Removing Anonymous Access on Backend Exchange Servers

Hi,

We are running Backend & Front End Exchange Servers, Front End the anonymous
access has been disabled.

I am in the process of removing anonymous access in Backend also, but the
problem is there are many applications which are using backend servers to
send mails, most of it can be configured to authenticate before sending
mails, but there are a quite a few legacy applications which cannot
authenticate before sending mails (The code is not opensource & cannot be
modified). I tried to allow relaying based on IP's, but still those legacy
machines are not able to send mails unless Anonymous accesss is enabled. How
do get a breakthrough in this situation, such that I can allow anonymous
access only to certain IP's & not other machines on the network.

How are you guys doing this in your Company ?? Any help to this is highle
appreciated.

Thanks
Manjunath H N

"Manjunath H N" <ManjunathHN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are running Backend & Front End Exchange Servers, Front End the anonymous
>access has been disabled.
>
>I am in the process of removing anonymous access in Backend also, but the
>problem is there are many applications which are using backend servers to
>send mails, most of it can be configured to authenticate before sending
>mails, but there are a quite a few legacy applications which cannot
>authenticate before sending mails (The code is not opensource & cannot be
>modified). I tried to allow relaying based on IP's, but still those legacy
>machines are not able to send mails unless Anonymous accesss is enabled.

Unless anonymous access is permitted you're forcing the SMTP client to
provide credentials before they can do anything -- even to send mail
to domains for which your organization is responsible.

What is it your trying to accomplish?

>How
>do get a breakthrough in this situation, such that I can allow anonymous
>access only to certain IP's & not other machines on the network.

You'll need two SMTP Virtual Servers. But if all you're trying to do
is prevent relaying, then continue to allow anonymous access and stick
with just one VS. The "Relaying" button on the "Access" tab should be
all that's necessary. Allow relaying to authenticated users, and add
the IP addresses of the clients that can't authenticate to the list of
exceptions.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do I print a select number of address records from Access
I'm trying to print just a select number of records for a mailing that I'm doing. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Thanks. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:23:04 -0800, robbie6 <robbie6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to print just a select number of records for a mailing that I'm >doing. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Thanks. Create a Query based on the table containing the addresses (and perhaps other tables). View the query's Properties (with the View menu item, or rightclick the background behind the table icons and sele...

New to Access 2007
Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tables, forms, etc. But when I select a form, I can only open it; the option to Design the form is greyed out and the entire Forms tab in the Ribbon is greyed out too. Help! Thanks much, Glenn "Glenn H" <glenn@pivotal-z.com> wrote in message news:1187024333.492672.70330@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) > MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tabl...

Exchange 2k Journaling Problem
The company I work for is going to be moving locations in the next couple of months and, due to the move and several other factors, our email server will be down for a couple of days. As a stop gap measure, we have contracted with a 3rd party, Front Bridge AMC, to handle the email for us during that time period. The Front Bridge AMC maintains 30 days worth of email for each user and allows web access to their email, similiar to OWA. Email that arrives from an external source (hotmail for example) destined for the company I work for is captured, as is internal email destined for outsi...

Exchange 2003 SP1 and SBS 2003
My company has a server running SBS 2003. When running Baseline Security Analyzer I noticed that I needed to update our SBS Exchange 2003 to SP1 (BSL referred to our current version as Exchange 2003 Gold). I downloaded SP1 but was unable to locate any installation guidelines in the release notes. Should I just install the update during off hours? Please let me know if any installation instructions or guidelines exist. Thank you for your help. A Beck The release notes http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/sp1rn.mspx and online help http://www.microsof...

What are the correct steps to configure RPC over HTTP for a single server, SBS 2003, environment?
I have a SBS 2003 single server domain and am attempting to configure RPC over HTTP, however, the options within the Exchange environment don't appear to make sense: 1) Front-end server -- by the provided description this is not the proper selection (there is no back-end server; there is no other server period), [additionally, this option is greyed out] 2) Back-end server -- by the same "logic" for why this cannot be a Front-end server, this selection doesn't seem to be the right choice either -- there is no other server taking on the Front-end server role. 3) This option is ...

How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special project type that I need to start with?
How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special project type that I need to start with? "DR" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uJRyKcbFIHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class > library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special > project type that I need to start with? > You can do it all "by hand" but there is a template "SQL Server project&...

Existing Exchange 03 server to new Domain
We currently have an Exchange 2003 server, we would like to install a 2003 domain and make the Exchange 03 server part of the new domain. We would like to copy the user accounts for exchange to the new domain. Anyone have any info on doing this I am have some problems finding anything on Microsoft's website. you can only have one Exchange Org per AD Forest...are you trying to have two different ones or is this a child domain type of thing? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "jpnels" <jpnels71@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1147294933.261759.288080@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com.....

Forward mail through other smtp server.
I have exchange 2003 with sp1. My ISP started blocking port 25 and forcing me to send mail through thier server. Is there any way I can send my exchange mail through their server or curcomvent thier port 25 rule? Thanks Eric On your Internet Mail Connector forward your mail to their server instead of using DNS (aka smarthost) Greetings Hans http://fots.nl "Eric" <ericsweb@madison.tds.net> wrote in message news:fffd36e5.0411240934.9b56ee2@posting.google.com... >I have exchange 2003 with sp1. My ISP started blocking port 25 and > forcing me to send mail through th...

usb storage
hello, i have created an UpperFilter driver for the DiskDrive class. the purpose is to enable/disable usb sticks. i have created a control device object and created a couple of IOCTRLs, so that my user app can do the enabling/disabling. to disable, in AddDevice, i do IoGetDeviceProperty on the DeviceObject's DevicePropertyHardwareID. if it begins with USBSTOR then i set a 'isUsb' flag on the DeviceExtension. then, in the IRP_MJ_CREATE handler, i get this flag back, and if set, i just do IoCompleteRequest and return success. this works just fine - when i insert a u...

Exchange 5.5 Error Message "Application Log Full"
This is the relavent information from the Application Log: Event ID: 2125 Source: MSExchnageMTA Type: Warning Catagory: Resource Description: Statistics for the DBI call (DB Server): file writes GATEWAY, reads 37, cache hits 275, misses %5. Attribute %6, value number %7, Object ID: %8 (00000000 => N/A). Caller %12 [%9 %10 %11] (8) I'm having a hard time making sense of this error message. Vaguely, it looks like a system call to a DB server that is misbehaving in some way. I've tried restarting the MSExchangeMTA service, to no avail. Can somone point me in the right dire...

exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5
can 2003 and 5.5 running in the same network, different domains, seperate orgs, can users view each others address list? You might try this link for help, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;238573 -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Mostro" <oveloz@glas**flossnospam.com> wrote in message news:10f59d91kildved@corp.supernews.com... > can 2003 and 5.5 running in the same network, different domains, seperate > orgs, can users view each others address list? > > ...

Exchange Server Problem (I need help)
Hello to you all! The medical clinic I work at has a network. We all have our own email address. Mine, for example is lpeacock@elcardiologist.com. The problem is this. I can send out email as much as I want and they go where I need them to go. However, when anyone attempts to send any of us email, to our work, we don't get them. Now we had experianced some MAJOR problems recently in the past to where the actual IT lady had to set everything back up because things just went down. So our email accounts worked without any problems. But now, we can't recieve anything from an...

Activity Creation by Exchange Connector
We're investigating the use of the connector to create activities for incoming email that relates to CRM records. I think a good solution would be for CRM to create activities for all incoming messages that come from an email address that matches a Lead, Contact, and Account. If a matching address does not exist, the user would be required to promote the message using SFO -- or copy and paste. I have tried both options for converting incoming email and neither seem to be close to what I want: - All incoming.... creates and activity for *all* messages, even if it cannot match the se...

forward exchange 2003 mail to external email #2
hi anybody knows how to do this? i tried this but it didnt work http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/mf015.html its ok now..i just create another account..and and configure an external mailbox to that account..and then on the first account, i just put a forward to under delivery options the another accoount..:> :> ...

how do you reinstall the microsoft exchange server
I have outlook 2003 and was tryingto make it compatible with windows live and somehow deleted my microsoft exchange server and now I cannot open outlook...how do you reinstall the microsoft exchange server.__ -- lje Use the Mail applet in the control panel to add the Exchange account type back. "laurna" <laurna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D930AED-BB12-499E-996D-6FAF98D5B598@microsoft.com... >I have outlook 2003 and was tryingto make it compatible with windows live >and > somehow deleted my microsoft exchange server and now I ...

Can't access send/receive under mail setup
I am using Outlook 2003 with exchange. I want to add a pop3 account. The Pop3 account sends but won't receive (although the Outlook test message is fine). When I go to tools/options/mail setup and push the send/receive button, nothing happens. I have just installed a new hard drive. This worked on the old one, and on other computers. I have recreated the profile from scratch but I have the same problem. What's going on? Can someone help me? -- Thanks. Sammie SBS 2003, OFFICE 2003, XP-PRO-SP3, IE7 ...

Disconnect or removal of the "Speech" option under "Tools"
I would like to know how to disconnect or remove the "Speech" option found under "Tools" on the Microsoft Outlook (2002) main page (for email) This feature interjects messages during my use of the email system, which lock up the process, causing me to go through and shut down all of email functions operating at that time. I have to "back out" of email up to and including the MSN Homepage, and start over... very bothersome... and this problem occurs with notable frequency. I'm not sure of the purose of this feature, however, for me, it is an overwh...

Server 2008 with SSD drive
The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a application Server 2003 R2. When clients log in and in some cases when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally unresponsive. I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the backup server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any difference. At the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008 (R2?). The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the program files they use. Client count is probably < 10. I am wondering which drive controller to use f...

Access 2000 or 2002 on Vista ?
Any known issues? Need a new laptop, looks like Vista is being dictated now. Thanks, There's no difference between the way Access 2000 and 2002 run on Vista. If you are using multiple versions of Access on the laptop, see: Errors using multiple versions of Access under Vista at: http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html If you are connecting the laptop to other machines that run Vista, watch out for this bug that destroys databases: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=935370 There's a hotfix here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935366/ -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP...

Exchange 2003 And Multiple Managers
We need to deploy our organisation to allow for some users to have multiple Managers. For example, a secretary can report to a number of different Managers depending on what work they are performing at the time. Any help on how this would be achieved would be greatly appreciated. "Davie" <dxw@mms.co.uk> wrote: >We need to deploy our organisation to allow for some users to have multiple >Managers. For example, a secretary can report to a number of different >Managers depending on what work they are performing at the time. > >Any help on how this would ...

Zoom level in Access 2010
In all other office programmes I can set the zoom level for the document I am working on. Can't see how to do this for Access. I am entering data on a form which would all fit on the screen if I could reduce zoom to 85 or 90% Thanks everyone russweb wrote: > In all other office programmes I can set the zoom level for the document I > am working on. Can't see how to do this for Access. > I am entering data on a form which would all fit on the screen if I could > reduce zoom to 85 or 90% > > Thanks everyone Access has never supported zooming for a...

Access 2007 and windows 7
Under windows xp and vista, I could use a command line switch with access, but now I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact [Now I get a message box saying that thier was a problem sending the command to the program.] Thanks OD -- Looking to make money at selling items on the web? Give us a try at www.your-best-auctions.com. We are economical and cheaper then our competitors. To unsubscribe, please reply with unsubscribe in the subject line. "OD" <OD@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

counting values in a column in Access
I am working on a database for help desk type calls. I have three call categories and would like a running total of how many of each call I recieve. These three values are located in one column of a table. What are my options to make this happen? Example: Date Call Type Problem 11/5 Equipment VCR doesn't work 11/6 Computer Monitor wont turn on 11/6 Media CD is scratched 11/7 Equipment TV has no volume I would like a report or something telling me that I have 2 Equipment calls 1 Computer Call 1 Media Call Use a Totals query. If build...

Starting MS Access
The command line I use includes the database name, and wrkgrp. It requires the user to enter a name and password when opening the database. The problem is if the user cancels the logon then the MS Access toolbar appears allowing the user to navigate (file/open) the same as if using Windows Explorer. This is a problem when the application is on a Citrix server. Any suggestions on how to have the default Access toolbar not appear if the user doesn't sign in using their name/password? I'd rather not use the run-time version. On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:29:01 -0800, Jay Myhre <Ja...

Incorrect Exchange/Mailbox details
Hi, I've inputted incorrect Exchange Server & Mailbox details and now Outlook 2003 closes without giving me the option to change them. When I double click on Outlook icon, Outlook 2003 starts to load. A box opens with the text 'Configuring Outlook Accounts' 'Creating Welcome Message' Then another box opens with the error - 'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action' (I'm online and connected) The only option here is to click the OK button Another box opens titled Microso...