Recovering a message

I am fairly new to exhchange in general and am now migrating from 5.5 to 2003.  I have turned on message tracking in 2003 but I don't see where we could actually recover the message itself.  How do I keep copies of messages in an admin folder and then recover them when  we need them.  Lets assume that disk space is not a 'major' issue.
0
anonymous (74722)

Message tracking isn't what you want, then - you want journaling (a copy of
all inbound/outbound mail for a particular store is directed to a mailbox).

What is it you're trying to do? This is going to make your backups a lot
more complicated unless you keep the mailbox cleaned out...

Chip wrote:
> I am fairly new to exhchange in general and am now migrating from 5.5
> to 2003.  I have turned on message tracking in 2003 but I don't see
> where we could actually recover the message itself.  How do I keep
> copies of messages in an admin folder and then recover them when  we
> need them.  Lets assume that disk space is not a 'major' issue.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/2/2003 5:36:00 PM
In the Exchange Administrators console you will need to enable deleted item
retention.  Select Administrative Group > Servers > Your Server >First
Storage Group >Mailbox Store> Go to Properties by right mouse clicking and
the go to the Limits Tab.  Select the numbers of days to retain deleted
items and select the box "Do not permanently delete mailboxes and items
until the store has been backed up".  Be warned that this can add
considerable to the Private Stores size.

"Chip" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am fairly new to exhchange in general and am now migrating from 5.5 to
2003.  I have turned on message tracking in 2003 but I don't see where we
could actually recover the message itself.  How do I keep copies of messages
in an admin folder and then recover them when  we need them.  Lets assume
that disk space is not a 'major' issue.

0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/2/2003 5:47:37 PM
What your looking for is called 'deleted item retention' and its set on the
properties
page of each database.  Once set, when an item is deleted in outlook it goes
to a
hidden folder and is only accessible for the amount of
time set on the deleted item retention period.  To access the hidden folder
highlight
your deleted items folder and then go to "Tools", "Recover deleted items".

If a user hard deletes an item (shift+delete) then it will bypass deleted
item retention
and is deleted for good.  Here are some KB articles on the subject:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178630&Product=exch2k
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;228934

Todd

"Chip" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am fairly new to exhchange in general and am now migrating from 5.5 to
2003.  I have turned on message tracking in 2003 but I don't see where we
could actually recover the message itself.  How do I keep copies of messages
in an admin folder and then recover them when  we need them.  Lets assume
that disk space is not a 'major' issue.

0
tbooher (148)
12/2/2003 5:55:35 PM
     It's a good discussion . I have tried recovering deleted items . It's working for MailBoxes , but not for personal  folders . After making the registry change i can see the Recover Deleted items option is highlighted . But when i click on it I can't see deleted Items In the window . Please help me .

0
anonymous (74722)
12/3/2003 1:31:14 PM
this will not work with personal folders...

"Anand Chinthala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>      It's a good discussion . I have tried recovering deleted items . It's
working for MailBoxes , but not for personal  folders . After making the
registry change i can see the Recover Deleted items option is highlighted .
But when i click on it I can't see deleted Items In the window . Please help
me .

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/3/2003 3:50:39 PM
"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote:

>this will not work with personal folders...

Nor can you recover deleted items from an OST. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

pop3 connector not delievering messages to users.
Yesterday I moved my exchange store in SBS2003 from one drive (C:) to another drive (D:), because c: was full. Shortly after that I started experiencing my problem. When someone send a message to me it goes to my pop account. Then the message gets downloaded via the pop3 connector. However it never gets to the users mailbox. I have mounted and dismounted the store several times. Also I hva restarted the server several times. Anyone have any ideas? In news:66AD2A7D-98C7-4DF7-B7F9-CE4E28D40568@microsoft.com, Jason <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Yesterday I moved my e...

transfer email messages to new pc
Does anyone know how to transfer email messages from Outlook Express 6 from an old pc to a new pc? "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:135f01c4265d$6009de50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to transfer email messages from > Outlook Express 6 from an old pc to a new pc? Backup and Restore OE http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program despite the similar name. For help with your OE q...

I cannot access the web via a link in an emil message
When I click on an internet link in a message I'm told the action was cancelled due to restrictions on the computer and to contact system administrator. I'm the only user on the machine and not linked to a network. I am the administrator and this never used to happen. How can I change this to allow access> See this webpage for some possible solutions: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm "Ieuan" <Ieuan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

I don't get all my messages on laptop but do on blackberry
For a while, I did receive all my messages in Outlook on my laptop, but for the last week, reciept is spotty -- I know that because I get all my messages on my blackberry. Any ideas what to do? Do you have your blackberry set to remove messages from the server after download? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Blondie asked: | For a while, I did receive all my messages in Outlook on my laptop, | bu...

Changing sublect line of an incoming message.
Hello all: I use Outlook 2003 at work, and I subscribe to a ListServ mailing list. My rules have all of the messages from this list put into a separate folder. Within this folder, I like to group messages by conversation threads. The only problem is, when the messages arrive, for some reason there usually is about 5 or 6 spaces at the front of the subject line. Therefore, the threads end up being split into 2 separate threads: One containing the original subject, and one containing the " Re: <subject>". I *think* this is occurring as a result of the preceding spaces in t...

message get stayed in outbox
Hi, I HAVE SIX MESSAGES STAYED IN MY OUTBOX.I COULDNT SEND THEM. I TRIED LIKE RESTARTING SYSTEM.IT DIDNT HELP ME. IT LOOKS ITALICIZED WHEN I CLICK SEND.BUT NO RESPONSE TO THAT.STILL STAYS THERE.WHAT IS SOLUTION THIS PROBLEM. IT IS OUTLOOK 2002..I AM NOT SURE ABOUT SERVICE PACK. THANK YOU.. deepan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I HAVE SIX MESSAGES STAYED IN MY OUTBOX.I COULDNT SEND > THEM. > I TRIED LIKE RESTARTING SYSTEM.IT DIDNT HELP ME. > > IT LOOKS ITALICIZED WHEN I CLICK SEND.BUT NO RESPONSE TO > THAT.STILL STAYS THERE.WHAT IS SOLUTION THIS PR...

Re: EM_REPLACESEL message of CEdit
Thanks very much! I have used Scott's method to solve this problem. The messages can be outputed normally,and mouse selecting can't change the messages output any more. I use SendMessage function to send a user-defined message to the output window's handle from a worker thread. I set string pointer as WPARAM. In message handler, I still write like this: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // new string to append to the end of output bar CString szAppend(LPCTSTR(wParam)); // save old selected pos int nOldStart, nOldEnd; GetSel(nOldStart, nOl...

can i create message for icon which create in DLL
Hello guys, how to call NOTIFYICONDATA and post message to the icon in MFC extension dll? I can create the icon, but i can not catch the message which point to the icon. my code in DllMain: CreateDialog((HINSTANCE)AfxGetApp(),MAKEINTRESOURCE (IDD_DIALOG1),NULL,SetDispDlgProc); dlgTimer.Create(IDD_DIALOG1); SetResolutionMenu (dlgTimer); m_hIcon = AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_DLLSTATUS); StatusAreaIcon(NIM_ADD,1006,m_hIcon,"running"); but the callback function SetDispDlgProc() never be called except Create, why? thank you! delu "delu" <qiudelu@hotmail.com&...

Updated KB: Error message when you print a publication that contains one or more text boxes with border art in Publisher 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];840343#appliesto -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

double message receipt in Outlook
I get two copies of every message anyone sends; how do I stop that? ...

Error message with Publisher 2007 Catalog Merge to SQL 2005
Hello When I attempt a Catalog Merge to SQL 2005 with Publisher 2007, I get an 'invalid object name' error. Yet, when I use the exact same .odc connection in Excel 2007, the SQL view opens with no problems. Can anyone duplicate this bug and/or have a solution besides load the data into Excel, save it, and reload it into Publisher? Thanks. I can't find too much about this error. Publisher 2003 had merge problems, maybe by reading the fix, it will give you insight. Error message when you use an .odc file to connect to a specific table in a mail merge data source in Office 20...

rules for messages
I am using Outlook 2003. i have a rule to forward a message to another inbox and i turn this on when i leave for the day. can is specify what time is to work? e.g. from 5.15 pm - 6.00 pm, as i copy the messages to the 2nd inbox because i also need to keep a copy. Thank you. No, AFAIK, there is not a granular rule for time periods that the rule should be active. You can turn on the Out of Office Assitant, and create a rule within it to forward copies of mails to a secondary mailbox. You just need to remember to turn it on every night. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies...

Object not found message during send/recieve
After a successful test message during the setup of my Earthlink email account on Outlook I get an "Object Not Found" message. Later I start getting an object not found error message "0X8004010F" "Bryant" wrote: > After a successful test message during the setup of my Earthlink email > account on Outlook I get an "Object Not Found" message. Later I start > getting an object not found error message "0X8004010F" Bryant, I have the exact same problem trying to set up Outlook using Comcast broadband. Exact same message. Has som...

messages moved to Junk Email folder just disappear (Outlook 2007)
I am using Outlook 2007. When email is manually moved to Junk Email folder the counter is set OK, but the messages is never there. I just see a message, "There are no items to show in this view". Also for the past week NOTHING gets sent to the Junk Email folder although I normally get 2-3 a day. No new software was installed, nor were any changes made within Outlook. I ran the program, "outlook.exe /resetfolders", but that did not help. i am running Vista. Thanks much. Sounds like you have your view set to show unread items only or have a fil...

How to find where the message came from
I have GroupShield installed on my Exchange 2003 Server. GS told me that it found a virus and deleted it... which is fine by me. The peculiar thing about it is that it was from and to the same person. I checked out Message Tracking and it truely was sent and recieved by one of my mail-enabled users. I was wondering if there is a way I can tell where the message originated from... meaning which computer issued the message. I suspect the computer is infested. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks, -Steven- Wow, I cannot believe GS does not tell you this. I would check the notific...

Outlook 2003 doesn't send a message
Occasionally, Outlook 2003 doesn't send a message. How would I FORCE Outlook to send the message. Thank you, Barry Karas Common reasons why posts are not answered: 1. Posters omit Outlook version. 2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook = will not send!" 3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description. 4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the = volunteers. 5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, = Microsloth, Microshills, Microsh*t, etc. 6. Posters begin by bashing the grou...

Many mail queued in queue: "messages with an unreachable destinati
I've checked the queue and found out that most of these mails' recipients just hosted in the same server. All connector status was "UP" when I verified the routing with WinRoute. How can I do the further action to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks in advanced! On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:19:03 -0800, wang.rock <wangrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've checked the queue and found out that most of these mails' recipients >just hosted in the same server. > >All connector status was "UP" when I verified the routing with WinRoute. >...

Disapearing messages
Outgoing emails are sent and a copy is placed in SentItems box, however they do not reach SMTP server. Outlook behaves as though it connected to the server and sent the email, however it never reaches the SMTP server and therefore is not delivered. Even an email addressed to myself never gets delivered. The SMTP server appears to be functioning correctly; I am able to send email via the web interface to my account. All the incoming email is retrieved correctly from the mail server. Any ideas? Is it possible that I have a trojan that redirects all outgoing emails to a different SMT...

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to
The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Eric Peterson on 5/2/2005 9:41 AM The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. <fcds-mail.fcds.org #5.1.1> I receive these messages for an account that was deleted 8 months ago from time to time. It usually happens when inviting groups of people to an appointment or sending to an all school distribuion list. I have searched both AD and Exchange and can find no reference to the account. I have also used A...

In Outlook 2007 "save replies with original message" doesn't work
When I send from a folder in a mailbox folder that I've created (i.e., other than the inbox), it does NOT save it to that folder, as it did with my previous 2003 setup. The check box seems to have no effect with 2007. I've unchecked and saved, then rechecked, no change. Reboots don't help. Anyone know of a fix? Can I edit the prefs file directly? Is this a known issue? ...

How can I recover a deleted contact from Entourage?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop I accidently deleted a contact from my Entourage and now I want it. Is there any way to get it back with Data Rescue or some other data recovery tool? <FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12pt'>On 5/19/10 6:12 AM, in article <a href="59bb8b00.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb8b00.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href="backpack_Jeff@officeformac.com">backpack_Jeff@officeformac.com...

Repost of message on Maximizing Sheet
Yuck! I installed SP1 for Office 2003 this morning. Now, it seems I can't get my spreadsheets to fully maximize - even when I have only one open. I can hit the maximize button and it takes up almost all the window but still acts like it's TILED. I see a large "title bar" at the top of each spreadsheet just below the bottom tool bar. It's changed...and I hate change! Is this a setting somewhere that I just can't find? Thanks so much! cr >>It's changed... Not here. You're sure you hit maximize? (Had to ask<g>). -- Jim Rech Excel ...

Spell check on html messages
Still using Outlook 2000, hoping there is a known fix besides updating... When a user responds to an HTML message, the system hangs on the spell-check function, leaving only the option of rebooting computer. Any thoughts or suggestions please? Thanks, Joe did you try a repair? (rerun setup if repair is not an option) I would probably try renaming the custom.dic file to see if it helps (rename back if it doesn't help) -- "joe busch" <jbusch@ui.urban.org> wrote in message news:%23mE6IdwCGHA.3876@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Still using Outlook 2000, hoping there ...

time oldest message submitted column in Exchange Queue
What does this column represent? For example: I have some items in queue under the column "time oldest message submitted" dated 9/23/06 and then when you double click on the queue and click find now the date of the earliest message it is 9/26/06. Where does the date in the "time oldest message submitted" come from? I thought maybe it was the first time an email for that domain appeared in the queue but that doesn't seem right. One more thing that I should probably mention is that the date discrepency is only happening with items that are for domains that appear to be...

I am receiving a message about parameter values and it won't send
I put outlook on my computer, tried to send an email, and it won't send it because of parameter values. Did I install outlook wrong or what. ...