Restore mailboxes to another Exchange 2003 server

I have a single domain with two sites, one for the main office and one for
the remote office.  Each site has domain controllers, Global Catalog, and DNS
servers.  I put one Exchange server in each site.  The users in each office
only use the Exchange server on site.  If in a case our main office is
totally gone, is there a way I can restore the mailboxes for the main office
users from the backup tapes to the Exchange server in the remote office?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
--
Yi
0

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:38:09 -0800, "Yi"
<Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a single domain with two sites, one for the main office and one for
>the remote office.  Each site has domain controllers, Global Catalog, and DNS
>servers.  I put one Exchange server in each site.  The users in each office
>only use the Exchange server on site.  If in a case our main office is
>totally gone, is there a way I can restore the mailboxes for the main office
>users from the backup tapes to the Exchange server in the remote office?
>
>Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Sure.

Read this now before it actually happens :)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx

0
adavid (8731)
11/23/2005 4:41:53 PM
Andy,

Thanks for your reply.  Could you give more information on how to exactly do
it?

Regards,

--
Yi

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:38:09 -0800, "Yi"
> <Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a single domain with two sites, one for the main office and one for
> >the remote office.  Each site has domain controllers, Global Catalog, and DNS
> >servers.  I put one Exchange server in each site.  The users in each office
> >only use the Exchange server on site.  If in a case our main office is
> >totally gone, is there a way I can restore the mailboxes for the main office
> >users from the backup tapes to the Exchange server in the remote office?
> >
> >Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
>

> Sure.
>
> Read this now before it actually happens :)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx

0
Yi (5)
11/23/2005 4:57:03 PM
Assuming the ORG, Admin Group, and store names are same - all you do is
RESTORE with backup - HIGH-LEVEL.

"Yi" <Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  Could you give more information on how to exactly
> do
> it?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Yi
>

> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:38:09 -0800, "Yi"
>> <Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a single domain with two sites, one for the main office and one
>> >for
>> >the remote office.  Each site has domain controllers, Global Catalog,
>> >and DNS
>> >servers.  I put one Exchange server in each site.  The users in each
>> >office
>> >only use the Exchange server on site.  If in a case our main office is
>> >totally gone, is there a way I can restore the mailboxes for the main
>> >office
>> >users from the backup tapes to the Exchange server in the remote office?
>> >
>> >Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
>>

>> Sure.
>>
>> Read this now before it actually happens :)
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx

0
alan.wen (1)
11/23/2005 5:26:38 PM
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:57:03 -0800, "Yi"
<Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Andy,
>
>Thanks for your reply.  Could you give more information on how to exactly do
>it?
>
>Regards,

Here is a link to the step by step.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx

One thing to note:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555469&sd=rss&spid=1773
"Transaction Logs do not replay after a redirected online restore"

0
adavid (8731)

Exchange 2007
I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of our two SmartHosts. I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason. When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional SmartHosts on the Network tab. To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost? Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost. Thanks Ron On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans <GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an Exch...

Restoring Exchange 2003 Cluster to single server ????
We are testing Exchange 2003 in a disaser recovery test. Our live system runs 2 node Exchange 2003 cluster. We are planning a recovery to a single Exchange 2003 server with same name as the Exchange 2003 cluster in a test environment from tape backup. Has anybody every tried this befoe or can this be done ?? Help on this is much appreciated Hello, This is perfectly possible, since you're only restoring the database files. Just make sure that the name of the organization, name of the administrative group, logical names of the storage group and stores are identical to the ones used in y...

Using exchange server 2003 as an smtp server outside of the domain
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to setup exchange server as an smtp server so that I can use it to send mail from outside of its domain environment. basically i want to be able to send email from any computer not on the domain by using mail.mydomain.com . I'm not sure if the issue is actually related to something on exchange server 2003, or if it's DNS related issue. we do use OWA so wthat when we type in a web browser mail.mydomain.com it takes us to OWA. Right now if I try setting up a POP3 Account in Outlook and use mail.mydomain.com for incoming and SMTP servers it err...

Calling a module from another module
Hi, I found this macro to reset the last cell from an Excel forum: Sub ResetLastCell() ' http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=xlw2K ' Save the lastcell and start there. Set lastcell = Cells.SpecialCells(xlLastCell) ' Set the rowstep and column steps so that it can move toward ' cell A1. rowstep = -1 colstep = -1 ' Loop while it can still move. While (rowstep + colstep <> 0) And (lastcell.Address <> "$A$1") ' Test to see if the current column has any data in any cells. If Appli...

Publisher 2003 Stlyes and Formatting
why does a selected Style revert to a default font after I close and then reopen my document? No, if you answer Yes that you want to save the changes. "janep" <janep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9242DFAB-5D9C-40C5-A8C1-8D339FCB2786@microsoft.com... > why does a selected Style revert to a default font after I close and then > reopen my document? > ...

Exchange problems after reboot
Hello! I'm having trouble with Exchange 2003 (Ex2003 SP2 running on Windows Server 2003 SP). Every time after reboot Exchange don't start correctly. I have a "8231 MSExchangeAL" and "8247 MSExchangeAL" errors in application log. Also the Exchange Information Store fails during startup and the Exchante MTA Stacks too. After reboot when I log on to server I can start those two services manualy and everything runs fine, so I'm little (or much) confused. I didn't have problems with reboots before. I have checked KB 27529, KB 286356 and few others and ...

Child domain users and Parent domain Exchange
I am feeling pretty lame right about now.... Can Child Domain users use Exchange in the Parent domain? IF so, how? If not, do I need to install exchange in the child domains too? What would be the best way to do it? On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:29:51 -0800, "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAM.GOAWAY.ArborMed.com> wrote: >I should add that there's a VPN connecting the two domains. domain.com >and child.domain.com Run domainprep in the child domain. Set up Domain RUS pointing at a local DC in that domain. > > >"Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPA...

"ch" in XP Word 2003?
Using Word 2003 in XP Pro Sp3. Formatting paragraphs includes setting of line starts and separations (vertical). All page settings are in mm, but in Formatting, they read in values which likely seems to be in inches, followed by "ch"! My question is: What does this "ch" mean? And secondly, how can I get changes written in mm to remain in mm? They seem to always change back into an inchlike measure followed by "ch". gasman See http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Al...

Dynamics CRM 4 without Exchange but with Lotus Domino
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if in Dynamics CRM v4 you need exchange to route the incoming mail to the queues, because I have heard that in version 4 you don't need to have exchange server. We have Lotus Domino as email server and we'd like to get the incoming mail via E-mail Router Configuration Mnager in Dynamics CRM v4. I don't know if these steps are correct: 1. Create two profiles (one for incoming mails and one for outgoing mails) 2. Create a new deployment to connect with dynamics CRM server. 3. Load Data. 4. Modify the incoming or outgoing profile for a user or que...

money 2003 will not open
I am trying to install money 2003 on a dell 933 desktop. I can get every other program in the works programs to work, (encarta, word etc but not money - it keeps getting that error report message and then if I try to start it it still gives me the error report-i have unloaded and reloaded several times-I have run regclean, regvac system mechanic etc to no avail. pleas help gary the error signature is AppVer 11.0.0.716 ModName:kernel32.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.2180 Offset:0001eb33 I found the answer to my question - it was a registry problem that required me to run : regsvr32 c:\wind...

[Win7 x64] Move partition C to another drive
Hi. I have Windows 7 installed on a primary 1/3 partition of a 300Gb SATA hard drive. The other 2/3 is are logical partitions of 100Gb each. Needless to say, I am running out of room on drive C and also want to have my OS on my biggest and fastest hard drive that I have. In the system is another 1Tb SATA drive broken into 4 250Gb primary partitions for storage. I just put in another 1Tb drive last night, broke it into 4 primary partitions of 250Gb each, and gave it drive letters of L, M, N, & O. Because of this and my mounted shares, I am running out of drive letters and cann...

Mailbox size does not decrease after PST archive
I have a user that has recently archived his mail. A week later, he was hitting his mail cap from Exchange. This is an Exchange Server 2003 SP2 box. I always understood that if you used the archive function in Outlook, then it would reduce the Exchange mailbox size, but it is not happening in the case of this user. Not sure of the answer to this or what may be the cause, but I thought I would see if anyone else had the issue. Thanks. On 25 Jan 2007 14:01:21 -0800, tballfst@gmail.com wrote: >I have a user that has recently archived his mail. A week later, he >was hitting his mail...

Exchange 2003
Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 SP2 This is a very strange problem. I have one user who turns on his out of office assistant and the out of office messages are not sent internally or externally. All other users use out of office and the messages are sent properly both internally and externally. I have the option configured to allow this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262352). I can't for the life of me figure out why this one user is having this problem. Everything appears to be configured for that user exactly the same as all the other users who ar...

Bug in excel 2003
Hi, I'm trying to get an equation of a table of data. When I enter the data, make a graph of it, I get a nice sinus-kind-of-line. Therefor I would like to have fourth order equation. The line of data looks very good (125 data points). Then I add a trendline (4th order) that looks like a very nice fit. But when I set the properties of the trendline to "show equation in graph" the a wrong equation is displayed. After a lot of fiddling with data, I noticed that the shown equation has wrong contstands showing. E.g.: The shown eqaution = A + B*X + C*X^2 + D*X^3 + E*X^4 In fact ...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Includes April Rollup Fixes?
Can I assume this is the case? ...

Please help me: Refresh pivot table using another source file.
My supervisor put an interactive spreadsheet (or pivot table) on the web. Now he wants me to make changes to the spreadsheet so that when you click "Refresh" on the website, this spreadsheet gets new data from me rather than from my supervisor. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. ...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell it gets deselected
While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 seconds, that particular cell gets deselected followed by the workbook. So each time I need to click either the cell or workbook to enter data in that particular sheet. There could be event code that is being fired. Does this happen if you open the workbook with macros disabled? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "towinwin" <towinwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7B87AFB-27AC-4235-9AE3-5E7A46310AF8@microsoft.com... > While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 se...

MS Exchange Server Unavailable
I have multiple users who start Outlook 2000 and they get the message " Exchange Server is Unavailable...." With the options to Retry or Work Offline. They are all connected to our network and when they select retry, Outlook immediately opens. I have searched and searched and I have mot been able to find any references to this problem. Any assistance would be appreciated. Dave Sounds like a name resolution problem. Make sure your internal DNS is working properly. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable t...

Exchange 5.5 ims connector
My Exchange 5.5 IMS connector queue shows messages that have <> as originator and also shows email with valid user account in this manner <user name>. My question is the emails <user name> valid emails from exchange users. ray3d84 I don't know just based on that but you could check the actual email message in \imcdata\out and pull up the appropriate message in notepad. ...

Money 2003 #43
I have installed Money 2003 after having used Money 99 for three years. I use Money to print my checks each month. Now with 2003, I get no highlighted "print checks" icon, so, printing is impossible. I've tried reinstalling Money 2003, but it still doesn't work, and I can't get 2003 off my computer. What to do? John See if http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=91 helps. "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a5c01c48e9c$6966e590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed Money 2003 after having used Money 99 > for three y...

Exchange design
Please help with following scenario Set up: Company has a nation-wide Sendmail server that only does POP3 for every branch office in the nation, domain is us.company.com. One branch office decides to deploy SBS/Exchange internally for that office. Problem: internal domain is company.local, recipient policy has us.company.com for mail delivery. Everytime an employee from that office tries to email someone else who is outside of that office that piece of mail gets dropped (because AD user does not exist and because Exchange now handles us.company.com) How would I be able to make it so th...

Subject Line in Outlook 2003
In my OL2003 the middle pane of the main view shows my Inbox where all messages are listed. It shows the sender, the time when the message was received and the file size. How can I customize this to include the subject line as well? Thanks Sitara If you use right click on Arranged By, what do you show as the active view? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no ans...

Outlook 2003 #141
I am using outlook 2003 at home to access my Pop3 mail account with Southwestern Bell. The issue I am having is that whenever I hit the send and receive button it continually pops with a logon information box. I can click ok past this and watch the send and receive progress in the lower left corner. It will go a few more % then the box pops up again and again until it finally finishes the send/receive. It will then have an error that my username and password maybe wrong. I have confirmed with SBC that everything on my end is correct. I can log onto there website and retrieve my...

UK -> CANADA / Money 2001 -> 2003
Hi, I am running the UK version of Money 2001 small business on my pc and would like to keep maintainnig my UK business and private records in this. I have recently moved to Canada and would like to start using Money for my Canadian affairs, this ofcourse is not possible in the UK version so I will need to aquire a Canadian version of Money 2003 for this purpose. Question : Can the Money 2001 UK version co-exist with the Money 2003 Canadian version, without creating conflicts with files etc. ?? Thanks Richard ...