Recommendations on number of items in PST and OST

I need to know whether if there is a recommendation on number of ITEMS in a
PST and OST?

I am currently running MS Outlook 2003.

Thanks
0
Hasher (18)

I know that there is a limit to the number of items in a single folder in a
pst file...it was around 16,000...actually had a user run into it once, and
that folder was no longer accessible...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Hasher" <Hasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to know whether if there is a recommendation on number of ITEMS in
> PST and OST?
>
> I am currently running MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Thanks

0
sconkey (3059)
9/14/2006 4:10:07 PM
I created a mailbox with 100,000 objects in a Inbox and 1000 subfolders each
with 100 objects. The mailbox size was around 18GB. I did not find problem
accessing it via outlook online, outlook cached mode, outlook web access
using IE and Firefox.

However, I would like to add that it would require lots of resources on the
exchange server as well as patience from the user community for very large
mailboxes. Smaller is better in terms of user response, DB size,
maintenance, backup and restores,  and performance.

Before Outlook 2003, the PST limit size was less than 2GB, but with outlook
2003 using a unicode format you can have upto 20GB of PST files, and I think
the 20GB number can be increased with a registry change.

- Ibrahim Kazi

"Hasher" <Hasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to know whether if there is a recommendation on number of ITEMS in a
> PST and OST?
>
> I am currently running MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Thanks

0
Ibrahim
9/14/2006 5:14:49 PM
In addition to other answers in this thread, any folder in Outlook shouldn't
have much more than, say, 2,000 items or else Outlook will start to slow
down when it renders the folder view.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Hasher" <Hasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to know whether if there is a recommendation on number of ITEMS in a
> PST and OST?
>
> I am currently running MS Outlook 2003.
>
> Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Discount all items in a department?
Is it possible to discount all the items in a department (or other specified group) in one go? E.g. I want to discount all our 'media' department by 10% Help. El Presidente, SO Manager --> Wizards menu --> Inventory Wizard --> Task 110 Change Item Price --> Press Next --> Choose the Department --> Press Next, this is where we need to figure out if you are doing a permanent mark down or a sale for a specific period of time. For a Permanent Mark Down: Price change method = Discount from Regular price Percentage = 10% Price to be changed = Regular Sale for a spe...

auto number index snafu
I have a 2003 DB I've been adding to for 2 years. It's at 423 records = now. I export to a PDF for simpler searching and viewing. Using the search the other day, I went to grab DVD 186, on carousel tower= 2. And what came up didn't match the record. The index was totally screwed. I went thru all 423 records and created a numeric index by hand. The auto number field is useless. But I would still prefer an auto number field. Trouble is when I create the auto number field, it's still off the actual numbers of the records.. ie: 99-100 is actually 99-186,187, 188, 189 100-385,...

Auto assign Lot Numbers in PO receiving
Hi! Has anyone made a customization to auto assign Lot numbers upon item receipt? My client's lot number is numeric, they want the system to auto assign this. Any ideas? Thanks! -- Marisol Mortera Marisol, Yes indeed, I created one for a client. You probably will not be able to use it as-is because of some client specific functionality but I'm sure you could use this as a stepping stone. The key features were that it would allow for rapid lot number entry by a. Auto-incrementing the lot number - we had Alphanumeric lot numbers so we added a suffix and b. copy the previous lo...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

Ordering by number and text
I use a report to print out checklists that in the detail section have item number to delineate each checklist item. The item numbers as an example are 1-1, 1-2, 1-2a, 1-2b, or 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-3a, 2-3b and so on. The report is grouped by checklist section and the grouping works perfectly but when the report is printed the item numbers are ordered in this order 1-1, 1-10, 1-11, 1-2, 1-3, 1-3a, 1-3b, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-9. Obviously I want the the order to be in proper numerical sequence where 1-10 comes after 1-9. but even replacing the '-' with a decimal point doesn't ...

matching columns of numbers

Zero filling a number field
I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but can't figure out how. Any ideas? You don''t say where you're trying to do this, but basically Format(YourAutoNumber, "000000") pdlginternet@aol.com wrote: >I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but >can't figure out how. Any ideas? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200711/1 You can't do that wi...

Copy Matrix Items
I am afraid I know the answer to this already but here goes- I have a prospective shoe store customer who receives as many as 500 pairs of shoes in a lot. Most of the time 50% or more of these shoes have not been stocked before and they don't know what the shoes will be until they get the lot. Because of the nature of shoes they need the ability to quickly enter in the assorted sizes and colors in a run of Men's, Women's, Children's etc. While the New Item Wizard for a Matrix Item works well the customer would like to not have to enter in the size runs each time since they a...

How do I change numbers to negative without re-typing?
I have a large range of data that needs to be changed to negative numbers, Can I do this in Excel? ...

Determine number of rows with data

"Can't copy the items. You don't have permission ..."
I use OL 2003, latest service pack,etc. My PST file is about 1.2 GB and is Unicode-compatible. Lately Outlook shuts down suddenly without warning, and I have left checked the box to restart Outlook automatically. This is a big annoyance. However, in the last 2-3 days, I'm seeing a new kind of problem. I can't delete or move messages from mail folders. I get the message that is in the subject line, and the balance of this message is: ... to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the folder and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder o...

Converting number to text

Sequentially number lines automatically

Highlight color for selected items
How can I find out what color is used for highlighting selected items (for example in Windows Explorer)on a users computer? Normally it is a blue color, but a user can change that. "Urban Olars" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:071c01c3c941$3db2c890$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How can I find out what color is used for highlighting > selected items (for example in Windows Explorer)on a users > computer? > Normally it is a blue color, but a user can change that. See if it's GetSysColor/COLOR_HIGHLIGHT. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] Take a ...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

Excel Number Format Codes
I can't figure out how to format numbers so that when you type 3220 it will look like 32.20 kinda like how you can enter numbers on an adding machine. I would greatly appreciate this number format code. Thank you. -- 1:~ Hi, I think you want to go Tools | Options | Edit | Fixed Decimals - 2. That will divide all the numbers you enter by 100. You will also have to format the row or column to display 2 decimals. Select the cells or range, right mouse click, format cells, numbers, 2 decimals. Hope that helps. Best regards, Kevin "MBB" <MBB@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Receivings Number
Hi, When I am doing my purchase receiving at the Receivings Entry, I sometimes encounter some problem which the Receivings Number. For example, suppose the new receivings number should be REC/03/000004, but this number REC/03/000005 is given to me instead. What could be the possible cause of the missing receivings number:REC/03/000004. (this no. is not used by anyone). Please advise or tell me how can I avoid. Thanks in advance. I believe it's when someone started to do a receivings but then deleted it. It already increments to the next number. You can prevent deleting of documen...

Revovering a corrupt PST
I have managed to revocer a PST file from a formatted hard drive, on trying to use this file it was apparent that it was corrupted. I have run the ScanPST utility and it said that it fixed 15 errors, but there are still no items in the file. Looking at the files properties it is 145mb in size. Are there any other methods of retreiving the data from within this file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Andrew Evans A long shot- but try creating a new pst, and import from the old pst into the new. >-----Original Message----- >I have managed to revocer a PST file from a form...

deleted items #7
Does anyone know what and how I can view and/or delete the 1129 items my Outlook says I have in my deleted items folder. 1 says unread. Thanks If can see the Deleted Items folder in the folder list, right-clicking on it reveals "Empty Deleted Items folder" If you can't see the folder list, it's under the 'Go' menu in Outlook 2003, and under the 'View' menu in earlier versions You can also empty the Deleted Items folder automatically every time you close Outlook. Tools menu > Options > 'Other' tab. Choose the 'Empty the Deleted Items f...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

Seeking new Bank Recommendation
I am currently a BankOne customer, but am dropping them due to the new ATM service fee. BankOne now charges $1.50 per non-BankOne ATM transaction - this is in addition to what the local bank that runs the ATM charges. I travel A LOT and am always needing cash from a non-BankOne ATM. Unfortunately, BankOne is also the dominant bank in my area - ATMs in Walgreens, Dominicks, lots of branches. I am going to stand on principle and cancel my accounts w/ BankOne however. I was a Preferred Checking customer w/ BankOne for 10 years (no fees for anythign if you kept a $2500 minimum balance - maybe it ...

Counting the number of times more than 1 variable occurs
I need to determine how many Separations were processed by a particular salesperson. A | B 1 MIKE | SEPARATION 2 MIKE | LEAVE 3 SARA | SEPARATION 4 JOE | SEPARATION 5 JAMIE | LEAVE 6 MIKE | LEAVE 7 JOE | LEAVE 8 SARA | SEPARATION The only way I can think of is the COUNTIF Funtion *COUNTIF(-range,criteria-)* =COUNTIF(A1:A8,(A1:A8="MIKE")*(B1:B8="SEPARATION")) This does not work though. The results return 0 with no errors when the answer should be 1. does anyone else know of a wa...

Sum of each grouped item in a report
I have a form that logs time spent on auditing activities for the Internal Auditors in my company. Each time the auditor performs an audit related task, they enter a new record under their name. This means they could have many occurences of the same function. I then created a query/report that breaks down the different auditing activities for each internal auditor. Management has now asked for a report that gives a total for each activity for each internal auditor (example - John Smith: Audit Prep - 2.25, Follow-up - 3.75, Audit - 7.50). I want to figure out how to do this on a rep...

Add Item to GP Menu
Does anyone have instructions on how to add items to the GP menu? I believe it can be done with Dexterity, but I have no idea what file to modify or how to use Dexterity. Thanks. "Ryan" wrote: > Does anyone have instructions on how to add items to the GP menu? I believe > it can be done with Dexterity, but I have no idea what file to modify or how > to use Dexterity. > > Thanks. Hi Ryan Please look at the Integration Guide PDF manual installed with Dexterity. Part 5 explains the navigation model and how to work with command forms, commands and menus. T...