queues #2

After a standard install of SBS2003 and ensuring open
relay is off, I'm noticed messages turning up in the
queues that aren't originating from this exchange server
and I feel shouldn't be there. For example: SmallBusiness
SMTP-connector - el-nacional.com (SMTP Connector) with
several messages from the sbs postmaster in the queue.
There are a number apparently from foreign countries
(e.g. home20.inet.tele.dk; and worldnet.fr and
topofferz.net.  What's going on here?
0
anonymous (74722)

"jkmonroe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After a standard install of SBS2003 and ensuring open
>relay is off, I'm noticed messages turning up in the
>queues that aren't originating from this exchange server
>and I feel shouldn't be there. For example: SmallBusiness
>SMTP-connector - el-nacional.com (SMTP Connector) with
>several messages from the sbs postmaster in the queue.
>There are a number apparently from foreign countries
>(e.g. home20.inet.tele.dk; and worldnet.fr and
>topofferz.net.  What's going on here?

If they're "from" the null address "<>" they're either NDR's or DSN's
of some sort.

If they're in your queues, and they're "from" a domain that's
different to yours, then you're probably being used as a SMTP relay.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"jkmonroe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After a standard install of SBS2003 and ensuring open
>relay is off, I'm noticed messages turning up in the
>queues that aren't originating from this exchange server
>and I feel shouldn't be there. For example: SmallBusiness
>SMTP-connector - el-nacional.com (SMTP Connector) with
>several messages from the sbs postmaster in the queue.
>There are a number apparently from foreign countries
>(e.g. home20.inet.tele.dk; and worldnet.fr and
>topofferz.net.  What's going on here?

Without the benefit of any other information and assuming that you
haven't got a public IP address (why else would you be using POP3)
Your ISP is probably receiving piles of spam from these senders and
your server (since it's the only one that knows what are and what are
not legitimate addresses) is sending NDR's back to the dmains.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
mark7219 (5666)
1/18/2004 7:05:33 PM
I am having a simular problem.  However, there are so many in the que the server is crawling I shut down SMTP for the time being.  I am now unable to recieve mail.  Can you help me in stopping the que overflow?  I thought that I stopped relaying however, now I am not sure.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Stacy
0
mcbriens (3)
1/18/2004 11:36:05 PM
To follow up Rich's post, if they are "from" a domain other than yours,
you're probably being used for relay by someone authenticating against your
server. This typically happens when you leave an Administrator account with
a weak (or no) password or leave the Guest account enabled.

If they're from <>, then apparently you're being targeted to receive
craploads of spam and you're sending back NDR's because they are targeting
bad addresses...

324958 HOW TO: Block Open SMTP Relaying and Clean Up Exchange Server SMTP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324958

251149 Guest Account Allows Relaying Regardless of Routing Restrictions
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251149

319356 HOW TO: Prevent Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail in Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319356

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM>
>Subject: Re: queues
>Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:02:24 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>"jkmonroe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>After a standard install of SBS2003 and ensuring open
>>relay is off, I'm noticed messages turning up in the
>>queues that aren't originating from this exchange server
>>and I feel shouldn't be there. For example: SmallBusiness
>>SMTP-connector - el-nacional.com (SMTP Connector) with
>>several messages from the sbs postmaster in the queue.
>>There are a number apparently from foreign countries
>>(e.g. home20.inet.tele.dk; and worldnet.fr and
>>topofferz.net.  What's going on here?
>
>If they're "from" the null address "<>" they're either NDR's or DSN's
>of some sort.
>
>If they're in your queues, and they're "from" a domain that's
>different to yours, then you're probably being used as a SMTP relay.
>
>--
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
rroddy (682)

SMTP Queue?
Hello, Is it possible to copy the messages from one SMTP Queue to another SMTP Queue on a different server? Will the messages be delivered correctly? I built a new Exchange Server to replace one that won't send mail and we've been troubleshooting it for two days. Exchange 2000 SP3 Windows 2000 SP4 Thanks! "Jeff T" <jtslist@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135337972.778223.240050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Is it possible to copy the messages from one SMTP Queue to another SMTP > Queue on a different server? Will the messages be d...

print #2
I input PPTED1 in a cell, but it just shows the last character 1 in print preview. Please help. Thank you. Try selecting the cell, going to format and choosing a TEXT format. This should not alter what you're entering atall. Keep us posted -- Dan Walters "OR" wrote: > I input PPTED1 in a cell, but it just shows the last character 1 in print > preview. > Please help. Thank you. Sorry, I am not able to try yours as the actual situation is no longer available. My colleague has rectified it by removing the word wrap and widening the cell. I will give your so...

Rules for SENT messages #2
When messages come in I can create rules to aotmatically sort and move them into folders, is there a way I can do this with messages that I have sent? I like to keep track on my conversations and I am getting tired of moving messages out of the sent folder. If there is no way to automate this then maybe someone from Microsoft can take this a suggestion to improve Outlook. Al You can create rules for Sent messages in Outlook 2007, but not sure which version you are using. "Alfred Kaufmann" wrote: > When messages come in I can create rules to aotmatically sort and move > t...

Validate data part 2
The coding given by Dave works fine. it traps erros as a whoel in the range. However... I have a problem with null values, cells in range can have null values, null values are OK. I want so search each cell in the range then if its contents is null replace it with zero. Something like: define range for each cell in range if value is null then value = 0 end if I do not know how to loop through the cells in the range. Thanx again. dim myCell as range dim myRng as range set myrng = worksheets("sheet999").range("a1:D9") for each mycell in myrng.ce...

RoboToolz RT-7715-2 Automatic Leveling 2-Beam Level and Plumb Crossliner
Price:$299.00 Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B000CPJ3UQ Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B000CPJ3UQ I AM VDERY PLEASED WITH THE LEVEL, SEEMS WELL MADE WITH NICE CASE. THE SIZE IS ALSO NICE AND EASE OF OPERATION. I DEFINITELY LIKE HAVING THE CROSSLINE FEATURE, HANDY FOR INSTALLING CABINETS. this thing has helped us layout and reduce our errors for measuring showers & Mirrors. not that great in real bright light and long distances from the source, but an excellent value. This level works great for simple indoor tasks. The mounting options are gre...

Matching cells #2
In column A I have a series of numbers which contains some of the numbers in column D. Column E contains names that are associated with the numbers in column D. Is there a formula I can use so that the name from column E will be copied into column B based on matching the numbers. A B C D E 01 01 amy 05 02 jim 06 03 alice 04 tom 05 eric 06 lisa In this case amy would copy to row 1 column B ...

emailing from outlook #2
I can not email from my outlook 2003. I can receive and reply but when I compose an email and try to send it, it goes to the outbox and will not send...I get error 0x800ccc0f. I am very new to outlook and this point would much rather go back to outlook express that was on my other computer....It seemed much easier and user friendly....can someone help me with this problem emailing from outlook glwood, you wrote on Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:25:02 -0800: > I can not email from my outlook 2003. I can receive and reply but when I > compose an email and try to send it, it goes to the ...

2 monthly interest rates
I am trying to set up my credit card account such that every month 2 rates are applied - one for purchases and one for cash withdrawals. I am using MS Money 2003 Standard and it only allows for one interest rate. Any help would be appreciated. ...

outlook PST file #2
Need help I installed Win XP PRO then Office 2003 and tried to import my PST's. It did that just fine but for some reason it gave me two Personal folder both with all the same files and folders. I need to know how to get rid of one of the personal folder. This happened to me also, but I have 3 personal folders. Can you post the solution if you find it elsewhere? Thanks... Can you right-click on one of them and select Close? willy wrote: > Need help I installed Win XP PRO then Office 2003 and > tried to import my PST's. It did that just fine but for > some reason it ga...

Retrieving data from Exchange Server #2
I have recieved this message: "Retrieving data from Exchange Server - and if I cancel the message I fail to connect to Calendar or my Inbox. The message appears sporadically as most times I can switch between Calendar and Inbox . The Outlook get stuck until I close the Outlook. Some one know how can I disable this message? This message indicates that Outlook senses slowness in Exchange response and can almost literally be caused by anything from Outlook to the Exchange Server and anything in between. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backup...

Conflict wih Database Language Version 1.2.0151 when installing RM
Has anyone found a solution when facing a "Version Mismatch: This application requires language database 1.08 and the language database file you are using is version 1.2.0151..." I am installing RMS on a HP Win XP Media Center. I did not face this issue when installing it on a Sony Win XP Media Center. Tried looking in the "Add/Remove Software" but can't find an update to uninstall in order to fall back to the previous version. Any suggestions and / or known solution will be highly appreciated. Thanks! Are you installing this for a live database ? The current ...

IMF filter #2
Some mail received from our *internal* servers sent through CDO (active server pages on our internal webserver 10.10.4.1) is considered junk-mail by the IMF (logon-info etc...). So, I added 10.0.0.0 (255.0.0.0) in the global accept list (Global Settings - Message Delivery). But at no avail ? Messages keep beeing moved to my junk-e-mail folder. Is the setting in the global accept list above wrong ? Do I have to restart the services to activate the global accept list ? Thanks for any help Rudy Steyaert IMF still set to default values i.e. no action block SCL 8 - move SCL 8 We were pla...

VB code help #2
Hi, I need help writing a simple code that will take a number between 1-4, out of a single colum in a specific worksheet and identify it with a word. ie. 1=Breakfast, 2=Lunch, 3=Supper and 4=Night. Here is a little back ground, I wrote a program in my TI calc that stores 1-4 to represent the meal time. I now have taken that Matrix from my calc and opened it as a worksheet to make a graph out of it. on my graph I want the words "Breakfast", "Lunch", ect. spelled out at the corresponding spot. Ive done VB code before but I have kind of forgotten most of it :( Thank...

non vba way to print non continuous ranges #2
Thanks Myrna, I didn't know about the hide columns facility. It makes what I want to do a lot easier : -- DavidObei ----------------------------------------------------------------------- DavidObeid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=223 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27196 ...

public folder autoreply #2
I have Exchange 2003 and i am using public folders. One folder have autoreply. Every e-mail that comes in is replied with automatic message, but sometimes if user who sends you e-mail has out of office turned on then there will be cycle. Out of office message comes in and it is replied automatically, then there is another out of office message which is replied again.... How to make a rule that checks if some e-mail has been already replyed let's say today? Hi, You could just put a rule above this that deletes the message if it has Out of Office AutoReply and place it above this rule an...

merging cells #2
My diagram I must do is merging cells and not losing data. Getting rid of just a few grid lines, but keeping colum lines. Is there something that is not activated? ...

how do i remove conversion of 0.001 into 1 #2
when i put any numeric value in excell it is displayed in fractional mode for eg. 1 is displayed as 0.001 Go to Tools>Options>Edit and uncheck the Fixed Decimal checkbox. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ndnlhr" <ndnlhr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13362995-7B8F-4825-BCA2-D3F701CA03DE@microsoft.com... > when i put any numeric value in excell it is displayed in fractional mode for > eg. 1 is displayed as 0.001 > ...

Printing greeting cards 2 up-half of page is fuzzy. HELP??
Greetings! I make greeting cards for pet owners. When I print them out (2 up on the page), the second card looks fuzzy and not as crisp as the first card. The cards only have a printed back and a front, they are not printed inside. To try to describe this a little better, the templates for greeting cards in publisher have 4 sides, and you would fold the page in quarters. Normally, it would be 1 card per page. Because I don't print all 4 sides, I have made them the exact same image on pages 1 and 3, 2 and 4. (Front of first card being "page 1" back of first card being "p...

Hyperlink Issue #2
I have an issue with hyperlinks. When you click on the hyperlink on a webpage it returns an error stating that the the "item could not be created". Outlook 2000/Windows 2000 ...

SMTP Virtual Server #2
all our external mail is being delayed in the Exchange server, it shows in the "Default SMTP virtual server" and it shows the number of messges, i checked in the IIS manager, under "Local Computer" I don't see any "SMTP virtual server". there should be one, right? is this why the mail is being delayed? Exch2003 on Win2003 thanks "CarlT" <CarlT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >all our external mail is being delayed in the Exchange server, it shows in >the "Default SMTP virtual server" and it shows the number of messges, ...

Numbers of queue items
Hi, Is it possible to display the numbers of queue items such as: queue name (x) I wonder why this is not included as a basic feature of queues. I have a client who asked for the same thing. Answer is you need to build a custom screen using the sdk ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6DFAA75-179C-4C6C-95F9-DC9C36264CAC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to display the numbers of queue items such as: > > queue name (x) > >...

COUNTIF? #2
Basically I have 13 cells spread out over a spreadsheet that normally have zero values. What I want to do is count the number of them that have non-zero (actually will be greater than zero) values and return that value in another cell. What I was thinking of was using COUNTIF, but that only seems to work for a contiguous range of cells. =COUNTIF (A1:H1, "<0") will count the number of cells from A1 to H1 that have a value greater than zero. My problem is that the cells are non-contiguous. For example =COUNTIF(A1, C1, H1, F1, K1, L1, O1, "<0") does not work. Anyone help...

eConnect Sample Code #2
Hi All, I found eConnect_CSharp_ConsoleApplication.sln is mentioned in msdn but I don't where I can download this solution so that I can play around with it. Anyone knows where to get that, please let me know. Appreciations, -- Toi Day ...

Out of Office Autoreply #2
I am running Outlook 2002 and am having trouble locating the Out o Office autoreply feature. From my understanding, the out of offic assistent should be under Tools, but for some reason I'm not seeing i there. Any help would be greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com you need exchange server for it. "hooknows" <hooknows.15iey6@outlookforum-nospam_.com> skrev i melding news:hooknows.15iey6@outlookforum-nospam_.com... > &...

email newsletter #2
How do I add more pages to my email newsletter? You can't - it's a one page deal. You could send it as a .PDF instead. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Lindsey" <Lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91C5C2B8-2E75-4ED1-8EF6-4DE6EBD47E8D@microsoft.com... > How do I add more pages to my email newsletter? Bummer. Thanks. Do you know where I can find any multiple page templates "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote: > You can't - it's a one page deal. You could send it as a .PDF instead. > > -- > JoAnn P...