Question on Restoring Email Messages

Hello all,

I've got an exchange 2000 server, also a domain controller, that just
crashed and I can't log into it normally, only through directory services
restore mode (or probably another form of safe mode). I'm thinking of
rebuilding it but would like to know if I can save some of the email that
is still on it. My last good backup of it was a few days ago and I wouldn't
want to lose the email since then. What's the best way to go about this?
Can I just copy the MDBDATA folder and restore it after the rebuild?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Brent
0
mail6512 (72)

That should work pretty well. Just be sure that if you rebuild the server
that you use the same Organization and Administrative Group names. Also,
before actually putting the old databases in and trying to mount them on the
new server, make sure that the destination folder is empty (you don't want
to mix log files). Also, run and eseutil /mh on the databases to verify they
are in clean shutdown. If they are not, check the Log Required field in the
/mh output and make sure you have those files available.

--
Cheers,

Steve Antonio
Microsoft Exchange Support

Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

"Brent" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I've got an exchange 2000 server, also a domain controller, that just
> crashed and I can't log into it normally, only through directory services
> restore mode (or probably another form of safe mode). I'm thinking of
> rebuilding it but would like to know if I can save some of the email that
> is still on it. My last good backup of it was a few days ago and I
wouldn't
> want to lose the email since then. What's the best way to go about this?
> Can I just copy the MDBDATA folder and restore it after the rebuild?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!!!
>
> Brent

0
steveant (150)

Help please
Hi I'm running outlook 2000. I have a considerable number of old emails that outlook will not let me delete, I get the message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error, if the problem presists restart outlook". Obviously I have tried re-starting outlook but this doesn't help. I have also run the inbox repair tool which does not report any errors. Is there any way I can work on and edit the 'outlook.pst' file directly? These emails are annoying and I would like to get back to a clean listing. Any assistance is much appreciated. Cheers Jem How l...

tangent excel question
this isnt necessarily an excel question, but it is related in that i affects a spreadsheet im working on. ive been looking for a centerline symbol, but none of the fonts i hav installed seem to include this symbol. it is a blueprint / surveyin symbol that has a L superimposed by a c. i am using CL right now bu would like to use the actual symbol for aesthetics. is there a way i can make a custom symbol or does anyone know where can find a font that would include such a symbol? thank you. i lov excel. ^_ -- lsu-i-lik ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

Cell formatting behaviour question
Hey guys, I have 2 related cases that I dont understand how to get Excel formatting to work: 1. If I imported or copied rows of data (numerical) from another file (Word or Access) into Excel, the data is presented as raw numbers in each cell. Now I apply a formatting (i.e. I want comma separation for thousands, etc.) and it will not show up. However, if i then double-click inside a cell (as if to edit the contents directly), then hit enter the formatting I want shows up... but only that cell. I have hundreds of rows and I really need to force excel to display the formatting i want immediately...

Junk Emails
We are using Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Recently there have been many junk emails coming to our domain. Please let us know how we can stop such junk emails in exchange server. Secondly, when we click in Current Sessions in Exchange Systems Manager, we get a message SMTP Configuration window saying "The system cannot find the path specified." Please if anybody can help us to stop the junk emails of 1 kb. There are more than 1000 such emails in our Q by which our server is always busy sending / receiving unwanted emails. Regards, Athar -- Athar Sagri atharsagri <atharsagr...

catch the incoming message event on a public folder
Hello, Is it possible to catch the incoming message event when a new message arrives into a public folder, and run an external exe file? Thanks. ...

Simple lookup question
I have a value in A1. I want to look in columns B:K to see if the value in A1 exists anywhere in those columns (regardless of row). Just a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice to tell me whether the A1 value exists anywhere in columns B:K. Thanks much, Ryan Try =IF(COUNTIF(B:K,A1),"Yes","No") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "ryanholliday" wrote: > I have a value in A1. I want to look in columns B:K to see if the value in > A1 exists anywhere in those columns (regardless of row). Just a simple "yes" > ...

deleting sent messages from OE
All of a sudden I cannot delete unwanted sent messages from my sent file.any suggestions?? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh versio...

How do I make incoming messages that are unread bold in my inbox?
I used to have all incoming messages bold faced before I opened them. All of a sudden, that stopped. How do I get the new incoming, unread messages bold again? What version of Outlook are you using? That's a Conditional Formatting rule that does that - how to reset it will depend slightly on what version of Outlook you're using. What if you go to View | Current View, what view does it say you're using? Messages? If you click View | Current View | Define Views you can click the "Reset..." button to reset the default views to default - keeping in mind ...

crm 4.0 mui packs performance question
does installing MUI packs on the server and office client affects the performance of the crm server? any review or document on this matter? While I have not seen any official data on the subject, I would be surprised if it had much effect. Installing (and provisioning) a MUI pack does essentially 3 things: 1. Installs the resource assembly 2. Adds strings to the database (LocalizedLabel) 3. Adds language specific templates for email and kb articles. 1 should have no effect, 2 and 3 above will have a small affect due more data in the tables, but it should not be much. "Benjamin ...

migration question #13
hello and happy new year i am trying to migrate from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Since we never used public folders in exchange 5.5, do I need to migrate public folders using pfmigrate? or can i just setup replication for schedule and free busy and offline address books and once in sync, i can remove the old exchange 5.5? thanks No need to migrate PFs if you have none. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "xiyan" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message news:uMVQbxSLHHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > hello and happy new ...

SIMPLE question re Tent Fold Card from a Newbie
Hi I am TRYING unsuccessfully to do the following Using Publisher 2002 I want to set up my own template to print Happy Easter at the bottom right hand corner of a tent card ... Card is: 20 cm wide and 19 cm high when OPEN ...20 cm wide and 10 cm high When FOLDED. I would like wording Happy Easter at the Bottom of the ront on the right hand side ( to start approx 1cm in from teh right hand edge and cover area of approx 6 cms.. I have managed to do this and print this on an A4 page with crop marks BUT I am wanting to use ready made card blanks... HoW can I get his to work I see under p...

Debug Assertion Failed Message in afx.inl at line122 & afshtml.inl file at line 57
Hi, I am getting some Debug Assertion Failed in afx.inl at line 122 and in afxhtml.inl at line 57 Messages on PCs. If i do "Rebuild all" again on my PC then the code starts working. But it gives "Debug Assertion Failed message of afx.inl file at line 122" on other PC. And if i do "Rebuild All" on that second PC then it gives "Debug Assertion Failed message of afxhtml.inl file at line 57" on my PC. It is a debug build. If i take the exe and create a installer then also the installer works on many PCs but gives the message of afx.inl file. The afx.inl li...

E2K7 Storage questions: SAN vs. DAS
I beginning to plan our 2007 migration and have some questions about storage requirements. We are currently using SAN attached storage for Exchange 2003 clusters, but with CCR the shared storage is no longer a requirement. If we stick with SAN attached, we'll need to double what we have to go with CCR. What are most big shops going to do? Stick with SAN or go DAS? What are the details as far as data throughput. Can any DAS offerings compete? It's not quite double I think. On the active node, you need usable space. On the passive node you need usable space + space reserva...

Outlook 2007
I am trying to set up a receipt to where if someone sends me an email, my email will automatically write them back some kind of acknowledgement email advising them that their email was received and will be answered in 2-3 business days. Any ideas if this can be done???? Thanks!!! "Senor Martinez" <SenorMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8635126F-BD00-4B87-BEA2-F5F39AADEF64@microsoft.com... >I am trying to set up a receipt to where if someone sends me an email, my > email will automatically write them back some kind of acknowledgement...

Message Lost!!
Hi, My thread sends MESSAGE to his main window during a "for". App gets this message via PreTranslateMessage() function and i've noticed that some message have been lost.. During Debug i usually write to OutPutWindow and each time a custom message arrive i put a string on debug window, now: -- Right message sequence MESSAGE 65004: wParam 0 - xParam1:12 - xParam2:1 - xParam3:0 - szParam: MESSAGE 65004: wParam 0 - xParam1:12 - xParam2:3 - xParam3:0 - szParam: MESSAGE 65004: wParam 0 - xParam1:12 - xParam2:0 - xParam3:0 - szParam: in some cases i lost one or two message, ...

error messages after install
I have installed the server software on a box running Small Business Server. I have installed the client software on all the desktops and clients. All the clients can connect except one. When the user starts Outlook, the following two error messages pop up. 1. Microsoft CRM The use ID associated with the current records is not valid. 2. Microsoft CRM An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM funtionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your administrator if errors persists. the ID is correct. the user ID setup for CRM is the same as the Windows login ID. Restarting Outlook pro...

Applying message rules to incoming mail
I have set up specific rules to prevent messages with certian words from loading to my computer from the srver but they are coming in anyway. I have tried all options as to where they should go. I cannot get the rules to automatically apply. Have to go in to Message Rules and hit Apply Now to make it work each time What am I not doing or doing wrong. Are these rules with words in the message body? Delete it from server won't work because the message has to be downloaded before the rule can read the message body. In general: Have all rules that Delete it from server fir...

Exch 2003 - Stopped MTA Stacks Service
We've got two Exchange 2003 servers in native mode. I had read that you don't need the MTA Stacks service running in this configuration, so I stopped the service on both boxes yesterday. I came in this morning and there were hundreds of emails queued up on both servers queues to each other. When I highlighted the queue on one of the servers it said the other server was unreachable. I then found that we had no DNS entries for these servers in our AD DNS. I added them, and also added MX records and mail started flowing between them again. Does the MTA Stacks service provide some kind of ...

Category question
I've created categories and have applied to specific people in my email address book in Outlook Here's my question. How to I see a listing of all the emails that are in a particular category. I want to be able to say, import into a word document or something like that. This list isn't huge ... maybe 50 - 60 names, but it would be nice to access from the category rather than having to go into each address and copy paste from Outlook into a Word document. I want to distribute this list of a membership to each of the members and I'm unable to find an "easy" way to d...

another OGA question
I bought a copy of Office 2007 Pro from an online seller who advertised it as a genuine, new copy. It came in a sealed box with the hologram CDs and installed with no problems using the product key in the box. After downloading updates, I started getting the "not genuine" message after reboots. The seller insists that this is a legitimate licensed product which was purchased from a Circuit City store that was going out of business, and that the messages I'm getting are due to some problem with the installation, not with the authenticity of the software. I ca...

Question 04-23-10
Hi All, I have created a database that stores information about gauges/items within our company and tracks it's location, whether the item has changed location, is in a repair state, being calibrated, on loan to a different department, etc. When a user updates a serial number (currently we have generic serial numbers and are putting the correct serial numbers in it's place) the serial number changes and the data is saved to the database. My database has many relationships to keep the data integrety(sp) in check. The problem I am having is that once the user has changed the...

Problems setting sending and receiving emails
I keep getting this message when i try to send an email. I am not sure if my windows mail is set up correctly. Help I do not know what to do. The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'test', Account: 'windows mail', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D Account: 'windows mail', Server: 'POP3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC17 "POP3" and "SMTP...

Saving Outlook Email As Text File Extract
Hello Outlook Group: I'm normally an Access and Excel VBA programmer, but my client wants me to scrape the text from a select email address and insert it into an Access memo column. Does anyone know how to configure Outlook (VBA approach would be fine) so that when an email is received in a selected account, the message would also be extracted to a directory as a text file and then the Outlook message would be moved to some history folder. Once the text file exists in a predefined folder , I will just have Access periodically check the folder for files, grab the text, ...

EMail, subject, font
Now we have a problem. CRM mail works fine. We can send and receive e-mail. Everything is working fine except that the CRM Email router can not determine if an incoming email is relevant to Microsoft CRM when email subject contains non latin symbols (cyrillic for example). We can send email with cyrillic symbols in subject. Recipient (Contact) receives it. He can read it. When he replies we receive email in Outlook but not in CRM. But we receive email in CRM if recipient completely deletes subject (not GUID) and retype the subject in latin during reply. We also receive email in CRM ...

Exch 5.5
New spam method: * for any given email server - format the header with an INVALID recipient - format the header so that the "Reply-to:" is the intended victim on the spammer's list This allows them to relay off of any server because the server will reply with a non-deliverable report returning the original message to the address in the "Reply-to:" field. Spam accomplished. So, if the incoming email is addressed to an invalid recipient (nosuchuser@mydomain.com), is there a way to force Exchange 5.5 to automatically delete the email to prevent an NDR from be...