Re-associating users with mailbox

I am using Exchange 2003. I'm new to it, and have been using it about two
weeks.

I have accidentally deleted several users that have mailboxes. The mailboxes
remained intact, but when I re-created the users in AD, new mailboxes were
created as well, with the same names of course.

How can I re-associate the users with their original mailboxes, most of
which contain material that needs to accessed?

Thanks for your time.
0
Holo20 (45)

Hi Holo20,

Within Active Directory Users and Computers, identify the newly created user
accounts.  These accounts are going to be connected to the old mailboxes, so
they don't need their new mailboxes.  Incidentally, AD doesn't automatically
create a mailbox everytime you create a new user, unless you're using a
provisioning system that does?

I'm using Windows Server 2003, so I have the benefit of multiple selecting.
So, multiple select these accounts, right click and go to Exchange Tasks.
From there, select Delete Mailbox and confirm until the deed is done.

Now go to Exchange System Manager (ESM).  In ESM, view the mailbox store
that has the old mailboxes that you would like to reconnect to the new user
accounts.  For each mailbox, it should have a red cross against it.  This
indicates that it isn't associated with a user and has been deleted but is
still within the retention period before Echange completely purges it.  Once
it's purged you've got to restore from a backup, but in that "in between"
period, you can reconnect each deleted mailbox to an existing user account.

For each mailbox, right-click on the mailbox and select Reconnect.  Select
the user account it should be connected it (ie the new user
account)

Just be careful because you've recently deleted the newly created mailboxes.
Given enough time, or after running the Cleanup Agent, ESM will also show
these with a red cross, so just make sure that you reattach the old
mailboxes to the new user accounts, rather than reconnecting the new
mailboxes.

Clear as mud, right? :)

HTH,
Katherine Coombs

"Holo20" <Holo20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Exchange 2003. I'm new to it, and have been using it about two
> weeks.
>
> I have accidentally deleted several users that have mailboxes. The
> mailboxes
> remained intact, but when I re-created the users in AD, new mailboxes were
> created as well, with the same names of course.
>
> How can I re-associate the users with their original mailboxes, most of
> which contain material that needs to accessed?
>
> Thanks for your time.

Katherine, thanks so much for your reply. However, after I deleted the
mailboxes as you instructed, no red x appeared beside the deleted ones. If I
go to Exchange tasks for that user, I now have the option (again) to create a
mailbox for that user. I'm not doing anything special with this installation,
it's straight out-of-the-box. I did delete a mailbox (on purpose!) several
days ago, and that does have a red x. I don't know when that 'clean-up'
period you mentioned is going to happen, and I dread it if it comes before
I've resolved this issue.

"Katherine Coombs" wrote:

> Hi Holo20,
>
> Within Active Directory Users and Computers, identify the newly created user
> accounts.  These accounts are going to be connected to the old mailboxes, so
> they don't need their new mailboxes.  Incidentally, AD doesn't automatically
> create a mailbox everytime you create a new user, unless you're using a
> provisioning system that does?
>
> I'm using Windows Server 2003, so I have the benefit of multiple selecting.
> So, multiple select these accounts, right click and go to Exchange Tasks.
> From there, select Delete Mailbox and confirm until the deed is done.
>
> Now go to Exchange System Manager (ESM).  In ESM, view the mailbox store
> that has the old mailboxes that you would like to reconnect to the new user
> accounts.  For each mailbox, it should have a red cross against it.  This
> indicates that it isn't associated with a user and has been deleted but is
> still within the retention period before Echange completely purges it.  Once
> it's purged you've got to restore from a backup, but in that "in between"
> period, you can reconnect each deleted mailbox to an existing user account.
>
> For each mailbox, right-click on the mailbox and select Reconnect.  Select
> the user account it should be connected it (ie the new user
> account)
>
> Just be careful because you've recently deleted the newly created mailboxes.
> Given enough time, or after running the Cleanup Agent, ESM will also show
> these with a red cross, so just make sure that you reattach the old
> mailboxes to the new user accounts, rather than reconnecting the new
> mailboxes.
>
> Clear as mud, right? :)
>
> HTH,
> Katherine Coombs
>
> "Holo20" <Holo20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Exchange 2003. I'm new to it, and have been using it about two
> > weeks.
> >
> > I have accidentally deleted several users that have mailboxes. The
> > mailboxes
> > remained intact, but when I re-created the users in AD, new mailboxes were
> > created as well, with the same names of course.
> >
> > How can I re-associate the users with their original mailboxes, most of
> > which contain material that needs to accessed?
> >
> > Thanks for your time.

0
Holo20 (45)
11/9/2004 6:13:02 AM
Hi Holo20,

So it looks like we have three different types of mailboxes:

1.  (OLD) Old ones that we're trying to reconnect to new users
2.  (DUMMY) Dummy mailbox that you recently deleted on purpose
3.  (NEW) New mailboxes that were created when new user accounts were
created

Right now, none of these should be connected to any user accounts, so when
you run Cleanup Agent on the Mailbox Store, they should all have red
crosses.  Please note that I'm assuming that the OLD mailboxes are still
within the retention period so that running the Cleanup Agent isn't going to
purge them forever.  I don't know what retention period you've set, but
let's just check that first.  From memory (sorry but I'm not in front of an
Exchange server):

1.  Within ESM go to the Mailbox Store
2.  Right-click and select Properties
3.  Go to the Limits tab and review the number in the Keep deleted mailboxes
for (days) field.  By default it's 30 days so if you haven't changed
anything, then that's what it should be.

So, assuming that you've run the Cleanup agent and that you can see all
three types of mailboxes, which of these have red crosses against them?

> [...]
>> these with a red cross, so just make sure that you reattach the old
>> mailboxes to the new user accounts, rather than reconnecting the new
>> mailboxes.
>>
>> Clear as mud, right? :)
>>
>> HTH,
>> Katherine Coombs
>>
>> "Holo20" <Holo20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Exchange 2003. I'm new to it, and have been using it about
>> >two
>> > weeks.
>> >
>> > I have accidentally deleted several users that have mailboxes. The
>> > mailboxes
>> > remained intact, but when I re-created the users in AD, new mailboxes
>> > were
>> > created as well, with the same names of course.
>> >
>> > How can I re-associate the users with their original mailboxes, most of
>> > which contain material that needs to accessed?

Again, thanks for staying with me! Most of my issue has been resolved. Here's
what I finally did:

Deleted (in AD) one of the originally deleted users, and then ran the
cleanup agent on that mailbox store. The red x appeared then on the
account(s!!). Then I re-created the user, and then was able to re-connect the
mailbox as you instructed. I do realize the implications in AD when deleting
a user, what with the new SID and all, but in this case I don't really have a
lot going on security/permission wise, and could do it without much trauma.

After the first one was successful, I did the rest with complete success. My
only question now is, one of the previous users that I deleted was the AD
account associated with the mailbox 'SystemMailbox'. It has a red x now next
to it, but I'm unsure of how to recreate this built-in system account. Any
suggestions?

"Katherine Coombs" wrote:

> [...]
> >> is
> >> still within the retention period before Echange completely purges it.
> >> Once
> >> it's purged you've got to restore from a backup, but in that "in between"
> >> period, you can reconnect each deleted mailbox to an existing user
> >> account.
> >>
> >> For each mailbox, right-click on the mailbox and select Reconnect.
> >> Select
> >> the user account it should be connected it (ie the new user
> >> account)
> >>
> >> Just be careful because you've recently deleted the newly created
> >> mailboxes.
> >> Given enough time, or after running the Cleanup Agent, ESM will also show
> >> these with a red cross, so just make sure that you reattach the old
> >> mailboxes to the new user accounts, rather than reconnecting the new

0
Holo20 (45)

Moving Mailbox and Cleanup Operation (Exchange 2003 SP1)
I am attempting to move a mail ox from one exchange server to another. Both servers are Exchange 2003. I've ran the move operation via the wizard and encountered some errors. As result the mail box was not moved. I've investigated the errors and found the to serious and now I'm attempting to move the mail box a second time. When I run the move operation via the wizard I get a HTML message as follows: After moving a mailbox, you must wait for a cleanup operation to complete before you can move it again. How do invoke the cleanup opearation manually? How do schedule ...

OWA not allowing child users
I have a child domain and the users in the child domain can open their emails that reside on the root normaly, but when trying to use OutlookWebAccess internaly or externaly they are not allowed. I tryed giving full access to exchage folder for those users, I also change the settings of Default web site to \. I also gave users the right to logon locally to the exchange server. Any ideas please help ...

Create User Wizard Insert Issue
I have placed a create user wizard on a page and added two textbox fields in addition for First name (id = FirstName) and Last Name (id = LastName) However when I try to insert all the information into my created table all I get is errors. I've tried for hours to understand various web examples and just am missing something. Below is my vb code on my code behind page. I keep getting "NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code" My database table does not accept nulls for First or Last names. But since these values have always been provided when "testin...

IWA automatically re-enables on OWA folders.
This is a bit of a strange one. We're running OWA on an E2k3 cluster in support of a large client base of mixed Win2k and XP Pro clients. Our site is SSL secured and therefore we have manually DISABLED Integrated Windows Authentication on the Exchange virtual directory within Exchange System Manager, leaving only basic enabled. The system has been running fine for months but recently we ran into a problem where none of our Win2k clients could log on. After a whole hunt, we found that this was because Integrated Windows Authentication had mysteriously switched itself back on! Microsoft...

Re: SUMIF only it has 3 ceretain texts in the same row
Look at this formula it sums the value if it has the pacific text. =SUMIF(E2:E47,"Pattern Change",D2:D47)+SUMIF(A2:A7,"Without Patter Change",C2:C47) But how can you create a formula to meet a certain condition meaning i "PATTERN CHANGE" is in A2: and '1' is in B2: and "MACHINE" in C2: The grab the the value in E2: I tried to create this formula but it doe not work. =SUMIF(A2,C2"PATTERN",'1',"MACHINE",E2) Any suggestions? Thnaks -- vane032 ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

Should be extra user defined fields in General Entry
It would be helpful for information purposes as well as customization purposes to have a couple of user defined fields for the entire journal entry and possibly a couple for each journal entry line. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft....

Domain User Cannot Send to Public Folders
Summary: Unless I grant a domain user explicit rights to a mail enabled public folder, mail sent by that user is bounced back to the user. External users can sucessfully send mail to that folder. Details: Exchange 2003 SP2 in native mode, on W2K3 SP1 servers in native mode. Anonymous is given Contributor rights (Create Items, but not Folder Visible) to the folder. Admin Tab: This folder is available to: All users with access permissions Error: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: FOLDERNAME on 4/12/2006 12:31 PM The message reached the recipient's e...

Trying to Pull User Name From Network
Hello, I am working on a database that my work uses. It has a FE/BE. I am an uber novice when it comes to code...so what I am looking for is a way to place in code so that when I click the Save/Exit button it will pull that persons Alias from the network (being they have to log on using their alias to get on the network) into the desired field. I just don't know the code or exactly where to place it. This is a very extensive database used for storing about 9000 employee's info. and we are looking for the ability to shave off time by making the date/time and who updated it fields au...

Drop down list associations
I would like to upgrade my services invoice with an associative, drop down list. The Drop Down List will include all services available (about 40) and I have figured out how to do this, however, it is the other, associated cells that I don't understand. With every service there is "Operated" & "Standby", under each is "Regular" & "Overtime". I have all of these hourly costs in cells in the same workbook as the services, and as a hidden part of each invoice. Now here is the part that I don't understand. When I pick a service, out of t...

Dynamics GP windows freeze for certain users
V10, SP3, I have a couple of users and seem to freeze up in Dynamics on 2 windows in Dynamics: 1. manufactuirng MRP workbench 2. Manufacturing BOM View Most users have no issues but 3 users do. We are using 2 terminal servers Seems to be random when it happens, for example user1 froze over and over on the workbench yesterday, but today user 1 has no issues... thanks! -- Doug ...

Cannot view free/busy information for one user.
I am having a problem with a user. We are having problems with individuals viewing his free/busy information. It seems like the account is not updating the server. I initially thought that it may have just been some confusion in the user's mailbox. I created a profile for the user and ran outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy. The problem went away and we were able to see their mail. I stupidly assumed that it was fixed. Another co-worker of mine explained a few months later that we were doing this monthly to make their free/busy information available. I went to Options, Calendar, Free/Busy I...

Exchange W2k3 : mails send but not by user
Hi, We're having problems with our exchange 2003. Something is sending mail using our mailserver. Mails are send internal and external, and ofcourse we get listed in spamlists. Only authenticated users can use our mail server. I've checked the whole network for virusses ..... everything is clean but the problem is still not solved. Is there someone who can give me some advise. This are the internetheaders from an internal mail, and the user did not send the mail. Maybe bassed on this info it's easier to give some help Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 Received: from k...

Users Mailbox Size
After setting a custom setting for the storage limits, how long before the settings take affect? Does this have to do with the RUS running? thanks, - gabe On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:44:00 -0400, "Gabe Matteson" <gmattesonATinquery.biz> wrote: >After setting a custom setting for the storage limits, how long before the >settings take affect? Does this have to do with the RUS running? thanks, >- gabe > SHould kick in within the 15 minute timeframe, 30 at the outside. Problems? Thanks, the RUS service updates the AD settings correct? "Mark Arnold [MVP]"...

Trouble creating new mailboxes
I needed to set upa new user the other day and Exchange no longer auto-creates the mailbox and email address. In ADUC, I opened the OU, and did New|User... and indicated that they would require and exchange mailbox. This is the procedure that I have always used. I tried manually adding the email address and the mailbox does not get created. I have tried accessing the mailbox with outlook2003 and OWA. Neither worked. What should I be looking for that might have been turned off? Thanks, Steve "Stephen M" wrote: > I needed to set upa new user the other day and Exchange no ...

Can you add a user-defined field to the new task dialog box?
Hi All: I use a custom arrangement to view my tasks in which I have a field called "No." (for number). I use it to order the tasks each day. That works fine. However, when I double click a task or if I start a new task with the shortcut key "Ctrl+Shift+K" (or Ctrl+N), a dialog box opens. This standard dialog box for an untitled task doesn't contain a field for my "No.". Is there a way I can modify that dialog box to add a number field that would show up in my custom arrangement under the "No." field? i.e. basically, I want to ad...

Link path issue: users in different versions 97 & 2002
Hi, Three workbooks on server: one workbook has the summaries and reports from links to the two other workbooks with data. One user on Excel 97, other user on Excel 2002. Files originally created in 97. Excel 97 won't keep the links, tries pointing to local files in paths that don't exist. All links are good and confirmed in 2002, saved & closed. Open in 97 and dialog boxes pop up looking for the links. Correct the links in 97 and all the data becomes 'zero'. This might not have anything to do with the versions, although that was a recent change and this is a recent pr...

Wrong Mailbox Size
I cleared out a users mailbox from over 400 MB to 10 KB. Under the system manager the user's mailbox is currently 294 MB. How can I get the accurate number to display? How long have you waited? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "chad" <slidellinternational@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158695601.129702.286810@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... >I cleared out a users mailbox from over 400 MB to 10 KB. Under the > system manager the user's mailbox is currently 294 MB. How can I get > the accurate numbe...

User input Criteria 01-17-08
Hi All, I want the user to be prompted to input the Criteria. I know that you use the [ any words ]. However I only want them to have to enter the first 4 charaters of the data. I was thinking it would be like this: Like "[Enter the first four characters] *" That doesn't work. What would be my options? Thanks Matt -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200801/1 Try: Like [Enter the first four characters] & "*" -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Per...

Ownership In Public Mailbox's
My group has access to a public mailbox to answer client queries. Is is possible to tell if and who in the group responded to an email in the public pamilbox? If so how? We are using Outlook 2002 on an exchange server. Thanks Frank ...

end users agreement pops up everytime i open office word 2003
end users license agreement pops everytime i open msn office word 2003 Try logging in as Administrator and accept the agreement. Does that help? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5B16F4E-823A-48E6-A5AF-2D12373D0FCE@microsoft.com... > end users license agreement pops everytime i open msn office word 2003 ...

User can't see Input boxes
I have an Excel spreadsheet with buttons that run macros. I am using Excel 2007 and have 2 monitors. I created the sheet with the Excel application window on my "extended desktop" monitor and the Visual Basic window on my "primary" monitor. Now, when I e-mail the workbook to another user who only has his laptop monitor, nothing happens when he clicks the buttons to run the macros. Clicking a button should cause an Input box to appear where the user is asked to click in a cell of a particular color, but he sees nothing. Pressing ESC should fire a message ...

New user wizard fails to create email acct.
Newb here running Win2k3 w/SBS. All works well for several years until today: From server manager ran add new user wizard. Gave name etc and select USER template as usual. Wizard completes without setting up email for user. Checking general tab shows no email in email slot, email addresses tab is blank though previously would have SMTP acct listed. Now, I have tried manualy entering email info in general tab and using add function to add SMTP email but user doesn't show up on client end when running Outlook2k3: Setting up exchange in CP Mail widget says unable to find u...

Creating Two Email Accounts On One User Profile
On our old computer we just had one user profile, but when opening outlook we could either chose "MAIN" or "Lori"..... any thoughts on how to? That sounds like you had seperate Outlook Profiles (not windows users) You can either create a new outlook profile & use the other mail account, or set up both email accounts in the current profile - the mail wont be seperate "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF58C8EB-3629-4ED9-9F84-5435CFCD5C9B@microsoft.com... > On our old computer we just had one user profile, but when openi...

Adding textboxes based on what user inputs in Total Students textb
Hi All, How can I add text boxes on the form based on what user inputs in a textbox? For eg: I have a textbox "Total Students" , so Once I input a number in that textbox, I want to have that many textboxes on the form. If I input 4 I want four textboxes to be displayed on the form. In addition to this: I want all this textboxes to be displayed in a specific frame, I have made this frame as "vertically scrollable" as I have limited space on my form and want to fit in as many textbo, Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance ...

Migrate SBS2K3 (45 mailboxes) to SBS2K8, not using either MS or Swing, feasible?
I may have to migrate a SBS2K3 to SBS2K8 soon. I would like to create new accounts on new server rather than move the old AD to it. Is it feasible to migrate all 45 mailboxes thru PST files? I am wondering how many people have done this? Thanks jack Yup do able. "EXMERGE" I put the .PST's into each of the Users Folder Don't forget to Login as Administrator on a PC and Export the Public Folders So you can move them Also Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist World Wide 24hr SBS R...