Relaying Problem

I have Exchange 2000.  I have a Linux box that is running mailman.  The
address of the Linux box is ex: mailman.mydomain.com.

I have an MX record in my DNS for mailman.mydomain.com to point to the Linux
Box.  However, just MyDomain.com points to my exchange box.

Now, when I try to send a message via exchange I get an error: unable to
relay for list@mailman.mydomain.com
Any ideas on why this is happening?  What can I do to fix it?  My web
servers use this Exchange box to subscribe people to mail lists, and I get
tons of errors from this.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Phil

0
Phil

"Phil Grimpo" <pgrimpo at inspirmedia.com> wrote:

>I have Exchange 2000.  I have a Linux box that is running mailman.  The
>address of the Linux box is ex: mailman.mydomain.com.
>
>I have an MX record in my DNS for mailman.mydomain.com to point to the Linux
>Box.  However, just MyDomain.com points to my exchange box.
>
>Now, when I try to send a message via exchange I get an error: unable to
>relay for list@mailman.mydomain.com
>Any ideas on why this is happening?

Yes -- it's working just as it's supposed to. :)

Because your Exchange organization isn't set up to manage mail for the
domain mailman.domain.com, and your Exchange SMTP service is set up to
reject attempts to use it as a SMTP relay (except for authenticated
connections), your attempt to send mail to an unknown domain is
rejected.

>What can I do to fix it?

1. Have your SMTP client authenticate with the SMTP server, or
2. Permit the IP address of the SMTP clients to relay

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I do get the message immediately if I TELNET to the SMTP server, but if I
just send it from here (even from Outlook) it will hold in the Queue for a
few days and then bomb back just saying that it's undeliverable.

First I get a message that the message has been delayed and the following is
attached:

Reporting-MTA: dns;web1.inspirmedia.net
Received-From-MTA: dns;imserver-web1
Arrival-Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:27:08 -0600

Final-Recipient: rfc822;Concordia.Newsletter-request@mailman.inspirmedia.net
Action: delayed
Will-Retry-Until: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:27:08 -0600

And I have problems getting e-mail to some other domains.  Notably
SBCGlobal.net.  Those always seem to come back returned.

Any other ideas?

-Phil

> "Phil Grimpo" <pgrimpo at inspirmedia.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Exchange 2000.  I have a Linux box that is running mailman.  The
> >address of the Linux box is ex: mailman.mydomain.com.
> >
> >I have an MX record in my DNS for mailman.mydomain.com to point to the
Linux
> >Box.  However, just MyDomain.com points to my exchange box.
> >
> >Now, when I try to send a message via exchange I get an error: unable to
> >relay for list@mailman.mydomain.com
> >Any ideas on why this is happening?
>
> Yes -- it's working just as it's supposed to. :)
>
> Because your Exchange organization isn't set up to manage mail for the
> domain mailman.domain.com, and your Exchange SMTP service is set up to
> reject attempts to use it as a SMTP relay (except for authenticated
> connections), your attempt to send mail to an unknown domain is
> rejected.
>
> >What can I do to fix it?
>
> 1. Have your SMTP client authenticate with the SMTP server, or
> 2. Permit the IP address of the SMTP clients to relay
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Phil
1/30/2004 3:07:20 PM
"Phil Grimpo" <pgrimpo at inspirmedia dot com> wrote:

>Actually, the IP Address of the  machine is premitted to relay.
>
>I do get the message immediately if I TELNET to the SMTP server,

You get it when? When you enter the RCPT TO address? From where, the
machine with the permitted IP address? If so, your relay permissions
aren't working.

Do you permit a single IP address to relay, or a subnet to relay? If
the IP address is correct then it's probably an incorrect network mask
thats causing you the problem.

>but if I
>just send it from here (even from Outlook) it will hold in the Queue for a
>few days and then bomb back just saying that it's undeliverable.

Then there's a problem with connectivity or DNS -- or the other server
is refusing your mail.

>First I get a message that the message has been delayed and the following is
>attached:
>
>Reporting-MTA: dns;web1.inspirmedia.net
>Received-From-MTA: dns;imserver-web1
>Arrival-Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:27:08 -0600
>
>Final-Recipient: rfc822;Concordia.Newsletter-request@mailman.inspirmedia.net
>Action: delayed
>Will-Retry-Until: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:27:08 -0600

What does the SMTP protocol log tell you is happening? If there's
nothing there, right-click the queue for that domain and look at its
properties page. At the bottom of the "General" is is the reason why
the queue is in the "retry" state (if that's the state of the queue
when you examine it).

>And I have problems getting e-mail to some other domains.  Notably
>SBCGlobal.net.  Those always seem to come back returned.
>
>Any other ideas?

Not without some specifics. Returned for what reason? Are you
blacklisted anywhere?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Win 7 x64 XP mode problem
XP mode is installed in system together with Virtual PC update. When trying to run XP mode or virtual machine I'm receiving this message: "It is unable to run Windows Virtual PC program in this same time when other program to virtualization is working. Close other program for virtualization and try once again" (sorry for bad translating) First of all I do not have other program to virtualization . Hardware passed test for virtualization and my MB have newest BIOS, restart do not working.. This is my configuration: ------------------------------------------------...

Rules Problem
I just signed up for Yahoo Plus mail and they allow you to create extra disposable accounts and also to retrieve your email with POP3. If you examine the headers of mail sent to a disposable account, the first line says (for example): X-Apparently-To: uvwxyz-abcdefgh@yahoo.com via 216.136.175.157; Sun, 08 I tried writing a rule to move mail to a folder by specifying: X-Apparently-To: uvwxyz-abcdefgh@yahoo.com should appear in the header. Also, I specified for the mail to be moved to a folder and to stop processing rules. This seems to work on maybe 5% of the emails. The r...

GP ver 10 SP 3 Proj Acc Emp Exp problem (again)
Hi Folks I'm logging this again and I see that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem so could some Proj Acc fundi please try and help me and Jeff - it would be appreciated. I'm on PA build no 1215. In both Fabrikam and in my live company if I post an EE entry it arrives in the Payables module but does not get to the GL even though my Post to and Post Through are both marked for the Project and Purchasing series. This happens if I do a Transaction posting or if I do a Batch level post. If I then run Checklinks on Financail and Purchasing I am told that the distrib...

Trying to relay with 5.5
Hi All I have 5.5 SP4 running on 2000 SP3. I recently acquired a script to let our client refer people to our website. The script is co-located. It sends an email to the referee with the referrer's name in the from header. I can receive a referral email if it addressed to me but I can't figure out how to get 5.5 to relay them out to the intended party without letting everyone else do the same! Having a heck of a time with this. It looks as though I will have to install Sendmail as a proxy on our firewall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Jon If you know the IP ...

Problem with email staying in outbox when sending bcc
I have dsl and Office XP. I am current in my updates. When I convert a word document to an email to recipients, and put a group in bcc, it hangs in out box. I have tried copying it to an email and sending it bcc and it still hangs. I have turned off NIS/AV and the Windows firewall. Sometimes when I reconnect at my home, it automatically is sent from outbox. I have verizon dsl in both locations. I can send email putting address in the "to" box with no problem. I have looked at all settings I know of. Can anybody help? Thanks. Bill Sterling ...

Big problems with Outlook 2003
I deleted Hotmail access from Outlook on Thursday, used Outlook without any problems, however, after being away a few days (leaving computer on) I've returned to find I cannot send/receive and cannot access email account profile. I have Detected and Repaired, reinstalled, emptied inbox and deleted items folder but still cannot do anything. The 2 error messages I get up are "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." (this happens when I click New message) and "microsoft office outlook the operation failed...

Menu problem after installing HR
We just installed the HR module. Now when I go to an employee card and click the GO TO button, and select payroll, the BENEFIT and DEDUCTION buttons are both dimmed. These were available before we added HR. Is there some setting that I missed? Found the problem. In user setup, the Use Payroll view was not checked. "Bob Harrison" wrote: > We just installed the HR module. Now when I go to an employee card and click > the GO TO button, and select payroll, the BENEFIT and DEDUCTION buttons are > both dimmed. These were available before we added HR. Is there some setting ...

outgoing SMTP problem
I have a test Exchange 2003 server, running on Windows 2003 server with a weird problem. There have been instances of this server sending multiple copies of files that have large attachments, something that has been seen on another similar instance on Exchange 2003. However my current problem is that all outgoing SMTP queues are clear within Exchange manager. The C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\Vsi 1 subdirectories are all empty, Yet if I stop and start the SMTP service - either with Exchange System manager or directly via services then the server forms an SMTP connection with ...

VLOOKUP problem #15
I have following formula in cell D24 =VLOOKUP(C24,QB_Info!$C$1:$D$50,2,FALSE) I have following value in cell C24: 147873 ------------------------ Scenario #1: My VLOOKUP works fine if I manually key the value 147873 into the cell C24 Scenario #2: The VLOOKUP does not work (I get #N/A) if I COPY and PASTE SPECIAL - VALUES into the same cell C24 Scenario #3: After performing Scenario #3 and getting #N/A, I then place the cursor at the end of the "147873" string (in the formula bar), and press ENTER. The VLOOKUP formula then evaluates properly. Is there some type of terminating ch...

Vlookup problem
we are getting a wording of (#REF!) insteadd of getting the description of the feild even though there a text data in the refrenced field ex:=VLOOKUP(B10,'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My \[calling_.XLS]Customers'!$A$1:$D$58,5,FALSE) Also we have 2 times the same name in column a ex row a1; has data "Joe" row a21; has data "Joe" from were will all data filled if were going to enter in cell b10 =CONCATENATE([calling_.XLS]Customers!$A$21) I'm guessing you have something in your vlookup that includes some concatenation. Can you show the expressio...

Office 2010 Visio Pro or Standard installation problem to terminal
Hi Technet Plus subscriber - have installed Office2010ProPlus and Office2010Project successfully to terminal server using provided keys and downloads on TechNet Plus website. However, keys provided for Office 2010 Visio - either Pro or Std do not allow installation in a term serv environment. I am unable to progress past the product code input dialog. I've looked further using cscript vspp.vbs /dstatusall and noted that there are many different varients of product codes Retail/Retail2/MSDN etc. Is the provided download for Visio the wrong one or simply the keys provided ...

Problem: Signature appears in calendar events
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop I just installed Entourage 2008, and I'm having an issue with my email signature appearing in the notes section for my calendar events. It's an annoying problem, because any notes I make for the calendar event appear below the signature. I can't find a way to turn this off, and if I try to delete the signature it just reappears. <br><br>The signature that's appearing is for a POP email account (not my default one). I should also note that when I installed Entourage 2008 I added an Exchange ...

Outlook 2000 IMO contacts problem
Hi, I had to move an employee's office install to a new profile in a new domain, and when I set her e-mail back up, the contacts do not show up when you go to create a new message and pull info from the contacts folder. I have seen this before with OL2002/2003 and know how to remove and add it back in. When I look for info on how to do this on 2000, all I find are articles on MS web site for the Corporate Workgroup version of OL2000, and it says to go to Tools | Services to start, and I guess on the IMO option, there is no Services selection. Can anyone point me to an article ...

Slow startups
Hi all, this is my first post so hopefully someone can help me. I'm having some problems with my users complaining of Windows taking a very long time to load. I experience the same issues on my Windows 7 laptop, we have various users using Win 7 and XP, i've noticed the same issue on some of the XP machines. I enable the gpo debut on my windows 7 and there is a one minute + delay at one section..i'll copy and paste it below as I have no idea what it means? Edit: I'm not 100% sure where the 1 minute delay is, it's hard to tell but I think it's actually be...

Spheriq Problem
I have an Exchnage 5.5 Server (SP4), with clients running various versions of Outlook. We can send mail without any problem unless the 'to' domain uses INSL/Spheriq. Apparently this is an email filtering service. Support at Spheriq have told me why they are rejecting my mail, but not how to fix my server so that it sends in a format they will accept. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Megan. Message from Speriq: The reason the emails from mycompany1.com.au are not getting through is because they were deleted by SpheriQ because of suspicious characters on the mail....

RPC-over-HTTP password problem
Hello! Im running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP1 and i can successfully connect to my Exchange 2003 server over the Internet. The problem is that i want to store my password so i dont have to type it in everytime. Is it possible? There is no checkbox for saving it... Br, Magnus Gļæ½ransson ...

OWA authentication problem #5
When trying to access mail boxes in my organization trough OWA, I get the login screen; but it doesn't allow me to access them after entering the login information. It seems it is not authenticating. Any ideas? Manolo On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:59:01 -0700, Manolo <Manolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When trying to access mail boxes in my organization trough OWA, I get the >login screen; but it doesn't allow me to access them after entering the login >information. It seems it is not authenticating. >Any ideas? >Manolo Front End / Back End? Integrated Auth?...

title bar problem in Excel 2007
Sometimes when I start Excel for the first time after starting the PC, the title bar is overlaid with the status bar that would normally appear at the bottom of Excel, so I don't get to see the round Office button, and I see the zoom facility at the top, not the bottom, and the workspace is empty - no default empty spreadsheet. If I close Excel (by right clicking on the taskbar because there is X button to be seen) and then start it up, it then starts up fine. Excel was installed as part of Office 2007 SBE, running on Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Is this a known problem? I've not be...

Security Role Problem
We are having a problem with User Security Setup. We generally assigned a user a single Security Role ID such as AP Clerk or AR Clerk. However, no matter what ID they are assigned, they almost always wind up with access to the Financial Groups and Financial Transaction Matching by Account Inquiry Windows. Working our way through all the operations in Security Task Setup to fix this is an endless job so we are looking for a better solution. Anyone else had this problem or knows of a solution? Gene Do you use Great Plains security or Role Based Securty? What version of GP are you u...

Data transformation problem
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this data transformation problem, because I'm working with a big enough dataset that I really don't want to do this by hand (I have neither the time nor the finances). I am using Excel 2003. I have a dataset that looks like this (n=231): subjid jobtitle site dur1 to dur243 freqwk1 to freqwk243 1 A A 30... 15 5...10 2 B A 3 C A 4 A B 5 B B 6 C B In other words, this is a dataset holding the survey responses of 231 par...

Excel 97 problem with naming workbooks
Lately "save as" only records the initial letter of a proposed workboook file name. Any idea where to find the problem? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl And maybe this will help: HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292533 David K wrote: > > Lately "save as" only records the ini...

Strange Problem-How that comes
I am doing a program to mswinsck.ocx for winsocket clients. The program statically linked to MFC library. My am using Visual Studio 6.0 The development system is Win2000pro. SP3 english version. I have a third party software to make the software packed with the .ocx, and ..exe. nothing else to a setup.exe. setup.exe is going to register the .ocx to the target machine When the software installed in an machine with XP SP2 system. It can not get the winsock control available all the time and the program fail. The interesting thing is that if I install the Visual studio on this machine.The softw...

SUMIF Problem #3
I am on Excel 2003 and having difficulty with a seemingly simple function. Month 1 Month 2 Month 3 a 10 100 1000 b 20 200 2000 c 30 300 3000 I want to sum the values where the row matches a. I have in place the following formula: =SUMIF($A$2:$D$10,"a",B2:D10) but it only returns 10, not 1110 as I expected. How can I get it to sum my range across the columns and not just give me the first value? Many thanks Try it like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A10="a")*B2:D10) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "tuafc" <tuafc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

MS Money04 Problem
I am having a problem with Money 2004. Power went out when I was using. Once brought back up, attempted to get into Money and gave me the typical XP message "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." When you look at message it shows: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.613 ModName: mspfctl0.dll ModVer: 12.0.0.613 Offset: 00018412 I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall, but I get as far as restoring my backup. It asks me for a password. I input and then it just gives me the same message as before. I am at wit...

Access 2007 jpeg display problem
Hi All I am using the common dialog routine to insert a pathway to a jpeg To display on a form that worked perfectly well in Access 2000. Now using the same setup everything works as before until the last moment When Access 2007 gives the message "Graphic Filters Not Installed" and the image does not display. I have installed the Graphic Filters from the MS Office 2007 disc..but I still get the same message. Anyone got any ideas? BTW is there any way to check if the Graphic Filters have really been installed. Thanks in a advance ...