Questions about exchange server 2000

Hi all,

I'm new to the sys admin game and as with most jobs, been thrown in at the
deep
end.

The company I'm working for has an Exchange 2000 server that is constantly
getting spammed and trying to bounce mail back all over the place. As you can
imagine, it's not doing much for the performance of things.

I have set the server to forward all NDR's to me so I can see if they are
simply
just spam or mails that should be going elsewhere but either the person has
left
or an e-mail address has been entered incorrectly. What I would ideally like
is for
these messages to come directly to me so I can forward on any ones that have
been misspelt, contact the relevant companies for ones where the employee has
left and just delete the rest.

My problem lies that I can't work out how to view any messages stuck in SMTP
queues (of which I currently have a list of about 60, 50 of those are from
spam
sites). I know I can go to the properties after enumerating the queue and it
will
tell me the message id and when the server last tried to send it, but the
messages
say they are from postmaster@mycompany.com and it won't let me save the
contents for me to view.

Also, I'm guessing that having 60 SMTP queues is a lot to have? Is there
anyway
to stop these things from coming in as much? I am currently looking into some
antispam software which I'm hoping will bounce things before they get to the
server. Is this the right way to be going? Or is there another route I can
take?

I've been in this job for a week now and with it being my first sys admin
role I've
had a lot of learning to do, so I apologise if the answers to any of my
queries may
seem dumb/obvious.

Regards
--
Stuart Luscombe

Hi again,

I've just tried to access the Administrator mailbox as I noticed it has
about 2000
items and I thought I'd give it a clearout and add myself in as a delegate
while I was at it. Only problem is, when I log into my machine on the domain
admin account, setup outlook to login on that address, it is coming back
saying 'cannot add as name is not in address book', as it seems my
predecessor removed the name from the address book. I've just spent some time
trying to work out how to add it back in, but have not been able to work this
one out. I went through the settings for the GAL, but found that I could not
seem to add any names in.....

Any idea on this one as well???

"Stuart Luscombe" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the sys admin game and as with most jobs, been thrown in at the
> deep
> end.
>
> The company I'm working for has an Exchange 2000 server that is constantly
> getting spammed and trying to bounce mail back all over the place. As you can
> imagine, it's not doing much for the performance of things.
>
> I have set the server to forward all NDR's to me so I can see if they are
> simply
> just spam or mails that should be going elsewhere but either the person has
> left
> or an e-mail address has been entered incorrectly. What I would ideally like
> is for
> these messages to come directly to me so I can forward on any ones that have
> been misspelt, contact the relevant companies for ones where the employee has
> left and just delete the rest.
>
> My problem lies that I can't work out how to view any messages stuck in SMTP
> queues (of which I currently have a list of about 60, 50 of those are from
> spam
> sites). I know I can go to the properties after enumerating the queue and it
> will
> tell me the message id and when the server last tried to send it, but the
> messages
> say they are from postmaster@mycompany.com and it won't let me save the
> contents for me to view.
>
> Also, I'm guessing that having 60 SMTP queues is a lot to have? Is there
> anyway
> to stop these things from coming in as much? I am currently looking into some
> antispam software which I'm hoping will bounce things before they get to the
> server. Is this the right way to be going? Or is there another route I can
> take?
>
> I've been in this job for a week now and with it being my first sys admin
> role I've
> had a lot of learning to do, so I apologise if the answers to any of my
> queries may
> seem dumb/obvious.
>
> Regards
> --
> Stuart Luscombe

Exch. 5.5 to Exch. 2003 question
Exch. 5.5 to Exch. 2003 question We are running (1) one Exchange 5.5 server w/sp 4 in our company and it is running on a Windows NT 4.0 server w/sp 6a. We are running (2) two Windows 2003 Servers and Active Directory (AD), DNS, DHCP and WINS. We would like to migrate to Exchange 2003 running on a NEW Windows 2003 Server box. Here are the steps I was thinking about doing for the migration. Can someone take a look at them and see if I am on the right track? 1. Install Windows 2003 on the NEW server (with all the Windows updates) and join it to the domain. 2. Install AND run ADC FROM the...

Exchange 2007
I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of our two SmartHosts. I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason. When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional SmartHosts on the Network tab. To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost? Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost. Thanks Ron On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans <GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an Exch...

Restoring Exchange 2003 Cluster to single server ????
We are testing Exchange 2003 in a disaser recovery test. Our live system runs 2 node Exchange 2003 cluster. We are planning a recovery to a single Exchange 2003 server with same name as the Exchange 2003 cluster in a test environment from tape backup. Has anybody every tried this befoe or can this be done ?? Help on this is much appreciated Hello, This is perfectly possible, since you're only restoring the database files. Just make sure that the name of the organization, name of the administrative group, logical names of the storage group and stores are identical to the ones used in y...

Exchange problems after reboot
Hello! I'm having trouble with Exchange 2003 (Ex2003 SP2 running on Windows Server 2003 SP). Every time after reboot Exchange don't start correctly. I have a "8231 MSExchangeAL" and "8247 MSExchangeAL" errors in application log. Also the Exchange Information Store fails during startup and the Exchante MTA Stacks too. After reboot when I log on to server I can start those two services manualy and everything runs fine, so I'm little (or much) confused. I didn't have problems with reboots before. I have checked KB 27529, KB 286356 and few others and ...

Using exchange server 2003 as an smtp server outside of the domain
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to setup exchange server as an smtp server so that I can use it to send mail from outside of its domain environment. basically i want to be able to send email from any computer not on the domain by using mail.mydomain.com . I'm not sure if the issue is actually related to something on exchange server 2003, or if it's DNS related issue. we do use OWA so wthat when we type in a web browser mail.mydomain.com it takes us to OWA. Right now if I try setting up a POP3 Account in Outlook and use mail.mydomain.com for incoming and SMTP servers it err...

Child domain users and Parent domain Exchange
I am feeling pretty lame right about now.... Can Child Domain users use Exchange in the Parent domain? IF so, how? If not, do I need to install exchange in the child domains too? What would be the best way to do it? On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:29:51 -0800, "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAM.GOAWAY.ArborMed.com> wrote: >I should add that there's a VPN connecting the two domains. domain.com >and child.domain.com Run domainprep in the child domain. Set up Domain RUS pointing at a local DC in that domain. > > >"Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPA...

BP 3.0 pre-installation question
I am very embarrassed to ask this, but I have not found the correct way to do set up the Business Portal domain user account. In short, I have a domain called MYDOM. I have an SBS 2003 machine called PDC I have the Business Portal machine called TESTBED (running Server 2003). I hav no problems creating the domain user account "bportal", but how do I give that account admin privileges on specirfically on TESTBED? It is not like XP pro where I can add the domain account to te local users accounts and give it admin rights. It seems that this should not be an utter brick wall, ...

Outlook 2000 memory error
Hi, When I deleted an item in Calendar, I got error message that "There is not enough memory available to perform the operation." I am using Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance. Grace ...

Outlook 2000 #190
When I open Microsoft Outlook and click a specific email I get this message This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Close Details When I click details OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module OUTLLIB.DLL at 017f:3a457aa2. I removed the office 2000 and reloaded it and yet the problem is not resolved. What should I do ? ...

Outlook 2000 emails stay as new
I have this problem. In Outlook 2000 my emails stay as new even though I have the settings set to mark them as read after I look at them in the preview pane. The problem goes away if I close outlook and reopen it. What causes this problem? ...

Dynamics CRM 4 without Exchange but with Lotus Domino
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if in Dynamics CRM v4 you need exchange to route the incoming mail to the queues, because I have heard that in version 4 you don't need to have exchange server. We have Lotus Domino as email server and we'd like to get the incoming mail via E-mail Router Configuration Mnager in Dynamics CRM v4. I don't know if these steps are correct: 1. Create two profiles (one for incoming mails and one for outgoing mails) 2. Create a new deployment to connect with dynamics CRM server. 3. Load Data. 4. Modify the incoming or outgoing profile for a user or que...

"Diagonal" cells
Hi. I'm doing a tricky poor-man's-Illustrator project with Excel 2007. I'm trying to create the impression of a large cell that's been split in half diagonally (with a diagonal ascending from bottom left to top right). I've created a 2 x 2 grid of cells and put a diagonal border through the lower left and top right cells and removed the vertical, internal borders. Looks great so far. In addition, I'd like to place text in the upper left and lower right cells. Ideally, this text would be wider than the upper left or lower right cell and would flow over into the adja...

newsgroup lingo question
I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? Yes. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:02:50 -0400, "Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote: >I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? > And OPP - other people's property. ;) Jason >-----Original Message----- >Yes. > >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:02:50 -0400, "Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>I tremble to ask, but what's an OP? "Original poster"? >> > >. > And for more info: http://www...

Download for Pocket PC 2000 Money with Money 2002
I used to use Money on my pocket PC but stoped some time ago. I can't find a download for a version compatable with my 2000 pocket pc. Any ideas where to find this? JMc Did your ppc come with a disk of apps that may have included Money? If so, reinstall from there. Do you also want to sync with desktop Money? If so, that would depend on the version of desktop software you have. Regards, JB "McLean J" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<089101c4985e$6ab4fb50$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > I used to use Money on my pocket PC but stoped s...

where can I find a nurse staffing templatew for excel 2000
I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses Try the Office Template Gallery. http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/templategallery/default.asp Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:54:00 -0700, klif_e <klife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses ...

Exchange 2003
Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 SP2 This is a very strange problem. I have one user who turns on his out of office assistant and the out of office messages are not sent internally or externally. All other users use out of office and the messages are sent properly both internally and externally. I have the option configured to allow this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262352). I can't for the life of me figure out why this one user is having this problem. Everything appears to be configured for that user exactly the same as all the other users who ar...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Includes April Rollup Fixes?
Can I assume this is the case? ...

Exchange 5.5 ims connector
My Exchange 5.5 IMS connector queue shows messages that have <> as originator and also shows email with valid user account in this manner <user name>. My question is the emails <user name> valid emails from exchange users. ray3d84 I don't know just based on that but you could check the actual email message in \imcdata\out and pull up the appropriate message in notepad. ...

MS Exchange Server Unavailable
I have multiple users who start Outlook 2000 and they get the message " Exchange Server is Unavailable...." With the options to Retry or Work Offline. They are all connected to our network and when they select retry, Outlook immediately opens. I have searched and searched and I have mot been able to find any references to this problem. Any assistance would be appreciated. Dave Sounds like a name resolution problem. Make sure your internal DNS is working properly. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable t...

unmatched record query question
A while back, I had a corruption issue, and without me realizing it, the one- to-many relationship between related tables was deleted. Now, when I try to reset the relationships I get an error message that states that record(s) violate referential integrity rules. I suspect that one or more records in the parent table may have been deleted, but the related record(s) in the child table still exist. My tables are structured as follows: The parent table "Bid" has 2 primary key fields - ProjectID, BidID The child table "Item" has 4 primary key fields - ProjectID, BidID, Room...

Telnet <mailboxserver> 25 works from servers on same subnet, fails to one server
Interesting. I setup MOM server and I need to configure to send e-mail thru my mailbox Exchange server. However, when I go to new Win2003 MOM server, I do telnet <mymailboExchServer> 25 and connection is Connecting To <mailbox>...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connec t failed Then I go to another server, *same subnet* and I do telnet < > 25 and it goes thru just fine. Do you have an idea what could be causing such SMTP 'blocking' from the MOM server ? If servers on the subnet can connect just fine, I can't imagine how this can be a fire...

Exchange design
Please help with following scenario Set up: Company has a nation-wide Sendmail server that only does POP3 for every branch office in the nation, domain is us.company.com. One branch office decides to deploy SBS/Exchange internally for that office. Problem: internal domain is company.local, recipient policy has us.company.com for mail delivery. Everytime an employee from that office tries to email someone else who is outside of that office that piece of mail gets dropped (because AD user does not exist and because Exchange now handles us.company.com) How would I be able to make it so th...

Access 2.0 to 2000 or XP
Has anyone tried to convert an Access 2.0 database to a 2000 or XP database. I tried it and I also modified all of the code that seemed to be incompatible, it works, but it still acts like there are some bugs. When clicking on the icon it will open, but after closing once or twice that same icon will start showing the properties instead of launching the program or highlight other icons around it and open other files all at once. I'm running windows 2000 pro and the database I need to convert is still being used daily. I've tried importing the tables and reports, converting, ...

xslt newbie question
I'm a ASP.NET/C# programmer new to XSLT/XPath with a bit of experience of XML. I've been reading through some stuff on XSLT and I'm struggling to think of what situations I would want to use it in. Basically XSLT is like CSS for XML files, right (i.e. setting how the XML is displayed on screen)? The only use I can think of for this is if I have an XML file and I want to display it's contents to the screen in a datagrid style. Why would I use XSLT rather than reading the XML into a dataset instead? Can somebody please enlighten me and tell me what other uses XSLT can be put...

Exange 2003 Server Administration
I am finding it difficult to delete a previous exchange server from the servers Folder under the First Administrative group. The Mail and Public Folder stores are both disabled and I want to delete it. ...