Recovery Storage Groups on seperate server

Environment - One Exchange 2003 Standard Server SP2 on Windows 2003 Server
SP1 with one Storage Group - 4 databases under that storage group.

Problem - Currently I am expermenting in our test environment with the use
of Recovery Groups in an attempt to create a more timely DR process. Is there
anyway to have the restored databases for a Recovery Storage Group on a
seperate server from the original databases? In other words can you somehow
point the recovery storage groups to something other than a local drive? I've
attempted trying to point just using a mapped network drive, but receive an
error that the Recovery Storage Group can not access a database that is not
on a local drive. Right now I don't have enough storage on my Exchange Server
for both growth and supporting recovery storage groups. I can add more disk
space, but I'd like to know if there is a way to accomplish this without the
cost of adding more disks. Thank you in advance.
Ryan

the drive where you're restoring has to appear as a local drive...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Ryan Novagrp" <RyanNovagrp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Environment - One Exchange 2003 Standard Server SP2 on Windows 2003 Server
> SP1 with one Storage Group - 4 databases under that storage group.
>
> Problem - Currently I am expermenting in our test environment with the use
> of Recovery Groups in an attempt to create a more timely DR process. Is
there
> anyway to have the restored databases for a Recovery Storage Group on a
> seperate server from the original databases? In other words can you
somehow
> point the recovery storage groups to something other than a local drive?
I've
> attempted trying to point just using a mapped network drive, but receive
an
> error that the Recovery Storage Group can not access a database that is
not
> on a local drive. Right now I don't have enough storage on my Exchange
Server
> for both growth and supporting recovery storage groups. I can add more
disk
> space, but I'd like to know if there is a way to accomplish this without
the
> cost of adding more disks. Thank you in advance.
> Ryan

0
sconkey (3059)
4/19/2006 6:24:27 PM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:18:01 -0700, Ryan Novagrp
<RyanNovagrp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Environment - One Exchange 2003 Standard Server SP2 on Windows 2003 Server
>SP1 with one Storage Group - 4 databases under that storage group.
>
>Problem - Currently I am expermenting in our test environment with the use
>of Recovery Groups in an attempt to create a more timely DR process. Is there
>anyway to have the restored databases for a Recovery Storage Group on a
>seperate server from the original databases? In other words can you somehow
>point the recovery storage groups to something other than a local drive? I've
>attempted trying to point just using a mapped network drive, but receive an
>error that the Recovery Storage Group can not access a database that is not
>on a local drive. Right now I don't have enough storage on my Exchange Server
>for both growth and supporting recovery storage groups. I can add more disk
>space, but I'd like to know if there is a way to accomplish this without the
>cost of adding more disks. Thank you in advance.
>Ryan

Add the disk space or add another Exch server to the org and use that
for the RSG.
0
adavid (8731)
4/19/2006 6:29:08 PM
Thanks Andy for the suggestion. Now if I add another Exchange server to the
org, I just create a new storage group with 4 "empty" databases to reflect my
current databases, then use these newly created database to hook the recovery
storage groups to?

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> Add the disk space or add another Exch server to the org and use that
> for the RSG.

no need for that...you would only need to create a Recovery Storage Group,
then add the Store you want to restore, and restore the database...no need
for any other empty databases...

--

> Thanks Andy for the suggestion. Now if I add another Exchange server to
the
> org, I just create a new storage group with 4 "empty" databases to reflect
my
> current databases, then use these newly created database to hook the
recovery
> storage groups to?
>
> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>

> > Add the disk space or add another Exch server to the org and use that
> > for the RSG.

0
sconkey (3059)
4/19/2006 8:33:46 PM
Great, thanks Susan. I think I just jumped the gun. When I first installed
Exchange on the second server, and went to add a database to the recovery
storage group it only listed the local default database on the newly added
exchange server. I think it just needed some time to replicate the schema in
AD for the databases on the server to show up. Everything worked as
advertised. Thanks to you both for your quick responses.

Ryan

"Susan" wrote:

> no need for that...you would only need to create a Recovery Storage Group,
> then add the Store you want to restore, and restore the database...no need
> for any other empty databases...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Ryan Novagrp" <RyanNovagrp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Andy for the suggestion. Now if I add another Exchange server to
> the
> > org, I just create a new storage group with 4 "empty" databases to reflect
> my
> > current databases, then use these newly created database to hook the
> recovery
> > storage groups to?
> >
> > "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
> >

> > > Add the disk space or add another Exch server to the org and use that
> > > for the RSG.

Group by CNT
Anyone who has a sample of Query which make a group of a COUNT of a text field. (I have about 15000 records which I would like to have presented in bulks of 500). Thanks, JohS One way is to use two queries. First add a number field to your table named Group. Create a select query and edit the SQL like this -- SELECT TOP 500 .... Change it to an update query and put a prompt to update the number field. Create another select query and add a prompt in the criteria of the number field. When you run the update query it fills the number field of 500 records with the number you supply...

HQ Server Runtime Error
I am getting a message from HQServer that says "The specified path Cannot be found". After clicking OK to that msgbox, HQServer closes. I know this is very little information, but HQServer takes so few parameters, I can't think of what "Path" HQServer could be refering to. Any help would be appreciated. It's probably one of the paths set up in HQ Administrator, Configuration. These paths tell HQ Manger where to look for things like reports and templates... Most likely a network path that the windows user you logged in as does not have access to, or on a ma...

Multiple connections from ADP to SQL Server with OpenConnection
I have an ADP project with a back end SQL Server. I'm using the following code to connect to the database. But this will only allow me one user to connect using the front end ADP. Once the first user has logged on a second user cannot seem to connect as it can't open anotehr connection. Does anyone know how I can overcome this or is there a way of specifying/allowing multiple connections? Application.CurrentProject.OpenConnection _ "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;" _ + "Persist Security Info=false;" _ + "Initial Catalog=" & strDa...

Money 2006 Small Business and SQL Server
Greetings, all! I would like to integrate Money 2006 Small Business with SQL Server, but I'm not looking for anything extensive... Does anyone know whether I can: 1. Use a SQL Server contacts database to provide Money with contact information (rather than entering it again into Money)? 2. Output financial data from Money to SQL Server. This is not a high priority need. If it cannot be done directly, I know I can use Excel as a midpoint. My main interest is in being able to use my SQL Server based DB for all my contact information in every application that uses contact data, ...

Reporting Services
Hi, I have 3 questions (effectively the same if the answer is no to no1) My client wishes to use the IIS Server as the host of the Report Server website. The database will be held on the SQL Server. 1. They wish to however have users design the reports on the SQL Server - is this possible? and if so what components need to be installed on the IIS BOx and what need to be installed on the SQL Server? 2. I know that once Report Server is installed on the IIS Box you use the configuration wizard to point the database to the SQL Server and am happy with this - but I cannot then figure out ...

Why Won't An Email To A Group Send?
Entourage 11.4.0 Ibook G4 OS 10.4.11 Hi, This is the first time I've done anything with 'Groups' in my address book. I created a folder for a New Group in Contacts I placed 74 contacts as addressees on an email Before sending, I saved the email Then I went to: Tools-and I "Link To Existing Group" I opened the Group window in Contacts The window had no addresses. I clicked "Save" I got the message "The Group contains no recipients. Please add one or more recipients." I added my address. Clicked 'Save' No error message. Clos...

Upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 & changing physicall servers
Hello! I have question regarding physicall server change when upgrading CRM from 3.0 to 4.0? Does change of physicall server change situation with upgrade if I want all data to be also in new CRM? Thank you in advance for help. Is your new physical server going to be 32 bits or 64 bits OS? Review the following link for ideas: http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A2586C4AB938C065!310.entry Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Liega Buracevska" wrote: > Hello! > I have question regarding physicall server change when upgradi...

Exchange 2003 virtual server config
Currently my existing mail server has 1 SMTP virual server with settings: Authentication: yes Anonymous, no resolve anonymous email, no basic authetication, yes integrated windows authentication. Connection: All except list below, list is empty Relay: Only list below, list contains an old (now) unused IP, no allow all computers which successfully authenticate, regardless of list above. Users: Authenticated Users can submit and relay. This results in my server denying all SMTP connections to clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, and 3rd part SMTP senders like Backup Exec or What's up...

email sending to a group name error
I will be grateful for any help on the following. I have a short macro that sends an email message; the receipient’s address is held in a cell = s_Config.Range("Config_Email") When the receipient is a single address this works fine, but if it is sent to a group name;ie, several different people, then it errors out but usually the message is actually sent I show below the code I am using ESubject = Successful" Sendto = s_Config.Range("Config_Email") EBody = "Operation is successful" Set App = CreateObject("Outlook.Appli...

Not quite a GC server
The primary Win 2003 DC crashed, so I promoted my alternate DC. However, unable to get all roles transferred (seized) OK. Even though I was logged in as the EnterpriseAdmin/SchemaAdmin, NTDSutil said that I did not have permission to seize the schema master role. dcdiag reports that the new DC "...has not finished promoting to be a GC." and "...is not advertising as a global catalog." For the Schema Owner role, it also shows the original DC, instead of the new one. Then I ran 'dsquery server -isgc' and it said that the new DC was the GC. This is ...

Storage Limit Question #3
I have roughly 3 GB of "whitespace" after the online defrag. I am still logging ESE warnings in the event log that states the store is at capacity. I am under the assumption that the store won't crash while it still has the whitespace. Is that correct or do I need to do an offline defrag ASAP to keep the server up and running? Thanks for the help ahead of time. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:09:10 -0700, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have roughly 3 GB of "whitespace" after the online defrag. I am still >logging ESE warnings in...

Auto-reply at the server level
I have a client that has one generic email address that is mailbox enabled. It will receive messages at all hours from all over the country and this is why I need my solution to run at the server level. Right now we have an outlook client running with several rules on it to manipulate the messages the way we want. This is what we are wanting to get away from. The following is what I need: 1. a message comes to email@domain.com and it either has an attachment or it doesn't. a. if it has an attachment then it sends the autoreply message A, says thank you, then forward...

Activating groups i protected sheet
Hi I have several groups in a worksheet. The sheet is also protected, but this prevents me from activating (opening/closing) the groups. How do i cirkumvent this, without un-protecting the sheet? Thanks! /Sune If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember...

Multiple Exchange Servers on one domain
Is it possible for two exchange servers to use the same domain name with each accepting mail for specific addresses? I have two sites several thousand miles apart that are on the same network but I would prefer that they each have a local exchange server rather than a centralized one. Can this be done without some type of replication solution? "MJG" <MJG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0754729A-03D9-47E8-BFCD-AA66DF275249@microsoft.com... > Is it possible for two exchange servers to use the same domain name with > each > accepting mail for sp...

There is a way to configure AutoArchive using Group policy
I want to configure AutoArchive on a number of machines and I want to configure it so that the archive.pst is on a specific location on a server share. There is a way using Group Policy or registry hacking to set up outlook 2002 clients automatically? Thank you, Marco Malatesta ...

AOL POP server folder got empty by Outlook without notification
Using just AOL Email does not empty AOL Server Folder. I can eccess my Mail from any remote PC. If open my Microsoft Outlook it empties AOL Server Email Folder. Please, Help how avoid empty AOL Email Server Folder -- Ilya Thats the default behaviour for a pop account, unless you select the option to 'Leave a copy on the server' When using the web mail interface you are seeing what is on the server "Ilya" <Ilya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0133F67A-209D-4D1D-AE5A-7DB55F1A0958@microsoft.com... > Using just AOL Email does not empty...

cannot delegate task to someone in project server 2003
In Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3), we cannot delegate tasks. When we try to delegate a task, the Windows Internet Explorer status bar indicate that an error has occurred. If we click Error on the status bar, we see information that resembles the following information: Char: 5 Error: 'document.frames.idExecASP.document.all.nErr.value' is null or not an object Code: 0 URL: http://cdc-ho-epm/ProjectServer/Tasks/DelegatePage.asp?NumNotDeleg-0 Please guide me in this regard that how do we solve this issue. ...

when an exchange server 2003 goes down
4 servers are running under Windows 2003 active directory. Exchange server 2003 is up and running without a glitch. We're nor using clusters. Almost everything is redundant (hardware and real time files replication from server to server) That told, I would like to add a level of redundancy to the exchange server in the event that something goes wrong. Can you point me out to something I could work on? thank you Thomas That really depends on your budget. For starters I would establish solid backup plan after doing a lot of research, test it a frequently, and do save those transact...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

Unable to get online updates from quotes server
I am not able to get a successful update to my quotes list online. Problem grew progressively worse as I added to my Portfolio - I have about 50 quotes on the list. I connect through a cable modem with no firewall. All other on-line updates with financial instituions work OK. I have cleared the quotes list several times. I sign on with a Microsoft NET passport login. What am I missing - or is the quotes server always down??? You're not missing anything. I've tried off and on since I bough 2002 in 2002. It worked the first time but never worked again since then. I have DSL and M...

2k3 Server, Send As Permissions Dissapear
Hi We are running an Exchange 2k3 on a 2k3 SBS and have been adding Domain Users Send As permission for some accounts. The Domain Users seem to 'dissapear' from the Security Tab after a short period. I am assuming that this is an inheritance problem? Any help would be much appreciated Thanks B ...

remove OWA from BE server.
I have an Exchange 2003 org in native mode. I have dedicated FE servers running OWA. Is there a way to remove OWA from the BE servers? My first thought was to do a redirect to the FE servers. Is this the proper way? And is this going to affect anything on the BE servers. thanks Jason Your FE's redirect OWA to the backend/s. Thus you don't want to remove it. /o "WonderBoy" <WonderBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4898B6DC-3BFE-4B1D-B50C-02B9666DBEAD@microsoft.com... > I have an Exchange 2003 org in native mode. I have dedicated FE...

DPM 2007 Server Backup and Restore DR Plan
We have a single DPM 2007 server with a local database and the replica volumes on an iSCSI LUN (NetApp). I am looking at planning a disaster recovery of the server and was wonder if the following plan would work. Environment Widows Server 2008 R2 DPM 2007 Local SQL Server Replica Volume on iSCSI LUN (NetApp) 6.5 TB of used space Option 1 Backup Perform Manual backup of the SQL Server DPM database Restore Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Setup Microsoft iSCSI Initiator to mount replica volume Install local SQL Server 2008 Install DPM 2007 Stop DPM servi...

Hanging When saving to server
A user is on Excel 2000 and Windows XP and can open excel files fine from the server. Having made a few changes he tries to save either through the button or save as and it sits there with blue bars for some 2-3 minutes and does nothing but hang. Anyone got any ideas on this at all ? We have even tried reinstalling excel with no effect. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped drives that are not currently available. Nick B wrote: > A user is on Excel 2000 and Windows XP and can open excel files fi...

����� Windows, Office,Server
����� Windows ����� Office -2000/XP/2003 mssoft@bk.ru � ������ ������������ �� Microsoft ������ �� �-���� mssoft@bk.r -- mssof ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mssoft's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3697 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56691 ...