REstoring a mail sotre to a newly installed exchange 2003

Hi,

I have a windows SBS 2003 server installed with a couple of mailboxes on it.
I backed up the mail store then decided to reinstall the OS. The  reason to
do this was to partition the disk differently.
So I installed the OS from scratch, and now I need to restore my mail store
backup done using ntbackup.
Should I recreate the old users on my SBS2003 system or should I just
restore the mail store on top of the exisiting mailstore created by the fresh
installtion of the OS.
I didn't backup anything else but the mailstore.
The newly installed server uses the same domain name as the old one.
So now I have a newly installed server, no users yet, and I want to restore
my old backup is there a way to do this and how?

Thanks.

0
sato (1)

I am not that familiar with SBS, but essentially, what you will have to do
is restore the exchagne database, create new users, but do not create a
mailbox for them, and then reattach the user to the restored mailbox.

It looks like the procedures are outlined here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2000/maintain/bkuprcvr.mspx

"sato" <sato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a windows SBS 2003 server installed with a couple of mailboxes on
> it.
> I backed up the mail store then decided to reinstall the OS. The  reason
> do this was to partition the disk differently.
> So I installed the OS from scratch, and now I need to restore my mail
> store
> backup done using ntbackup.
> Should I recreate the old users on my SBS2003 system or should I just
> restore the mail store on top of the exisiting mailstore created by the
> fresh
> installtion of the OS.
> I didn't backup anything else but the mailstore.
> The newly installed server uses the same domain name as the old one.
> So now I have a newly installed server, no users yet, and I want to
> restore
> my old backup is there a way to do this and how?
>
> Thanks.

0
tfelts1 (344)

How do I get OL 2003 to back up everythihg in it automatically
I am trying to find out if there is a possibility in Outlook 2003 to save and back up all my Outlook 2003 Info , including contacts, e-mails (received and send) automatically rather than having to do it manually everytime I exit the program? you can use a script and make a copy before you open outlook or use a backup tool to make a copy of the pst and your other files as needed. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ ...

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Exchange for remote users/offices
Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe. I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go. Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up as a true Exchange server hosing the mail. But, again, am not sure i want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to. So, is there a way to set up ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Exchange update problem

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003

How to restore entire server?

Addressing within Exchange 2003

M2006 installation
I don't have an internet connection and I can't get past the Passport sign-in screen upon installation. Is there a way to install without an internet connection? Thank you. -- Mark M This install is from a CD? Somewhere on that screen or the previous one, in small type, is a cancel/skip/no I really don't want to use a Passport choice. I'd be more precise, but I can't test here. "Mark M" <MarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBDC16A-8EA8-473D-AC7F-E16B9DCE75D6@microsoft.com... > I don't have an internet connection and I can...

Mail lMerge

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup