036DD8D3CC@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Is there an MS white paper that shows the specific default special > p...

mailbox not responding
Have a user returning from sick leave with >6,000 emails. When logging on to mailbox using Outlook 2000, it is unresponsive and displays following message: "Rules in Error", "Rule:Server-Requested Client Action", "Error: MoveCopy, Unable to create dest. msg." HELP!!! Disregard. Client just busy processing rules on incoming messages. Working now. >-----Original Message----- >Have a user returning from sick leave with >6,000 emails. >When logging on to mailbox using Outlook 2000, it is >unresponsive and displays following message: "Rul...

Purge deleted items from shared mailbox
How can I purge the folder "deleted items" from a shared mailbox? The RM menu item is greyed out. Environment: Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003. What permission do you have on the deleted folder? can you delete them if you open the folder and select all, Del? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

Trouble Restoring Backup of Money 2002 to 2004
Let's continue the conversation on restoring backups a little bit. My HD crashed so I decided to upgrade to Money 2004 on the new disk. But now I can't restore my old data that goes back years. When I double click on the old mny or mbf files Money 2004 locks after trying to convert for a few seconds. Even the floppy backup I had will not work becuase the floopy can't be read for some reason. Am I screwed? Your thoughts are valued! Bob Can you copy the backup floppy to your hard disk? Try that and then try restoring from there. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP -...

Type mismatch in 2007 but not in 2003 version
I have the following code in a vba code attached to a form: Dim rst As Recordset Dim dbs As Database Dim whatif As String Set dbs = CurrentDb whatif = "select * from PersonalDNC where HomePhone = '" & ThisPhone & "'" Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(whatif) When I run this 2003 mdb in access 2007 this works. When I convert this to a 2007 database and then run it, I get a "Type Mismatch" error. would I need to put [ ] around HomePhone. PersonalDNC is a linked table that points to a 2003 mdb. Would I need to conve...

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

Receive a warning on mailbox acces
Hello everybody, i'm looking for a trigger that send me a warning/alert (or excute a process) whenever someone tries to access a single mailbox on my exchange 2000. Could you suggest me something ? Thanks in advance. On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:59:50 +0100, "ciccio72" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hello everybody, >i'm looking for a trigger that send me a warning/alert (or excute a process) >whenever someone tries to access a single mailbox on my exchange 2000. >Could you suggest me something ? >Thanks in advance. > Use something quick and free like LogA...

Exchange 2007 Resource Mailboxes
Hi, I have setup Exchange 2007 Resource Mailboxes as I have a number of meeting rooms that all users should be able to book. I have since found that if user a) books a meeting and user b) attempts to delete it - he/she can. I don't seem to be able to prevent them, and would appreciate some help. Regards Nick ...

Ex2k7 Mailbox move error..
I used the command shell to move my mailbox from one MB server to another, same site/org/ip subnet, etc. It seemed to be taking an awful long time and i wasn't seeing any progress. Finally i gave up and ctrl+break'd out of the shell. Now i can't open my mailbox at all. If i try using OWA i get this error: "Log in failed because the mailbox you tried to access is being moved. The mailbox cannot be accessed until this operation is complete. Please wait and try again later." If i try using standard Outlook i get this error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office O...

Tim Sneed: How do I restore/repair a partially converted database?
Tim, If you don't put your question in the Message area, many of us can't answer it. There's a little bug where hitting Reply with an empty Message causes an error. Also the Subject often get truncated. Please put a very brief description Subject and further explain in the Message area. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. ...

defrag users mailbox in ex2k3 enterprise
Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it but it did not reduce the size down as it should have. Is there a way to copy your users to a different store or something to that affect. Thanks On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:16:55 -0500, "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an >exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it >but it did not reduce the size down as it should hav...

trial version activation
I just downloaded and installed the trial version of visio 2003, but when I tried to activate it using the wizard, it keeps coming up with : "your product key is not valid, uninstall and enter a valid key" I got the PID from the download instruction email sent to me from the Microsoft website, so I can not understand why the product id is not working. Maybe it's case sensitive? Can someone please help? FYI...I do not have an answer...but have had multiple unsuccessful attempts this morning to activate a trial version. The first attempt was using a copy of the trial ...

How can I transfer emails in a Mailbox folder to a USB device?
I have a large number of emails saved in a folder in my Mail box. Some of the emails have files attached, and some do not. I want to save all the emails (including the attachments) to a USB device. You cannot, assuming you are referring to Outlook you can only copy the data file in its entirety, which can then only be accessed within Outlook. You could save the emails as eml files and save the attachments seperately "Harrinton" <Harrinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F90EC062-4359-42E9-96FD-F88EA6536F09@microsoft.com... > I have a large numb...

Error: ".....doc uses a file type that is blocked from opening in this version
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel The file sent to me seems to be a 97 to 2004 version. I cannot understand why there would be any difficulty in opening a previous version document of word in mac 2008. I have tried changing the .doc file to a .docx but it doesn't work. Hoping for some help, thanks. How are you "changing" the file if you can't open it? Simply altering the extension does *not* change the file type & makes matters worse by misinforming the program as to what type of file it actually is. Make sure your...

different versions
I created a calendar @ work with a higher version of Publisher. I am trying to access the file @ home, but I have 2000 and it says it can't open it. What can I do? You will have to save the calendar at work as a Publisher 2000 document. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jabrjawz" <jabrjawz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57F19583-7E3D-4EF3-B384-ABDA85A33AF6@microsoft.com... >I created a calendar @ work with a higher version of Publisher. I am trying > to access the file @ home, but I have 2000 and it says it can't open it. > What...

Can I import old email from Eudora to MS Outlook 2007?
Is there a way to import my old email from eudora into outlook 2007? ...

Saving and Restoring a Child Window to its Former Position and Size
I want to save a child window's position and size in the Main Window of an MDI application, and restore it at any time later. I want to do this after the user may have reposition and resized it. The parent of this child window is the Main Window. Below is the code I am using to save the position and size: pView->GetWindowRect( &m_WndRect ); AfxGetMainWnd()->ScreenToClient( &m_WndRect ); where pView is a pointer to the child window and m_WndRect is used for the storage. Below is the code I am using in an attempt to restore the position and size stored in m_WndRect: CFr...

Purging mailbox data
We have recently hired a software trainer, and one of her first duties will be training users on Outlook. I have set up 8 student accounts/mailboxes/home folders etc. She will have around 20 - 30 minutes between classes to purge the classroom data for the next class. Are there any clever ideas out there for a quick, preferably automated way to purge the student mailboxes of all Exchange server side data (messages, appointments, rules, server side settings, etc?) Um - how about having all mailboxes in a single store, then dismounting the store and deleted the .edb and .stm files? That woul...

Import-Mailbox
Hello, Is there any known issue using the import-mailbox cmdlet on Outlook 2003 PST files on an Exchange 2007 server ? The command runs fine, the XML log file shows no error at all, but nothing appears in the target mailbox. In the meantime, I have no problem at all importing Outlook 2007 PST files. Thanks in advance. Christian I found many had this same issue as described in this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/cf 7fa77d-05ca-4348-94fe-9160854300d3/ They resolved this using Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2007 Ser...

restore money 2003 upgrade??
In July I downloaded the trial version of Money 2003. I then purchased the upgrade offer (Money Deluxe 2003 English Upgrade From Money Trial). Recently I had some sort of problem with my computer that I only knew how to fix by completely reinstalling Windows XP. I went to locate the trial offer of Money 2003 and only found the international version. I downloaded that thinking I could live with favourite instead of favorite and so forth but - I can't figure out how to reinstall my upgrade and make everything work. I can't get help from Microsoft because they want my produc...

opening files created on previous versions
I am trying to open a file created in pub95 version5.0 with pub98. Response- cannot open files created on previous versions. Is there a way around this? Thanks Hi Lloyd (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I am trying to open a file created in pub95 version5.0 with pub98. || Response- cannot open files created on previous versions. Is there a || way around this? Thanks How do you know what the previous version was? FWIW, Publisher 95 (Actually called Publisher for Windows 95) is version 3.0. Version 5.0 is version 98. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publis...

Mailbox manager cleanup agent skips mailboxes?
Hi, I have a pretty simple setup, a single Exchange 2003 server, single domain, only one Mailbox policy, it runs the Mailbox manager every Sunday, cleans up items in Sent Items, SPAM, and the Deleted Items folders based on age. It has run for a while now, generates a report to me, and a note to the users. Every week it cleans up about 400MB worth of messages. Lately, I received calls from a few users whose mailboxes went over the size limit, and when I look at the report, I find it didn't run the cleanup agent on that mailbox. I don't see it documented anywhere, but now it's a chic...

Reminder/Meeting version/format
Hi all. I use VB6 to add reminders and set meetings in outlook: Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set objMeet = olApp.CreateItem(1) '1=olAppointmentItem In the code I use : objMeet.OptionalAttendees = strEmails I have two machines, one with Outlook2000 and the other with Outlook XP. When I run this code on the machine that has Outlook 2000, the machine with Outlook XP gets the invitation correctly (I can see its a meeting invitation, I can accept/reject etc.). When I run this code on the machine that has Outlook XP, the machine with Outlook 2000 gets th...

Remove old stock transactions
I have Money and Business 2002. I want to remove old, ancient stock transactions. How can I remove them in bulk instead of one - by -one (that will take years)? ...