Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving

G'Day All,

I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
Exchange mailbox and information store.
My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.

Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
and you experiences with it.

Thanks very much.

0
ferg1 (17)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:

>G'Day All,
>
>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>and you experiences with it.
>
>Thanks very much.

It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
archive time.

EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/4/2007 5:24:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?

Thanks

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:
>
>>G'Day All,
>>
>>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>>
>>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>>and you experiences with it.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>>

> It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> archive time.
>
> EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.

0
ferg1 (17)
4/4/2007 5:34:04 PM
On Apr 4, 6:34 pm, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:skn713h7sugcisknm93l29s6i27jfdmm84@4ax.com...
>

> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
>
> >>G'Day All,
>
> >>I am contemplating SymantecEnterpriseVaultto help solve my growing
> >>Exchange mailbox and information store.
> >>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
> >>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
> >>and you experiences with it.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> > It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> > your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> > mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> > to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> > it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> > days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> > attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> > you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> > archive time.
>
> > EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> > other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.- Hide quoted text -

As a ZANTAZ EAS ASE and Enterprise Vault SE I would recommend EAS
everytime.

Archiving single sheets form workbook
Can I have only one sheet auto archive? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a workbook that has multiple pages. Periodically this workbook main page updates. Subsequently, all the other sheets update. The use will select certain sheets to print, archive and send to clients. I there a way to auto archive these sheets only when they are accesse via a hyperlink? Below is a sample I have used for workbooks created that only have on sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$q$2" Then ActiveW...

Outlook Help (Auto Archive)
Hi. Can someone help me with the fact that MS Outlook 2000, which is my email client, archived an important message that I need to retreive. I need some resources. Thanks, Steve It should be no problem - from the FOLDERS LIST menu and select ARCHIVE FOLDERS and navigate to the e-mail you are looking for (for example click INBOX and then find the message you want) You can then click and drag the message to your active e-mail folder. Hope that helps. "Smitsky" wrote: > Hi. Can someone help me with the fact that MS Outlook 2000, which is my > email client, archived an...

Best email archiving and pst management product
Hi guys, We are looking into going with a 3rd party product for archiving and pst migration and have been looking at KVS/Symantec Enterprise Vault and also at EMC Legato EmailXtender. Does anyone have any feedback about these products, or suggestions about other products, or know of any good articles out there that compare email archiving products? Thanks, Dan I think both of the products are good. V6 of Enterprise Vault is way better than 5. They all have their quirks while implementing generally have numerous pricey options to get all the functionality that you will want. A third...

W2K3 SP1 32 bit and E2K3 SP2 on 64 bit architecture
Will Windows Server 2003 SP1 x32 Enterprise Eidtion and E2K3 SP2 Enterprise Edition run on 64 bit servers? If so, will it run without problems? We have opportunity to replace our Exchange 32 bit servers with 64 bit servers. We know E2K3 won't run on W2K3 x64, so that means installing W2K3 x32. We would send the 32 bit servers to branch offices that would have been getting the 64 bit servers as file servers. I had an epiphemy thinking about Exchange 12 but want to check if any issues. E2K3 is the only app running on the server. Thanks! jremmc No issues, x32 Windows Server and Ex...

E2k3
Hi all! I've strange trouble with Exch 2k3. POP3 works fine, there's no problem. However, SMTP clients cannot send mail. On the server, SMTP is cinfigured to allow relay for authenticated clients only. On the clients (all I have seen), the authentication is enabled. However, server returns: ----- Outlook Express error ----- The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'vojtek@emwacgroup.cz'. Subject 'Test mail...', Account: 'Test', Server: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', Protocol: SMTP...

Archive a Publisher Document and Breaking Links
I have a publisher document which has links to graphs in excel files. These graphs update themselves constantly. When this report is issued I want to save a copy (archive) of it at that point, with the graphs at that point (break the link). So it can be opened at a later stage and have the graphs as they were at the point it was archived. I am using Publisher 2000 SP3 and Excel 2000. Excel is set up so that when the document is opened (link update) it updates the graphs. I would like to keep the format exactly how it is in publisher (no html if format is destroyed). -- Thanks Dave ...

Any way to stop Outllok from renaming to Archive Folders?
I want my display name for my archive folders in my PST to display "Don's Folders". Everytime autoarchive runs it renames my folders to "Archive Folders". Is there any way to stop it from getting renamed while keeping Auto Archive running? Thanks in advance. Don I've never found a way to change the display name of the current, primary archive folder. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Don H" <an...

message archiving #3
Hi We need to keep a separate copy of all incoming and outgoing emails on our exchange 2000 server.I have tried to set up "message archiving" which partly works but it is only showing emails from certain users, it is also not showing any incoming emails I have created a public folder "messagejournal" that is only accessible by certain users From the tracking centre a typical message says SMTP mesage delivered locally to messagejournal@cooperconstruction.local SMTP message sent to badmail the message isnt visible in the public folder Can anyone help me please rega...

Outlook Problem
I am using Outlook 2000, with an active and archive files (outlook.pst and archive.pst files). Everything wa OK until yesterday, when a family member was messing around with my Outlook data. It now appears that these 2 data diles are being used by the Outlook application program in opposite ways, ie, the archive file appears to be active, and the outlook.pst file appears to be the archive file. Specific characteristics are as follows: 1) On the top of the "Outlook Today" page, it used to show "Personal Folders - Outlook Today". Now it shows on the top of the page &...

Outlook 2003 Auto-Archive
I like to keep my inbox fairly empty and usually set the auto-archive to archive any items older than 2 days every day. This has worked fine in Outlook 2000 and XP. Now I'm running Outlook 2003 the auto-archive function appears to operate randomly and it can take up to a week before it decides to do a tidy up. Even clicking the 'Apply this setting to all folders now' button doesn't do a thing. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. If you are working with an Exchange Server you may want to look at MKBA 297226 and 143376. >-----Original Message----- >I like to keep my ...

Outlook Archiving
I have a project to develop a VBA application that disables the normal Outlook (2002) archiving menu item and provides a new menu item to limit archiving to 5 emails at a time. I can't tell if this is even possible. Reply to: dwight_dial@chugachelectric.com Well, first off you could consider setting this regkey to disable most of the autoarchive functionality: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferenc es] "DoAging"=dword:00000000 This will remove: A) Tools / Mailbox Cleanup / AutoArchive B) Tools / Options / Other / AutoArchive C) The ...

Archiving (some) contacts
In Outlook 2007 I want to remove around 3500 of my 4000 contacts but to have them archived not just deleted. What is the best method to do this so that in future I could access them again in Outlook? regards, Beemer beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: > In Outlook 2007 I want to remove around 3500 of my 4000 contacts but > to have them archived not just deleted. What is the best method to > do this so that in future I could access them again in Outlook? Create a new PST, a Contacts folder in that PST, then move the unwanted contacts to that folder. If you already ha...

Post Archived File Still Huge!
I've been using Money for a few years and the program's too damn slow. Even after I do my yearly archive the file continues to grow. I would think that after archiving the file Money works off of would be a lot smaller and faster. Is there a way to speed it up? ...

Outlook Archive NOT using Modified date
Is there anyway to force Archive to look at sent or received and not consider the modified date to archive items. We put in a new server and migrated all the mail to the new server so now the modified date on all emails has changed to that date. Now everything looks only a couple of months old even email from 2 and 3 years ago. I need to get archive to ignore the modified date. Any way to do this? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engine...

Archiving not working properly.
New to this Outlook stuff so be gentle... Partner has Outlook 2000 a/c which is getting slow and beginning to lock up, presumably through a lack of attention to archiving. I understood that the main pst could be up to 2gig in this version but am not sure if, when the user also has the archive folders showing in the folder list, the size of the archive pst has to be included in an overall 2gig 'working margin'. I ask this, because when I tried to 'shave the inbox' a year at a time say, I found that the archive.pst only filled up to 738695, and then seemed to stick even ...

how to archive all incoming/outgoing emails on exchange 2003
We recently upgraded from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. On exchange 5.5, we used to archive all incoming and outgoing mails (using the diagnostic log I think). How can I do the same thing under exchange 2003? For those who is curious, it's a standard corporate policy to archive incoming/outgoing mails. Thanks. look at journaling: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261173/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843105/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] <nobigworld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138052738.764679.83220@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > We recently upgraded from e...

archiving old data in Money 2004
I am running Microsoft Money 2004 and everytime I attempt to archive the 2008 data in my A drive on a floppy disk, I get a windo that opens up saying "The disk where A:\2008 Archive.mny' is being stored is full. You need to make room on your disk by removing files you no longer need." The disk is not full, it is a newly formated disk and is empty. I have checked it numeruous times and used several disks. Can't get past that point. Any ideas from anyone? Thank you in advance. ws In microsoft.public.money, wdstephens1@bellsouth.net wrote: >I am running Microsoft Mon...

E2k3 message forwarding
How can I forward email messages for a recipient to another email address (i.e. someuser@anotherdomain.com). Thank you. Hello Mark Create a contact in Active Directory. Give it the e-mail address that you want to forward to. Go to the properties of the user that you want to forward. Go to Exchange General -> Delivery Options -> Forward to: Click the Modify button and add the contact that you just created. Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS&q...

can archive folders be merged in Outlook 07?
I have 3 separate top line folders that I would like to consolidate. is this possible? They are all under 200mb. Sure, simply drag and drop the items/folders from their current location to the place where you want them to end up. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0566E2CA-8D1F-4FB2-8CDA-325548064C53@...

how do i get back messages from archives
Hi all, I need to access some very old email that has aparently been archived. How is this done? at some point while i was doing some self-help effort i got a message saying something about archive cannot open because of security on computer. I figure i was doing it incorrectly. Regards Headley headley sappleton <inexpensivepcs@comcast.net> wrote: > I need to access some very old email that has aparently been > archived. How is this done? at some point while i was doing some > self-help effort i got a message saying something about archive > cannot open because of s...

Archive Folder Disappeared
I am using Outlook 2003 SP3 and accidentally clicked on "close" on the Archive folder. Now it disappeared from my folder list on the left and I can't find it anymore. Please advise. "jnm6sxz" <jnm6sxz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D866632D-D1F1-46CD-8D6A-2E75B1C0ABA3@microsoft.com... > I am using Outlook 2003 SP3 and accidentally clicked on "close" on the > Archive folder. > > Now it disappeared from my folder list on the left and I can't find it > anymore. > > Please advise. Just do F...

Outlook 2003 and Archive folder
A few weeks ago I got the following message when I tried to access a message in my Archive folder in Outlook 2003... Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The file C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst could not be accessed. I did a search on archive.pst and it came up with 2 files called that, one of which was coloured blue (as in an internet link). I tried to open this one and the program seized up and had to be ended. When I tried to open the other file it opened wi...

Auto Archive into a Public Folder
Can Outlook 2007 be configured so that auto archiving is done into a folder within the Public Folder system? No. Autoarchive uses pst files only. I think Auto-mate (http://www.pergenex.com/auto-mate/index.shtml) would be able to move to a public folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT....

Archive Publive Folders
We need to archive Public Folders as their size has gotten out of hand. However we can't just get rid of the information that is in there. GFI has a nice archiving product but it doesn't support Public Folders. Anyone know of a solution to my problem? Thanks, Scott On 7 Oct 2005 13:54:12 -0700, "wisconsinsports@gmail.com" <wisconsinsports@gmail.com> wrote: >We need to archive Public Folders as their size has gotten out of hand. > However we can't just get rid of the information that is in there. >GFI has a nice archiving product but it doesn't su...

Closing Archive files upon Exiting Outlook
I would like to close all attached PSTs (particularly archive) from Outlook upon shutdown. In effect, when the user again launches Outlook, he/she must manually attach their archive folder. Is there a way to do this? Would prefer using group policy or putting this in the Office transforms. The reason is the psts are located over a WAN and would like to limit the hit on the network. How would that limit the "hit"? Note that psts over a lan/wan are not supported by Microsoft. On 12 Apr 2005 09:20:18 -0700, rambogjohn@netscape.net wrote: >I would like to close all attached P...