recover a users mailbox (exchange 2003)

hi lovely people,
A user has somehow corrupted or lost all his email kept at our office by
logging into our server via a VPN and using his own outlook 2003 client
(not OWA) to check his mail. i think whats happened is his home client has
sucked all the mail in his inbox away to his home pc (could this be?)

anyway, i've been looking into recovering his mailbox and found the
following article on msexchange.org
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Mailboxes-Exchange2003-SP1.html

i'm with it upto a point but i'm quite new to exchange/windows server 2003
and i'm very frightened of making a terrible error and mangling up everyones
account trying to correct this for him. This following statement just fills
me with dread and confuses:-
"If you now want to restore a mailbox from your backup you just have to
choose that database itself and restore it to its original location. The
backup software itself does not recognize that there is another storage
group where it is being restored. That is done by the registry settings and
seems to be very tricky."   ????

i've been doing a regular backup and daily incremental backups of the server
including the exchange store; Can someone confirm my following actions are
appropriate please...

I'm at *recovering a mailbox store* on that web page...
so if i go through Backup select "mondays" normal backup then restore the
Exchange Store...
Then restore the incremental backups too from Tues-Fri...
This is the uncertain bit... By running these restores Mon-Friday, the
backups are automatically placed in the Recovery Storage Group and won't
overwrite the actual Exchange database currently in use by other people
round the office who's mail is perfectly up to date and complete?

It is from then on i can use the Exchange Task Wizard to Recover Mailbox
Data?

Thanks in advance dudes. Its a bit hairy scary this for a wee newbie ; )

matty

0
matty1729 (14)

If you have the recovery storage group and assigned the appropriate
store into it you will be ok in that a restore will, by default, go
into the RSG rather than the live store.

There is a registry setting to override that and point the backup to
the production location, but if you haven't set it, it won't happen.

I suspect that the user may have set a PST on the remote PC and if you
do a restore you wil probably find the data will move again. Before
doing anything I'd instigate a search for the mail. It willk most
likely be a PST somewhere. If you find it you can simply drag and drop
the contents back again & reconfigure the client not to use the PST as
the default delivery location.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:24:52 -0000, "matthew hall"
<matty@gerbilferrit.com> wrote:

>hi lovely people,
>A user has somehow corrupted or lost all his email kept at our office by
>logging into our server via a VPN and using his own outlook 2003 client
>(not OWA) to check his mail. i think whats happened is his home client has
>sucked all the mail in his inbox away to his home pc (could this be?)
>
>anyway, i've been looking into recovering his mailbox and found the
>following article on msexchange.org
>http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Mailboxes-Exchange2003-SP1.html
>
>i'm with it upto a point but i'm quite new to exchange/windows server 2003
>and i'm very frightened of making a terrible error and mangling up everyones
>account trying to correct this for him. This following statement just fills
>me with dread and confuses:-
>"If you now want to restore a mailbox from your backup you just have to
>choose that database itself and restore it to its original location. The
>backup software itself does not recognize that there is another storage
>group where it is being restored. That is done by the registry settings and
>seems to be very tricky."   ????
>
>i've been doing a regular backup and daily incremental backups of the server
>including the exchange store; Can someone confirm my following actions are
>appropriate please...
>
>I'm at *recovering a mailbox store* on that web page...
>so if i go through Backup select "mondays" normal backup then restore the
>Exchange Store...
>Then restore the incremental backups too from Tues-Fri...
>This is the uncertain bit... By running these restores Mon-Friday, the
>backups are automatically placed in the Recovery Storage Group and won't
>overwrite the actual Exchange database currently in use by other people
>round the office who's mail is perfectly up to date and complete?
>
>It is from then on i can use the Exchange Task Wizard to Recover Mailbox
>Data?
>
>Thanks in advance dudes. Its a bit hairy scary this for a wee newbie ; )
>
>matty

0
mark7219 (5666)
1/31/2005 10:58:40 AM
Thanks Mark for the explanation i will have a word with the dude. He'll have
to hold on a wee while before we get it back again until i know exactly what
i'm doing - we always used Eudora and a very simplistic e-mail server - from
back when shoulder pads and big hair were in previous to SBS 2003; )

could you be so kind to further explain a few of your comments;
*If you have the recovery storage group and assigned the appropriate store
into it...*

er.. i did what was in that article i mentioned previously. exchange has
hardly been touched since it was set up. so that will be ok yeah? - its just
that i thought what i'd done was added a recovery storage group to the
store????

*If you find it [PST] you can simply drag and drop the contents back again &
reconfigure the client not to use the PST as the default delivery location.*

where do i drag and drop the contents of the PST to, and how do i get to the
contents of his PST if he can find it and bring it in?

*I suspect that the user may have set a PST on the remote PC and if you do a
restore you will probably find the data will move again*

did this happen then because his home outlook client isn't running in the
same mode we do on our roaming profile based network, erm, cached mode is
it?
what do i need to make sure he's got set up in his home outlook client,
previous to him ever connecting to our exchange server ever agin to prevent
something similiar happening.

eek - hope i don't sound too much like a dumb ass. thanks in advance mark,

matty

Can you further explain yourself regarding dragging this chaps PST back
> [...]
>>server
>>including the exchange store; Can someone confirm my following actions are
>>appropriate please...
>>
>>I'm at *recovering a mailbox store* on that web page...
>>so if i go through Backup select "mondays" normal backup then restore the
>>Exchange Store...
>>Then restore the incremental backups too from Tues-Fri...
>>This is the uncertain bit... By running these restores Mon-Friday, the
>>backups are automatically placed in the Recovery Storage Group and won't
>>overwrite the actual Exchange database currently in use by other people
>>round the office who's mail is perfectly up to date and complete?
>>
>>It is from then on i can use the Exchange Task Wizard to Recover Mailbox
>>Data?
>>
>>Thanks in advance dudes. Its a bit hairy scary this for a wee newbie ; )

0
matty1729 (14)
1/31/2005 3:16:21 PM
The other option you have if it was indeed a POP3 account that sucked all
the e-mail down is to check and see if you have Deleted Items Retention
enabled.  If you do, then from an internal Outlook client that has access to
his mailbox, you can add the "DumpsterAlwaysOn" registry key and from the
Inbox, select Tools, Recover Deleted Items.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"matthew hall" <matty@gerbilferrit.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>server
>>>including the exchange store; Can someone confirm my following actions
>>>are
>>>appropriate please...
>>>
>>>I'm at *recovering a mailbox store* on that web page...
>>>so if i go through Backup select "mondays" normal backup then restore the
>>>Exchange Store...
>>>Then restore the incremental backups too from Tues-Fri...
>>>This is the uncertain bit... By running these restores Mon-Friday, the
>>>backups are automatically placed in the Recovery Storage Group and won't
>>>overwrite the actual Exchange database currently in use by other people
>>>round the office who's mail is perfectly up to date and complete?
>>>
>>>It is from then on i can use the Exchange Task Wizard to Recover Mailbox
>>>Data?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance dudes. Its a bit hairy scary this for a wee newbie ; )

0
Ben

Outlook 2003 BCM and Exchange 5.5
Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exchange 5.5..? I installed it as an add on...and it doens't work. Any ideas/advice would be helpful. Thanx in advance. No, BCM doesn't work with Exchange. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Jim C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ab0701c3b85a$d85fcbb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is Outlook 2003 BCM compatible with Exch...

Exchange 2003 Recovery
Helo NG, at this time we`ve Problems with our Exchange 2003 Server. It has been deleted a single Mailbox without a Bricklevel Backup. Now the last full Backup is from April 15th and the DB Logs are from 05.05 until today. Is it possible to recover the Database with this Logfiles into a different ADS/Exchange Organisation ? any suggestions...... thx So you have a deleted mailbox and you want to get it back, correct? Have you tried to use the Deleted Mailbox recovery: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF022.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msex...

Error with domain trusts
Morning all, I've struggling to establish domain traust between 2 Windows 2003 domain controllers: Domain A Domain Functional Level Windows 2003 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 Domain B Domain Functional Level Windows 2000 Native Forest Functional Level Windows 2000 I've setup a DNS zone on each of the domains DC's as a secondary from it's opposite and zone transfers are working, I;ve also created an HOSTS file entry for both domains DC's on their opposits. When I validate the trusts I get this message: Domain B validating Domain A: ...

Converting Express to Outlook 2003
I have just recently switched from express to outlook 2003. When entering the first couple of letters from a contact in my address book the name does not automatically appear as it does in express. How can I fix this problem? I have already imported all email addresses from express to outlook. The auto-complete addresses will be available after you first enter the address. This is different from OE. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After fur...

Excel 2003
When I click on the end of a formula in a cell, I usually get all the associated cells highlighted with different coloured borders. I have one workbook with several sheets where this no longer happens on just one sheet. Is there some option I need to turn on in the sheet to make the coloured cell borders appear? Or might it be something to do with very recently using automaic update to bring my Office 2003 up to date? Any assistance much appreciated. Tom Walker You should always get *exactly* the same actions if you would click in the formula bar. As far as having the cell itself h...

Excel 2003
Hi all Excel Gurus, I need help. I have an excel workbook with a sheet called template and i want to create a button to copy a selection of data which is B9:B34 and i need it to paste the information to another excel workbook with a sheet called data which will be A:AA and add each row when pressed. When the data has been copied over i need it to close the data sheet. Can someone help me please? When you copy a range of cells you only have to specify in the destination l;ocation the 1st cell of the range like I did below. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() FName ...

Outlook 2003 & CRM 3.0 connection error after install.
I am having trouble getting Outlook to connect to my crm server using the laptop installation version. When opening Outlook, I get the error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM Server." I have tried uninstall and then reinstall but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this issue resolved? Thanks! I have found that if you have any kind of pop-up blocker, the Outlook client will throw an error like that (after waiting for a long time). In my case, I disabled the built-in pop-up blocker that comes with XPsp2 and then it was fine. To ch...

user mode & kernel mode thread synchronization
What is ther difference between user mode & kernel mode thread synchronization ? when to use mutexes & when to use critical sections ?? Thanks in advance. MK wrote: > What is ther difference between user mode & kernel mode thread > synchronization ? > when to use mutexes & when to use critical sections ?? > > Thanks in advance. > All things kernel mode are off limits to an application program and off topic here. Mutexes and critical sections are for synchronizing threads in user mode (i.e. in application programs). They both perform the same synchron...

SBS 2003: adding Exchange services to Outlook 2003
On 3 out of 8 new computers added to the domain, I am unable to add the Exchange service to Outlook 2003 for the shared public folders and contacts. I receive the following message: "The action could not be completed. The connection to the MS Exch Srvr is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action." All other services are availabe to these "problem" users: One of these users was an existing user that received a new workstation; the other 2 users are new as are their workstations. Any thoughts? Thanks. Michael In news:1D0046BA-38...

downloaded emails disappear in Outlook 2003
Hi I've noticed that emails disappear in Outlook2003 (my pst file was 300 Mo). I have deleted a lot of emails and now my pst file is 200 Mo but I still have the emails disappear. Any idea on the origin of that problem? Thanks Faith Check to see if you have a view applied or if you are sorting by the icon. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Faith@yaho...

Outlook Web Access Problems (SBS 2003)
Wonder if any one can help... We use Outlook Web Access and until last week we have never had any problems.... (SBS 2003) I get to the login screen and put my username and password in and I get the error "You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure that your user name and password are correct, and then try again." I've tested the login as both the user the admininstrator and internally on the server and I get the same problem... I'm not aware that we have installed any new apps or made any changes recently Any ideas....?, the users just seem to have los...

Account Limit Notification to administrator and user #2
I can configure the exchange server so that when a user account is nearing its quota limit an email is sent notifying the user. I need to have the same message go to the administratrator as well. Anybody knows how to do this????? ----------------- R//If you're doing this using mailbox management, you can setup admin notification by populating "administrator" field in server properties | mailbox management tab. R//Bharat had an excellent suggestion, just make sure to leave it on "do nothing" other than generating that report.:p Some users might be pissed to see ma...

Exchange 2003 mount public db
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS Server. On of my customer losed old mail on a public folder and I need to restore emails. I have the database file that contains the emails but i wouldn't stop exchange mount the old db (DBOLD) create e pst of email, dismount the db and mount the official db. It's too dangerous! Then I reinstall the same machine on a server with the same domain, organization, Admnistrative group of Exchange. Dismount the original db and I try to mount the db of the other server (DBOLD). I receive an error like this: The information store could not be loaded bec...

Exch 2003 SP2
Following the typical procedures below I am able to update one node at time of the Exchange 2003 servers to SP2. As per recommendation below, I applied Exch2003 SP2 to one offline Node1. Then when I attempt to "move resources" to node Node2, I noticed that failover doesn't complete - Systems Attendant fails to get started. In my pre-production environment, I was able to instal the Exch2003 SP2 only upon taking the resources "offline" in the Cluster administrator tool. Then I was able to install the Exch2003SP2 on both nodes, upgrade the Virtual Exchange server an...

Default Language in Outlook 2003
Hi, How do I set the default spell check language? (Outlook 2003 running on Win XP professional). I keep setting it to default UK, but it stays as US, how can I permantley removed the US option?, I don't even have the US language in 'Regional and Language Option'. Thanks ...

How can I allow users to sort a protected table using dropdowns?
I'm trying to create a table where users can't edit the content of the cells but can edit the ordering of the table- what's the best way to achieve this? Stuart, I've written this code some time back for one of my users and it works perfectly for them. Maybe you would like to adapt to suit your needs.. Sub Sort_pr_range() ActiveSheet.Unprotect 'Unprotect the sheet Range("A1:F100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), _ 'where "B1" will be the sort pri Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase...

GP Dynamics 9 and Windows 2003 Service Pack 2
If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? Chris, Should be no problem, we have customers running it with GP 9.0. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D4E1BA-CF22-45EE-97F2-9BE2244D590D@microsoft.com... > If we install Windows 2003 service pack 2, would this interfer with our > current version of GP Dynamics 9.0? thank you for quick response.... much appreciated! "Victoria [MVP]" wrote: > Chris, ...

Storage limitations on user mailboxes
OK This is part of a two part question. Where does one look or check to see if there are any limitations as far as storage on a individual mailbox or the whole private store? Second is there a limitation as far as how many emails can reside in the users "Inobx" where senders will get a NDR indicating the users mailbox is full. Ive checked ESM\Servers\servername\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store\Properties. I had a user who would get NDR's when "forwarding" messages. I noticed her "Sent" mail had over 2,400 emails so I deleted some and got it down to aro...

Exchange 2000 Sending out old Emails When ever Exchange Service is restarted
I have a single exchange server that is sending out old emails whenever the Exchange Service is restarted. It is alwasy the same emails and they go to post inside and outside recipients. As long as I don't restart the Exchange Service, everything is fine. This has been going on about a month, but I need to spend some time getting it resolved now. Any pointers? I haven't turned up much in searching for myself. Thanks Jason- If you look in the folders for your SMTP Service, particuarly drop, queue, and pickup, are there old messages in there? By default this folder is in C:\program fi...

OWA hangs after moving mailboxes to another Exchange Server
After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the mailbox never loads in the IE page. Clients with mailboxes on other Exchange Servers do not experience this problem. No errors are occurring onscreen or in the event logs. Any ideas? On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:58:32 -0800, JDavis <JDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After moving a group of mailboxes to another Exchange Store on another >Server, clients cannot login to OWA. The OWA logon is successful but the >mailbox never ...

Exchange 5.5 On W2K Services Won't Initialize
I have a Windows 2000 AD Server. Which has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. For some reason now the following services won't start. Exchange Event Service Internet Mail Service Message Transfer Agent System Attendant When I do try and start these services this error comes up: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b) Click on OK to terminate the application. Then when I do this one comes up. Error 1053, the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. In the event logs I get this as well Source:...

How to log mailbox activity? Exch 5.5
We are running Exchange 5.5. This morning a department head asked me to log incoming and outgoing activity (including time messages were sent) for one employee. I have looked through MS Knowledge Base and the FAQ's here, along with doing a search here. No luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. In Exchange 5.5 Open the Exchange Admin program and go to Configuration> Connections> Internet Mail Service > Diagnostics and Logging. On the MS Exchange IMC select the Items to monitor and level. Make sure that on the Internet Mail tab that message tracking is enabl...

Outlook 2003 won't start under Windows 7
Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message appears immediately after starting OL: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened." Try; Start Run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane (space between exe /) "Kay" <Kay@kayknapp.com> wrote in message news:eYf7cZufKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message > appears immediately after starting OL: > > "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store ...

Outlook 2003
My girlfriend is having a problem with Outlook 2003, where after the program has been running for a half-hour or so, and opens a new letter, the message pane loses focus and ends up BELOW the main Outlook window, instead of in front of it. The result is that the only way she can read the letter is to minimize the main Outlook window -- which isn't really an ideal solution, and rather a pain the butt. If she shuts down Outlook, then restarts it, all is fine again ... until another half- hour or so later. It's very frustrating. Anybody have any theories here? I'm guessin...

Problem with Outlook 2003 BCM and offline files
Hello! I have a client with SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003. Whenever he logs off if his LAN workstation, he gets an error stating "Offline files (\\server\Users) Unable to make 'Contact Management database [1].MDB available offline on (UNC to his My Docs). Files of this type cannot be made available offline." As a side note, has anyone had trouble with Google Groups searches lately, say in the last week? I can search for items inside quotation marks such as "files of this type cannot be made available offline" and I get few hits, sometimes none. If I search without q...