Restoring Exchange 5.5 Mailbox from Backup (Backup Exec) to Exchange Server 2003

We currently upgraded our network including a move from
Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.  We exported users'
mailboxes to .pst files and subsequently imported them
into the 2003 environment.  One user's mailbox was not
extracted to a .pst file.  The exchange server in which
the mailbox resided was upgraded as well along with having
Exchange 5.5 removed.  We now use a single server for mail
services (Exchange 2003) with a different server name.

I have a backup (Backup Exec 9.1) of the mailboxes in tape
form.  I need to import the mailbox data of this
particular user into the new Exchange Server.  This
server, as stated before, is newer and holds a different
name.

The original mail server which held this user's mailbox
was Windows NT.  I still have an NT machine (different
domain) with Exchange 5.5 on it.  However, I do not have a
tape drive attached to it.

Any suggestions on how to extract this mailbox to a .pst
for import into the new Exchange Server?

HELP!!!
0
anonymous (74722)

basically, you need to build a recovery server - see this:

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRestore.a
sp

"CS TYP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We currently upgraded our network including a move from
> Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.  We exported users'
> mailboxes to .pst files and subsequently imported them
> into the 2003 environment.  One user's mailbox was not
> extracted to a .pst file.  The exchange server in which
> the mailbox resided was upgraded as well along with having
> Exchange 5.5 removed.  We now use a single server for mail
> services (Exchange 2003) with a different server name.
>
> I have a backup (Backup Exec 9.1) of the mailboxes in tape
> form.  I need to import the mailbox data of this
> particular user into the new Exchange Server.  This
> server, as stated before, is newer and holds a different
> name.
>
> The original mail server which held this user's mailbox
> was Windows NT.  I still have an NT machine (different
> domain) with Exchange 5.5 on it.  However, I do not have a
> tape drive attached to it.
>
> Any suggestions on how to extract this mailbox to a .pst
> for import into the new Exchange Server?
>
> HELP!!!

0
susan7353 (1225)
6/2/2004 5:08:29 PM
The only way would be to build an offline recovery server with a tape drive
attached.  It would be better if you had an offline copy of your database
files.  If not you have quite a bit of work to recover one mailbox, see
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/administration/55/backuprestore.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%20en-us;231439
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158545

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"CS TYP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We currently upgraded our network including a move from
> Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.  We exported users'
> mailboxes to .pst files and subsequently imported them
> into the 2003 environment.  One user's mailbox was not
> extracted to a .pst file.  The exchange server in which
> the mailbox resided was upgraded as well along with having
> Exchange 5.5 removed.  We now use a single server for mail
> services (Exchange 2003) with a different server name.
>
> I have a backup (Backup Exec 9.1) of the mailboxes in tape
> form.  I need to import the mailbox data of this
> particular user into the new Exchange Server.  This
> server, as stated before, is newer and holds a different
> name.
>
> The original mail server which held this user's mailbox
> was Windows NT.  I still have an NT machine (different
> domain) with Exchange 5.5 on it.  However, I do not have a
> tape drive attached to it.
>
> Any suggestions on how to extract this mailbox to a .pst
> for import into the new Exchange Server?
>
> HELP!!!

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

exchange 5.5 #30
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 251016 I was trying to following the instructions on how to troubleshoot this issue but the Kb doesn't show you how to resolve this issue. I found all tracking logs but it doesn't show the sender information. Doesn't anyone have a idea where i can find the sender info? Thanks, Al This issue may also occur if a user from the Internet sends an e-mail message to the public folder, and in the client permissions for that folder, the Default item under Name has anything less than Contributor permissions selected under Role. In this case, the NDR...

Backup address book ?????
If i am going to restore outlook express how do i backup my address book as to not loose them on the restore or fresh install. ?? Thks Tim This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for O...

Outlook 2003 sends my gmail through 2 steps, why??
I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox rather than get sent right away. Then from my outbox, I can send the email. This seems like a redundancy in efforts, how can I get Outlook to send it straight away? Look at the Tools Menu, then Options, then Mail Setup Tab. Check off the box "Send immediately when connected". -- Lenny V "Uncle Scotty" wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through > smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox...

Winfax 10 causes an error on Exit of Outlook 2003!!
Hi all Just installed Winfax 10 and since doing so, everytime I exit Outlook 2003 I get an error "Microsoft Office Outllok has encountered a problem and needs to close, We are sorry for this inconvenience." I did view the report prepared for sending to MS and there was mention of the Winfax plugin causing the problem. Anyone know of a workaround or perhaps I need to dump Winfax! Regards John Have you checked with Symantec yet to see if they have managed to get WinFax 10 to work with Outlook 2003? It usually takes them several months to bring WinFax up to speed, if they ever ...

No room on partition for more Exchange 5.5 mail ! What to do?
No room on partition for more Exchange 5.5 mail ! What to=20 do?=B4Can't move mail boxes either... Move Storage group? Can you install or add another hard disk? Drives are cheap now a days. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "John B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1255501c44294$a3ce0f00$a101280a@phx.gbl... No room on partition for more Exchange 5.5 mail ! What to do?�Can't move mail boxes either... Move Storage group? then you need to get another, larger drive and move your database/s to it ...

NTBackup Exchange Problem
When run NTBackup on the Exchange server, the NTBackup error message said: "the server is not a Microsoft Exchange mail server or Exchange services is not start" At this time we can run NTBackup from another Exchange Server and backup data for the one that have the problems. The TechNet suggested to replaced the required files: NTBackup.exe, Edbbcli.dll, Edbback.dll and Msvcrt40.dll files into ...-Root\System32\. After replaced the required files, we still have the same problems. Anyone have any ideal we could tried??? Thanks CDJM wrote: > When run NTBackup on the E...

Entourage / Exchange Server
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3227010817_5020178 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I work out of a small office (4 Mac computers total) and we all have Entourage/Office 2004. If we install an exchange server, can we set up Entourage so that each person is able to access each other�s calendar�s and contacts. So for instance, if I need to add an item on to someone�s calendar, I can just open it up and check. --B_3227010817...

VC .net 2003 IDE subfolder question
I've been using VC6 for a long time, but finally switched to VC .NET 2003 ... in VC6 I was able to put subfolders within a project. But now I can only place subfolders within a SOLUTION (i.e. subfolders are "outside" of the projects). Is there some way to add a folder within the project? When I say "subfolder" I don't mean Windows directories, I mean just in the classview to visually categorize my classes within a project. My projects are pretty large and I just don't want to have to browse the huge list of classes in class view if I'm only working on a spe...

Updating Exchange admin tools with SP1 on XP
I have the Exchange 2003 System Management Tools installed on my XP workstation and have been using them to manage Exchange without any problems. After updating the server with Exchange 2003 SP1, I tried to update the the System Management tools on the workstation. When I do this, it wants to update Messaging Services as well as the admin tools, even though Messaging isn't and can't be installed on the XP workstation. I can't select just the System Tools for update since you have to select the parent. But as soon as I select update (the only option) for the parent, it complains it...

EXCEL 2003
hi Im performing Logical boolean operations using MS Excel. The only problem is that its displaying result set as "TRUE/FALSE" and I want to have the result in binary. Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? please tell me ASAP. thank "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? =--(A1>A2) returns 1 for TRUE and 0 for FALSE. Similarly for =1*(A1>A2) "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

date formulas #5
Please help! I have given an example of part of the spreadsheet i am creating to outline my queery: Report in / Reply due / 1 Sept 2005 / 1 Sept 05 4 Sept 2005 / 18 Sept 05 / 14 Jan 00 / etc, / etc, I have entered the following formula in the 'reply due' column: B1 = A1 + 14 which calculates the date two weeks after the date in the 'report in' column. When i drag the formula down so it applies the entire 'reply due' column the cells aut...

Migrating Mailboxes from one domain to another domain
I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do something and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I need to migrate user mailboxes from one server to another, easy enough right... well here is where my issues are. server one is in say abc.local domain server two is in say xyz.local domain there are the same users in both domains, with the same naming convention. so to clear that up if i have a user called ttest in domain abc, user ttest is also in xyz. the old administration had seperated these domains due to function and security, but now they want to...

Forward in outlook 2002 / 2003
Hello, I have an e-mail which contains a form. This e-mail must be forwarded to a lot of recipients. I've tested some mail readers, without any problem. But, in MS Outlook 2002 / 2003, when I try to forward the message, the html code changes, converting my <form action='http://xxx' name='f'> into <form>. What I mean is that I lose the essential parameters to send the form. Of course, when I recieve the e-mail forwarded by outlook 2002/2003, and I try to submit the form, it can't be able to send the data, because it have no information about where and how ha...

Recovery server #4
Hi, I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info store of an Exchange 2003 server. I can not use the recovery storage group as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec. I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path matter? I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions of exchange without issue. The only diffenences in this case is that 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the production server has the exchange databases on ...

SBS 2k and Exchange 2k Help
Hi All I'm having a problem with Exhange 2000. I support an office of about 5 people, and they are running SBS2000 with Exchange 2000, during the past couple of days they haven't been able to send/receive e-mail, and they haven't been able to browse the internet. I initially thought the server was being used for Relaying, however the queues are not very high (about 14 e-mails) and the Telnet tests suggest it can't be used for relaying. When I got there last night the server was fine and after a quick re-boot I sent numerous e-mails to my home account which I received, and I...

Problem moving mailbox between administrative groups
Hi there, We have a big problem. We need to move mailboxes from one adm group to other, and at ramdom we receive a MAPI Error Error moving messages CN=testuser,CN=users,dc=machine,dc=company,dc=com The MAPI call failed MAPI or an unspecified service provicer ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000 The Exchange 2000 organization is in native mode (All E2K) Any thoughts. Thanks in advance -- Gabriel N Argentina ...

Error Message about "sync server"
I'm syncing an iPhone to Outlook & get a strange error message -- the message is from Outlook, offers to review conflicts or not, then pops up the box with "Unable to retrieve conflict information from the sync server. Please try again next time the conflict resolver window is presented." What does it mean by "sync server"? bj Maybe this? http://www.slipstick.com/problems/syncerror.htm Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ OutlookForums http://www.outlookfor...

Word as Editor in OL 2003
I'm trying to use Word as my html editor in OL 2003. I must have changed a setting and now the text I see is about 18 pt. Arial instead of the 10 pt. Arial I see if I use plain text. Is there a setting I can change? Thanks. Never mind. "hank" <not@home.com> wrote in message news:OlbM9zNvDHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to use Word as my html editor in OL 2003. I must have changed a > setting and now the text I see is about 18 pt. Arial instead of the 10 pt. > Arial I see if I use plain text. Is there a setting I can change? Thanks. > > ...

ADC #5

Oulook Backup
I recently updated to Outlook 2003. I tried to install Backup 2003. I get the error message, must remove old version, answer yes to the next question. I answer yes, I get the error message uninstall via Control Panel. I don't have the old version in the control panel. How do I un-install and or install XP/2003. You checked the Add/Remove Programs applet dialogue? "limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote in message news:LGV4f.151771$qY1.151354@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > I recently updated to Outlook 2003. > > I tried to install Backup 2003. &g...

Single Singn on to Exchange Mail Boxes
Hello, My site currently runs MS CRM 4.0, Active Directory and MS Exchange server for mail and calendar. We do have a rather strict password policies, where the users are to change their domain password every 60 days. In most cases, the users, 'forget' to also change the password in the CRM to access the Exchange their mail boxes, expecting single sign on as with most of the other miscrosoft software, which every 2 months causes lots of support issues (like workflows not completing, and mail router not being able to access their mail boxes). Is there a way to automate that the ...

How do I change mailbox owner in AD?
How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? T. The mailbox is linked to the user account. You can grant an additional user(s) "owner" access by granting Full Mailbox access on the Exchange Advanced Tab of the user properties. Glen "Thomas Houseman" <thomashouseman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OZwMptUxEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? > > T. > > Verify that you have mailbox retention enabled. ( right-click mailbox store/properties/limits). This is extremely Important! ...

cached exchange mode enabled, not receiving email
have found several posts about Outlook not receiving messages when cached Exchange mode is enabled, none of them have solutions. I guess it's not a popular topic. However, I have a user with a laptop who cannot receive email with CEM enabled. As soon as it is disabled, and Outlook is restarted, it works fine. I've seen this before, but on a desktop, so I just disabled CEM. With this being a roaming laptop, I can't opt for the easy out. Does anyone have an answer for this? In news:1144771101.358073.182520@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, carlh@ccsweb.net <carlh@ccsweb....

Best Practise
Hi Everyone, In the process of creating a new Exchange 2003 SP2 Cluster, and had some questions about breaking up the stores. I am a bit confused between Storage Groups, and Mailbox Stores. To break things down, here is the current setup on the existing Exchange Server (the non cluster one) 400+ Users Store is at 110GB Backup Time - Long When I start moving staff over to the new Exchange box, we want to implement quotas, and break up some of the accounts. Thought process was this: 1)Directors\Management\Tech - No Quotas 2)Supervisors and other Critical Staff - 700MB 3)Other staff - ...

Exchange web site appear Error in the IIS
Hi i have at my company a win 2000 SP4 domain , the exchange 2000 SP3 and roll up patched is installed on it when i checked the IIS that mornning i had found out that the exchange website folder appear in read Icon with error word so did any body know why its like so and how can i solve it Any support is appreciated Thanks Maged N. Roshdy On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:51:08 -0800, Maged N. Roshdy <MagedNRoshdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >i have at my company a win 2000 SP4 domain , the exchange 2000 SP3 and roll >up patched is installed on it > >when...