Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?

Hi all,

Let's say we have 2 Exchange servers, A & B. (not clustered) All mailboxes
are on A. So B is just like a backup server. I'm thinking if the following
set up could form a certain level of redundancy for receiving email:

1. We set up A & B in the same organization so they see each other.
2. We set up mx records for both A & B. (high priorty for A)
3. Now if for some reason A is broken down for 1 or 2 days, supposedly all
outsiders' email will be directed to B, which is the lower-prioty mx. However
B does not contain any of those mailboxes. So my guess is that all email
would then stuck in the "Queue" folder of server B.
4. 2 days later we get A back online.
5. Will B then deliver all queued email back to the mailboxes on A?

My believe is that a client can connect to any Exchange server 's smtp
service and the email will get delivered to the server that hosts the
corresponding mailbox. Pls let me know if this is not the case. And pls also
let me know if any of the points above doesn't make sense at all.

Thanks a lot!
Akira

0
nospam7515 (2084)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my knowledge, I am afraid the function you listed cannot be
implemented in Exchange Server. First, based on your description, Server B
doesn��t host any mailboxes, if the Server A is offline, and Server B is
online, Server B will direct generate Non-Delivery Report to the sender
instead of restoring the mail in the queue. Even if Server B can store the
mail in the queue, it will not redirect the mails to Server A
automatically.

I suggest you to setup an Exchange Cluster environment with one Active and
one Passive node, they share the hard disk. When the active node is down,
the Passive node takes the ownership.

Basically you could deploy Exchange 2003 in a Cluster by the instruction in
Chapter 7 in Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77B6D819-C7B3-42D1-
8FBB-FE6339FFA1ED&displaylang=en

Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear, feel free to let me know.
Thanks and have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Lee Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWtpcmE=?=" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
| Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:29:06 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
|
| Hi all,
|
| Let's say we have 2 Exchange servers, A & B. (not clustered) All
mailboxes
| are on A. So B is just like a backup server. I'm thinking if the
following
| set up could form a certain level of redundancy for receiving email:
|
| 1. We set up A & B in the same organization so they see each other.
| 2. We set up mx records for both A & B. (high priorty for A)
| 3. Now if for some reason A is broken down for 1 or 2 days, supposedly
all
| outsiders' email will be directed to B, which is the lower-prioty mx.
However
| B does not contain any of those mailboxes. So my guess is that all email
| would then stuck in the "Queue" folder of server B.
| 4. 2 days later we get A back online.
| 5. Will B then deliver all queued email back to the mailboxes on A?
|

| My believe is that a client can connect to any Exchange server 's smtp
| service and the email will get delivered to the server that hosts the
| corresponding mailbox. Pls let me know if this is not the case. And pls
also
| let me know if any of the points above doesn't make sense at all.
|
| Thanks a lot!
| Akira

0
v-leeli (179)
11/30/2004 9:46:55 AM
How about making server B a front-end and server A - a back-end, with having
the only MX record for server B?

Regards,
Boris

"Akira" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Let's say we have 2 Exchange servers, A & B. (not clustered) All mailboxes
> are on A. So B is just like a backup server. I'm thinking if the following
> set up could form a certain level of redundancy for receiving email:
>
> 1. We set up A & B in the same organization so they see each other.
> 2. We set up mx records for both A & B. (high priorty for A)
> 3. Now if for some reason A is broken down for 1 or 2 days, supposedly all
> outsiders' email will be directed to B, which is the lower-prioty mx.
However
> B does not contain any of those mailboxes. So my guess is that all email
> would then stuck in the "Queue" folder of server B.
> 4. 2 days later we get A back online.
> 5. Will B then deliver all queued email back to the mailboxes on A?
>

> My believe is that a client can connect to any Exchange server 's smtp
> service and the email will get delivered to the server that hosts the
> corresponding mailbox. Pls let me know if this is not the case. And pls
also
> let me know if any of the points above doesn't make sense at all.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Akira

0
msexpert1 (171)
11/30/2004 7:08:46 PM
Hi Boris,

Thanks for your update. I truly understand your concern; however, Exchange
Front-End and Back-End Architecture is designed to provide universal URL
for external Outlook Web Access instead of Exchange Redundancy. According
to my knowledge, Exchange Cluster Structure is a better choice to meet your
requirement. If you have any concern about Exchange Cluster, feel free to
let me know. It is always my pleasure to work with you. Thanks and have a
nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Lee Li

--------------------
| From: "Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@community.nospam>
| Subject: Re: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
| Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:08:46 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
|
| How about making server B a front-end and server A - a back-end, with
having
| the only MX record for server B?
|
| Regards,
| Boris
|

| "Akira" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > Hi all,
| >
| > Let's say we have 2 Exchange servers, A & B. (not clustered) All
mailboxes
| > are on A. So B is just like a backup server. I'm thinking if the
following
| > set up could form a certain level of redundancy for receiving email:
| >
| > 1. We set up A & B in the same organization so they see each other.
| > 2. We set up mx records for both A & B. (high priorty for A)
| > 3. Now if for some reason A is broken down for 1 or 2 days, supposedly
all
| > outsiders' email will be directed to B, which is the lower-prioty mx.
| However
| > B does not contain any of those mailboxes. So my guess is that all email
| > would then stuck in the "Queue" folder of server B.
| > 4. 2 days later we get A back online.
| > 5. Will B then deliver all queued email back to the mailboxes on A?
| >

| > My believe is that a client can connect to any Exchange server 's smtp
| > service and the email will get delivered to the server that hosts the
| > corresponding mailbox. Pls let me know if this is not the case. And pls
| also
| > let me know if any of the points above doesn't make sense at all.
| >
| > Thanks a lot!
| > Akira

0
v-leeli (179)
12/2/2004 8:24:13 AM
Hi all,

Clustering's actually not an option 'coz:
1. we don't really need that level of HA; we accept delay but just don't
want to miss any email so all we need is a setup that can temporary store the
email msgs without bouncing back NDRs right away when the mailbox server is
down.
2. in fact, the 2 exchange servers I talked about reside in different sites,
our main site (teh mailbox exchange server) will be down, so i would like the
backup site's exchange server to store the email for a while

Lee, i understand clustering would be the best way to tackle all these but
while it's not feasible in our case, do you think Boris' suggestion would
work? (frontend / backend)

I already have the mailbox-exchange and another exchange (in another site)
in the same organization. I don't mind taking down outgoing email & OWA
services. All that matters is incoming email. We just don't wanna miss any
incoming email. Any suggestions / comments?

Thanks!

"Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Boris,
>
> Thanks for your update. I truly understand your concern; however, Exchange
> Front-End and Back-End Architecture is designed to provide universal URL
> for external Outlook Web Access instead of Exchange Redundancy. According
> to my knowledge, Exchange Cluster Structure is a better choice to meet your
> requirement. If you have any concern about Exchange Cluster, feel free to
> let me know. It is always my pleasure to work with you. Thanks and have a
> nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Lee Li
>
> --------------------
> | From: "Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@community.nospam>
> | Subject: Re: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
> | Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:08:46 -0800
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> |
> | How about making server B a front-end and server A - a back-end, with
> having
> | the only MX record for server B?
> |
> | Regards,
> | Boris
> |

> | "Akira" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi all,
> | >
> | > Let's say we have 2 Exchange servers, A & B. (not clustered) All
> mailboxes
> | > are on A. So B is just like a backup server. I'm thinking if the
> following
> | > set up could form a certain level of redundancy for receiving email:
> | >
> | > 1. We set up A & B in the same organization so they see each other.
> | > 2. We set up mx records for both A & B. (high priorty for A)
> | > 3. Now if for some reason A is broken down for 1 or 2 days, supposedly
> all
> | > outsiders' email will be directed to B, which is the lower-prioty mx.
> | However
> | > B does not contain any of those mailboxes. So my guess is that all email
> | > would then stuck in the "Queue" folder of server B.
> | > 4. 2 days later we get A back online.
> | > 5. Will B then deliver all queued email back to the mailboxes on A?
> | >

> | > My believe is that a client can connect to any Exchange server 's smtp
> | > service and the email will get delivered to the server that hosts the
> | > corresponding mailbox. Pls let me know if this is not the case. And pls
> | also
> | > let me know if any of the points above doesn't make sense at all.
> | >
> | > Thanks a lot!
> | > Akira

0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/6/2004 2:59:05 AM
Front-end is _not_ holding the email, it is just holding the queue if the
back-end is for some reason unavailable. And indeed it will not deliver this
mail to the users.

NDR's are _not_ bouncing back just because your mail server is not
answering. The sender will retry sending during some period of time (default
is usually 3 days). Only then it will generate an NDR.

I would strongly recommend you to follow up with basic SMTP and Microsoft
Exchange design documentation before implementing Exchaneg in two sites.
There are several really good and clear articles on that.

> Hi all,
>
> Clustering's actually not an option 'coz:
> 1. we don't really need that level of HA; we accept delay but just don't
> want to miss any email so all we need is a setup that can temporary store
the
> email msgs without bouncing back NDRs right away when the mailbox server
is
> down.
> 2. in fact, the 2 exchange servers I talked about reside in different
sites,
> our main site (teh mailbox exchange server) will be down, so i would like
the
> backup site's exchange server to store the email for a while
>
> Lee, i understand clustering would be the best way to tackle all these but
> while it's not feasible in our case, do you think Boris' suggestion would
> work? (frontend / backend)
>
> I already have the mailbox-exchange and another exchange (in another site)
> in the same organization. I don't mind taking down outgoing email & OWA
> services. All that matters is incoming email. We just don't wanna miss any
> incoming email. Any suggestions / comments?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Boris,
> >
> > Thanks for your update. I truly understand your concern; however,
Exchange
> > Front-End and Back-End Architecture is designed to provide universal URL
> > for external Outlook Web Access instead of Exchange Redundancy.
According
> > to my knowledge, Exchange Cluster Structure is a better choice to meet
your
> > requirement. If you have any concern about Exchange Cluster, feel free
> > let me know. It is always my pleasure to work with you. Thanks and have
> > nice day!
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> >
> > Lee Li
> >
> > --------------------
> > | From: "Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@community.nospam>
> > | Subject: Re: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
> > | Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:08:46 -0800
> > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> > .phx.gbl
> > |
> > | How about making server B a front-end and server A - a back-end, with
> > having
> > | the only MX record for server B?
> > |
> > | Regards,
> > | Boris
> > |

> > | "Akira" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > mailboxes
> > following

> > all
> > | However

> > | also

0
msexpert1 (171)
12/7/2004 12:43:10 AM
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your update. And thanks Boris for sharing experience.

Yes, considering your situation, what Boris suggested can meet your
requirement. However, the Front-End Server can hold mails within three
days, the NDR will be generated if the Back-End Server will not be online
after 3 days. After further research, I would like to provide the following
suggestions for your information.

1. First set up MX records for both Exchange Servers, and the Exchange
Server you used for Backup server will have also host the SMTP Address in
another Exchange Server so that it can accept all mails to another server
when it is offline.

2. Basically, we cannot hold the mails to another server in SMTP queue of
this Backup Server. So create a mailbox in this Backup Server, and then
create an Event Sink in this which allows the Server to host all mails in
one mailbox.

3. Since Exchange Server doesn't provide built-in POP3 Connector, so
download a third party POP3 connector and install it in normal Exchange
Server. This POP3 connector allows this Exchange Server to drag all mails
in certain mailbox in Backup Server to its own server, and dispatch these
mails to corresponding mailboxes by their SMTP Addresses. For your
information, you can download third party POP3 Connector in the web link
below.

http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm

Note: The third-party product discussed is manufactured by a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding this product's performance or reliability.

This will guarantee that no mail will be lost even the normal server will
not be online within three days. Hope this helps. If there is anything
unclear, feel free to let me know. Thanks and have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Lee Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWtpcmE=?=" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Re: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
| Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:59:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
|
| Hi all,
|
| Clustering's actually not an option 'coz:
| 1. we don't really need that level of HA; we accept delay but just don't
| want to miss any email so all we need is a setup that can temporary store
the
| email msgs without bouncing back NDRs right away when the mailbox server
is
| down.
| 2. in fact, the 2 exchange servers I talked about reside in different
sites,
| our main site (teh mailbox exchange server) will be down, so i would like
the
| backup site's exchange server to store the email for a while
|
| Lee, i understand clustering would be the best way to tackle all these
but
| while it's not feasible in our case, do you think Boris' suggestion would
| work? (frontend / backend)
|
| I already have the mailbox-exchange and another exchange (in another
site)
| in the same organization. I don't mind taking down outgoing email & OWA
| services. All that matters is incoming email. We just don't wanna miss
any
| incoming email. Any suggestions / comments?
|
| Thanks!
|

| "Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Boris,
| >
| > Thanks for your update. I truly understand your concern; however,
Exchange
| > Front-End and Back-End Architecture is designed to provide universal
URL
| > for external Outlook Web Access instead of Exchange Redundancy.
According
| > to my knowledge, Exchange Cluster Structure is a better choice to meet
your
| > requirement. If you have any concern about Exchange Cluster, feel free
| > let me know. It is always my pleasure to work with you. Thanks and have
| > nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Lee Li
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@community.nospam>
| > | Subject: Re: Redundancy with 2 exchange mx servers?
| > | Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:08:46 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
| > .phx.gbl
| > |
| > | How about making server B a front-end and server A - a back-end, with
| > having
| > | the only MX record for server B?
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > | Boris
| > |
| > |
| > | "Akira" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

| > mailboxes
| > following

| > all
| > | However

| > | also

| > |
| > |
| > |

0
v-leeli (179)
12/7/2004 8:15:43 AM
"However, the Front-End Server can hold mails within three days, the NDR
will be generated if the Back-End Server will not be online after 3 days."

==
This is not exactly correct. The expiration timeouts can be configured in
the properties of an SMTP server and can be set to whatever time is better
for your specific needs. You should just remember that longer timeouts are
dangerous since they can lead to enormous mail queues that are able to
overload the server and disk subsystem.

Default SMTP server values for external mail (expiration timeout and delay
notification time) are 2 days and 12 hours, not 3 days.

Regards,
Boris

"Lee Li [MSFT]" <v-leeli@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> | services. All that matters is incoming email. We just don't wanna miss
> any
> | incoming email. Any suggestions / comments?
> |
> | Thanks!
> |

> | "Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Boris,
> | >
> | > Thanks for your update. I truly understand your concern; however,
> Exchange
> | > Front-End and Back-End Architecture is designed to provide universal
> URL
> | > for external Outlook Web Access instead of Exchange Redundancy.
> According
> | > to my knowledge, Exchange Cluster Structure is a better choice to meet
> your
> | > requirement. If you have any concern about Exchange Cluster, feel free
> | > let me know. It is always my pleasure to work with you. Thanks and

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
> | > .phx.gbl
> | > |
> | > having
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > mailboxes
> | > following

> supposedly
> | > all
> mx.
> email
A?

> smtp
> the
And
> pls

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

0
msexpert1 (171)

export/import Exchange mail
Please let me know if this can be done: 1. I have two Exchange servers running in different domains A and B 2. Server A has 10 users and have email and AD entries for these users 3. Server A is a new box and only has AD entries and no email in email boxes Is there a way to export the mail messages, and other records from the old Exchange mail boxes of the server A and then import it into the corresponding mailboxes of a new Server B? ibsys If they're in the same forest, the both Exchange servers should be in the same organization, and you can use the Move Mailbox Wizard. If they'...

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Exchange in SBS2003 R2