Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp

Hi all,
At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup
tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native
forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running
2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers.
Exchange servers are located in the child domains.
In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster,
2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and
EX05.
Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able
to do a DR into my test site.
My question is the following: Should I install my Exchange server in my test
site as EX01 and do a DR towards this EX01? or should I install an Exchange
server as EX04 and do the DR towards this EX04? Or is it perhaps better to
install the server as an unknown name like "EX500" and restore all to this
and then perhaps afterwards rename the EX500 to EX04 since all Outlook (2003)
clients refer to the EX04?
Offcourse at the moment the only server that has a computer account in the
AD is EX01 since this is the node of the cluster.

Thanks for any help.

cheers,

Raymond
0
RaymondH (6)

I see that i forgot to mention some things.
EX04 has 4 Mailstores, 1 PS
EX05 has 4 Mailstores
EX04 is the first exchange server in the organization.
Don't know if this new info adds to a answer though.

Cheers again,

Raymond
0
RaymondH (6)
3/29/2006 10:36:02 AM
Have you considered using a single node cluster? It is one of the cluster
models supported by MS.

Nue
"Raymond H" <RaymondH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I see that i forgot to mention some things.
> EX04 has 4 Mailstores, 1 PS
> EX05 has 4 Mailstores
> EX04 is the first exchange server in the organization.
> Don't know if this new info adds to a answer though.
>
> Cheers again,
>
> Raymond

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/29/2006 1:34:01 PM
Can I ask exactly what the purpose is of creating this full test
environment?

Are you expecting to have it available in case you lose your primary
datacenter?  Is this just for Exchange?  Are you expecting that all Outlook
clients will seamlessly switch over to using the DR servers (probably not
going to happen)?

If you outline what you are trying to achieve, we can perhaps offer some
thoughts on how to best achieve that desired outcome.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Hi all,
> At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup
> tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000
> native
> forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are
> running
> 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers.
> Exchange servers are located in the child domains.
> In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange
> cluster,
> 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04
> and
> EX05.
> Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be
> able
> to do a DR into my test site.
> My question is the following: Should I install my Exchange server in my
> test
> site as EX01 and do a DR towards this EX01? or should I install an
> Exchange
> server as EX04 and do the DR towards this EX04? Or is it perhaps better to
> install the server as an unknown name like "EX500" and restore all to this
> and then perhaps afterwards rename the EX500 to EX04 since all Outlook
> (2003)
> clients refer to the EX04?
> Offcourse at the moment the only server that has a computer account in the
> AD is EX01 since this is the node of the cluster.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> cheers,
>
> Raymond

0
Ben
3/29/2006 2:38:35 PM
Hi Ben,
thanks for your reply and sure you can.
Our previous environment was an environment that wasn't built up using
backup tapes. Now, we want to create a test environment which is really built
up using the backup tapes. This way we can also see how we have to do a DR on
a site and write our full plan accordingly.
We have enough servers to create an almost full test environment and enough
space too. The issue here is that we do not have a SAN in our test
environment to create full clusters, we have one in test, but it is outdated
and can not work without the use of fiberswitches in our test env. The other
thing is that we do not have a machine in test that has enough capacity to
hold the Exchange server built up in "
"virtual server" which is ofcourse possible too.
Our other production servers are already restored in test. These are SQL
servers, IIS and other stuff, these weren't the problem. The only thing that
needs to be in test is the exchange environment. And i want to restore it in
the way as mentioned if that's possible offcourse.
Our company tends to see full test reports on things we implement in our
live site. Our old test environment did not meet our "required standards" so
now we're building a test environment that is fully based on our live
environment.
One thing that will never happen is that we will use this environment in
case of calamity. It's a test environment. and will be treated as such.

Hope this answers a bit.

Raymond.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Can I ask exactly what the purpose is of creating this full test
> environment?
>
> Are you expecting to have it available in case you lose your primary
> datacenter?  Is this just for Exchange?  Are you expecting that all Outlook
> clients will seamlessly switch over to using the DR servers (probably not
> going to happen)?
>
> If you outline what you are trying to achieve, we can perhaps offer some
> thoughts on how to best achieve that desired outcome.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Raymond H" <RaymondH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup
> > tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000
> > native
> > forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are
> > running
> > 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers.
> > Exchange servers are located in the child domains.
> > In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange
> > cluster,
> > 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04
> > and
> > EX05.
> > Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be
> > able
> > to do a DR into my test site.
> > My question is the following: Should I install my Exchange server in my
> > test
> > site as EX01 and do a DR towards this EX01? or should I install an
> > Exchange
> > server as EX04 and do the DR towards this EX04? Or is it perhaps better to
> > install the server as an unknown name like "EX500" and restore all to this
> > and then perhaps afterwards rename the EX500 to EX04 since all Outlook
> > (2003)
> > clients refer to the EX04?
> > Offcourse at the moment the only server that has a computer account in the
> > AD is EX01 since this is the node of the cluster.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Raymond

0
RaymondH (6)
3/30/2006 6:29:01 AM
Hi Nuevo,

haven't considered that yet. gonna look for that now.
Thanks.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Have you considered using a single node cluster? It is one of the cluster
> models supported by MS.
>
> Nue
> "Raymond H" <RaymondH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I see that i forgot to mention some things.
> > EX04 has 4 Mailstores, 1 PS
> > EX05 has 4 Mailstores
> > EX04 is the first exchange server in the organization.
> > Don't know if this new info adds to a answer though.
> >
> > Cheers again,
> >
> > Raymond

0
RaymondH (6)
3/30/2006 6:34:01 AM
Raymond,

That does help.

Sounds like you just want to test the restore (and perhaps hook up a few
client computers?).

In this case, assuming you already have at least one GC from your forest
root in the DR site restored, and at least one GC from the child domain
containing Exchange, you should be able to simply do a /disasterrecovery
install of Exchange with the computer named EX04.  The only thing you will
need to do here is make sure that you have drive letters matching the
original install.  i.e. if your production cluster contains an E: drive, F:
drive, etc, those need to exist on the DR node.  The DR node does not need
to behave as a cluster (AFAIK).

The other option, which you mentioned, should also work fine.  Install
Exchange with a different name, do the restore of the databases, then rename
the Exchange server to the correct name (EX04).  This will allow the
databases to be mounted.

Let us know how it works out!

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> [...]
>> > EX05.
>> > Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be
>> > able
>> > to do a DR into my test site.
>> > My question is the following: Should I install my Exchange server in my
>> > test
>> > site as EX01 and do a DR towards this EX01? or should I install an
>> > Exchange
>> > server as EX04 and do the DR towards this EX04? Or is it perhaps better
>> > install the server as an unknown name like "EX500" and restore all to
>> > this
>> > and then perhaps afterwards rename the EX500 to EX04 since all Outlook
>> > (2003)
>> > clients refer to the EX04?
>> > Offcourse at the moment the only server that has a computer account in
>> > the
>> > AD is EX01 since this is the node of the cluster.

0
Ben
3/30/2006 2:59:15 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks!

I'm gonna try the first option (no renaming) and will offcourse let you know
what happened.

> [...]

> > now we're building a test environment that is fully based on our live
> > environment.
> > One thing that will never happen is that we will use this environment in
> > case of calamity. It's a test environment. and will be treated as such.
> >
> > Hope this answers a bit.
> >
> > Raymond.
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Can I ask exactly what the purpose is of creating this full test
> >> environment?
> >>
> >> Are you expecting to have it available in case you lose your primary
> >> datacenter?  Is this just for Exchange?  Are you expecting that all
> >> Outlook
> >> clients will seamlessly switch over to using the DR servers (probably not
> >> going to happen)?
> >>
> >> If you outline what you are trying to achieve, we can perhaps offer some
> >> thoughts on how to best achieve that desired outcome.

0
RaymondH (6)
4/5/2006 11:59:01 AM
Hello again,

I did the restore to a server named EX04, ofcourse installed it with the
/disasterrecovery option, and all worked out fine. no problems at all, hooked
up my own client and no problems occured. Quite an easy thing to do once
you've done it before, then again, don't want to know what happens if things
don't work out fine :).
Anyway, now we can go on creating a bigger testsite.

Thanks for your help Ben.

Raymond

"Raymond H" wrote:

> [...]
> > > hold the Exchange server built up in "
> > > "virtual server" which is ofcourse possible too.
> > > Our other production servers are already restored in test. These are SQL
> > > servers, IIS and other stuff, these weren't the problem. The only thing
> > > that
> > > needs to be in test is the exchange environment. And i want to restore it
> > > in
> > > the way as mentioned if that's possible offcourse.
> > > Our company tends to see full test reports on things we implement in our
> > > live site. Our old test environment did not meet our "required standards"
> > > so
> > > now we're building a test environment that is fully based on our live
> > > environment.
> > > One thing that will never happen is that we will use this environment in
> > > case of calamity. It's a test environment. and will be treated as such.

0
RaymondH (6)

Upgrade Money Standard 2003 with Money Deluxe
I had a power surge. I put Money 2003 Standard back on new computer. I upgraded from Money Standard to Money Deluxe on my old computer with an activation number. How do I add this activation number to Money Standard 2003 to update to Money Deluxe 2003. I have the long activation standard copy on paper. Thanks, hmcdonald ...

Money Standard Edition 2003 vs. Money Enhanced 2002
What is the main difference between the two? I currently own the standard edition 2003. Regards, Deborah Have you checked the features tables at http://www.microsoft.com/money? "Deborah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07f801c3d4d4$951b3790$a101280a@phx.gbl... > What is the main difference between the two? I currently > own the standard edition 2003. ...

Tracking GST/VAT in MSMoney Standard
I'm new to Money & processing small business accounts. Had no problems tracking & reporting VAT in Quicken & havegot Money to calculate VAT with each relevant entry. Somehow just not finding a report that shows VAT totals, taxable income etc. Please HELP!!!!! ...

Outlook 2007 Standard shutting down unasked
After I enter a new contact or edit a contact, Outlook shuts down and tells me it's searching for the problem. I guess it's never found a solution, since it's been doing this for a couple of months. I have the Vista OS. Any ideas? Thanks. cnoon <cnoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After I enter a new contact or edit a contact, Outlook shuts down and > tells me it's searching for the problem. I guess it's never found a > solution, since it's been doing this for a couple of months. I have > the Vista OS. Any ideas? Thanks. Try a new mail prof...

How to update a Finished Goods items after changing the standard cost of an item
We're on Great Plains 7.5, using Horizon's Manufacturing System (7.5 - 71a). Apparently help files associated with that module were not installed or installed correctly, and resources on the Horizons page have not been useful. What I'm hoping to find out is how we update a Finished Goods item after changing the standard cost of an item. After updating the standard cost of all the Labor inventory items and opening up a finished goods item to redisplay, the labor standard cost does not change to the new standard. Is this associated with rolling up a change, and please a...

SBS 2k3 Exchange Public Folder move to 2003 Standard Exchange 2.6G
I need to move a public folder from my sbs2003 standard server to my new Windows 2003 Standard w/ 2003 Exchange standard server. However, the Public Folder is 2.6+ GB large and will not export to a pst. Any Ideas? Why won't it export to PST? Outlook 2003 Unicode PST's support much larger than 2gb. You might also look at using PFMigrate. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17D41351-C0B6-494E-8F5A-2166C35F...

Defrag SBS2003 Standard
I have a SBS2003 Standard server running Exchange 2003. Server and exchange are installed on RAID 5 Array across 3 physical disks. I would like to run Windows Disk Defrag on the server to restructure data for some increased performance. What is the recommended approach in proceeding? Stop Exchange and other services (AV, Content filtering, etc) before running defrag? Run defrag in safe mode? Thanks in advance. Hi Mark, Thanks for your post. I would like to suggest you take the server offline during the maintenance time, disable anti-virus, anti-spam etc monitoring s...

Replace/modify standard data form?
Hi, I want to replace the standard data form, which is used to maintain data sets in an excel table, by a user defined form (alternatively I would like to modify the standard form). Does anybody know if/how this is possible? Thanks, Axel Axel, Going to need more information I'm afraid. Can you explain further or send an example? -- Jon Quixley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985...

standard replys in Outlook 2002
Hi all ... Maybe a very basic question, but here we go: I get several mails eatch day, that could use a standard reply. Now, i would like to make a button in my toolbar, when clicking on it i get a listing of predefined replys (templates). When i choose one out of this list, it will create a custom reply, that includes the original message, and puts in some predefined text. How can this be done? I suppose that the above will require some VBA? Don't know anything about this! Any other solutions? And then, how can i create mailtemplates in Outlook2002? Are these all forms? If yes, i'm t...

How does Access differ from SQL 92 standards?
Was just wondering in what ways does MS Access differ from SQL 92 standards. I have noted that Access uses the '*' instead of the '%' when implementing wildcards in database queries. JET (the data engine in Access) supports a subset of the full SQL standard, plus some Microsoft extensions that are not part of the SQL standard. The actual differences vary with different versions of JET. Examples: a) the TOP predicate is supported but, full outer joins are not. b) DDL operations are more limited in Access than standard SQL. c) JET 4 (Access 2000) supported mo...

Standard inventory transfer
I have one client that create a standard inventory transfer instead of "Inter-store transfer" and committed it, but it is not going to the other store, because of "Standard" be choosen. How can I get it to transfer to the other store, since it already took out the inventory from the store it is being transfer out of? Hi DCR - probably the easiest thing to do is a "standard" transfer in that matches the "standard" transfer out, then do the inter-store transfer out. "DCR" wrote: > I have one client that create a standard inventory tran...

Money 2004 Standard acting up
Suddenly I cannot enter any new transactions into 2004 Standard Edition. When I enter a new bill under the "Bills & Deposits" pulldown and click on the OK button, nothing happens. When I enter it as a new check and try to save it with the Enter button, I get an Info popup that says: "This transaction cannot be entered." though I used to be able to before. Anybody knows how to get out of this? Thanks, Rudy Try a repair on the file. The option is on the File-> menu -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft....

32bit Enterprise vs 64bit Standard
If you were setting up a new SQL 2008 server that you knew would need access to at least 8GB of RAM, and you didn't need any of features exclusive to Enterprise edition, would you go with SQL 2008 64bit Standard Edition or SQL 2008 32bit Enterprise Edition in order to gain access to the full 8GB? An odd question, but one my customers seem to ask a lot. Thanks. Hi If you do not need the features of enterprise, then why would you not install 64bit standard (or 32bit with appropriate flags)? http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx http://...

From 2004 Deluuxe Trial to 2004 Standard
My 2004 Deluxe Trial ran out so I installed 2004 Standard. I'm unable to update prices online. What gives? Thanks in advance for the help. M04 Standard quotes may have expired already--read the EULA in Help|About|License agreement. "schucher" <schucher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03AD1091-EAB8-4814-9422-5FC781E939EE@microsoft.com... > My 2004 Deluxe Trial ran out so I installed 2004 Standard. I'm unable to > update prices online. What gives? > > Thanks in advance for the help. I looked at the EULA and it states 2 years from...

Exchange Standard 2003 DB sizes
Hi, Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a simple process? What issues should I be aware of before applying this? Is it recomended!!! As long as you have SP2 installed it's a no brainer. Go for it. "Andy Wolsten" wrote: > Hi, > > Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed > that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. > > Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a...

Upgrading from Deluxe to Standard
-- I now have Money 2004 Deluxe - if I upgrade to 2005 Standard will I lose the features I have like cash flow chart, etc?? You will lose your cash flow and will have many problems. I almost promise you. Read through this site for the problems most of us have had. I just uninstalled 2005 and went to my old one. Don't upgrade, please. I visited Amazon.com to read their customer's comments. Most have had problems. Go to this site to read them: I just visited Amazon's website to read how their customers rated Money 2005. It appears most hate it. Check this LINK to rea...

Modify BOM with standard cost report
I need to modify the Basic BOM With Standard Cost report to show the parent item of components at all levels of a BOM. Our BOMs go 5 to 7 layers deep. The temp table built for the report includes a parent part number field but that value always comes out as the topmost item the report was run for. We're on 9.0 currently. Basically what I'm trying to show is on level 1 components the parent woudl be whateve the report was run for; level 2 components would then show a different sub-assembly as their parent. Can this be done in report writer? Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef ------...

Office Standard 2003, no more activations left by phone or online
I have used all of my activations, online and by phone. Am I out of luck and need to purchase a new key? Is there a way around this? If its a retail version you can install as often as you like providing you dont exceed the number of *working* PC's its licensed for. If an oem version its only licensed for the origonal PC "BettyBlue" <BettyBlue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A099EC53-A617-4083-83F7-889AECFFAD01@microsoft.com... >I have used all of my activations, online and by phone. Am I out of luck >and > need to purchase a new...

Downloading process for Office Standard 2007 online
I experienced a severe computer failure and when it was repaired, I lost my installed programs. I need to get back on Outlook and Word, but only have the program key for the Office Standard 2007 program. How do I get to the screen where I can input my program key to get the process started? You need the Office installation cd in order to reinstall "Jack" <Clear@view.com> wrote in message news:8777DDC2-9BED-4B0D-8EC0-F1A35D5DE37C@microsoft.com... >I experienced a severe computer failure and when it was repaired, I lost my > installed programs. I need to get...

Applying corporate standards
The powers that be here have decided they want a particular look and feel to our emails. I've worked out a method where I keep the email signatures on the server and part of the login script uses RoboCopy to make sure the workstation local files haven't changed. Other parts of the request are a bit trickier to meet: 1. Ensure "Compose message in" is set to HTML 2. For both Replies and Forwarded messages, select "Include original message text" (no indent!) 3. Set font for new messages and replies to Arial, 10 pt, black 4. For re...

Graph Standard Deviations
I have about 40 points that I wish to graph. I used these points to get a logarithmic trendline. Now I want to graph one standard deviation above and one below. How do I do that. ed wrote: > I have about 40 points that I wish to graph. I used these points to get a > logarithmic trendline. Now I want to graph one standard deviation above and > one below. How do I do that. I'd use helper columns. Compute the values for the +/- sigma at each X value and then just add them to your graph in the normal way. There may be something more clever, but this should work. Go...

Standard DLL link to MFC lib
Hello. We had a standard (NON-MFC) DLL that exported two worker functions. This DLL had to be modified to use a MFC DLL (to link to a MFC LIB) that exported a class CMFCClass1. That means: the class header *must* be included into some CPP file and, since the CMFCClass1 uses MFC objects (CString, CFIle, etc.) afx headers must be included also. I managed to include the header files in the right order (if you don't include the MyClass.h header first - afx tells me that windows.h is already included). I set the projetc's options to "Use MFC in a shared DLL". _The problem...

Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
I'm doing this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2009/03/10/more-ie8-extensibility-improvements.aspx But it's not working. I have "iexplore.exe" set to 8888 (decimal mode) under MACHINE, but it's still coming up documentMode = 5. I thought 8888 was suppose to force IE8 Standards Mode whether you have a doctype or not. What is going on? Mutton is still mutton without a shipping slip that says its lamb. Add a DTD (Document type declaration) to your page and validate your markup so that it complies to the w3c standard(s) defined by your DTD. Reg...

Organizing standard email messages
I have several dozen emails that I send out to my clients each week. A typical email will say something like, "This week you had no blah, blah, blah." Or it might say, "This month you had 15 blah, blah, blah and you can see them in the attached file." I use a standard signature file so my contact info is always there and always current. I currently keep a folder of generic messages like this and each week I pick the appropriate message, change a date in the text, attach the current file and send. This works fine but I can't help but wonder if somebody else has a ...

Prevent inventory transactions for items with standard cost zero
Is there any way to prevent all inventory transactions for an item. We have several items which have zero standard cost and we want to prevent transactions on them so long as the standard cost is zero for them. Any ideas? Thank you. Jack: What's the scenario that causes them to have zero cost? Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL They define an item for the future but see that the item is already getting used by users ahead of time. "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" <fhamelly@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:1183049573.147104.258510@k29g2000hsd.googl...