remote user password cache update?

I'm enforcing a 90 day password policy but I'm not sure what method would
best help remote users to update their domain cache password once they change
it from OWA.  Since my VPN does not allow to authenticate prior to the domain
login, remote users are often loggin in with their cache acct.  What is the
best method to update their cache acct once its changed from the web?

Thanks in advance,
ct
0
Chris6982 (632)

[Best posted in security newsgroups}

That's been a thorny issue for a while - more so if your vpn also uses
passwords for authentication.

If you implement web-based password-change functionality, the password gets
changed on the domain, but the locally cached password remains. If the user
is already logged into the computer using cached credentials, you can have
them disconnect/reconnect to network shares - that usually updates the
cached password, but doesn't work consistenly all the time.

If you use a different auth mechanism for vpn (other than passwords) - like
RSA SecurID for instance, you can bypass this problem. Users log on to the
computer using cached credentials, log in to the vpn, then simply press
CTRL-ALT-DEL and change their passwords.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm enforcing a 90 day password policy but I'm not sure what method would
> best help remote users to update their domain cache password once they
> change
> it from OWA.  Since my VPN does not allow to authenticate prior to the
> domain
> login, remote users are often loggin in with their cache acct.  What is
> the
> best method to update their cache acct once its changed from the web?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ct

0
bharat3597 (1006)
9/28/2005 4:25:28 PM
That's exactly what I am facing but CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't for me even though
my users are in the building, not local...help me please

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> [Best posted in security newsgroups}
>
> That's been a thorny issue for a while - more so if your vpn also uses
> passwords for authentication.
>
> If you implement web-based password-change functionality, the password gets
> changed on the domain, but the locally cached password remains. If the user
> is already logged into the computer using cached credentials, you can have
> them disconnect/reconnect to network shares - that usually updates the
> cached password, but doesn't work consistenly all the time.
>
> If you use a different auth mechanism for vpn (other than passwords) - like
> RSA SecurID for instance, you can bypass this problem. Users log on to the
> computer using cached credentials, log in to the vpn, then simply press
> CTRL-ALT-DEL and change their passwords.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>

> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm enforcing a 90 day password policy but I'm not sure what method would
> > best help remote users to update their domain cache password once they
> > change
> > it from OWA.  Since my VPN does not allow to authenticate prior to the
> > domain
> > login, remote users are often loggin in with their cache acct.  What is
> > the
> > best method to update their cache acct once its changed from the web?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > ct

0
JMF3186 (2)

Outlook 2003 Cached mode #2
We are using cached Exchange mode on our outlook 2003 clients. Users in our call center have multiple mailboxes open in their outlook. i.e. there are 2 shared mailboxes that everyone opens that they receive email on. The problem is that if you are using cached mode it caches all the accounts that you open. Each of the shared mailboxes is around 500MB and then the users mailbox is 200MB. So they all have HUGE ost files. Is there a way around this? Shared mailboxes shouldn't be cached, only public folders if they have it enabled in the account configuration. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Ou...

For those with IMF update problems
Just thought I would mention that you must use "Microsoft Update", not "Windows Update" in order to get the latest updates for IMF. Hope this helps some people out. -- Eddy - MCSE Hi Eddy, Thanks for your posting and especially appreciate the information that you shared. We value your presence here and look forward to working with you again in the SBS newsgroups! Here I just want to provide some related information for your reference: How to update the Intelligent Message Filter version 2 in Exchange Server 2003 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907747 Hop...

Update window after resizing.
By default, windows are immediately updated during resizing its window. But, some applications update their view after resizing is finished. (releasing mouse button) In addition, they show gray or dim lines to display its shape of window. How to do that? and where can I find it's documents or example source code? Take a look at CS_HREDRAW and CS_VREDRAW window styles. These styles cause the whole window to be invalidated whenever the window is resized. KB article 177352 talks about this. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Joon-ho Ryu" <junoryu@hotmail.com&...

multiple users in a database.
-- thanks in advance On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:49:17 -0800, jcontrer <jcontrer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Do you have a question, j? John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Isolating some Exchange users
Got a particular situation with a manufacturing client, with 1 Exchange 2003 SP2 Ent Back-end server. Because of a company rule, they want to isolate a group of users ( 50 in an org of 500 ) so these users can only send between themselves and certain distribution group. These 50 users are on a separated Store on the server that has all 500 users. Does anyone know of any documentation or articles from Microsoft on how to do this ? Is there maybe a 3rd party tool that runs on Exchange 2003 to do this ??? Thanks !!! 3 options for isolating users: - Recipient properties | Exchange Gen...

How to make an excel file password protected
Dear all, I would like to make an Excel file to be protected by a password. I want it to ask for a password whenever "save" is clicked. I tried to use the "Protect Workbook" function but it seems doesn't work. Anyone knows the solution? Thanks a lot. Terence I think I'd use the builtin workbook password protection. The user will be prompted when they open the workbook--not when they try to save. If that's ok: While you're saving the file... File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|Change the password to modify to something memorable. (xl2002 wording) File...

2003 junkmail filter update
I installed the latest update for office 2003 which included a junk mail filter update. I probably shouldn't have done this, since my junk mail filter was working perfectly before. Now a lot of junk mail the filter that the filter used to catch is going to my inbox. Does anyone know what I can do to get outlook back to how it was? I tried system restore, and I also tried removing and reinstalling outlook from the CD. Neither worked. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Have you set the filter to "high"? >-----Original Message----- >I installed the latest update fo...

Managed User?
I'm supposed to be a "managed user". My understanding is that my posts should be reviewed and answered by Microsoft within 48 hours. This is not happening. Has anyone else had this issue, and what can be done to resolve. I have a ticket open with Microsoft support, and still have no response. Hi Lisa This newsgroup is not a managed newsgroup, so I don't think the guarantees apply here. I am checking with a colleague to see where you should be posting. Thanks David David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Paci...

How Can Remote VPN Users Connect to our Exchange Server?
Hello-- We just installed a SonicWALL firewall in one of our remote office and configured a VPN tunnel to our PIX firewall here at the main office. Are there any articles on how to configure the clients in the remote office to be able to connect to our Exchange server so they don't have to use POP3? Many thanks, Stephen Once they connect via VPN, they should have access to all internal network resources (including Exchange). There should be no additional configuration necessary. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "razor" <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

IE prompts for username and password when saving excel file opened in IE
Hi all, I've been having a problem, i have an IIS server, serving a bunch of excel spreadsheets and word documents. The files are for viewing only (i.e., read only). When I click on a link to download a word file it prompts me whether I want to save it or open it. If I save it it works fine. But if I open it, it opens in IE. If I try save the document locally it does it no problem. However, when I do the same thing with the excel documents, I can open them fine in IE but when I try save them locally, I get prompted for a username and password for the web server. Now I don't want that ...

Query for AD to get E-mails With User Accounts & Creating New user Accounts !!
Hello everybody , i'm a newbie in Exchange Server who has it as heritage from a previous Admin. so what i need is (Maybe Simple): 1- a query (to get the output to a *.txt file) for AD to get all e-mails accounts associated with each user account .. so i can know in which OU it lives & how many E-mails it has. i've this but i don't know what parameter or where should i add to get the above details .. i just get e-mails: dsquery user "OU=Clients, DC=mydomain,DC=Com" | dsget user -email > C:\emails3.txt 2- Another query (or maybe command like dsadd) but i need to...

Passwords Changes taking to long on Exchange 5.5
Hi Please do you know of any reasons why password changes takes too long to propagate, on a Windows 2000 server using Exchange 5.5.Its only has started happening today. Can think of what has been changed. Thank you in advance ...

User access
Hi, I create a user in MS CRM app with Role and License, but I access with this user I have an error access. The message of error is : "You don't have permissions of role assign ..." Please, anybody have information about that Thxs What is your role in MSCRM? If you do not have the administrator role, please ensure that your assigned security role has the proper permissions to create users and such. That would be the first place I'd look. "Renato" wrote: > Hi, > > I create a user in MS CRM app with Role and License, but I access with this >...

Outlook XP password retention
I am not able to get Outlook XP to remember my password for my pop3 mail account even though I have checked the remember password box in the accounts setup screen. Once Outlook is running it will remember and continue to due my set periodic checks for new email, but anytime the program is closed and then reopened it requires me to enter the email password again. Is there a way to set it so it will remember the password when first opened? ...

Windows Update Always Fails
I'm trying to use Windows Update and keep getting the message: "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem" If I try to "reinstall the files" it just gives me the exact same problem over again. Please don't tell me this has something to do with anti-virus software. I'm running Symantec Endpoint Protection, I cannot turn it off because that's...

How do I disable password protection in FrontPage?
I am setting up a form at work on FrontPage and when I ask a person outside the server to test my form, when they hit the submit button it tells them they need to enter a passoword. Is there a way to disable having to input a passowrd to submit my form? Check the permissions on the folder the form data is being stored in. If the website is correctly set up and using FrontPage extensions the _private folder already has the correct permissions. Running a Server Health Check may correct the problem for the _private folder in an extended site. If the form data is going to email, ...

Anyone know when Oulook 2003 Contact Form Designer will have an update ? Or a workaround?
Anyone know when Oulook 2003 Contact Form Designer will have an update ? Or a workaround? I am trying to create a custom contact form in Outlook 2003 and want to base it off of the default contact form in Outlook 2003 and just get the old XP form. I went to knowledge base and they say that it is a known problem that the design form for Outlook contacts 2003 (only the contact form apparently) was not updated from 2000 or XP. Does anyone know when that will be fixed or have another workaround? I would like the new form to have the picture option that the default Outlook 2003 contact form has. ...

Request for MSVM Services Updates
"Request for MSVM Services Updates". To: Microsoft.com/Support I am noticing through this document the request for Microsoft Software Virtual Machine(MSVM) service updates ,to use it as compatible enviroment on my int ernetwork. (IT IS AS OBJECT REQUIRED FOR WINDOWS). I would like to be included in your mailing list and, to receive regularly newslett ers update from yours. I would like to join the 'microsoft.public.java.vm.migration' on this time. Thanks for your business. Congratulations. Sincerely: "fbell1222". fbell1222 wro...

What has my macro done to my password?
I created a macro, and used the Activesheet.Unprotect Password:="trip" to protect it. But, I left out the : after "Password". When i tried to run the macro i got a debug message. Now, "trip" will not unprotect my sheet, and i have no idea how to get it unprotected. Can anypone figure out what the password has been changed to? Thanks, Tonso On Jan 25, 5:06=A0pm, Tonso <wthoma...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I created a macro, and used the Activesheet.Unprotect Password:=3D"trip" > to protect it. But, I left out the : after "Password". Whe...

Password Protect a Workbook ?
Is there a way to Password Protect a workbook so that someone else using the computer cannot open it ? Thanks One way which might suffice .. Click File > Save As In the Save As dialog, Click Tools > General Options In the Save Options dialog Enter a password to open, click OK -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Bubey" wrote: > Is there a way to Password Protect a workbook so > that > someone else using the computer cannot open it ? > Thanks > > Bubey" When you "save as" in that window goto "to...

User permissions
Hi we have an exchnage serve 2003 with W2K3 . I created a New user today. I wanted to grant another user access to his mail box; When I opened the permission page all what I saw was self. should n't there be administrators and the more users have had some permissions on the maibox. or should I not worry and it will show up Thanks That's normal until you log into the mailbox or send it a message. It's detailed here: http://www.petri.co.il/self_permission_on_exchange_mailboxes.htm -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msex...

Simple IF Statement Q
All, I am having a major blonde moment here! I am embarassed to ask this question, but I cant get this to work :confused: Please help... Here is what I want to happen. working row by row, if D is blank, then A should say delete, if D has data, then no action. I just cant get a formula that doesnt give me a 0 in the wrong spot. name# or a circular reference error. Is it friday yet??? Thanks in advance for your help all ;) Bleu -- bleu808 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bleu808's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

Microsoft CRM 3.0
Hi, We've installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 successfully, but have problems installing the sample data. I have a 10 user licence, obtained from MSDN, and have setup test users in Active Directory & CRM. I then run the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.SampleDataWizard.exe and it allows me to pick four users(I've actually setup more but it didn't give me anymore options) from Active Directory. When I click NEXT to proceed to the next step it just displays the message 'invalid user name' . I tried with another set of users that had not been setup in CRM and were just in AD, same error mes...

License problem, replacing users in CRM
Hi All, I have CRM1.2 with the MSDN license installed, I have tried to replace two of the users... Removed license from user, diabled user in crm, and removed the uesr from the OU's.. Then addes new user, assigned the license to them.. They are not able to login and get a license error. Anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks! Are the old users still in AD? If you delete a user from AD before removing the CRM license, it causes big problems. You can try putting them back in AD, with the appr rights etc, then remove the license. MS will tell you to re-install or restore....pretty ...

Help / tutorials for user who is new to CRM
I am new to CRM. I have a service business (no product) that I would like to use CRM to track (past & future) appointments and other work done for clients, work performed vs. billed, and report on overall time spent and allocated. I have browsed through some of the online information, installed the software, created clients and contacts and users. Could someone point me to a resource that can walk me through the basics of using CRM as a newbie? Thank you. You might want to consider attending an instructor led course for Microsoft CRM. ============================== John O'...