Restore single item from Public Folders

I have a single distribution list that was deleted from the Office Contacts 
in Public Folders. Is there anything even close to an easy way to restore 
just the one distribution list? Or am I in the boat of building a Virtual 
Server with Exchange, doing a full recovery of Public Folders, and then 
exporting the DL to a file and pulling that back into the production server?

Thanks,
Gordon
0
9/5/2006 5:45:01 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

9 Replies
265 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

you don't have DIR configured?  if you do, and you're the folder owner, you
should be able to recover the entry via Outlook (Recover Deleted Items)...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]



"Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E4C01B10-5FD4-4201-A0EC-67B501476AC8@microsoft.com...
> I have a single distribution list that was deleted from the Office
Contacts
> in Public Folders. Is there anything even close to an easy way to restore
> just the one distribution list? Or am I in the boat of building a Virtual
> Server with Exchange, doing a full recovery of Public Folders, and then
> exporting the DL to a file and pulling that back into the production
server?
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon


0
sconkey (3059)
9/5/2006 5:48:48 PM
Susan,
The owner of the folder isn't the one who deleted the item. I have checked 
via the owners machine, and not been able to recover using DIR. Any other 
options?

Also, what is the best practice for ownership of Public Folders? In this 
case the user who created the folders is the former IT Manager, who is still 
here in another capacity, but I can imagine problems if that person was gone, 
and their AD User with them.

Thanks,
Gordon

"Susan" wrote:

> you don't have DIR configured?  if you do, and you're the folder owner, you
> should be able to recover the entry via Outlook (Recover Deleted Items)...
> 
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
> 
> 
> 
> "Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E4C01B10-5FD4-4201-A0EC-67B501476AC8@microsoft.com...
> > I have a single distribution list that was deleted from the Office
> Contacts
> > in Public Folders. Is there anything even close to an easy way to restore
> > just the one distribution list? Or am I in the boat of building a Virtual
> > Server with Exchange, doing a full recovery of Public Folders, and then
> > exporting the DL to a file and pulling that back into the production
> server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gordon
> 
> 
> 
0
9/5/2006 6:03:02 PM
so there is no folder owner listed at all?  did you check to see if DIR is
configured on your public store?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]



"Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:77F51698-D159-4BAC-836C-DAF6144030FB@microsoft.com...
> Susan,
> The owner of the folder isn't the one who deleted the item. I have checked
> via the owners machine, and not been able to recover using DIR. Any other
> options?
>
> Also, what is the best practice for ownership of Public Folders? In this
> case the user who created the folders is the former IT Manager, who is
still
> here in another capacity, but I can imagine problems if that person was
gone,
> and their AD User with them.
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > you don't have DIR configured?  if you do, and you're the folder owner,
you
> > should be able to recover the entry via Outlook (Recover Deleted
Items)...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >
> >
> >
> > "Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:E4C01B10-5FD4-4201-A0EC-67B501476AC8@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a single distribution list that was deleted from the Office
> > Contacts
> > > in Public Folders. Is there anything even close to an easy way to
restore
> > > just the one distribution list? Or am I in the boat of building a
Virtual
> > > Server with Exchange, doing a full recovery of Public Folders, and
then
> > > exporting the DL to a file and pulling that back into the production
> > server?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gordon
> >
> >
> >


0
sconkey (3059)
9/5/2006 6:05:15 PM
Susan, 
added info. I just checked and DIR is configured. For ONE DAY RENENTION!!! 
Aiiii! Now it is configured for a week, and wait for backup.

Thanks,
Gordon
0
9/5/2006 6:08:02 PM
Gordon,

Use PFDAVAdmin

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PFDAVAdmin

Good Luck.  If you need help using it let me know.



"Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:9476FB1D-2AF2-49AD-A21A-57470F895AF3@microsoft.com...
> Susan,
> added info. I just checked and DIR is configured. For ONE DAY RENENTION!!!
> Aiiii! Now it is configured for a week, and wait for backup.
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon 


0
RHollaw (130)
9/5/2006 6:21:19 PM

"Susan" wrote:

> so there is no folder owner listed at all?  did you check to see if DIR is
> configured on your public store?

There is an owner listed, and I looked on his machine and was not able to 
recover. DIR was configured for 1 day retention on Public Folders, which I 
have now bumped to 7. However, the delete was done on Friday, so the 1 day 
retention kills me.

Thanks,
Gordon 
0
9/5/2006 6:29:01 PM

"Randy H" wrote:

> Use PFDAVAdmin

Randy,
do you suggest using PFDAVAdmin to actually recover the deleted file, or to 
apply new ownership? I suspect the latter, but I would love to find a way to 
do the former.

Thanks,
Gordon
0
9/5/2006 6:32:02 PM
Though you needed to recover an object in Public Folders.

PFDAVAdmin will recover deleted items.


"Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:82C4E149-FF2D-499B-922A-7D0ED613A994@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Randy H" wrote:
>
>> Use PFDAVAdmin
>
> Randy,
> do you suggest using PFDAVAdmin to actually recover the deleted file, or 
> to
> apply new ownership? I suspect the latter, but I would love to find a way 
> to
> do the former.
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon 


0
RHollaw (130)
9/5/2006 6:36:01 PM
It doesn't matter in this case, though, as the item is past the DIR period 
that was defined.

A recovery server will need to be set up if you need that exact item back. 
I'd ask the person who deleted it how important it is, and if it can 
potentially simply be re-created instead of restored.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com
http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)


"Randy H" <RHollaw@HOTmail.com> wrote in message 
news:%23svzkoR0GHA.1256@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Though you needed to recover an object in Public Folders.
>
> PFDAVAdmin will recover deleted items.
>
>
> "Gordon Price" <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:82C4E149-FF2D-499B-922A-7D0ED613A994@microsoft.com...
>>
>>
>> "Randy H" wrote:
>>
>>> Use PFDAVAdmin
>>
>> Randy,
>> do you suggest using PFDAVAdmin to actually recover the deleted file, or 
>> to
>> apply new ownership? I suspect the latter, but I would love to find a way 
>> to
>> do the former.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gordon
>
> 


0
Ben
9/5/2006 7:37:35 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to prevent item changed in a CListCtrl?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I have a CListCtrl in a Detailed View. Below the CListCtrl there are a few CEdits to display the value of each column. So it's kind of the data form. I need to do like this: If users has changed one of the CEdits BUT they haven't save the data and they want to change the selected item of the CListCtrl to other item, a confirmation message will appear to ask if the data they have been changed to be saved or not. There are 3 options: Yes: the data change is saved and the current focus is on the item user desired. No : the data change is NOT saved and th...

Merging folders in WLM
In OE and Windows Mail all messages went into the Inbox, no matter how many email addresses I had. In WLM they all go into separate folders. I'd like to have things back the way they were. How can I do this? Thanks Sorry, that's the way Windows Live Mail works. You can simulate the older mail client behavior by collapsing all the accounts to one line each, then do all your viewing via Quick View folders, which can be customized quite a bit. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "RobJenk" <...

sales line item workflow and process holds and requested ship date
It would be nice if we could set up workflow tracking per line item as well as assign process holds per line item in Sales Trx Entry. It would also be nice to have the abilility to fulfill all items on an order through a specified requested ship date and leave items with future requested ship dates unfulfilled. Then to be able to transfer and ship items that have been fulfilled without having to fulfill those with future requested ship dates. Right now I have to backorder those items that have future requested ship dates just so I can transfer and fulfill the other items on the order...

Public folders in OWA #2
I had a problem earlier this week with getting OWA to work, finally got it working, when i added the defualt app under IIS. But when it comes up now if you go to public folders it shows it as a Directory rather than the normal outlook contacts look....you can browse it all the way to the contact, like this: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:51 AM 893 Bob Ponder.EML Any ideas? Sounds like you modified something in IIS Admin, then had those settings propagate down to the Public vdir. The only way I've ever been able to fix the view problem you are mentioning is to reinstall...

Transfering Outlook Calendar, Contacts and IMAP-folders to Live Ma
I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Ulf Eriksson wrote: > I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. > Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP > folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live > Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Download and install the trial version of Office 2007....

Receivables Management Aged Trial Balance by Item
Customer needs the ability to run the Receivables Aged Trial Balance report by Inventory Item. Currently there is no way to link the Item Number from the SOP30300 table to the RM Aging Report. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/B...

Customizing menu item names, form names etc.?
Hi all, Is there any way to customize the names of forms - for example if I want to call an "account" a "business partner" and modify it in the menu items and form/view names as well, can I do it? Thanks in advance, -- Anurag ...

Exchange restore #3
Hello friends, I had to restore some lost public folders so I have setup an offline exchange 5.5 server that is similar to the production exchange server server and restored the directory and information store from backup tapes, but now I cannot launch the exchange admin, I get an error message saying that I don't have access rights, when I tried to start information store I get 4021 error code. Please help. Thanks. Don't restore the Directory unless you have a trust to the production domain. If you don't setup the trust you will want to remove / install Exchange again and the...

having every deleted items folder empty on exit
Hi. I have outlook 2003 set up so that my deleted items folder in my default personal folders empties when I exit. At the same time, my wife has a personal folder set up that has a deleted items folder in it as well. However, this one does not empty automatically as the default deleted items folder does upon exit. Is there any way to change this so all deleted items folders empty when I exit? Thanks for any help. No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Othe...

Excel should have a "Change Case..." menu Item like Word!!
See the subject, I know you can set up a formula to do it I want a button! PLEASE, for years I've just wanted to change case on the fly, YEARS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=3c7554c...

releasing shared folder from read only..
X-No-Archive: yes I've got a simple network, 3 computers + 2 wireless, all XP Pro. Have A folder called *work* set up on one computer which I can see, open and open files inside from any computer on the network. I cannot save back to the folder because it tells me it is 'read only' ..............which it is! I've disabled simple file sharing and set the folder to full control, (it's shared, obviously) and each time I unclick the read only radio button in the properties tab for the folder, click apply, exit and re-enter the folder, the read only radio butt...

Cannot access Public Folders via ESM
Hello, I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same problem if I try it from the exchange server, or remote. It just hangs, no error message. I or the users don’t have a problem connecting from outlook. I’m using exchange 2003 on wind server 2003 sp1 Thanks Try restarting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. "Marsel" <Marsel @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EBCE555-FCDD-4304-B2C4-F82E5DD1690E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same &g...

Grouping the scanned item quantity.
On POS screen of RMS 2.0, how can 2 identical items scanned separately display the qty of 2 in a single item, not as 2 separate items. Or if it's easier, the recipt prints out in group is fine too. Thank you in advance for your help. Either way this would require customization. If you are interested please contact me for an estimate. -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Retail Information Technology Enterprises 320-230-2288 rsakry@rite.us www.rite.us "FLASH" <FLASH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E0653F8-1A8C-4D02-8E19-1575E9D01D0F@microsoft.co...

MF_GRAYED for menu items (run time)
HI. I would like to enable and able some of my menu items in run time. Here is the code I have been writing, but it seems not to work, as nothing is gonna happen: BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CTestGLApp, CWinApp) //... ON_COMMAND(ID_REMOVE, OnRemoveData) //... END_MESSAGE_MAP() void CTestGLApp::OnRemoveData () { CSelectDlg SelectDlg; SelectDlg.DoModal(); MyGlobDat.erase(MyGlobDat.begin() + SelectDlg.GetIndex()); if(!MyGlobDat.size()) { CWnd *wind; wind = AfxGetMainWnd(); CMenu *menu = wind->GetMenu(); menu->EnableMenuItem(ID_REMOVE,MF_GRAYED); } } Thanks a lot for your help! ...

sum values from the same item in a single column?
Hi, I have a query to get a table like this: Item Num Values A 1 10 A 2 22 A 3 78 B 1 32 B 2 40 B 3 87 C 1 34 C 2 76 C 3 98 actually each "Item" has more than a thousand of "Num". how to sum all "Item" (A+B+C) at each "Num"? Like: Num Sum 1 76 2 138 3 263 Thanks! pemt pemt, Have a look at Crosstab queries under Help, that should give you what you...

Discrepancy with report and x/z tape for weighted items
We sell chocolates by weight at one of our stores and we have found that there is a rounding issue with this item, it processes correctly but at the time of closing the sales amounts on the x/z report do not match, it is usually a penny different but because of this the batch won't integrate to our accounting software (Great Plains). Does anyone know how to fix this problem? ...

Lost folder #3
All my folders are gone. In outlook express i had a folder right after my drafts it's now gone. How can i find this? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us...

Problems replication Public Folders
Hi, I have two Exchange Servers with Public Folders, they are replicating. I want to disconnect one of them for ever. My question is, what happend with the folders? All information are in the two server duplicated? I'm not going to loose any information. Thanks for all, I'm begginer in Exchange Server Mauricio Campos You need to make sure that you follow Microsoft's removal instructions before you just take an Exchange server offline. You will cause hell for yourself if you dont. See these Microsoft Docs. 235396 XADM: How to Determine the First Exchange Server Computer ...

2 Personal folders??
Hi. I've just pasted my saved PST file into a newly formatted and newly installed Outlook 2003. Copied it into Me>local settings>application data>Microsoft>Outlook The trouble is, on opening Outlook, I now have 2 Personal folders, they are identical. All my stuff is there but twice. Could you please tell me how I can get rid of one Thank you Hi JB, maybe you have a Ghost PST file: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Outlook Groupware without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronization for laptops: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware....

Startup other user's folder
I have created an e-mail address with my company that about 400 people will need to access to sift through and work items accordingly... I was wondering if there was an easy way (possibly using command line options) to load a specific users folder? outlook /??? "foldername" (inbox) Thankyou very much for your help! Matthew ...

Exchange 5.5 public folders not being seen in Exchange 2003 GAL
We have an issue where some of our Exchange 5.5 public folders cannot be seen in the Global Address List by the staff who are using Exchange 2003. We have tried adding permissions to the public folders for the staff who need to send to them, but that has made no difference. The folders also cannot be seen in the public folder hierarchy. Any advice appreciated. swingman100@hotmail.com (swingman) wrote: >We have an issue where some of our Exchange 5.5 public folders cannot >be seen in the Global Address List by the staff who are using Exchange >2003. We have tried adding permissio...

Choosing multiple items in a drop down list
Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those groups? Thanks for the help, Shad Not directly. You would have to write a macro to do so what some people do is to have several drop downs to cover the number of things The want to have. there are other ways to handle the situation also. depanding on what you want and need to do. The type of macro would depend how many itemsd you want to be abl...

"deleted items" queue filling up
I'm running a pure Exchange 2003 environment. I just noticed in one of our SMTP gateway servers (front-end) a queue called "deleted objects". It's filling up with messages that i know should be deliverable. What would cause this, and more importantly, how do clear it out and deliver the messages?? Thanks in advance. I think i might know the answer now, but i'd appreciate confirmation from an MVP if possible.. Apparently another admin had moved all of the distribution lists from the "users" folder in AD Users and Computers to a newly created OU of...

public folder deleted item recovery
I have public folders set up in Exchange 5.5 with a 3 day deleted item retention time for public folder contents. What actually causes a message to show up in the "recover deleted items" option? Obviously when a message is deleted from that folder, but are there any other reasons why a message would appear in the "recover deleted items" option? No. Only way to allow messages to show up is set Deleted Item Retention. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "cglady2000" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Outlook 2003: Message Box Appears: "Can't open this item. Out of memory or system resources. Close some or programs and try again"
I had a problem, found the solution, and thought I'd post my findings instead of being simply greedy and moving on my way. :) Problem: When running Outlook 2003, I'm was receiving a message box (pop up window) when trying to open any email or item: "Can't open this item. Out of memory or system resources. Close some or programs and try again." Solution: Apparently, this catch all message appears for a host of reasons, and it appears to be a message that's been around for a loong time based on returns from Yahoo! searches. So no one person's solution applies to...