Removing an exchange server member

I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard
disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There
are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system
manager.  But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server
under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove
this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul
0
Yakeni (1)

To my best knowledge, it adsiedit.
"Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end
>hard
> disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD.
> There
> are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system
> manager.  But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server
> under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove
> this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul

0
none89 (807)
9/6/2005 5:05:23 AM
"Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end
>hard
> disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD.
> There
> are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system
> manager.  But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server
> under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove
> this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul

I had a similar problem and I found that deleting the components indivually
server first helped to remove the server from System Manager.
When it wouldn't go, I trawled through the AD for any reference of the
server and deleted it.
This eventually worked, but I'd advise only doing it as a last resort as who
knows what the implications are :)

0
wakeupcall (43)
9/6/2005 11:47:40 AM
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for product Exchange 2003, all words
"Manually Remove Exchange".
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end
>hard
> disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD.
> There
> are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system
> manager.  But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server
> under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove
> this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Recovery Virtual server....
I want to create a virtual test lab/recovery environment for my domain. has anyone else done this in the past? i am think of creating this on a segmented network with exact replicas of my DC and exchange server. although i have a question about recovering databases to this test environment, would i basically need to install my backup software on a machine in the test lab and restore that way... im a little confused on what the best way to do this would be. thanks. Yes on the backup software. The problem might be connecting it to your tape library. Make sure that the network is completely...

Exchange 2003 Reaches 16GB Limit
My Exchange 2003 standard edition complains of reaching 16GB even though the mailbox store shows a combined size of about 2GB. Priv1.edb is reading 15.8GB. What could be the cause of this. This server is only handling 50 users and is 2 months old. The largest mailbox is about 107MB. First, it's the _combined_ size of priv1.edb and priv1.stm that is limited to 16GB in the Std Edition. You could start by reading MSKB article 828070 which will show you how to _temporarily_ increase the permitted DB size so that you can delete stuff. Gordon "Leonard Okoh" <lokoh@tranterse...

Exchange 5.5 SMTP
I am trying to route outbound SMTP mail to a child and parent domain using two seperate smart hosts. I do not want to use DNS to resolve these two address. Can this be accomplished using the address space, routing, or connection tabs of the IMS? I have tried using the email domain and listing the child and parent, but I am unable to use * or other wildcards to represent the child domain Y.NET 198.155.2. X.Y.NET 198.155.2. SMTP conversation between servers starts with a DNS lookup of the MX record to find the other server. I don't get what you are trying to do here?? or what you want...

IS MY SERVER A RELAY?
Hello, I recently came to know something unsettling. Our internal servers can send mail via our exchange smtp protocol without the ip address being in the relay list. I have been using the relay list exclusively, so I'm not sure how this is possible. Below are the settings we have. If you can think of any way this is possible and how to fix it, please let me know. mailserver.ourdomain.com is the smtp address people are supposed to put into programs for the smtp server. it is a dns cname for one of our exchange servers. in the exchange system manager, we have the smtp protocol with...

Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt
My exchange 2003 has been working until 1/25/2005 when it suddenly began to queue up email with the information that 'The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.' I've reviewed my settings (which haven't changed) and checked to see if I have been put on a spam list (not). Any help in this would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan FYI: It was also on this day that Active Sync began to fail with a 3005 error. OMA and OWA as well as RPC over HTTP continue to work. Hope this additional info helps. Thanks "Dan Slaby" <dslaby3@comcast.net> wrote in...

Configuring a backup SMTP server
Hi Guys I'd like to configure a backup, remote SMTP server that would queue data when ever our Exchange server or Internet connection is down. The second server doesn't have Exchange installed but does have IIS 6. I understand how to do this by configuring the DNS MX records but I don't know where to start in configuring IIS SMTP to do this. Do I need to do anything on the Exchange server to make this work? Does anyone know of any web tutorials for this topic? Also once I've done this, what's the best way to test it? Thanks in advance for any ideas Jonny ...

error when deleting mailbox in exchange 55
Hi, i am having problems when trying to delete a mailbox in my exch 55. i receive the error c1040af4. does anybody know how to solve it? ...

duplicate contacts
I was having trouble with CRM contacts merging into an Outlook Client. It doesn't seem to be working. What this user wants is for all of his contacts to be CRM contacts. Can someone tell me if CRM synchronizes CRM to Outlook or the other way? Anyway, I have triplets for most of the contacts now? Is there a way to remove duplicates in crm? The only thing I have found on the web is to merge them but that is a one by one process. Any advice would be helpful. Hey Tim, One of the intentions for merging records is to help you combine information from 2 duplicate records into one, and ...

Need help removing characters in multiple cells
I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way I can remove the paranethesis? Here is an example: K-Mart (ABC#73846365) and I want to have just the following K-Mart Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the paranethesis. Thanks Select the range to fix. Edit|replace what: _(* (spacebar, open paren, asterisk) with: (leave blank) replace all It looked like you'd want to remove the space character after the t in k-mart. "<----- Mardm...

Mail Server for Win XP
Is it possible to run an Exchange mail server on a winXP system? I have come to the conclusion that this won't work. If it isn"t possible, couold someone let me know what mail server software is out there that will run on a WinXP system. Thanks HL HL649 wrote: > Is it possible to run an Exchange mail server on a winXP system? I > have come to the conclusion that this won't work. If it isn"t > possible, couold someone let me know what mail server software is out > there that will run on a WinXP system. > > Thanks > HL No - Exchange must run on...

Disaster Recovery
Hi, I experienced a hardware failure on my vmware server which was running a SQL Server 2005 vm. I had an "older" copy of this machine with the same exact settings. I was able to bring it up but now I can't get it to talk to my DPM 2007 server which has all the SQL protected data. I uninstalled the agent manually and reinstalled it with the -dpmServerName option... still no luck. Any ideas? If I understand it correctly: 1. An SQL 2005 server which is hosted on a VM server was being protected by DPM 2007. 2. Due to VM server failure, you have brought the S...

Help Understanding Microsoft Server Products
Hi all We are looking to upgrade servers (currently running WinServer 2003) - new hardware and software. The Essential Business Server Premium pack appears to be ideal in terms of the software and package offered. BUT it appears that there will not be a version of this supporting Exchange 2010 for some months. This means we put a significant investment into 3 year old software, rather than catching the up-to-date flavour. So what's the difference between buying the EBS package and buying individual software applications separately? Also, is there additional software i...

SQL Server 2005 CAL question
If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at the HQ server. Thanks in advance. Phil get a min of 5 cals Its not only the clients to think about its also any office PC that connects to SQL. "Phil V" <PhilV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E2F3590-032F-4B4C-9CEC-5A6A6BC7F46D@microsoft.com... > If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at > the > HQ server. Thanks in advance. > > Phil ...

List servers and their DNS server settings
I am trying to get a list of server names and their primary and secondary DNS server settings. If I try the following command: get-wmiobject Win32_networkadapterconfiguration -computername "servername | select name, DNSServerSearchOrder It would give me the specific servername and its dns addresses. I know have a list of computernames which I would like to list out and their DNSserversearchorder settings (DNS settings) I tried putting the list of computernames in a text file by using get-qadcomputer | export-csv C:\computername.txt -notype Then I used the get-con...

Exchange Server/Relay Server Problem
I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to the new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server running QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are being moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca; The Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new accounts. It did so flawlessly until Friday... On Friday administration decided they...

OU is blocking Exchange attributes
I have a perplexing issue that I am trying to solve. I have one particular OU in our AD structure that will not allow a user account to be populated with any Exchange attributes. Let me explain a little further. In this OU are users that do not have a mail box on our corporate email server, but they need their user account enabled with an email address. I can run the wizard to mail enable the account, but the user properties do not populate with the global settings. Things like the SMTP address, ccMail etc. I can move the user to another OU and have no problem enabling email. The big pr...

Multiple Exchange Servers and Email Router
When installing CRM 4 Email Router in an environment with 2 Exchange servers, where do I need to install the Email Router? it is not requirement in CRM 4.0 to install the exchange router on exchange. All you need to do is to choose the exchange server name while configuring the router . I myself had installed the router on CRM server. /Aamir ...

Removing Blank Cells #3
I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank columns and rows from a worksheet. There really is no need for this many blank rows in the workpaper I am working on and I assume it contributes to the overall size of the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. Hi you can't remove them (you can hide them if you like9. Also they do not add up to the size of your worksheet 8at least as long as your used range is correct) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Mortenson wrote: > I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank > columns and rows from a works...

Edit Checks Posting Journal-remove GL Dist
What would be the expression needed to eliminate the GL account distibution and just have the checks paid info and invoices included in payment? -- cal ...

"Remove access" to certain accounts in CRM 4.0
Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for specific users? Accounts they would otherwise have access to? I'm only talking about a very specific subset of the regular accounts in the business unit for which the person resides. Anyone have any experience with that? The simplest way is to move this accounts "VIP accounts?" into another business unit and set the access rights accordingly. Or you can use the team approach. Regards, Robert "Adam Pinilla" wrote: > Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for...

Move Exchange mailboxes from one Domain to another.
Okay, this is the scenario... I got called in to fix a big mess. I am not the one that set this up! (Just wanted to clear that up. ;)) Windows 2003 network.. 2 Domains Domain one: Active Directory DNS DHCP File Server Domain two: Active Directory DNS Exchange Both domains are under separate forests. The person that set this up setup duplicate user accounts under both domains. Why he didn't put the exchange server under the same domain, I have no clue. I just figure he didn't know what he was doing. So what I have is everyone logging in to Domain one to do their everyday work ...

dc as a file server
is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 people or less. One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server. Just wondering if I should put a member server in and move the file server over to that one? any thoughts appreciated. Not necessarily. This is common for branch offices to use the DC as the office file server also hth DDS "joe schmo" <joeschmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3332409F-9184-4A3F-9DB3-1E8B57591C08@microsoft.com... > is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 peo...

Exchange database size priv1.edb increasing fast
Dear Sirs, Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with SBS2003 Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb to 16Gb. The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set. The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost 1.5 year. What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it possible to decrease size of Exchange database? Regards Darek you have to first isolate what is causing the increase go to the system manager and...

Where can I find the newsgroups that have disappeared from the MS news server?
I've been an enthusiastic user of these wonderful MS newsgroups for years (mostly the Access groups), but I've noticed that Microsoft has been removing them from their news server. Are the discussions continuing on a Web-based forum somewhere? If so, I'm disappointed because I've found reading the message threads with a newsreader like Outlook Express is much more convenient than trying to manage the browser-based forums. But if that's the only thing available, I'd gladly use them. Can anyone tell me where I can go to find the question and answer gro...