Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving

G'Day All,

I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
Exchange mailbox and information store.
My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.

Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
and you experiences with it.

Thanks very much.

0
ferg1 (17)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:

>G'Day All,
>
>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>and you experiences with it.
>
>Thanks very much.

It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
archive time.

EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/4/2007 5:24:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?

Thanks

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:
>
>>G'Day All,
>>
>>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>>
>>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>>and you experiences with it.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>>

> It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> archive time.
>
> EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.

0
ferg1 (17)
4/4/2007 5:34:04 PM
On Apr 4, 6:34 pm, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:skn713h7sugcisknm93l29s6i27jfdmm84@4ax.com...
>

> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
>
> >>G'Day All,
>
> >>I am contemplating SymantecEnterpriseVaultto help solve my growing
> >>Exchange mailbox and information store.
> >>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
> >>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
> >>and you experiences with it.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> > It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> > your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> > mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> > to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> > it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> > days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> > attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> > you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> > archive time.
>
> > EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> > other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.- Hide quoted text -

As a ZANTAZ EAS ASE and Enterprise Vault SE I would recommend EAS
everytime.

Auto-Archive
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I just recently switched from PC to Mac and I am still trying to find the best way to copy my archived folders onto Entourage. However, that is not my current problem. <br><br>My company mailbox has a size of 800MB and I am getting very close to that limit. In Outlook, I would simply hit the Archive button and would put old mail in an offline/archived folder that I could access at any time. Is there anything similar to this for Entourage? Hopefully I don't have to purc...

Exchange E2k3 and McAffee Groupshield
Hello NG, i have the problem that my Exchnage creates 25 MB/ min transaction logs. I think it is to trace back on McAffee Groupshield. Has anyone else this prob? I am thankful for every kind of help. Greetings Marco On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:01:47 +0200, "Marco Fischbach" <fischi74@gmx.de> wrote: >Hello NG, >i have the problem that my Exchnage creates 25 MB/ min transaction logs. I >think it is to trace back on McAffee Groupshield. Has anyone else this prob? >I am thankful for every kind of help. > >Greetings > >Marco > Arggg, Groupshield. It spends...

OL 2007 Auto Archiving Errors/Cannot read archive properties from
New Outlook user, please go easy on me. As of 01/01/2008 I have converted from Eudora v7.x to Outlook 2007. Running Vista Home Premium, dual core 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, all patches current per multiple runs of MS Update. I used AddressMagic to import all of my email messages from Eudora into a new OL2007 PST file. Conversion worked great, and I can see and use all of my emails and attachments. FUNCTION: Auto Archiving ERROR: * Pop-up error message declares: "Errors occurred while archiving. Look for a detailed report in your Deleted Items folder." * Delete Items folde...

Magento Web Store experience?
Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share with the Magento Web Store and interfacing it to GP? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com ...

Messages are stuck in the smtp queue on 2 E2K3 servers in same sit
We have 4 locations, (Atlanta, NY, DC & Chicago), with Atlanta being the main site. All locations are linked by direct frame Relay connections @ 512Kbps. For some reason the messages between Atlanta and NY are queuing up, and we cannot determine what the issue is. The NIC drivers (Broadcom) have been updated, TCP/IP has been uninstalled/reinstalled, switched the patch cables, restarted the router and switch, and finally the link speed between to the switch has been reduced from 1Gb to100MB. Telneting to port 25 from either server sometimes fails, and yet telneting to same port from ...

Archiving #5
I'm just wondering about this archiving thing. I have been using Money since 2000 and I never used the archiving feature before. I always used one money file for all of our finances, but from the beginning of this year I started to maintain 3 separate Money files; one for household, one for business, and one for investments. I was thinking of perhaps archiving the old records that were still mixed together under one file. Although I did make a backup copy as I always do. Anyhow, I just started to look at what archiving meant and how to do it. I remember that once, while browsing ...

Archive size limits in 2003?
Can anyone tell me if there are still issues around .pst or archive files corrupting when they approach 1 gb? I had this problem last year with OL2002 and wanted to know if it had been fixed in 2003 ... or do I need to be sure and create additional archive files as they get bigger? Outlook 2003 introduced a new Unicode format for .PST files that can hold a vast amount of data -- much more than 2GB. In fact, for the near future at least, your hardware will likely limit the size of your .PST before the .PST itself will. :-) However, .PST files created by Outlook 2002 and earlier (or cre...

force clients to Cache Mode with E2K3 SP2
Where is the setting to force Outlook 2003 Clients to Cache Mode in Exchange 2003 Sp2? Thanks On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:03:43 GMT, "BigHaig" <haigo@bxxxx.com> wrote: >Where is the setting to force Outlook 2003 Clients to Cache Mode in Exchange >2003 Sp2? > >Thanks > It doesnt force them, it prevents logon unless the clients are in cache mode. Check the release notes for more info. "Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote: > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:03:43 GMT, "BigHaig" <haigo@bxxxx.com> wrote: > > >Where is the setting t...

Can't close Archive folder
I am using Outlook 2000 and for some reason when I try to close the archive file from the side menu list I get an error"The operation failed. An object could not be found". Could anyone please tell me why this just started doing this. Last week it worked fine. ...

Rename W2K3 AD with E2K3
Hello, Quick question. I'm aware you can't rename a Windows 2003 AD domain in a forest containing Exchange 2000 Server(s), that can be read in the MS Domain Rename Docs. But I find it odd MS don't mention anything about Exchange 2003, which leads me to below question: Does this apply to Exchange 2003 as well ? Even though I personally would say yes, I ask so that I know for a fact. Regards -- Henrik Walther http://exchange-faq.dk Henrik Walther wrote: > Hello, > > Quick question. > > I'm aware you can't rename a Windows 2003 AD domain in a forest con...

How to create e-mail addresses based on group membership in E2K3 running on W2K3
Hello, I need to create different email address for different users in my Exchange 2003 server running on Windows Server 2003. I would like to be able to do this by using AD group membership and Exchange recipient policies rules. I have browsed MS support.microsoft.com web site and found KB 317298 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317298 )and also looked at www.msexchange.org . Both articles seem very straight forward. When I get to modifying the rule in "Recipient Policies" this is where I get lost. I have used adsiedit.msc to lookup my group which is called "Dogfood E...

Archive #5
Hy, I tring to archive some e-mails from my mailbox into a pst file that i created to use as an archive, after i've insert it into outlook ("all mail folders" - the column on the left) i try to archive some e-mails from menu File --> Archive, i select the "start" date and the pst file that i've created, but no e-mails are been archived even if on the status bar i can see "Archiving..." What i've to do to archive my e-mails? Thanks Kentucky ...

restoring an archived file from a burned cd
I archived a file by burning it to a cd. Now it says it can't access the file possible because it is a write protected file or a read only file. I have about 4 years of data on that file, and do not wish for it to be completely lost. Any suggestions? Did you try copying the file to the hard disk and clearing the read only flag first? Money cannot open a read only file. "VJ" <djvjgray@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:519201c34186$c53c6ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I archived a file by burning it to a cd. Now it says it > can't access the file possible beca...

Archiving doesn't archive
On Windows XP Pro SP2, in OL 2003, no service pack, I select Subfolder1 which is under the Inbox of my Mailbox, of an Exchange 2000 server. I click on File | Archive , and the Archive dialog box appears. In the 'Archive items older than' drop-down box, today's date is displayed. The Archive file path is C:\Documents and Settings\myIdentity\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\TestArchive1.pst I created Subfolder1 today, and there are only 3 emails in it, dated Sept. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, which I dragged into Subfolder1 from my Inbox. When I click on the OK button of t...

Archive File Backup
The default archive.pst folder location for Outlook 2002 is under a folder called "local settings" (the actual path is quite a bit longer). It does not appear this folder can be shared so the archive.pst can be backed up. Is there a way to share this file for backup or other method I'm missing? Thanks for your help and suggestions. Diane I would go to options in Outlook and change the path for the archives...to say My Documents. That way if you back up My documents (with Outlook closed!) then all is saved... >-----Original Message----- >The default archive.pst...

Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe archive restore
I archived too much of my money files by mistake and would like to restore part or all, have tried and have had no luck. Can it be done? In microsoft.public.money, WayneKey wrote: >I archived too much of my money files by mistake and would like to restore >part or all, have tried and have had no luck. Can it be done? Good news if you are talking about a recent event: the Archive file is a copy of your file as it existed at the time of archive. Rename that file, and open it. Re-download and re-enter info from after that time. "WayneKey" <WayneKey@discussions.microsoft.c...

Scheduling an E2K3 Integrity Check?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows a way to schedule an integrity check in Exchange 2003 using a batch file? I want to run the command “ISINTEG –S <SERVERNAME> -FIX –TEST ALLTESTS”. The problem is that I do not know how (or if it is possible) to dismount a mailbox store through the command line, and remount it after the ISINTEG runs. Also, is there a switch to throw into the ISINTEG command that will tell it which Store number to use so that it doesn’t prompt for which Store I want to run the ISINTEG against? Thanks in advance. Mike Hello Mike, The only way to do is using ...

OWA on E2k3 signature too big?!
I have signature that OWA is saying that is too long. It's not a legal disclaimber, but it a total of 270 characters including spaces. Can I make a change so that OWA will accept a signature this long? Brad Palmer "Brad Palmer" <brad_palmer2@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have signature that OWA is saying that is too long. It's not a > legal disclaimber, but it a total of 270 characters including spaces. > Can I make a change so that OWA will accept a signature this long? IIRC, you can change that value with this tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/de...

Need Archive help
I've recently set up a few worksheets(with the very impressive minds of the people here) that has four consistent formulas across every row. Now Im trying to be able to cut and paste a row to an archive without losing the formulas or the formulas staying in their columns. Is this possible? Or do I have other options, such as linking the worksheet so that it will archive itself? I really dont know how to save or move this info without having to delete the non formulated cells and then adjusting the whole worksheet. Any help comes highly appreciated Thank you Bryan Bloom ...

Design with no experience
Hi There, I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is too big. Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music students that tracks and reports on the following: Contact Info Individual and overall Attendance Individual and overall Payments Material covered in each lesson Cheers! That REALLY depends...! Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an application in Access: 1. Normalization & relational database design 2. Access tips/tricks 3. Graphical user interface design ...

how do you archive a file
how do i archive files on office 2003 I just do a "Save-As" and append a date/time code on the end of the filename, like MyfileName_020408_0835.xls This saves the file as a separate listing, and gives me the notation as to when it was done..... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "archiveing" wrote: > how do i archive files on office 2003 ...

merging archive files
Does anyone know how or if you can merge two different archive files in Outlook 2003? Tony <armbrustertj@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone know how or if you can merge two different > archive files in Outlook 2003? Open them both in Outlook and drag items from one to the other. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. Hi , The simplest way would be to import all the data from one ...

Money 2003--cannot archive
When I try to archive Money 2003 (Delux Personal and Business, v 11.0, it freezes at some point and I have to shut it down manually. I've attempted letting it archive for different lengths of time with the same result. After the attempted archiving, Money has changed all my balances. I've not encountered this problem before. Anyone have a solution? Are there updates and if so where do I find them? I've searched Microsoft with no luck! Thanks, K. Clark In microsoft.public.money, K Clark wrote: >When I try to archive Money 2003 (Delux Personal and Business, v 11.0, it ...

Archiving records in CRm
Can one archive records that are not in use in CRM? Please don't double-post. Thanks, Mike "DMJ" <kmd@hotmail> wrote in message news:eDcgW3E4DHA.3576@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Can one archive records that are not in use in CRM? > > ...

Archive e-mail #2
Do you have any suggestion or tools for archiving the e-mail going to another storage in server side? Please advice. Thanks. ...