Remote Exchange server?

Scenario....

I have a client in a real problem area.
The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in
summer time!
Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so
please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't
happen!

I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a
data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect
by outlook web access without any interruptions.

Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the
remote exchange server during normal office hours.

Is this doable as i know exchange needs an ad domain.
I was thinking of creating a VPN to the data center.... ??

Is there a suggested way to do this?

Thanks..
0
inorbit (1)

This is perfectly doable in several ways:
1. OWA. Over plain HTTP (not highest security), SSL or VPN.
2. Outlook in cached mode, either over VPN or over HTTP (the latter is how
MS  themselves do this - they have less than 10 datacenters with Exchange
servers, but 100's of offices all over the world).

inorbit@bigfoot.com wrote:

> Scenario....
>
> I have a client in a real problem area.
> The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in
> summer time!
> Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so
> please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't
> happen!
>
> I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a
> data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect
> by outlook web access without any interruptions.
>
> Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the
> remote exchange server during normal office hours.
>
> Is this doable as i know exchange needs an ad domain.
> I was thinking of creating a VPN to the data center.... ??
>
> Is there a suggested way to do this?
>
> Thanks..

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/20/2005 1:51:48 PM

In news:hsisd11rg7h8a6mfl9515359hhgvsolku6@4ax.com,
inorbit@bigfoot.com <inorbit@bigfoot.com> typed:
> Scenario....
>
> I have a client in a real problem area.
> The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in
> summer time!
> Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so
> please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't
> happen!
>
> I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a
> data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect
> by outlook web access without any interruptions.
>
> Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the
> remote exchange server during normal office hours.
>
> Is this doable as i know exchange needs an ad domain.
> I was thinking of creating a VPN to the data center.... ??
>
> Is there a suggested way to do this?
>
> Thanks..

Perhaps a silly question, but if they have serious power outages, how is a
computer, a router, a switch, etc., going to be running in the first place?

0
lanwench (7567)
7/20/2005 3:31:54 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Perhaps a silly question, but if they have serious power outages, how is a
> computer, a router, a switch, etc., going to be running in the first place?

Good question!!!

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/21/2005 2:07:40 PM
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:31:54 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>In news:hsisd11rg7h8a6mfl9515359hhgvsolku6@4ax.com,
>inorbit@bigfoot.com <inorbit@bigfoot.com> typed:
>> Scenario....
>>
>> I have a client in a real problem area.
>> The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in
>> summer time!
>> Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so
>> please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't
>> happen!
>>
>> I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a
>> data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect
>> by outlook web access without any interruptions.
>>
>> Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the
>> remote exchange server during normal office hours.
>>
>> Is this doable as i know exchange needs an ad domain.
>> I was thinking of creating a VPN to the data center.... ??
>>
>> Is there a suggested way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks..
>
>Perhaps a silly question, but if they have serious power outages, how is a
>computer, a router, a switch, etc., going to be running in the first place?

No its not a silly question....

The office already has a huge back up system....
Once the batteries are done, all systems will go down untill power is
restored.

Believe it or not ...at this point everyone goes home and continues to
work remotely by RDP into the data  center, which is where i want to
move the exchange server to.

So basically what your saying is....
I should get the exchage server take it from the problem office  to
the data center and connect it back  by VPN which is what i was
thinking of doing... i just didnt know if it was the best way.

I wish exchange would work as a stand alone so i could just let it
sit in the data center on its own ... if only.
0
admin2440 (7)
7/21/2005 7:25:02 PM
Why then not move their whole server room to the data center?
Get rid of the whole office, let workers telecommute and save on time, pollution
and green-house gases.

admin@hidev.com wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:31:54 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >In news:hsisd11rg7h8a6mfl9515359hhgvsolku6@4ax.com,
> >inorbit@bigfoot.com <inorbit@bigfoot.com> typed:
> >> Scenario....
> >>
> >> I have a client in a real problem area.
> >> The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in
> >> summer time!
> >> Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so
> >> please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't
> >> happen!
> >>
> >> I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a
> >> data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect
> >> by outlook web access without any interruptions.
> >>
> >> Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the
> >> remote exchange server during normal office hours.
> >>
> >> Is this doable as i know exchange needs an ad domain.
> >> I was thinking of creating a VPN to the data center.... ??
> >>
> >> Is there a suggested way to do this?
> >>
> >> Thanks..
> >
> >Perhaps a silly question, but if they have serious power outages, how is a
> >computer, a router, a switch, etc., going to be running in the first place?
> >
> No its not a silly question....
>
> The office already has a huge back up system....
> Once the batteries are done, all systems will go down untill power is
> restored.
>
> Believe it or not ...at this point everyone goes home and continues to
> work remotely by RDP into the data  center, which is where i want to
> move the exchange server to.
>
> So basically what your saying is....
> I should get the exchage server take it from the problem office  to
> the data center and connect it back  by VPN which is what i was
> thinking of doing... i just didnt know if it was the best way.
>
> I wish exchange would work as a stand alone so i could just let it
> sit in the data center on its own ... if only.

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/22/2005 7:05:19 AM
lol... Yes I guess I should suggest just that!

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:05:19 +0400, Kirill Palagin
<kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote:

>Why then not move their whole server room to the data center?
>Get rid of the whole office, let workers telecommute and save on time, pollution
>and green-house gases.
>
>admin@hidev.com wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:31:54 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> >In news:hsisd11rg7h8a6mfl9515359hhgvsolku6@4ax.com,
>> >inorbit@bigfoot.com <inorbit@bigfoot.com> typed:

>> >Perhaps a silly question, but if they have serious power outages, how is a
>> >computer, a router, a switch, etc., going to be running in the first place?
>> >
>> No its not a silly question....
>>
>> The office already has a huge back up system....
>> Once the batteries are done, all systems will go down untill power is
>> restored.
>>
>> Believe it or not ...at this point everyone goes home and continues to
>> work remotely by RDP into the data  center, which is where i want to
>> move the exchange server to.
>>
>> So basically what your saying is....
>> I should get the exchage server take it from the problem office  to
>> the data center and connect it back  by VPN which is what i was
>> thinking of doing... i just didnt know if it was the best way.
>>
>> I wish exchange would work as a stand alone so i could just let it
>> sit in the data center on its own ... if only.

0
admin2440 (7)

Access OWA during exchange offline
Dear All AS we know, we can access Our inbox (via Ms Outlook) during exhange server down or offline. My concern is, can wee access our inbox or calendar during exchange server is offline? thank you.. In news:%23YTtmu97FHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl, Muhamad Taufik Khasim <Taufik@uniten.edu.my> typed: > Dear All > > AS we know, we can access Our inbox (via Ms Outlook) during exhange > server down or offline. > My concern is, can wee access our inbox or calendar during exchange > server is offline? > > thank you.. No.....only when your mailbox is accessibl...

Exchange 2003 Question #3
Dear all, I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I can clean/delete mail based on certain criteria from users mailbox via the System Manager. Is this feature still available in Exchange 2003, If so, where is it? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. You can use ExMerge to remove emails based on certain criteria (ie. attachment name, subject, etc). http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF013.html "KA Kueh" wrote: > Dear all, > > I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I > can clean/delete mail based on ...

Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000
Hey everybody, At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to Windows Server 2003. The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000. My question is : Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode) Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ? What about notions of Front End / Back End ? We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool :)) Thanks for your replies, Mike You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you only get OW...

Rejected by Server
When sending mail, I get an error with "rejected by server". The e-mail is still sent, but I get this error message every time. You are hiding some of the details. The reject error would show some status error number, like 550, and an error code, like 0x.....CE. Are you sending e-mails using your ISP's SMTP (outbound) mail server? Or are you connected to their network but trying to relay SMTP requests across their network to an SMTP server on someone else's network? That's a no-no since many ISP's will not let you relay SMTP traffic across their network (except,...

Outlook2003 : keeping a copy of PST on server
I can't seem find the place to make the change on the client's outlook to keep a copy of the pst file on exchange server. When I configured outlook I got the message to go into tools and select the option to keep a copy on server. I couldn't find that option and all mail was delivered to the client. When you go through owa all you will see is the new mail not delivered to the client. I'm going to hack at it and when I find something I will post my findings. But if someone already knows where to look I would appreciate that Thanks Norm found this article http://www...

Identifying remote Outlook Access
Scenario. I am running outlook 2002 on NT4.0 connected to exchange mailbox on exchange 5.5/2000. Is there any way I can identify whether the Administrator or exchange Admin has my mailbox open on his PC or is accessing my mailbox via his security access. Can i tell on my PC. Is there something left locally on my PC that will tell me. No, you can't. Why the suspicion? -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar Subscribe to the...

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

Exchange 2003 on a Domain Controller.
Hi All, I have a WinNT/Ex5.5 to AD 2000/03 and Ex2k3 migration to do. The client is a small company with only about 15 users. The are a network solutions company that needs flexibility so SBS is out of the question. My initial thought was to have 2 Win2k domain controllers/file servers and one Win2k3 member server running Ex2k3. They only have 2 Win2k server licenses and 1 Win2k3 server license. The problem is that they want to be able to use RPC over HTTPs. I understand that requires a 2003 Global Catalogue server. So, my plan of the 2000 DCs doesn't work. My question is:...

Exchange database folder
Hi! I have just installed Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 server and all files (database, mailboxes....) are installed on drive "c:". How could move all on drive "e:" ? Thanks Antonio Grasso Hi Open ESM, navigate to the server -> Mailbox Store -> Properties -> -> Database TAB Click "Brows" for Exchange Database file and brows to the new location Do the same fore the Exchange streaming file Click Apply, after move process finished you notify for it It is highly recommended that you move the Transaction Log to another location then The operatio...

Out of office replies and exchange 2003
I am a bit new to exchange 2003. Can anyone point me in the right direction for out of office replies, meaning, can I set certain addresses to not send them to, like email lists or discussion groups? if so how? thanks Out of office replies to the internet are disabled by default. You can allow them to specific domains under Global Settings. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:50:44 -0700, "tester" <tester@testthis.net> wrote: >I am a bit new to exchange 2003. Can anyone point me in the right direction >for out of office replies, meaning, can I set certain addresses to not ...

Default Exchange Receive Connector
Hi all, I just installed Exchange 2007. There were two receive connectors already setup during install, I have a question on the "Default Exchange Receive Connector." If I want public mail servers to be able to send mail to my exchange server, do I need to enable "Anonymous Users" on the "Permissions Group Tab" of that connector? Robert Exchange Server 2007: internet email without Edge servers http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/07/exchange-server-2007-internet-email.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia....

Changing Interface OWA (exchange 2003)

Exchange 2003...Queues...Find Messages...icons?
I regularily view messages that have been in the queue on Exchange 2003. If I select one of the domains of the messages in the queue and do a find messages I get a window with the various messages. The messages will have an icon beside them that varies. I am unable to find any documentation to describe the significance of the various icons under sender. Here are a few that I have seen: 1) A normal envelope 2) An envelope with a red circle around a red square in the lower right corner 3) no icon Anyone now where I can find a description of these and there significance? TIA R...

Server being used to send out viruses
Problem: When I select "Clients can only submit if homed on this server" in the CONNECTIONS tab in the IMC, my remote POP3 users cannot send email through the server. The email just sits in their Outbox. These POP3 clients do have mailboxes (email accounts) on the server so this should work. When I set my server to ACCEPT CONNECTIONS FROM ANY HOST, my server becomes a target for others (as known as evil people) to use my email server to send out viruses. Any ideas? Thanks, everyone who contributes to this forum. This is great! David Hi, If you are using Exchange, w...

How to remove the exchange public folder?
Hi, We have exchange 5.5 running in our organization. We remove one site from the current organization and would like to know, how can we remove the public folders which replicated when it was on the organization with other sites. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >We have exchange 5.5 running in our organization. We >remove one site from the current organization and would >like to know, how can we remove the public folders which >replicated when it was on the organization with other >sites. > >Thanks >. >you need to open exchange in raw ...

can servers be moved between administrative groups?
Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server once installed to a different administrative group and have also read elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes. Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode, you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different administrative...

How do I view all Global Catalog Servers in Active Directory
Guys, Is there a way to view and confirm all the Global Catalog Servers in Active Directory? I'll appreciate your help.Regards. -- Buchi On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:21:01 -0700, "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Guys, >Is there a way to view and confirm all the Global Catalog Servers in Active >Directory? I'll appreciate your help.Regards. You could in the DNS (dnsmgmt.msc) under the _msdcs folder for your AD domain. or nslookup (ls -t SRV ADdomain.com) or look via Sites and Services or use repadmin: (repadmin /showreps YourDC). The result wi...

SPA vs POP over SSL (SSL for Exchange)
Exchange 5.5 sp4, W2K serve I have a few roaming clients using Outlook with POP to our internal Exchange server. My question is what are the advantages between using SPA Secure Password Authentication vs. POP over SSL I am thinking SPA uses a challenge and response for the password but does not encrypt anything. POP over SSL encrypts everything including password and mail data. So SPA only protects your password from spying eyes. Right? In order to force my users to use SPA, what can I set on my Exchange 5.5 server What do I have to open on my firewall for SPA Also, a while back, I tried ...

Does a 'grace period' exist for Server CALs??
I am presently planning a new Win2k8 R2 DC/TS/AD/DNS server install. I know the TS/RDS CALs have a "grace period" which allows me time to obtain however many additional CALs we need. Does a similar "grace period" exist for the Server CALs per se?? If I don't have enough Server CALs (device) at the time of setting up the server and people's computers connecting to it via Terminal Services/Citrix, what will happen?? I haven't found anything searching the Internet... Thank you, Tom Hello tom12010, See here about the grace periods depending ...

SP2 Exchange default disclaimer
Hello: I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on Standard Exchange 2003 server. Thanks, Cindy I'm running the CTP of Exchange 2003 SP2 and haven't seen that as a feature. "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2D2E367-BEB9-49BF-98D3-5C1AE2D08B03@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on > outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on > Standar...

Store limit in Exchange
I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system to Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store limit of 16GB. If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two server and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the 16GB limit would adding another back end server resolve this? I read in another post that this would double the space. But doing this the users that are currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the new data store server correct? Also since the Enterprise edition allows m...