renaming windows server running exchange 2007

Hello all

I have a small exchange environment runing a mix of ex2k3 and ex2k7 (one
server each). I need to rename the ex2k7 machine. I was thinking of just
doing it normally through control panel as you one would change any windows
machine's name.

Will this cause any problems with ex2k7 or even the ex2k3 server? or do i
need to install another ex2k7 server, transfer stuff over and all those crazy
things?

Many thanks for your help.

0
Cristina (11)

Yes, crazy things are in your future.  You cannot rename a server that is
running Exchange.  You will need to install a second E2K7 server, move the
mailboxes to it, then remove the first one.

--
Jim McBee
Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Cristina" <Cristina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I have a small exchange environment runing a mix of ex2k3 and ex2k7 (one
> server each). I need to rename the ex2k7 machine. I was thinking of just
> doing it normally through control panel as you one would change any
> windows
> machine's name.
>
> Will this cause any problems with ex2k7 or even the ex2k3 server? or do i
> need to install another ex2k7 server, transfer stuff over and all those
> crazy
> things?
>
> Many thanks for your help.

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
2/5/2007 11:11:14 PM
Many thanks for the responce Jim.

I figured as much. But just out of curiosity, since I have only one ex2k3
and one ex2k7 server, can I transfer all the mailboxes back to ex2k3,
uninstall the ex2k7, do my crazy deeds with the server and then reinstall
ex2k7 from fresh, or will that offend Active Directory and ex2k7 and other
components?

I look forward to your reply.

"Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" wrote:

> Yes, crazy things are in your future.  You cannot rename a server that is
> running Exchange.  You will need to install a second E2K7 server, move the
> mailboxes to it, then remove the first one.
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com
>

> "Cristina" <Cristina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all
> >
> > I have a small exchange environment runing a mix of ex2k3 and ex2k7 (one
> > server each). I need to rename the ex2k7 machine. I was thinking of just
> > doing it normally through control panel as you one would change any
> > windows
> > machine's name.
> >
> > Will this cause any problems with ex2k7 or even the ex2k3 server? or do i
> > need to install another ex2k7 server, transfer stuff over and all those
> > crazy
> > things?
> >
> > Many thanks for your help.

0
Cristina (11)
2/5/2007 11:26:00 PM
I *think* you could transfer everything back to E2K3.  I have not tried that
path yet, but that would *seem* to work.  Just make sure that you perform an
official remove of E2K7.  (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs)

--

> Many thanks for the responce Jim.
>
> I figured as much. But just out of curiosity, since I have only one ex2k3
> and one ex2k7 server, can I transfer all the mailboxes back to ex2k3,
> uninstall the ex2k7, do my crazy deeds with the server and then reinstall
> ex2k7 from fresh, or will that offend Active Directory and ex2k7 and other
> components?
>
> I look forward to your reply.
>

> "Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" wrote:
>
>> Yes, crazy things are in your future.  You cannot rename a server that is
>> running Exchange.  You will need to install a second E2K7 server, move
>> the
>> mailboxes to it, then remove the first one.
>>
>> --
>> Jim McBee
>> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
>> Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com
>>

>> "Cristina" <Cristina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all
>> >
>> > I have a small exchange environment runing a mix of ex2k3 and ex2k7
>> > (one
>> > server each). I need to rename the ex2k7 machine. I was thinking of
>> > just
>> > doing it normally through control panel as you one would change any
>> > windows
>> > machine's name.
>> >
>> > Will this cause any problems with ex2k7 or even the ex2k3 server? or do
>> > need to install another ex2k7 server, transfer stuff over and all those
>> > crazy
>> > things?
>> >
>> > Many thanks for your help.

0
jmcbee9404 (625)

Server-based rule for Resource Mailbox?
Hello - Our e-mail administrator set up a few resource mailboxes that can be used to scheudule some of our resources. What I was wondering now is whether it is possible to have server-based rules (auto-respond) work with it? I was able to create a rule to respond to meeting requests sent to the resource but it does not seem to be working. What I want to do is have an e-mail sent to certain people if somebody cancels a meeting with a resource. What I saw too is when people did not sign up "as resource" that an e-mail was sent to the resource mailbox. Is there a way to have the ...

Exchange Rate on Bank Transfer
Is there a way to modify the exchange rate on a bank transfer in the bank transfer screen? It seems I have to enter the Exchange Rate tables and modify the system wide exchange rate. What if the exchange rate for one transaction is different from that of another (since I have multiple bank accounts)? Adam, You can always change the exchange rate on the foreign currency checkbook whether you are transferring from or to it. If the exchange rate does not exist for the date of the transaction, the system will prompt you for a valid exchange rate depending on whether your exchange rates ar...

ASP.NET and Exchange on a domain controller
Hi all I am trying to install Exchange 2003 for testing purposes on a Windows 2003 domain controller box. Whenever I get to the point of enabling ASP.NET on IIS Manager it does not appear there even though ASP.NET is installed on the system. I have gone through the Technet Article 315158. It says in the article that the problem has been fixed with the 1.1 >Net framework. As far as I can tell I do have this version of .Net but still have no joy. ANy help would be greatly appreciated Cheers Isaac de Abreu Johannesburg - South Africa ...

No PocketPC support in 2007?!?
Lame!!!! Where is the official place to go to send MS some feedback on the lack of PocketPC support for 2007? "Matt Miladen" <Matt Miladen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF9E7EFB-8C6B-4DA5-B1BA-798F5527DF0B@microsoft.com... > Lame!!!! > > Where is the official place to go to send MS some feedback on the lack of > PocketPC support for 2007? LOL I don't know if you even want to try, Matt. I tried and got some "lame" spiel back from a CSR that WinMob5 was an OEM product and that I'd have to go to the OEM for support. ...

Outlook 2007 doesn't appear in Set Program Access and Defaults
I just installed Office 2007 Pro but for some reason Outlook 2007 doesn't appear in my "set program access and defaults". Outlook Express appears as my only option and Outlook Express appears in the e- mail slot on my start menu. Any ideas why? You must uninstall any prior version of Outlook and re-run setup using a = custom installation and make Outlook available. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

Public Folders on Exchange 2003
We ran through the deployment tools and have linked a new Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 5.5 server. We used pfmigrate to create public folder replicas on our target server, the Exchange 2003 server. We have not yet run the command to remove the replicated public folders from our source server (Exchange 5.5 server). Is it true that we would only run this step once we are ready to decommission our Exchange 5.5 server? How do I verify that the folders actually exist on our Exchange 2003 server? The reason I ask is that we are doing backup of our Exchange 2003 server wi...

Collation on moving GP to new server
We have GP9 running on SQL 2000. We will be moving it to a new server with SQL 2005. (and then upgrade to GP 10). The instructions in KB878449 say that the new SQL server sortorder must be the same as the old server. The old server is Latin-General, binary sort. We wanted to make the new server Latin-...CI... Is there any way to do this? Due to the way DynamicsGP makes use of the tempdb, the Server default collation MUST be the same at the DYNAMICS and Company database, otherwise the tempdb will not have the same collation and you WILL get errors. Therefore, the SQL2005 instance must b...

Windows Mail Could Not Be Started 04-10-10
I have been following the variou solutions posted here and none of them are working. When I try to start Windows Mail I get this error: Windows Mail could not be started. initializong junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full (ox80070002) If I click Ok, a new error appears: Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. I had been running Norton 360. I unistalled it and the ran the debris removal tool. Restarted. Same error message. I tried reaming the Contacts Folder and creatog anew one. Restarted. Tha...

Leave copies on server with Exchange 2003
Hi all, I have a user who normally connects to an exchange server in the office, but he likes to connect to his mail box via pop3 on his phone/pda when out and about. The trouble is that the pda downloads his entire mailbox every time and removes them from his inbox on the server, even when 'Leave a copy on the server' is checked. I've tested this in the office using Outlook Express to confirm that this is happening. How can I have the server leave a copy of everything in the exchange mialbox, while sending new items to the device which requests them? Many thanks, Garet...

disable MDI window list menu
I created a MDI application. When I create a new child window, it automatically adds window name to the 'Window' menu, i.e., it adds 'Doc1', 'Doc2'... How do I make it NOT do that? Thanks. WJ You can change the default name of your documents (in the string table) or you could remove the Window menu from the top menu, or, I think, you can just hook into OnInitMenuPopup() for the mainframe and remove the entries starting with AFX_IDM_FIRST_MDICHILD. This article might help you get started. In this one they remove all those items and replace them with a popup...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

Server Error: 0x80191002
Hi. What does this error message mean? Server Error: 0x80191002 Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80191002 I'm on XPsp3 and using Live Mail Desktop 14.0.8089.0726. I haven't been able to synch my account from the desktop client since yesterday morning. The web interface is working fine, but that's not very convenient for me. Graeme Several sites suggest deleting the account and recreate it as an attempt to correct this issue. However, there are also many which state you must contact...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

Excel tab as windows
Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can enter information in both tabs without having to minimize, maximize, or switch back & forth? Thanks C. Fillmore Hi you could align the windows so you can see both at the same time. But a 'always on top' option does not exist AFAIK -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany surveyorinva wrote: > Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open > another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can > enter in...

Task Window to open and stay open
How do you get the Task Window to open and stay open when you start up Excel 2002? I have the "Startup Task Pane" clicked in the Options|View window. Thanks, Jeff ------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------- ---------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------- You may have a hidden workbook that opens automatically as Excel starts up (e.g. Personal.xls), so the Task Pane closes, despite the Task Pane setting. You can change the Registry, or add a macro to the workbook that's opening autom...

HELP: Handling WM_SHOWWINDOW when window opened SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED
I've verified that the WM_SHOWWINDOW handler OnShowWindow() is not called when ShowWindow is called with SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED. I created a dummy MFC app (doc/view and no doc/view) and reproduced the behavior. So, here is what I have (simplified)... MFC app with no doc/view support. CMyWinApp::InitInstance() { .... pMainFrame->ShowWindow(m_nCmdShow); pMainFrame->UpdateWindow(); .... } CMainFrame::OnShowWindow(...) { // Not called when m_nCmdShow == SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED!! } This seems to be the designed behavior. Does anyone know why? What message can I handle in this case to know when the...

Server Crash and Recovery
Hello! I have 1 2003 server that was running AD and Exchange on it. I have back ups of System State and Exchange Databases. Now the server crashed. I have another server(slightly different hardware) and I want to restore everything from back ups, but i can't find the proper procedures to do so. Can some one help or point me to proper white papers. Thank You go here...tells you everything you need to know: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopg de.mspx -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Kory" <koryg@community.nospam> wrote in message ne...

coding a UI like Windows media Player in vc++
hi there i am writing an app which involves the management of digital stills and audio, and writing it in vc++6 i will use wmp to play audio, and i may have to write a custom skin just a general qst - what api/sdk is best to use to get that cool ui that microsoft have in wmp - ie, non-regular buttons etc cheers bhu ...

Open & update another file (through macro) while running macro
I am using MS Excel 2003 and I need help to solve my problem. One excel file (suppose A.xls) in which I’ll update my graph and the data is available in another file (suppose B.xls). What I am doing (through macro) is that I have created one button (in A.xls) and when I pressed it; its open the file B.xls (the data file) and at their I select month from drop down from which its update the pivot table based on the selection month and then same I was doing with another data excel file (suppose C.xls). Query : Is there any solution that when I pressed button from file A.xls its ...

Exchange Tool
getting this error in MSextmx.log when running Version 2 of the tool Please login to profile with admim privilges. Unable find mailbox timezone: error:0x80004005 The user I am logged onto and using OL has full permissions and send as on all the mailboxes in the exchange. Any thoughts, Thank you in advance. sometimes you just have to manually enter the server name and timezone yourself, it should look like this: /O=myorg/OU=my1admingroup/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=sid myserver Mountain Standard Time "WILDPACKET" wrote: > > getting this error in MSextmx.log when running V...

DHCP server behavior
Hi, In Windows server 2003, assume a connection session is in place and the remote host's IP is assigned by a DCHP server. What would happen if the DHCP server wants to assign a new IP to the remote host? Will the connection end? or, Will the server wait till the connection is gracefully ended by the user and then assign a new IP to the remote host? Thanks Yba Hello Yba, The DHCP server never assigns a new address from itself. The client makes the request for a new lease after the half lease time. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provid...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates