Restore #3

I had a situation this week where the stores wouldn't mount.  I did a restore
on the stores but now the logs won't replay.  Any thoughts?
0
Daley (2)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:19:01 -0800, Joseph Daley <Joseph
Daley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I had a situation this week where the stores wouldn't mount.  I did a restore
>on the stores but now the logs won't replay.  Any thoughts?

Yes. more information.
0
adavid (8731)
11/4/2005 8:27:22 PM
In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
original problem (316622).

The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to the
original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but the
logs won't replay.

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:19:01 -0800, Joseph Daley <Joseph
> Daley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I had a situation this week where the stores wouldn't mount.  I did a restore
> >on the stores but now the logs won't replay.  Any thoughts?
>
> Yes. more information.

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:36:02 -0800, Joseph Daley
<JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
>original problem (316622).
>
>The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to the
>original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but the
>logs won't replay.

Once you repair the store with eseutil, the logs are useless.

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:19:01 -0800, Joseph Daley <Joseph
>> Daley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I had a situation this week where the stores wouldn't mount.  I did a restore
>> >on the stores but now the logs won't replay.  Any thoughts?
>>
>> Yes. more information.

0
adavid (8731)
11/4/2005 8:40:50 PM
So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to run a
/P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:36:02 -0800, Joseph Daley
> <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
> >original problem (316622).
> >
> >The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to the
> >original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but the
> >logs won't replay.
> >
> Once you repair the store with eseutil, the logs are useless.
>

> >"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> >> Yes. more information.

well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you can
restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then look
at at this to force a replay of the log files:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931

then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
import the data back into the mailboxes...
--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to run
> /P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?
>
> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:36:02 -0800, Joseph Daley
> > <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
> > >original problem (316622).
> > >
> > >The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to
the
> > >original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but
the
> > >logs won't replay.

0
sconkey (3059)
11/4/2005 9:06:22 PM
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:47:03 -0800, Joseph Daley
<JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to run a
>/P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?

Restore from a good  backup and replay the logs.

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:36:02 -0800, Joseph Daley
>> <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
>> >original problem (316622).
>> >
>> >The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to the
>> >original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but the
>> >logs won't replay.

0
adavid (8731)
11/4/2005 9:08:39 PM
here's another article, too:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823168

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you
can
> restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then
look
> at at this to force a replay of the log files:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931
>
> then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
> import the data back into the mailboxes...
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to
run
> > /P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?
> >
> > "Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> the
> the
> > > >
> > > Once you repair the store with eseutil, the logs are useless.

> a restore

0
sconkey (3059)
11/4/2005 9:10:04 PM
Is that going to work on a VSS snapshot backup?

"Susan" wrote:

> well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you can
> restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then look
> at at this to force a replay of the log files:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931
>
> then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
> import the data back into the mailboxes...
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to run
> > /P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?
> >
> > "Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> the
> the
> > > >
> > > Once you repair the store with eseutil, the logs are useless.

> a restore

I don't believe so...so you were/are not doing ONLINE backups?  I thought
maybe you had one somewhere...I've never used snap backups...

--

> Is that going to work on a VSS snapshot backup?
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you
can
> > restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then
look
> > at at this to force a replay of the log files:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931
> >
> > then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
> > import the data back into the mailboxes...
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to
run
> > > /P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?

> > the
> > the

> > a restore

0
sconkey (3059)
11/4/2005 9:35:52 PM
I won't from now on either.  They lack flexibility; you can't use RSG.

"Susan" wrote:

> I don't believe so...so you were/are not doing ONLINE backups?  I thought
> maybe you had one somewhere...I've never used snap backups...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is that going to work on a VSS snapshot backup?
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you
> can
> > > restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then
> look
> > > at at this to force a replay of the log files:
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931
> > >
> > > then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
> > > import the data back into the mailboxes...
> > > --
> > > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> > >

> > > "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> run

> the

> > > the
> but
> > > the

> did
> > > a restore

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:15:04 -0800, Joseph Daley
<JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is that going to work on a VSS snapshot backup?

Wont your backup application handle this for you?

>"Susan" wrote:
>
>> well, if you have a copy of ALL the necessary transaction log files you can
>> restore the backup again, to an RSG (do not select "run recovery), then look
>> at at this to force a replay of the log files:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253931
>>
>> then you could extract the data based on time frame, to pst files, then
>> import the data back into the mailboxes...
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So if they were in an unstable state and I had no other choice than to run
>> > /P, I've done what I can do, can't do anymore?

>> the
>> the

>> a restore

0
adavid (8731)
11/4/2005 9:44:56 PM
I won't go to snap backups until I have made sure myself that I can do
everything with them that I need to do...there is no substitute for good
online backups, imo...

--

> I won't from now on either.  They lack flexibility; you can't use RSG.
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > I don't believe so...so you were/are not doing ONLINE backups?  I
thought
> > maybe you had one somewhere...I've never used snap backups...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Joseph Daley" <JosephDaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is that going to work on a VSS snapshot backup?

> > can
> > look

> > run

> > the

> > but

> > did

0
sconkey (3059)
11/4/2005 10:02:39 PM
Call PSS..............

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

> In researching the KB, I did find an article that worked that fixed the
> original problem (316622).
>
> The backup I restored from was a snapshot, so it would only go back to the
> original spot.  I did a ESEUTIL /p on the stores and they'll mount but the
> logs won't replay.
>
> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:19:01 -0800, Joseph Daley <Joseph
>> Daley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I had a situation this week where the stores wouldn't mount.  I did a
>> >restore
>> >on the stores but now the logs won't replay.  Any thoughts?
>>
>> Yes. more information.

0
rasilon1 (689)

3 Hour Delivery Delay
I have a Exchange 2003 server (clean install) that has suddenly decided to wait about three hours to deliver email. Any idea of the first couple of things I should look at? Thanks. what is your first retry interval on delivery? also, you might want to send an email, then go to tools/message tracking and see where it stops mike "10JQKA@nospam.com" <10JKQA@nospam.com> wrote in message news:5j06s0l00plvajdfbbhm99ndng62kp9ro7@4ax.com... >I have a Exchange 2003 server (clean install) that has suddenly > decided to wait about three hours to deliver email. > >...

Vlookup Formula #3
I am having a problem creating a formula. Here is what I want to do: Let's say I have the following information Acct # Name Amt 123 Joe $5.00 456 Ann $4.00 123 Joe $2.00 I want to insert a vlookup formula that will go and find the account number and pull in the amount. However, I do not want it pulling in the same $5.00 for Joe each time. Instead, the second time it looks for account # 123 I want it to pull in the $2.00 amount. So is there a way to create a vlookup formula that will pull over the amount after it has checked to...

forgotten password #3
How can i unlock a sheet for editing if I have forgotten the passwor -- FultonHoga ----------------------------------------------------------------------- FultonHogan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1569 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31413 Hi Fulton, See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html --- Regards, Norman "FultonHogan" <FultonHogan.1fucrb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:FultonHogan.1fucrb@excelforum-nospam.com... > > How can i unlock a shee...

exchange crash #3
Hi I have got Exchange 2003 which worked till today. The effect of crash is strange because I can create account in Active Directory, I can logon to that account via OWA. But no mails can be sent as well as retrieved via e-mail client. I'm not sure if it' not effect of a trojan because it occured so suddenly. I've got NOD32 installed on this server and after collapse NOD32 was stopped. After restart it is up now. There are several interesting entries in Even Viewer: Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1412). Topology Discovery failed, error 0x80040952. MS DTC could not correctly proc...

Outlook Restore
I had to re-install Office 2000 after a crash and after re-nstalling XP Professional. All my old files are intact but Outlook doesn't open with my old mail, folders and contact list. How do I get Outlook to recognize these? Does it give you an error or does it open up empty? Locate your pst-file and then connect to it by File-> Open-> Personal Data File... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Burt" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Concatenate 3 fields on the reports
Hello, How can we concatenate 3 fields like First name and Middlem name and LastName, so that it will not take many spaces on the report, Also I have 3 fields of address, and I want to combine address1, address2 and address3. All are intended not taking a lot of spaces, so that we have a nice looking report. Thanks in Advvance Frank In a query, create a new field, something like: FullName: [FirstName] & " " & [MiddleName] & " " & [LastName] You could use a similar approach on the address fields. If some address fields are empty, consider using...

Reinstalled Microsoft CRM 3 & Now Can't Log On
I just reinstalled Microsoft CRM 3 and created new MSCRM and Metabase DBs. I then added one user and could log on. I then restored my MSCRM and Metabase DBs into the newly created MSCRM and Metabase DBs and when I try to log on I get the "Authentication Error. Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system." error. If I try to go to the Deployment Manager to add new users there I do not have the Add User option. The only time I had seen this sort of error before was when I had gone into SQL and put one of the main CRM DBs in single user mode. Any ideas as to what I need ...

CRM 3.0 Redeployment Wizard map users
Hi, When using the CRM 3.0 Redeployment Wizard and mapping users manually from old system to new, do you have to have at least the same number of users in the new system than in the old? Or is it possible to map multiple users in the old system to one new user in the new system? Thanks. It seems that mapping multiple old users to one new user is not possible. But in the map users window in the Redeployment Wizard, you can leave blank the new user field for old users and the wizard will still complete successfully. After completing the wizard and installing the CRM, the old users that were ...

Parsing Data #3
I need to separate digits from text. e.g. 16:05:00 Warwick 14:20:00 Carlisle So that I end up with 16:05:00 in one column and Warwick in another. Ideally, 16:05 in one column and Warwick in another. TIA On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:53:45 +0100, Saxman <"john.h.williams2(removethis)"@gmail.com> wrote: >I need to separate digits from text. > >e.g. > >16:05:00 Warwick > >14:20:00 Carlisle > >So that I end up with 16:05:00 in one column and Warwick in another. > >Ideally, 16:05 in one column and Warwick in another. > >TIA You can use the Da...

How do i find the slope of a graph in excel? #3
Firstly you posted your message 3 times without waiting for an answer. Secondly you left your message body empty. The place for a question is in the message body, not just in the subject line. Thirdly, you didn't tell us which part of the results of Excel help for the SLOPE function were causing you difficulty. -- David Biddulph "Tunav" <Tunav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46DEEC3D-F684-4718-B1AC-B7644E01702F@microsoft.com... > Tunav, Simle algebra can be used to answer your question. Pick two points on the line: 1st point (X1, Y1) 2nd poin...

"Protect Sheet" #3
I am using Excel 2007 with Vista Home Premium. I have 15 workbooks, each with 12 sheets. I want each sheet (not the workbook) password protected to prevent any accidental to interference with formulae. With a total of 180 worksheets I am a bit disappointed there is no way other than protecting each sheet one at a time entering each password twice...! ......Or am I wrong? I sincerely hope I am. Can anyone help? TIA Hi, There is no built-in way, however, you can write a VBA macro. Sub ProtectMe() For each sh in Worksheets sh.Protect Password:="x" Next sh End sub If ...

Compatibility #3
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) We use MS Office on both PC and Mac in our office and have massive problems opening up Office Documents on the Mac that were pup together on PC's, how do I get around this ? ...

Cannot open file #3
I spent the best part of an afternoon editing some maps, yet Publisher 2003 kept stalling towards the end. It got to the point where I was saving it after every change but the reason it was stalling was because it was too big! I sent it to a different (read better) computer but even with the extra memory and swap file size, it couldn't open it. What I would like to do is convert the .pub to a .jpg, then finish my edit using the (hopefully much smaller) .jpg, rather than start the whole damn thing over. Is there a way to convert a .pub file WITHOUT opening it in Publisher? Would...

autoreply #3
Hi all, I fillowed this article to set an autoreply rule, I want each messages received by a particular mailbox to autoreply with a predefined message. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291956 My server does not use IMC just X400 connector to a central server. thx If you don't use Exchange Server, you can use Outlook Rules Wizard or one of the third-party automatic rules processing addins. See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/index.htm and http://www.slipstick.com/addins/index.htm . -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Adm...

3 Criteria Lookup
Lbs Scale Code Lbs > < USA 225 EU USA JAPON 1 75 98.00 115.00 98.00 76 99 0.25 0.26 0.35 100 1099 0.30 0.31 0.49 1101 1199 0.45 0.46 0.57 1200 4400 0.78 0.79 0.90 I am looking for a formula that would find the value under code (in this case USA) and then find the value under lbs (in this case 225) from the lbs scale range and provide the cost per pound (in this case . 31) Please keep in mind that corresponding value on the rate range must be exact, otherwise it will calculate the wrong rate times the number of pounds, resulting in over/uder billing amount. Your input will be great...

hotmail account #3
How do I add my hotmail account to outlook? tools, email accounts, add new accounts... choose HTTP. You need to use ol2002/2003. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Tito" <titovb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvL2XMiJEHA.3084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How do I add my hotmail account to outlook? > > What version of Outlook? Outlook XP an...

Sorting alphanumeric #3
I've been searching through several old topics on alphanumeric sorts and have not seen any problem that resembles mine. So, any help is appreciated. I have a worksheet with several columns (~10). I am currently sorting this worksheet based on three columns (e.g. A then B then C). Column A is a text-formatted family name for a group of data within the worksheet. Column B is a family number. This further breaks down the families into "subfamilies," if you will, based on the family numbers. The final column is each item's name, which are alphanumeric. Here is a very crude...

If 3 If's, then sum
I need to add hours if 3 critera match. In the below, if there is a 90 in the G column AND a 10 in the J Column, AND a 100 in the D column, then add the H column. Being that this criterea is found only in row 3 and row 6, I need the result to be 3 (H3 +H6). row D G H J 3 100 90 2 10 4 200 100 3 11 5 300 110 4 12 6 100 90 1 10 7 200 90 5 10 8 300 90 6 13 Thanks, Steve Hi Steve, Using your template as shown, p...

Percentage formula #3
Hi! I need a simple formula that will tell me what percentage of a column has, for instance, '1' as the value, values range from 1 - 4, sounds simple but I'm getting nowhere! Any help would be appreciated, thanks - I'm working with statistics. On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 04:27:01 -0700, AbbyLT <AbbyLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! I need a simple formula that will tell me what percentage of a column has, for instance, '1' as the value, values range from 1 - 4, sounds simple but I'm getting nowhere! Any help would be appreciated, thanks - I'm working w...

Outlook templates #3
When I try to save an email in html format as an outlook template ".oft" it converts it into plain text and I lose all my bullets and formatting. Why is this happening? it didn't used to happen before. I have some older templates where my bullets and formatting is still there. But any new ones I create just get converted into Plain Text when I select create from user templates in file system. Thanks for your help. Ana ...

Linking Workbooks #3
I'm not sure if this is an excel function or an access function. (I don't know Access - however I'm fairly well versed at Excel). My company has a separate Excel spreadsheet with data for each client. We'd like to continually update the data in the client specific spreadsheet and have a separate worksheet that regularly pulls the data from all clients/all worksheets that we may then reference, sort etc. How would we go about establishing this? Thanks. -- Cathy Hi Cathy Maybe the Merge Add-in or code from my site will help you See the "Copy/Paste/Merge example...

Backing up Exchange 2003 #3
I want to backup one of our Exchange 2003 servers using Veritas Backup Exec. If I choose to backup the Exchange Information Store, do I need to backup the mdbdata folder as well or would that be a little redundant? It would seem to me that both options would backup the same data and I don't want to backup GBs of unnecessary data. Thanks, Brett You should backup the Information Store. That will backup the MDBData, including logs - whether they're in that folder/volume or located elsewhere. It will also purge the transaction logs. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT ----------------------...

Page Numbering In Excel #3
I just wanted to take the time and thank Mr. Frank Kabel from Frankfurt Germany for respoding to my question. The site you sent me was of grea help. I really appreciate it. Thanks a million. :cool: Leah Kennedy Homestead, Florid -- leanet ----------------------------------------------------------------------- leanete's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1330 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=24859 ...

Import from Excel into Money #3
Can I import data from Excel 2003 into Money 2003? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8. "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18bce01c420da$2a66dc40$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can I import data from Excel 2003 into Money 2003? ...

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 #3
Hello All Technology Colleges, I would like to ask for your assistance, and opinions on this, before I do a shotgun upgrade to my test lab. After completed reading MS Press Windows Server 2003 Administrator's companion book. I fell ready for the upgrade from Winnt4.0 domain to Win2K3 AD. But, I still feel there's an issue with the MS Exchange 5.5 migration toMS Exchange 2k3. What would be the best way for me to upgrade the MS Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003? I did some endless search on MS site for migration tools, and 3rd. party white paper, and found nothing going from Exchg.5.5 to 2k...