replace server or Move mailboxes from Exchange 2k to exchange2k

This pertains to Exchange 2000 SP3
I recently purchased a new more powerful server to handle our exchange
traffic.  I am curious what is the best practice to replace the old
server,while reducing downtime.  Is there a way to add the new server, name
it as the old server and reattach the edb files like you could with 5.5 or
does AD not allow that.
Or is it easier to add another exchange server to the domain and move the
mailboxes?  Thanks for the help
0
PaulH1 (24)

How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297289

"paulh" <paulh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This pertains to Exchange 2000 SP3
> I recently purchased a new more powerful server to handle our exchange
> traffic.  I am curious what is the best practice to replace the old
> server,while reducing downtime.  Is there a way to add the new server,
> name
> it as the old server and reattach the edb files like you could with 5.5 or
> does AD not allow that.
> Or is it easier to add another exchange server to the domain and move the
> mailboxes?  Thanks for the help

0
seth4286 (64)

if cell is text move left one column

Monitor Server in 2003?

Delete dead mailbox from active directory
We have four exchange servers - two E2K and two E2k3. One of the E2k server just died due to corrupt array control. We had no mailboxes or anything else on that server. One of our administrator must have created one mailbox on that server by mistake and he never realized that until now. server died and we deleted that mailbox from active directory but, when i try to remove the server from system manager i get message saying can't remove because there are mailboxes associated with this information store. Is there any other way i can remove that server from active directory or s...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Outlook, Palm Pilot, and Exchange Server
I'm using Outlook with an Exchange Server (2000 Small Business). I installed the software for the Palm Pilot and now it prompts with a dialog box for the user to chose the following when they reply, forward or reply to all on an e-mail message. A Program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Allow access for (if you check the box) it gives 1, 2, 5 and 10 minutes. If you say no it lets you reply, forward, and reply to all. This is a nuisance more than ...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

IMAP address on exchange sever #2

Link Outlook 2003 to Exchange 5.5 over VPN
Hi How do you do it?? I have a VPN, I can ping the ip of the mail server (NT4) but cannot see it when I test from within Outlook 2003 exchange account Cheers Colin Put the IP address and server name of the Exchange server in your local computer's hosts file and see if you can then ping by name - if you can, you ought to be able to access the mailbox. That's just one quick way to do it....but it ought to work. Colin wrote: > Hi > > How do you do it?? I have a VPN, I can ping the ip of the > mail server (NT4) but cannot see it when I test from > within Outlook 2003 e...

Can not open additional mailboxes in my mailbox after a exchange 2003 rebuild database
To Exchange 2003 Gurus I have a exchange server that serve a lot of users. 3 week ago I had to repair the database with great success. But now I noticed a problem that in the past I was able to acomplished I can not open additional mailboxes in my mailbox.(right click on my mailbox>properties>advanced>Advanced tab> and when I click on add I get THE NAME COULD NOT BE RESOLVE. THE ACTION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED. This message appear eventhough I did not type anything Here is more info -I am able to open additional mailboxes if I use a computer with my profile that I created before I r...

Autoupdate.app behind proxy server.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Hi All Is there any way to get the autoupdate.app to work behind a proxy server/autoconfig file? I have about 70 users that I have to email and rely them to install the patches rather than using the 'autoupdate' to do the job. I hoping some clever bugger has found a way of making the flippin thing work... Thanks in advance. Laurence. ...

Outlook 2003 on Exchange
Dear all, despite of searching for days now, I couldn't find a solution to the following problem: We are a 3-person team in a small news agency, that all three have access to a mailbox that is hosted on an exchange system. We use Outlook 2003 on our workstations. If we get new emails, we sort the ones out that are worthy to read later and drop them into a subfolder of that mailbox. Let's call that subfolder "to_check". The chief editor then checks this folder once a day and then deletes the emails or moves them further to other subfolders. Now, we have a new colleague in...

Multiple DHCP servers
I have 2 DHCP servers setup in my domain using the 80/20 rule that Microsoft recommends. I have problems with the 2nd DHCP server however, because it continues to run out of available address leases as it would appear clients default to pulling their addresses from the DHCP server with fewer addresses. Is there a way to default clients to pull their address from a specific DHCP server first and when unavailable, from the second DHCP server? Hi JT Welcome to the Microsoft Macintosh Office newsgroup. Personally, I would like my computers, refrigerator and heating system to each have th...