I recently added an Exchange 2003 server to the same org as a 2000 server.  I
have dbs from the 2000 server that I need to restore to retrieve email from a
user whose mailbox was moved to 2003.  So I need to restore the db for that
mailbox from BEFORE it was moved because when you move mailboxes you lose any
deleted items that were being saved by retention policy.

Is this possible?  I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 10 but nothing in their
support KB seems to follow this exact scenario.

If it helps, the old Exch 2000 server is currently empty of users and is
ready to be uninstalled.  Would it be easier to just restore the db to that
server (which is where it was backed up from)?  But would there be issues if
I restore a db that contains mailboxes that have been moved to a different
exchange server?  Basically the mailbox would now exist in 2 different
servers.  Would it just be orphaned on the 2000 server and then I could
reattach it to a different user?

Thanks in advance for any help.

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:55:03 -0800, Ed Ingram <Ed
Ingram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently added an Exchange 2003 server to the same org as a 2000 server.  I
>have dbs from the 2000 server that I need to restore to retrieve email from a
>user whose mailbox was moved to 2003.  So I need to restore the db for that
>mailbox from BEFORE it was moved because when you move mailboxes you lose any
>deleted items that were being saved by retention policy.
>
>Is this possible?  I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 10 but nothing in their
>support KB seems to follow this exact scenario.

You have nowhere in production to restore it to so you will need to
set up alternative hardware and restore to it, then do an exmerge to a
PST file.

>If it helps, the old Exch 2000 server is currently empty of users and is
>ready to be uninstalled.

Exchange is going to throw a fit if you try to do what you think you
want to.

>Would it be easier to just restore the db to that
>server (which is where it was backed up from)?  But would there be issues if
>I restore a db that contains mailboxes that have been moved to a different
>exchange server?  Basically the mailbox would now exist in 2 different
>servers.  Would it just be orphaned on the 2000 server and then I could
>reattach it to a different user?

Stop everything. Do a DR install and restore off-lan and then get the
mail out.

>Thanks in advance for any help.

0
mark7219 (5666)

Error during Exchange Backup
Hello All, I am writing an application to backup and restore M.S. Exchange server programatically. I am using the Exchange Backup and Restore API and am developing the application in VC++ 6.0 on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Editioon. I am able to do the backup successfully but I am getting error in the function "HrESERestoreAddDatabase" during the resore. I am trying to call the function HrESERestoreComplete as follows: //<step 8> //HrESERestoreComplete CString strTempLocationPath; CString strTempLocationPath1; strTempLocationPath = _T("C:\\viraj\\exchangedata_b...

System State Backup Fails repeatedly
This is happening on a SBS 2003 Premium Server (SP2 installed). This has been an ongoing issue since a Raid 1 Array / Controller (Promise TX2300) has been added to the system. THe old RAID 1 array (Silicon Image) is still in the system, but the drive letters where changed to higher letters for the sake of having the ability to copy data from old to new. THe server appears to function normally other than this problem. The OS and data was restored to the new new raid array using Windows Backup. The same original drive letters are still there, just now mapping to the volumes o...

Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard problem!
I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a fine job of storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting A2K Runtime. However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website. The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work for me. I get the following error message, Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll I...

Most recommended Exchange book?
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a good "must have" Exchange 2003 reference book to keep around the office. Something more geared for an all encompasing and easy to use reference guide than certification testing would be appropriate. Thanks! On Mar 13, 8:46 am, Chris Lukowski <ChrisLukow...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a good "must have" Exchange > 2003 reference book to keep around the office. Something more geared for an > all encompasing and easy to use reference guide than certificati...

Outlook 2003
I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either the subject or text body...or both. For example: looking for an email message about a specific invoice number 12345. Now, it does not find the number even when I know it's there....and can find it by hunting on my own. Thanks for any help you can offer~ "Hello_It''''s_Me-CA" <HelloItsMeCA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B942C394-5363-49BE-AFB3-04E34C1CE4BF@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either > t...

Outlook 2000 error msg.
I am running XP on a Dell 8200. I've been using Outlook 2000 for a long time now and all of the sudden I get the following msg: unable to open default e-mail folder. C:\Documents and Settings\tdiehl\application data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.Pst. I have inserted MO-2000 CD and tried to repair and removed the program completely from machine and reinstalled. NO luck. Any ideas??? How big is your pst file? "Ted D." <tdiehl@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:03ae01c34803$5bb55ca0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am running XP on a Dell 8200. I've been using Outlook...

Publisher 2003 Viewer is needed
Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for the other programs in Office? Can they? Yes Will they? Unlikely Mike Larry M. in Illinois wrote: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for > the other programs in Office? Larry M. in Illinois <Larry M. in Illinois@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they > have for the other programs in Office? Could they? Yes Is it profitable for them to do so? Probably not. W...

Second SMTP Server
I have two Exchange servers in the same domain. They are in two separate admin groups. They are on two separate subnets. Inter-Organizational mail works fine. They have one routing group connector between the two. These two servers are on opposite sides of the globe. Server 1 is in the U.S. and sends Internet addresses SMTP directly to its destination just fine. Server 2 is in Europe, and will not send Internet addressed SMTP mail at all. The mail just sits in a queue, and says retry. This appears to be a two fold problem. 1. Server 2 does not send the Internet addressed SMTP mail to S...

Outlook 2003 #224
When I print from Outlook I get the following screen: A dialog box opens and says An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 1344 Char: 1 Error: Unspecified Error Code: 0 URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg All other applications work. Bob 5132361210 ...

Outlook 2003 hyperlinking error
Have just installed Outlook 2003, when I click on a html link within an email it opens my default web browser however the link appears in the browser with these additional symbols which stop the requested site from loading eg: http://%1%20http://www.microsoft.com Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Its driving me nuts. ...

Trying to install Microsoft CRM with OutLook on Windows 2000
When trying install MS CRM 1.2 disk 2 (Sales for Outlook), I am prevented from completing the install as I get the message "installation failed" "you must install SQL Desktop Server Engine separately". When trying to install it separately the setup seems to start running then stops after extracting files and doesn't complete. There are no error messages and nothing in the Event Viewer ? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for your help. Hi Installation take bit time,you have to wait.it updates with sp-3 etc.. Regards, Bhaskar.T "dhawgood" ...

Visio 2003: Custom Toolbars disappear
Sorry for the cross-posting, but I didn't get any responses in the visio.troubleshoot NG. I recently upgraded to Visio 2003 and have a perplexing problem. When I create a custom toolbar--or even when I customize a standard toolbar--they do not appear the next time I load Visio. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of recreating my custom toolbar every day! Thanks, Dave Go to View/Toolbars/ and you should see the list of customized toolbars you have made at the bottom of the menu. Selecting them will make them appear I tried to duplicate the problem you are having with seeing a standard ...

Summary of Difference between dates in years, months, days
I need to calculate the difference between 2 dates and then total them. Here's what I have so far: From To Length of Service 01/09/2003 31/01/2010 6y 4m 30d 01/06/2000 30/11/2002 2y 5m 29d Total of Service: ?????????? I've used the following formula to calculate the total days worked: =DATEDIF(A4,B4,"Y")&"y "&DATEDIF(A4,B4,"ym")&"m "&DATEDIF(A4,B4,"md&...

Exchange Router / Deployment Manager
Hi, we have two diffrent issues with CRM 3.0. (But i think they belong togehter, perhaps?) 1. In Deployment Manager i can't browse the domain. (all windows are empty) But i can add users via web interface. 2. On the Exchange -> CRM E-Mail Router -> All users which i have added via Web GUI generate a "Failure" by locating the CRM Users with the Rule Deployment Wizard Thanks for your help! Have you managed to resolve this issue as we're facing the same problem. Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Nick. "TN" wrote: > Hi, > &g...

Restore messages from Exchange database
Our SBS2000 crashed the other day without a backup of Active Directory. We now only have a backup of the exchange database (edb and stm files). The domain has been recreated from fresh and 5 computers were re-joined the domain. Exchange also were installed. Question: what would be the right way to restore the messages from the edb and stm backup copy? Thank you in advance! -jesk Jesk You'll have to recreate the Exchange org and do a restore. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx Unless you have a flat file recovery tool like Quest R...

Moving Email Domain off of Exchange #2

Automatically redirecting profiles to a new exchange server?
OK old exchange server was SERVEROLD and new one is SERVERNEW (for arguments sake). The pc has lots of different profiles on it and I dont wanna manually change each profile to reflect the new server. Running Outlook 2002 is there a way to automatically do this? I believe I can use a prf file created using Custom Wizards from the Office Resource Kit and deploy this to do this for me. Can anyone give any more detailed info on how this can be done? Thanks <carlosvenegas@jellybeandesign.co.uk> wrote in message news:1132785375.328184.274520@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > OK ol...

Works in 2003 but not 2007
When I reference the below function in 2003 I get function displayed... now in 2007 I get #NAME? Any idea what I need to change/set in 2007 so it will run this function? Function formulaText(x As Range) 'returns the text equivalent of formula in upper left cell in range x 'example: =formulatext(a1) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet 'example: =formulatext(a1:b5) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet formulaText = x.Cells(1, 1).Formula End Function Thanks, Mark Mark, It works fine for me. Are you stored in a stan...

Update Existing Purchase Orders with New Exchange Rate
Hello, I have existing Purchase Orders in Great Plains 8.0 were some of the line items have been received is there a way to change the exchange rate for the remaining line items and any new line items added? Thanks, Brian M. Database Administrator ...

mail server
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'shawmail.ed.shawcable.net', Server: 'shawmail.ed.shawcable.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 That is what i recieve after setting up a new identity. A box pops up with my username and a password, but i don't know what the password is or why my account will not authorize. why wont it work?? This is on Outlook Express-making a new identity "Soph...

Outlook 2003 Personal Address Book forwarding problem
This Outlook 2003 is connected to a Exchange 5.5 Server The problem is this, everytime I try to forward any e-mail and use any distribution list on the Personal Address Book it does not want to send the e-mail but if I try to send it any other way it works fine. Thanks ...