Removing Exchange 5.5 #2

I'm doing a migration exercise in a test lab without internet connection.
Here's what I have (1 site, 1 domain):

- Win2003 ADC (as a result of in place upgrade from NT4)
- WinNT4 BDC with Exch5.5 SP4
- Win2003 member server with Exch 2003, ADC (connection agreements for
mailboxes, public folder and configuration already defined and seems to work
fine)

Exch2003 was installed in Exch5.5 site (I tell it to join Exch5.5 site).

I have just successfully moved all user mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003. We don't
use public folders, so I suppose there is no reason to run PFMigrate tool
since there is no public folder data to migrate. Is that correct?

I sent a test mail to bogususer@bogusdomain.com to see where it is routed.
Looks like the mail is still routed to Exch5.5 IMS (it sits in IMS outgoing
queue, waiting to be sent). That shows if I improperly remove Exch5.5, I'm
going to be sorry later. How do I reconfigure it so that mail won't flow
through Exch5.5? More importantly, what are the next steps?

The final goal is of course to remove 5.5 permanently but what do I have to
do to be sure that 5.5 isn't needed any longer. I'm sure at this point I
can't just shutdown 5.5 and expect 2003 to work just fine without it.

Advice anyone?

"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I sent a test mail to bogususer@bogusdomain.com to see where it is routed.
>Looks like the mail is still routed to Exch5.5 IMS (it sits in IMS outgoing
>queue, waiting to be sent). That shows if I improperly remove Exch5.5, I'm
>going to be sorry later. How do I reconfigure it so that mail won't flow
>through Exch5.5?

An easy, reversable, way to do this is to change the "Address Space"
information on the IMS to somthing like "*@bogus.local" and then wait
(or recalc the routing).

>More importantly, what are the next steps?

There are lots of KB articles on this.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Smith's SK2 2-Stone Sharpening Kit
Price:$13.95 Image: http://thediscountlocator.info/image.php?id=B000B5JXU2 Best deal: http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B000B5JXU2 Deluxe Sharpening Kit, Contains 1 Each 5" X 5/8" Medium Arkansas Stone, 1 Each 4" X 1" Fine Arkansas Stone, 2 OZ Honing Oil. SIMILAR PRODUCTS: 550lb. Type III Paracord:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B000S5ODO6 Swedish Firesteel- Army Model:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0013L8D9K Enter The Kettlebell! Strength Secret of The Soviet Supermen:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=0938045695...

Excel Drop Down Boxes #2
Question; does anybody know how to add additional data to a previous drop down box? I have created a form that has several drop down boxes a while ago, and due to some information that has been change I need to input more info in the drop down boxes but for some odd reason I cant remember how I executed these actions!! If it helps I am using Excel 2000. -- CRS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CRS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27444 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46...

Exchange Rate Feeds
Can anyone recommend a reputable data feed service for Exchange Rates? We are looking to use a web service to pull the necessary rates and then populate the MC00100 table. We have researched sites like Xignite, but they use more "Broker" rates rather than daily rates such as Bank of Canada, etc. Thanks, Bryan ------=_NextPart_0001_F7543633 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Bryan, We don't really have any recommendations on a Web Service to retrieve exchange rates. I would say a partner/ISV would have better insight on what you are looking for in...

Exchange Rate on Bank Transfer
Is there a way to modify the exchange rate on a bank transfer in the bank transfer screen? It seems I have to enter the Exchange Rate tables and modify the system wide exchange rate. What if the exchange rate for one transaction is different from that of another (since I have multiple bank accounts)? Adam, You can always change the exchange rate on the foreign currency checkbook whether you are transferring from or to it. If the exchange rate does not exist for the date of the transaction, the system will prompt you for a valid exchange rate depending on whether your exchange rates ar...

.NET 3.0, 3.5 SP1, Media Center Issues
Well, I managed to download .NET Framework 3.0, in lieu of 3.5 simply DISCONNECTING non-stop, and though it (3.0) tells me that it has been successfully downloaded and you can now disconnect from the internet", "setup is proceeding to install it" etc., and not more than a few seconds elapse before it tells me that "an error occured, all files are being removed from the computer"...an icon is on the desktop, and I'm advised that when I click on the install icon it will be installed...again, and again..ad nauseam. 3.5 SP-1 will not even complete downlo...

ASP.NET and Exchange on a domain controller
Hi all I am trying to install Exchange 2003 for testing purposes on a Windows 2003 domain controller box. Whenever I get to the point of enabling ASP.NET on IIS Manager it does not appear there even though ASP.NET is installed on the system. I have gone through the Technet Article 315158. It says in the article that the problem has been fixed with the 1.1 >Net framework. As far as I can tell I do have this version of .Net but still have no joy. ANy help would be greatly appreciated Cheers Isaac de Abreu Johannesburg - South Africa ...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

Money 2002 Died #2
Experiencing the same situation. Please inform us of the situation. Thanks! We have the same problem here. Money won't start up. We reinstalled and it ran initially, but now it has the same problem again. Has anyone contacted Microsoft?! >-----Original Message----- >Experiencing the same situation. Please inform us of the >situation. Thanks! >. > Same thing here. This is scary! >-----Original Message----- >We have the same problem here. Money won't start up. We >reinstalled and it ran initially, but now it has the same >problem again. Has a...

Public Folders on Exchange 2003
We ran through the deployment tools and have linked a new Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 5.5 server. We used pfmigrate to create public folder replicas on our target server, the Exchange 2003 server. We have not yet run the command to remove the replicated public folders from our source server (Exchange 5.5 server). Is it true that we would only run this step once we are ready to decommission our Exchange 5.5 server? How do I verify that the folders actually exist on our Exchange 2003 server? The reason I ask is that we are doing backup of our Exchange 2003 server wi...

Exch 5.5 SP4
Hi One of my user sent an email to the client yesterday, Since then this user has been receiving return receipt every two minutes. Client has been also receiving the email in every 3 minutes. I have rebooted my server, Recreated the email address. Rest the IMS queue. Following is the email which my user are receving. Can any one please help. Thanks in advance -----Original Message----- From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@nl.sbc.com] Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 11:01 AM To: Valerie@.com Subject: Return receipt The original message was received at Sat, 3 Feb 2007 ...

Event id: 474 2 days after offline defrag
Last week my customers exchange 2000 information store dismounted and stopped due to it's size exceeding the max 16gigs. I had to run an offline defrag which lowered the databse to below 16 gigs and it mounted properly. That night the was a good backup. Since then there has not been a good backup - basically because of Event id:474 - a chksum error. I an afraid to restart that server or touch it because all of the email is working - all is OK except it cannot be backed up. We are prepared to order another server and run exmerge to migrate the data - is this the best method - or is...

Leave copies on server with Exchange 2003
Hi all, I have a user who normally connects to an exchange server in the office, but he likes to connect to his mail box via pop3 on his phone/pda when out and about. The trouble is that the pda downloads his entire mailbox every time and removes them from his inbox on the server, even when 'Leave a copy on the server' is checked. I've tested this in the office using Outlook Express to confirm that this is happening. How can I have the server leave a copy of everything in the exchange mialbox, while sending new items to the device which requests them? Many thanks, Garet...

Changing Inventory Item Types #2
In GP7.5, is there any way to change inventory item types once they have been used? Can the item be deleted and then recreated at the end of a year? Are there any utility programs that can do this? In particular, I've got some "sales inventory" items that I want to convert to "kits" and others that need to be "services" We are on 8.0, but I don't think it is possible to change the item type - not even with Professional System Tools. We have changed the item name (via tools) to include the word Discontinued. Then we set up a new item to repl...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

IF statement help #2
Hi What im trying to do is, Calculate a Cell x say 0.5. If the result is a negative number, sho 0. If it is a positive number, work it out and show the answer. Jus tried, and cant seem to get it right for some reason. I dont want t have to use another cell for no reaon, as I need to present th worksheet This is what I tried, IF((E22*0.5)>0), (E22*0.5), Thank -- RudeYut ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RudeYute's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3295 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Replication Message (Ver 5.5.1960)
Hi, We have an Exchange 5.5 organization with 6 sites. The sites are connected by an Exchange server that has X400 Connectors. In this server, Messages with subject:"Replication Message (Ver 5.5.1960)" fill the DS mailbox and then this result in problem. Problem is that changes are not replicated but mailing is working. When I noticed, the mailbox had more than 150000 items and then I deleted all messages. After that the replication started working. But the same problem happened a few days later and I solved it in the same way. But this repeates and I can't find any perm...

Removing Gridlinesq
Hello Is there any way I can default Excel to open without the gridlines being shown? Ie. so I don't have to go to Tools, Options every time I open Excel to turn them off. Thanks One way. Open a blank workbook. Use Tools>Options to remove gridlines. Save this workbook as a template called Book in your XLStart directory. Your system may automatically save it in the Microsoft/Templates folder when you select the filetype Template. Use Windows Explorer to move it to the XLStart Folder. Close and re-open excel. All new books should be created based on this template with gridlines...

No more new fonts may be applied to this workbook #2
I have Excel 2003 (11.6113.5703) running on windows XP. I have loaded the latest update from the web. When I try to change the font size of text in the axis or label of a chart, a message shows "No more new fonts may be applied to this workbook." When I do a print preview of the charts, the same message shows up and then the print previews would be displayed. I'd appreciate if you can tell me the fix. Jon Peltier has some information on this in his Charting FAQ article: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon025 and at his web site (use th...

Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book #2
Hi all, I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unchecked. To save me going to all workstations and checking this setting, is there some way I can set it to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" automatically? Cheers Marty... ....ms... <martin@adg.com.au> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. > When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail > Address Book&q...

unsafe attachments #5
I cannot view most of the attachments sent to me. I get an error that reads "oe removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail:....." How can I fix this? I can send these attachments to another user on our system and he has no problems opening the attachments. Please help. Thanks Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> option Do not allow attachments... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft...

updating #2
My microsoft money mutual fund page does not update anymore. Is there any reason? I did not change anything Thanks Dada ...

Exchange Tool
getting this error in MSextmx.log when running Version 2 of the tool Please login to profile with admim privilges. Unable find mailbox timezone: error:0x80004005 The user I am logged onto and using OL has full permissions and send as on all the mailboxes in the exchange. Any thoughts, Thank you in advance. sometimes you just have to manually enter the server name and timezone yourself, it should look like this: /O=myorg/OU=my1admingroup/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=sid myserver Mountain Standard Time "WILDPACKET" wrote: > > getting this error in MSextmx.log when running V...

I'm sending 2 (duplicate) emails each time I send emai
I'm using Office 2007, Outlook and, each time I send an email.. the receiver gets two copies.... any thoughts? Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. For more details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http:/...

Recreate Exchange 2000 with Disaster Recovery Switch
How do I do that? Please be explicit. I'm very new to the admin of Exchange. I've only done two "vanilla" installs. TIA, seems after reading for a while I would use a cmd box to go to the dir on the CD and issue "setup /disasterrecovery". If that is correct, am I to assume that this will "re-use" my existing data? By that I mean I plan to issue this statement on a machine where Exchange is hosed but the data store seems to be in tact. "bestbapu" wrote: > How do I do that? > > Please be explicit. I'm very new to the admin...