Restore Mailbox for Comparison

I have exchange 2003 on win2k3 and have an employee who left the company.  It
is thought that emails were deleted from the mailbox.  I tried the "recover
deleted items" but there was nothing there.  I think this person knew a bit
too much.  I have monthly backups of the exchange server.  The users mailbox
has not been deleted and is still active. I would like to keep the mailbox
and restore one of the old backup mailbox to compare what was deleted.  Is
there a way to do this.  Thx

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:56:02 -0700, Harry Piedra
<HarryPiedra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have exchange 2003 on win2k3 and have an employee who left the company.  It
>is thought that emails were deleted from the mailbox.  I tried the "recover
>deleted items" but there was nothing there.  I think this person knew a bit
>too much.  I have monthly backups of the exchange server.  The users mailbox
>has not been deleted and is still active. I would like to keep the mailbox
>and restore one of the old backup mailbox to compare what was deleted.  Is
>there a way to do this.  Thx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;824126
"How to use Recovery Storage Groups in Exchange Server 2003"
0
adavid (8731)

HELP: Outlook 2002 = doesn't chk all mailboxes consistently
I have 4 email accounts that Outlook 2k2 is supposed to check. When I send/receive it only checks the last 2 like 1 out of 10 times. Any ideas why? It simply checks the first 2 then skips the rest! Thanks. What patch level is Office XP at? How do you have the intervals set for checking mail? Try setting the interval to 10 minutes and see if that helps. Also, what types of accounts are the 4? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: VB Programmer <RobertNZana*NoSpam-Pl...

Running The Full Mailbox Access script in the DST Calendar update package...
Hi, I have a list of users on an exchange server, in legacyDN Format, like this: /O=ORG/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=JUSER I use that list as the input list when I run ] cscript grantmailboxpermission.vbs -add domain\domainuser users.txt However, I get all errors (!!!!) when I do this. I am running this from a command line on the exchange server itself. The error log says: Failed to add FullMailbox Access: LDAP://CN=User\, Joe,OU=Normal Users,OU=Users,OU=SDXP,OU=All,DC=firm,DC=local Error: The security ID structure is invalid. Does the fact that we are using...

Can anyone recommend any third party tools for users to manage their Mailbox size?
Hi, My manager is looking for a third party piece of software, which will allow users to specifically manage and monitor their mailbox sizes. Users should get a breakdown (down to the individual email level), of what is taking up space, and have options to do something about it (archive \ delete etc.). Does anyone know of anything like this for users (as opposed to the Exchange administrator)? Cheers You can check the size of your mailbox and the size of folders in the properties of Outlook Today. You can also change your view of emails to include the size of each email. You can arrange...

Database Unit Testing Comparison?
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes... I have a Visual Studio 2008 GDR Database Unit Test (Data Dude) with some TSQL that calls a sproc. I then have a single select statement that produces a 1-row result set with 2 columns. I want to pass the test if the values are equal and fail if it is not equal. I do not understand how to config/code this, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. > I have a Visual Studio 2008 GDR Database Unit Test (Data Dude) with > some TSQL that calls a sproc. I then have a single select statement > that produce...

Delete a specific folder from all users' mailboxes
Exchange 2003 SP2 We have a legacy folder hanging around that McAfee created in each users' mailbox. I want to delete the folder from everyone's mailbox. Is there a way to do that without going into each individual mailbox? Thanks for your help! Steven Shock The only way I know of to do this would be to write a script that opens each mailbox and deletes the folder if it exists. Sort of a pain but it shouldn't be a very complex script. - Peter "Steven Shock" wrote: > Exchange 2003 SP2 > > We have a legacy folder hanging around that McAfee created in...

strange!!! mailbox storage error
Hi there, i am having: win2000 sp4 + exch 2000 sp3 when i check: Exchange System Manager > Servers > serverZZZ > First Storage Group > Mailboxes UserAAA size: 24,658KB Total items: 185 However, when i check with OWA for that account, there is NO mails, no items in all folders. including deleted items, and recycle bin was made empty again and again. Still, it show about 25MB storage in that account. Any one got a fix for that? Thanks in advance! SmileS "Smiles" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message news:uMcbwkLSGHA.4168@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #2
I'm using SBS Exchange Server 2003 SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it doesn't create the Exchange Mailbox. I can right-click and use Exchange Tasks to Recreate/Delete the mailbox and everything says it's "Ok", yet there is no mailbox found in the store. I get this even when I reboot the server and send an email to the new address. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

database restore
How can I simply do a database restore from a backup (.bck file) in RMS Admin? -- Scott This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_051A_01C70A48.42C79E50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Scott, Database | delete (be real sure you really want to do this) | select the = existing that you want to restore | Database | Restore | name it as the = old one | Next | point to your backup .bck file by clicking on the = magnifying glass --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

moving mailboxes between sites
Is there a way to move mailboxes between sites? We have a few eployees that have transferred and we need to move them to a different server in a different site. We have been creating a PST file and then deleting their account, re-creating it on the new server and then importing their PST file. This is pretty time consuming. We can move mailboxes between two servers in the same site, so is there a way to do it to servers in a different site? Currently, the way you're doing it is the way it's done. When you upgrade to 2003, that restriction goes away since there are no more E...

re-enabled user cannot acces mailbox
I have re-enabled a user, logged them into a pc, but we cannot access his mailbox by either outlook2003 or owa. What have did i miss? tia How long did you wait? Possibly AD replication issues. Give it some time. James Chong MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com Randy H wrote: > I have re-enabled a user, logged them into a pc, but we cannot access his > mailbox by either outlook2003 or owa. > > What have did i miss? > > > > tia grrr, I thought I waited long enough, guess I didn't. Working now.... thanks. <jamestechman@gmail...

Additional Mailbox
i have the following code which will let me "use" the default mailbox in my outlook client $olFolderInbox = 6 $outlook = new-object -com outlook.application; $ns = $outlook.GetNameSpace("MAPI"); $inbox = $ns.GetDefaultFolder($olFolderInbox) after this it reads through each email and if the subject matches a criteria and unRead=True then it writes out to screen my problem is I have another shared/group mailbox that we call "Notices" and the script needs to go through the "Notices" mailbox instead, i have spent this afternoon trying to ...

migrating mailboxes to a new server
hello, this is my first post on this NG so be patient with me. I have an old server with windows 2000 server and Exchange server, this machine acts as domain controller and has also ISA server installed. I've planned to buy a newer machine to replace the old server, so I need to migrate all the application and their data on the new server. I know how to migrate Active directory but I don't know how to transfer the Exchange server mailboxes into the new server, please help Short answer: install the new Exchange server into this existing organisation, which allows you to seamlessly ...

Disable user.....leave existing mailbox available to others
I'm new to user admin functions on Exchange Server 2000. I have a user leaving and need to disable the mailbox and ensure the user's existing mailbox is still available to other remaining users. Can someone list the required steps in detail so I can ensure this is done correctly. thanks JJ You can delete the user. In exchange 2000 system manager locate the mailbox right click on it and choose reconect, now you can reconnect the mailbox on a new user. If more than one user need aces to the mail box you can do this whit the usermanager right click teh user and choose mailboxright...

Messages apparently delivered to wrong users mailbox
I'm stumped on this one. I user received a message that was to another user (a spam message actually) but when I look at the headers on both messages, I can't figure out why it ended up in the non addressed to users mailbox. If it was a BCC or something I would expect the headers to have the address of the mistaken user in there copy somewhere. Message tracking shows that the message was delivered to both recipients, and that it was to both of them too... Can anyone educate me as to what is going on here? Thanks One of the recipients was a BCC. Please do yourself a favor and rea...

creating mailboxes??
We are no longer able to create mailboxes when adding new users. We are able to copy the template account and everything works great(home directory, logon scripts, groups) except the email account is not created for the new user. The only thing that has changed is that we renamed the administrator account. This did work prior to the renaming of the admin account. I am not sure that it's related... When you compair the mailbox permissions of a "old" (good) account vs the "new" (bad) account is that the new account only has "self" added where the rest...

problems with 2003 cached mode after moving mailboxes to ES2003 and then back to ES2000
I reported this in the Excahnge group as well and had some feedback. Possibly an OL issue. We are in the process of migrating from Exchange 2000 to ES 2003 on a spearate server. The ES 2003 server was built and we moved a few test users mailboxes to the new server. They all moved successfully. After the move we discovered that OWA was not working properly for those users and so we decided to move them back to the old server. Again, they moved back successfully, but now there are missing messages in Outlook (also 2003). I have run the OST integrity checker and it acklnowledges there are many m...

Restoring Outlook Backup
I recently needed to format my hard drive and re-install Windows XP. Before I peformed the format I backup my messages and addresses from Outlook to another hard drive on my computer. I have re-installed Windows XP and Office XP and would like to restore my messages and addresses to Outlook. What is the proper procedure to perform this restore? I performed the backup by using the Export function in Outlook. I have tried to import the data but have not been able to recover the data. Any Suggestions "Somewhat of a novice on Outlook functions" Importing and exporting is deci...

Moving Mailboxes to Additional Exchange Server
We are having a problem moving our individual mailboxes to an additional Exchange server. We have to move every single piece of mail and move it to one folder in another Exchange server, so some people can search through it after it is indexed. I can not take any ideas on a better way to do this, because our CTO decided this is how we have to do it. The process now is using EXMerge to export the individual user mailboxes, then some renaming process of the PST and then import the PST into the second Exchange server. We rename the PST because it imports directly into the same folder as a...

Cannot move mailbox between routing groups
Hi Im in the process of upgrading from exchange 5.5 to 2003. I was previously able to move mailboxes between all my 2003 routing groups. I have installed a new server in a new routing group and removed one of my old 5.5 servers. Scince this work, I am unable to move mailboxes between 2003 routing groups. The wizard only gives me the opting to move the mailbox to the old 5.5 server in each routing group. As I said, I was able to see all servers in all routing groups before. Any ideas? Thanks Is Exchange 2003 SP1 installed on the new server? "John Scrooby" <John@espotti...

Inner email was sent to my outer mailbox
A very strange case occurred. One of my coworkers send a inner email by outlook. But the mail was sent to my outer mailbox which has nothing to do with my inner emailbox. what's wrong? "creative" <creativebyte@hotmail.com> wrote: >A very strange case occurred. >One of my coworkers send a inner email by outlook. > >But the mail was sent to my outer mailbox which has nothing to do with my >inner emailbox. > >what's wrong? Inner? Outer? If "outer" means "at an ISP" then either the mail was sent to that address or you have a...

Backup and restore questions
I have two user accounts on my computer. My administrator account that I very rarely ever use, and my normal, general user account I named "Bob1". I use Vista Windows Mail as my email application. I just searched and found the "hidden" folder where my Windows Mail stuff is (C:\Users\Bob1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\ Local Folders & Microsoft Communities & Compact & Backup) I save everything to my Bob1 user account to the appropriate folder (Documents in documents folder, pictures into pictures folder, etc.) I never vary from this habi...

mailbox sync
In a certain (long duration) migration traject, they wish to synchronize the contents of resource mailboxes that exist in two different organizations: one exchange 2000 (source) and one exchange 2003 (target). So any change made to a mailbox in the first org must be replicated to the other and vice versa. Tools (like from quest) will do the job only one-way (source-destiny) Using the Exchange WSS coul that be a possible solution? Could a very rude solution be to map a drive to the webstorage and use something like robocopy or so? Sounds terrible to me though:-), we are talking of about 400 ...

how to restore the unread folder
I del the unread folder in my favorites folders how do I get that back?????? Expand the Search folders at the bottom of the list. If the Unread folder is list, just drag it up. If not, right click on the search folder and choose new search folder. Select unread from the list of predefined folders then drag it to Favorites. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Ex...

Workflows Exports and Restoring
Hi, We are still working in a test environment. We have created some Workflow Rules and Sales Processes. They have also been applied to some leads and opportunities in this test database. These records are not being back up. Some are partway through a sales process. We are going to need to do another full migration of all the data from Goldmine into CRM. Will it affect the Workflows? We have exported them, as a saftey precausion, as backup, but will we have to import them back in? I hope this makes sense. Also, as another question, we are also importing in some new opportunities, ...

Moving Mailboxes Problem Excahnge 2010
I am not able to move certain mailboxes to our new exchange 2010 server. I get the error message: Error: Active Directory operation failed on {Domain Controller Name}. This error is not retriable. Additional information: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation. Active directory response: 00002098: SecErr: DSID-03150E8A, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0 The user has insufficient access rights. I even tried using the main Domain Admin account and it still will not move the box. I have to go in manually and cancel the request. I have receiced thi...