Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving

G'Day All,

I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
Exchange mailbox and information store.
My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.

Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
and you experiences with it.

Thanks very much.

0
ferg1 (17)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:

>G'Day All,
>
>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>and you experiences with it.
>
>Thanks very much.

It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
archive time.

EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/4/2007 5:24:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?

Thanks

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:
>
>>G'Day All,
>>
>>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>>
>>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>>and you experiences with it.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>>

> It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> archive time.
>
> EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.

0
ferg1 (17)
4/4/2007 5:34:04 PM
On Apr 4, 6:34 pm, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:skn713h7sugcisknm93l29s6i27jfdmm84@4ax.com...
>

> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
>
> >>G'Day All,
>
> >>I am contemplating SymantecEnterpriseVaultto help solve my growing
> >>Exchange mailbox and information store.
> >>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
> >>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
> >>and you experiences with it.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> > It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> > your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> > mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> > to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> > it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> > days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> > attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> > you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> > archive time.
>
> > EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> > other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.- Hide quoted text -

As a ZANTAZ EAS ASE and Enterprise Vault SE I would recommend EAS
everytime.

archive
hello community is there way to find back my own personally queries that was requested for help, example, I am trying to look back into query that I question on 31 Mar 2006 but I do not seems to be able to see that question and answer anymore. thanks for englighting me on this :) -- oldLearner57 You can use google to search for stuff you've posted (and find the replies, too) http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm ...

Email Archiving
My company is using Exchange 2003 Standard, and email size is now reaching 13.6G, which is close to the upper limit. We need to keep the emails in the server for 6 months. I wonder is there any archieving solution, so I can still keep emails, while archiving the 3 months old emails ? Million Thanks. "Ricky" <Ricky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My company is using Exchange 2003 Standard, and email size is now reaching 13.6G, which is close to the upper limit. We need to keep the emails in the server for 6 months. I wonder is there any archieving solution, so I can sti...

Outlook 2007 very slow
When I start Outlook 2007, it takes a long time to start. Once it has started, there are multiple Archive selections in the File Menu. What is causing this and how do I stop it from happening? I have tried Menu Bar Reset without any joy. Here is my Jing Screenshot of the File Menu. http://screencast.com/t/YjA4NWMzNj It takes about 15 seconds of holding my cursor at the bottom of the File Menu to scroll to the bottom of the Archives. Here is a Jing Screenshot of the bottom of the File Menu http://screencast.com/t/OWQwMDEyNjk I have tried disabling all of the Add-Ins, one by ...

archiving old mailboxes
Hello. We are using Exch 2003 with Outlook 2003 on client machines. What is the absolute easiest and quickest way to archive mailboxes for people who leave the organization? I'd like to take them completely off of the mail server to free up space, but be able to recall there mail in some fasion if need be...would it be to exmerge the boxes to a pst file...and then have a dedicated drive with the archived pst files on it with Outlook installed (but not Outlook Exchange Mode)? .....or is there an easier way?? Thanks Use Exmerge to extract to PST (some orgs require storing this on ...

Retrieving Emails from an archived exchange backup
Retrieving Emails from an archived exchange backup. I have been asking to get emails from a users email box in exchange. This user was a part of the org. about 2yrs ago and is no longer in active directly. Also I need to restore this data in the lab, does anyone have any resources / info on how I should go about doing this? Any help would been good, thank you. On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:28:45 -0400, "Mr. Backup" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote: >Retrieving Emails from an archived exchange backup. > >I have been asking to get emails from a users email box in exchange...

E2K3 Storage Groups
What are advantages, and more importantly, disadvantages to using multiple Storage Groups. I have heard that having more then 2 SG's creates extra CPU load, is this true? The only benefit I see so far is logical separation for use in exchange manager, and that you can point translogs and system path to different locations, if you had different physical drives, I could see this as a benefit. I have a situation where I'd like to do the following -Storage Group for local users - Multiple stores with different store policies -Storage Group for remote users - Multiple stores with diff...

EcGenerateReadReport errors on E2K3 / W2K3 cluster
I have recently migrated to a new W2K3 cluster running E2K3( 2 node A-P ). Since then, I have been seeing regular Event ID 1025 errors in the Application log; Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1025 Date: 9/03/2005 Time: 8:19:19 a.m. User: N/A Computer: CCOEXCN01 Description: An error occurred on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store A-L". Function name or description of problem: EcGenerateReadReport: Error: 0x80070005 followed by Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: Gener...

Error during Archiving
Error while archiving folder inbox in store <mailboxname> some items could not be moved, because they have already been moved or deleted I am getting this error while archiving is there any way to get around this issue ...

Archive not working #2
(Outlook 2003) I noticed that my Calendar isn't archiving. I have auto archive set to work every 7 days, and to go back 6 months, also it won't work when I click File>Archive. It used to work fine... See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/archivenotworking.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5DD7E336-9A0F-4408-82A...

Archiving mail items with a modified date of "none"
Outlook 2003 BTW, I am trying to use the archive function to combine a couple PST files (archiving from one file to another). I set the archive date to a future date to force all items to be moved. unfortunately some items have a modified date of "none". These are left alone by the archive process. Is there a better way to merge pst files or os there a way to include those items in the scope of the archive? Thanks, Steve -- NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:12:44 -0500, "Stephen M" <sawdustnospam@primelink1.net>...

Archiving and attachments in OL2000
Hello, We use MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 on one of our office computers. The user of this PC was asking me if archiving maintained the attachments or are they included in the archive, or are they deleted? Does archiving save the attachments or are they removed after the archiving process. They have some valuable attachments and would be terribly sad if the they were lost. Thanks Mike McWhinney Archiving moves the entire item, including any attachments, into the = archive .pst file. --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/ol...

creating an archive or copy of all incomming & out going mail
Running exchange2k & need to know the easiest way to create an archive or copy of all incomming & outgoing e-mail. Message Journaling http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;q261173 HTH Lisa >-----Original Message----- >Running exchange2k & need to know the easiest way to create an archive or copy of all incomming & outgoing e- mail. >. > ...

archiving auto archive
I have my sent items set to auto archive for mails older than 6 months. Today I want to archive the remaining files in sent items (less than 6 months old). How do I make sure that I end up with 1 merged file, containing the auto-archived and the newer items? If I run archive on the sent items by selecting the auto-archive file I am afraid that it may destroy the old items (I don't want to speculate if MS thought about this or not). Thanks If you manually archive the Sent Items folder they should end up in the archive PST along with the other items. "Cagdas Ozgenc" <cagdas...

Items Fail to be archived
Using OL2003, when I try to archive a mail folder, with the rule that all items prior to a certain date be archived, I find that many older items are not archived even after repeated passes. I have checked the [Include items with "Do not Autoarchive" checked] box, of course. Does anyone have a clue why this is so and what steps I could take to have OL everything older than the selected date? Perhaps the modified date of these items is later than the archive date? Archive functions against modified date "Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote in...

E2k3: An ambiguous SMTP proxy SystemMailbox error 9549
I get this message a few times a day and the best I can figure is I have two mailboxes found in the Exchange System Manager with the same string of characters in their names. SMTP (SERVER1-{A643FE61-xxxx-4B74-B902-280BFB58699B}) SystemMailbox{A643FE61-xxxx-4B74-B902-280BFB58699B} However this condition is identical on two exchange servers (slightly different numbers) but only one exchange server is getting the error. Any ideas? Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9549 Date: 1/9/2005 Time: 2:28:44 PM User: N/A Computer: SERVFL01 Description: An...

Unable to Balance after Archive
We just upgraded to Money 2004. After loading it in we determined that our money file was getting excessive. We decided to Archive Data prior to 1/1/02. Now during reconciliation, none of the beginning balances in Money reflect what the ending balance was last month. Not sure how to proceed. Can't balance any accounts except new ones that started since '02. I think the problem is related to items dated in 12/01 (archived out), but, did not reflected until the 1/02 statement. Any help in rebalancing all these accounts so they show the correct amount with the new stateme...

Money 2006 Archiving Problem
I am trying to archive my 2004 checking, saving and credit card transactions. I don’t have any investment accounts set-up which is documented as being a no-go when archiving. If I try to archive all accounts the program makes a backup then goes non-responsive. If I try to archive an individual account the program makes a backup and completes the operation but the archived date is not removed. My current file sizes is 9,000 KB and the program is becoming noticeably slower. Any advise on how to get this data off would be much appreciated. thanks pedro Many of us will not advise peopl...

Archive Problem in Money 2006
Hi, I archived dates from my Money 2006 program, creating a new archived file in the process. In the original file, the transactions are removed, but when I do a Monthly Cash Flow Report and enter All Dates, it shows all the months I archived. They are all empty, so I have a page of two years of empty dates. Older versions didn't use to do this. Somehow the program thinks that the dates still have something in them. How do I get rid of all this empty space. Thanks dickwyll@concentric.net wrote: > Hi, > > I archived dates from my Money 2006 program, creating a new archive...

Archiving all messages in Exchange 2003 ?
Is it possible to effectively BCC a copy of every message through the exchange( internally and externally IN/OUT) into some sort of PST file or folder which can be archived off somewhere and deleted at regular intervals ? Any help much appreciated. TIA Gary Sure: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF011.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:e7qYko0kFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to effectively BCC a copy of every message thr...

centralized archiving policy
Hi all, I noticed that all our users archive their Outlook emails to their local hard drive. This is not good. Is there a way I can setup and enforce a centralized Outlook archiving scheme and policy? We have a FILESERVER and it would be ideal if we could have everyone archive emails to the file server. We are running Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2003. TIA! On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:50:35 -0500, <param@community.nospam> wrote: >Hi all, > >I noticed that all our users archive their Outlook emails to their local >hard drive. This is not good. Is there a way I can setup and...

Consolidate multiple archive.pst files..
Dear Friends, I want to have only 1 archive.pst file but I have multiple archive.pst files in my disk. Is it possible to consolidate them? My Outlook version: Outlook 2003 Std. Thanks a lot.. Capri Capricorn <capricorn79@mynet.com> wrote: > Dear Friends, > I want to have only 1 archive.pst file but I have multiple > archive.pst files in my disk. Is it possible to consolidate them? > My Outlook version: Outlook 2003 Std. Sure. Open two of them with File>Open>Outlook Data File, open each older in one, select all of the contents with CTRL-A and used Edit>Copy...

Archive emails into PST file automatically
Hello everyone, We have an existing MS Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6 and MS Exchange Server 5.5 running on an older machine. We have bought new hardware and are installing MS Windows Small Business Server 2003 which comes with MS Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and MS Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition. In the old system (Exchange 5.5) we had issues with 16GB limit and Exchange used to crash frequently because of exceeding this limit. We have group mailboxes for different departments and that is one of the reasons why the mailboxes filled up so quickly. My questions are: 1. Is it possib...

Archive from Inbox on Exchage Server to pst file
I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst file located on the Hard Disk. The file "archive.pst" is created but the emails are not moved to the "INBOX" folder in the "archive.pst". How can I fix this problem? I am using the Windows 2000 with Outlook 2002 SP2 Autoarchive works on the "modified" date of the item - perhaps that's your issue. Rogerio wrote: > I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a > folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst &g...

Bad Experience with GP Purchase
When our company decided to go with Dynamics GP, Microsoft directed us to a local "partner" who would sell us the software. This partner would also be responsible for importing our existing data and customizing GP to fit our business. This was in January. We were given a completion date of no later than March 1st. It's now March 12th, and we don't even have our customers imported correctly into GP (the bill-to addresses are mixed up). At this rate, our ETA will be April 30th at the earliest (assuming all goes well from this point on). Sorry for venting, but my ...

archiving emails #3
Hi, When I archive my emails, I find that attachments are also being archive with the emails. Is there a way which allows me to only archive the email and not its attachments? thanks "Lynn" <moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1134832460.792675.98700@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > When I archive my emails, I find that attachments are also being > archive with the emails. > Is there a way which allows me to only archive the email and not its > attachments? > > thanks > They are part of the message in the way they are stored not s...