I've got

- Windows NT 4 Server SP6
- Exchange 5.5 SP3
- ArcServeIT 6.61 with Exchange Agent

I'm trying to restore the Exchange information (database, mailbox...
everything) on another computer.

That computer has

- Windows 2000 Server SP4
- Exchange 2000
- Brighstore ArcServe 9 (build 2020) with Exchange Agent

-------------------

Now the situation: I need to verify that the backup was made correctly
(entirely) in order to confirm the total validity of the backup (to validate
my disaster recovery plan) and to update to SP4.

I tried to find documentation with both Microsoft (for Exchange) and CA (for
ArcServe) on how to do a complete restore but I couldn't find a complete
documentation on what I have to do in my particular situation... only bits
and pieces.  I can't even find out if I can do a restore on the Windows 2000
computer (I guess I could because there is an option for "Exchange 5.5
Administrator" and one for "Migration Wizard").

If you tell me that it's impossible, I'll try to restore my Exchange on
another computer that has the same setup as my NT 4.

Thanks for you insights

Mathieu

0
sdfdas (22)

Are you serious?

If this 'restore' is for disaster recovery purposes I
would suggest that everything on the target/recovery
server be kept the same... OS, Exchange version, Arcserve
version, names (server, Org, Site)... domain membership,
service packs etc...

There's some instructions for restoring an Arcserve online
backup to a recovery server here, if that's all you're
really needing to do...

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/disaster_recovery/ind
ex.html

0
anonymous (74722)
1/7/2004 5:20:34 PM
You can restore Exchange 5.5 databases only to Exchange 5.5 installation (with
the same SP level).

Mathieu wrote:

> I've got
>
> - Windows NT 4 Server SP6
> - Exchange 5.5 SP3
> - ArcServeIT 6.61 with Exchange Agent
>
> I'm trying to restore the Exchange information (database, mailbox...
> everything) on another computer.
>
> That computer has
>
> - Windows 2000 Server SP4
> - Exchange 2000
> - Brighstore ArcServe 9 (build 2020) with Exchange Agent
>
> -------------------
>
> Now the situation: I need to verify that the backup was made correctly
> (entirely) in order to confirm the total validity of the backup (to validate
> my disaster recovery plan) and to update to SP4.
>
> I tried to find documentation with both Microsoft (for Exchange) and CA (for
> ArcServe) on how to do a complete restore but I couldn't find a complete
> documentation on what I have to do in my particular situation... only bits
> and pieces.  I can't even find out if I can do a restore on the Windows 2000
> computer (I guess I could because there is an option for "Exchange 5.5
> Administrator" and one for "Migration Wizard").
>
> If you tell me that it's impossible, I'll try to restore my Exchange on
> another computer that has the same setup as my NT 4.
>
> Thanks for you insights
>
> Mathieu

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
1/8/2004 1:02:19 PM
Interesting about the SP level... is it a general practice on the windows
platform (not only with Exchange 5.5)

Kirill S. Palagin <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> You can restore Exchange 5.5 databases only to Exchange 5.5 installation
(with
> the same SP level).
>
> Mathieu wrote:
>
> > I've got
> >
> > - Windows NT 4 Server SP6
> > - Exchange 5.5 SP3
> > - ArcServeIT 6.61 with Exchange Agent
> >
> > I'm trying to restore the Exchange information (database, mailbox...
> > everything) on another computer.
> >
> > That computer has
> >
> > - Windows 2000 Server SP4
> > - Exchange 2000
> > - Brighstore ArcServe 9 (build 2020) with Exchange Agent
> >
> > -------------------
> >
> > Now the situation: I need to verify that the backup was made correctly
> > (entirely) in order to confirm the total validity of the backup (to
validate
> > my disaster recovery plan) and to update to SP4.
> >
> > I tried to find documentation with both Microsoft (for Exchange) and CA
(for
> > ArcServe) on how to do a complete restore but I couldn't find a complete
> > documentation on what I have to do in my particular situation... only
bits
> > and pieces.  I can't even find out if I can do a restore on the Windows
2000
> > computer (I guess I could because there is an option for "Exchange 5.5
> > Administrator" and one for "Migration Wizard").
> >
> > If you tell me that it's impossible, I'll try to restore my Exchange on
> > another computer that has the same setup as my NT 4.
> >
> > Thanks for you insights
> >
> > Mathieu

0
sdfdas (22)
1/8/2004 5:53:19 PM
Windows SP level (or version for that matter) is not important if you restore
just Exchange databases. Exchange version and SP level should be the same.

Mathieu wrote:

> Interesting about the SP level... is it a general practice on the windows
> platform (not only with Exchange 5.5)
>
> Kirill S. Palagin <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> > You can restore Exchange 5.5 databases only to Exchange 5.5 installation
> (with
> > the same SP level).
> >
> > Mathieu wrote:
> >
> > > I've got
> > >
> > > - Windows NT 4 Server SP6
> > > - Exchange 5.5 SP3
> > > - ArcServeIT 6.61 with Exchange Agent
> > >
> > > I'm trying to restore the Exchange information (database, mailbox...
> > > everything) on another computer.
> > >
> > > That computer has
> > >
> > > - Windows 2000 Server SP4
> > > - Exchange 2000
> > > - Brighstore ArcServe 9 (build 2020) with Exchange Agent
> > >
> > > -------------------
> > >
> > > Now the situation: I need to verify that the backup was made correctly
> > > (entirely) in order to confirm the total validity of the backup (to
> validate
> > > my disaster recovery plan) and to update to SP4.
> > >
> > > I tried to find documentation with both Microsoft (for Exchange) and CA
> (for
> > > ArcServe) on how to do a complete restore but I couldn't find a complete
> > > documentation on what I have to do in my particular situation... only
> bits
> > > and pieces.  I can't even find out if I can do a restore on the Windows
> 2000
> > > computer (I guess I could because there is an option for "Exchange 5.5
> > > Administrator" and one for "Migration Wizard").
> > >
> > > If you tell me that it's impossible, I'll try to restore my Exchange on
> > > another computer that has the same setup as my NT 4.
> > >
> > > Thanks for you insights
> > >
> > > Mathieu

0
kpalagin1 (1216)

My Exchange 5.5 is relaying encapsulated messages HELP!
My Exchange 5.5 server appears to be relaying encapsulated messages. On the "routing" tab of the IMC, I have it set to "re-route SMTP mail..." but on the "routing restrictions" button I have every single item UNCHECKED. Also, I have rebooted the server. I heard that you have to disable encapsulated relaying via the registry, but I can't seem to find the article on Microsoft's site. Can anyone help?? Uncehck re-route SMTP mail. If you have POP or IMAP users who need an SMTP IMC to relay mail, for their use install an IMC on a separate Exchagne 5.5 s...

Sumif??? #5
Okay I know now to take to quotes out for the TRUE catagory, but =IF(D22>0,(SUM(EDATE(B22,12))+J22),"N/A") the cell d22 is blank and I am still get the TRUE answer Why isn't excel reading a blank cell as a 0 ??? -- KellyMcG0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KellyMcG03's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1454 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26169 Kelly, you might want to "Post Reply" instead of a "New Post" each time. It will keep eve...

Windowsupdate using Intranet?
Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a small pipe to the internet? Try downloading the Software update services onto one server, use that the install onto PC's etc, using Group Policies cheers >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the >wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a >small pipe to the internet? >. > ...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

using button to clear contents
I have finally found out how to add a button but now I am haveing a problem on having the button clear contents in certain cells does anyone know how to do this thanks for your help I do not know any codes for this I'll bet you could learn very quickly by using the macro recorder while you select some cells and edit>clear>contents. Here is a sample for a button from the Control Toolbox Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.Range("certain cells").ClearContents End Sub "certain cells" would be your range of cells. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

RPC over HTTPS with FE and BE exchange configuration
I have configure both Exchange server to use RPC and have install an SSL cert. The cert is a self sign and I have gone through to add it to a trusted publisher. When I configure my Outlook, I notice that the connection are using TCP\IP instead of using HTTPS. I am not sure why it is doing this but I do get connect to the server. The problem that I see is that we I am outside the firewall, I am not able to connect to. What I do see when I try to connect is sometimes it is trying to connect to the BE exchange server and sometime trying to connect to our AD server. Can anyone help with try...

Add a Second Exchange Server
If I want to install a second exchange 2000 server (or 2003) can I just install it normally and then in the event that we lose our primary server (server A) can I take the most recent clean shutdown edb and stm files and mount them to the second server and then have the clients re-point their profiles to server B? Thanks! Hello, Actually the Active Directory will still have them pointing to the old server. You would have to run exchange tasks and remove exchange attributes and then reconnect them through Exchange System Manager to the mailboxes on the new server. They then would...

Published 2000 pictures make file sizes too big
I have scanned pictures using Microsoft Photo/Draw. The pictures are around 250 KB but when I put them in my Published document, the file grows to 14,000KB. I can't email them or save them on a floppy. How can I get this file size down You may have to convert the file to a pdf format. Publisher just make humongous files. You have several choices when it comes to a pdf converter program from freebees to Adobe Acrobat. The later is on the spendy side and the freebees may disappoint you. My choice after comparing 5 pdf converter programs was PDF-XChange, a very nice commercial produc...

How many actual users in Exchange 2003?
How can I find out how many users I have on Exchange 2003? In 5.5 I could go to the recipients folder in the Exchange Admin program and it would tell me how many. I know that Exchange 2003 uses Active Directory but I still can not find an exact way to tell me how many mailboxes I have. We want to make sure we are not exceeding our license and will buy more if needed. In Exchange System Manager browse down to your Mailbox Store (under your Server object and Storage Group) and go to Mailboxes and see on your right hand side. If you have more than one mailbox store, check each one. --...

Exchange System Manager slow to open
It takes my system manger about 3-5 minutes to open. anyone have any idea why this is so. i have my AD dns entries in my TCP\IP properties. I was able to open this program normally before i did a system reload. now it is super slow. ???? help chris holcombc@mail.ecu.edu ...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Using icon sets with relative references
I am using Excel 2007 in the Vista OS. I am trying to use conditional formatting with an icon set in a column but Excel will not allow relative references. Example: A1=10 min B1=20 max C1=30 oh D1=a formula { =IF(C1=0,B1,(B1-C1)) } The condtional formatting of D1 would be: if the value showing in D1 is >B1 the cell would show a red 'X', if the value showing in D1 is <A1 the cell would show a green 'check mark', and if the value showing in D1 is between the values in A1 and B1 it would show a yellow 'exclamation point'. I can get the D1 ...

Using external email address for AD user
We have certain users that we would like to use an external email address for and give access to resources in the domain. The only solution I have found so far is to create an account they will use for access and then to add a contact so we can send emails and add as a member of DL's. Ideally, I would like to do this without adding 2 separate objects in AD. Is that possible? Hi there, Are you aware that you can create a user and mail-enable them (not mailbox-enable), establishing an external address on the account. It removes the need for both a contact and a user accoun...

Exchange 2000 and VPN
I'm running Windows 2000 Server SP4 and Exchange 2000. I recently installed the latest Exchange SP (I think it was SP3). Since that update, my users are unable to connect to the Exchange Server via a VPN connection. When configuring Outlook 2000/2003 for an Exchange Server, the client indicates that it is unable to connect to the Exchange Server even though all setting within Outlook are correct (they never changed). Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know of a setting within the Exchange Server that may need to be changed? Thanks in advance. ...

exchange 2007 reconnect
Hello UserA wanted UsersB mailbox. diabled both exchange mailbox and then reconnect userB to userA. UsersA is prompted for userB AD login info. the only way around this was to give userA sendas and full rights to the userB mailfile. Is there another way to fix it. ? what will happen when the AD account for userB is deleted for AD? ...

selecting Access 2000 or "Access 2002" with the Convert Database command
I'm getting ready to convert a number of Access 97 mdb files to Access 2002. I'm looking over the instructions for doing this in the "Using MS Access 2002 - Special Edition" written by Roger Jennings. In that book, it says to select Tools - Database Utilities - Convert Database - To Access 2000 file format. Since this book is for Access 2002, I was surprised that it would suggest selecting the 2000 file format instead of 2002. I'm thinking this just a typo - but I thought I'd also check with this newsgroup to see if anyone knows of a reason why someone working in 2...

Exchange RPC over HTTP without a seperate Outlook profile?
I have a 35 user network, with an Exchange machine that is also a DC & Global Catalog. I have another DC/File Server. I have two users with laptops who work from home regularly, and I am looking at RPC over HTTP for them. My question is this: Given the situation, would it make sense to just set those two up with RPC over HTTP as the only way they talk to Exchange, even when connected to the local network? Is there a good reason to add the complexity of multiple profiles in this case? I would like to keep things as simple as possible for these users, while not creating other problems...

transfer contacts using email
Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Many thanks, Frank FJB <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote: > Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using > email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Create a new PST (File>Net>Outlook Data File). Now, right-click Contacts and choose Copy. SPecify the new PST as the destination. When the copy completes, right-click the new PST and choose Close. Close Outlook. Rename the PST's file extension to something...

HOW IS F3 USED WTH EXAMPLE
hi guys reply me soon 1) In A1 type a number such as 12% 2) With A1 still selected, in the Name box (box to left of Formula Bar) type the word taxrate and press Enter. You must press Enter for this to work! 3) Let's confirm that you have named the cell A1: click on cell D1, now click on cell A1. The name box should not display "taxrate". If not, repeat steps 2 4) In A2 type a number like 100 5) In B2 type =A2* and then tap the F3 key. A dialog box opens, select the entry "taxrate" and click the OK key. Another way is to double click the "taxrate" entry....

Printing the contacts in Exchange OWA 2000 or 2003
Is there any way to cleanly print out all the contacts in OWA Exchange 2000 or 2003? You can print a mailbox's contacts from Outlook. As far as contact objects in the domain/enterprise, you'll probably need to script somethign to extract the data adn then you could format it with Word. -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "Srfrdrew" <Srfrdrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07829507-865A-4F36-89B9-163D5034208E@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to cleanly print out all the contact...

Exchange 5.5 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 306308
Hi, I am having a problem with Exchange Internet mail service, I recive all errors that the knowlege base article lists, however I am new to exchange and I am unsure as to how to check that the account has permission to logon to the information store. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance. If you go into your services applet in NT 4 go to Information Store servie and then Startup button and look at the bottom at Log On As and see what account you are using. For Win2k, go to the properties of the Information Store and the Log On tab. Hope this helps -- Melissa Travers, MCSE Micr...

Exchange Eval 2003
Is there a way to tell when the Eval copy of Exchange 2003 is going to Expire? Thanks Roger Crawford HTS On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:34:18 -0600, Roger Crawford wrote: > Is there a way to tell when the Eval copy of Exchange 2003 is going to > Expire? Thanks Add 120 days to the installation date, if you're unsure when Exchange actually was installed, check the "Exchange Server Setup Progress.log" file typically found on your C: drive. Regards -- Henrik Walther http://exchange-faq.dk ...

Using Dependents
In a particular instance when I am using the dependents search facility, a small symbol like a table or an Excel sheet appears, (the dependent arrow pointing to it). It's as if it is indicating that some other sheet has data dependednt on the cell. But I can't find any other sheet with dependent data. Double-click the arrow to the sheet symbol and Excel will display the dependent cells -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Zembu" <Zembu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352631A7-0BF4-451D-8781-669C26270BF6@microsoft....

Predicting new Ys given new Xs using known relationship for X and
Hello. I know people have posted similar questions about using an existing relationship between X and Y to predict new Ys given new Xs but I think mine has a slightly different twist. I would appreciate any help that could be offered. I have 20 data points for both X and Y. Each X point represents the number of workers on a farm for a particular year over a 20-year period. Each Y point represents the amount of crop harvest each year over that same period. The data is from 1901 to 1920. When I plot the points and fit an exponential trend line I get a high R-square of .9 . I would li...

Functionality lost by using exchange
Our institution recently changed from provider based internet mail (pop3) to letting external mail arrive directly to our exchange 2003 server. The following problem shows up: in the old scenario, groups had 2 mailboxes: one for the group (G) and a private mailbox for the manager (M), each with their own e-mail address. I emulated this by creating a mbx-enabled user G, that is only used for the mailbox, not for login. I gave all group members including M access to that mailbox. But what happens? 1. If a group member sends a mail, the return address is the address of the sender; it should b...