Question on Restoring/Backing up Multiple Databases in Parallel

Hello's all.
Assuming you have 2 Storage groups each with 3 mailbox stores. Is it
possible to Simultaneously Backup up the Stores Or Simultaneously Restore the
Stores? If so how would one go about doing this? I'm concerned more about the
location of the "Temporary files" during the restore.
Many thanks.

Blue.
0
Bluehades (10)

No...  The backup should be run against the entire storage group and the
individual stores will be backed up sequentially..  Never restore more than
one at a time.  All the stores in the SG share the same transaction logs.  I
am not positive but you could probably back up the two storage groups at the
same time.....   Or restore a single db from both SGs simulataneously.

Two backup servers would also be a requirement.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Bluehades" <Bluehades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello's all.
> Assuming you have 2 Storage groups each with 3 mailbox stores. Is it
> possible to Simultaneously Backup up the Stores Or Simultaneously Restore
> the
> Stores? If so how would one go about doing this? I'm concerned more about
> the
> location of the "Temporary files" during the restore.
> Many thanks.
>
> Blue.

0
nospam6185 (535)
12/9/2004 4:11:55 AM
Based on readings i have done since posting this post i beg to differ with
your reply.
If you have 2 different Storage groups One is able to Backup or Restore
databases in the different Storage groups simulataneously. (ASsuming you have
the hardware to run 2 jobs.) Since the storage groups have separate Database
files & separate log files i think this should work. (Also according to
Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Planning Guide)
You cannot however backup simultaenously databses in the same storage group,
as when running, the first backup jobwould have a lock on the Database files
& prevent job 2 from running.
Based on reading it is best to perform backups of individual databases in
the same storage group, as opposed to entire storage group. (This would
entail using different time window for each database as you cannot backup
simultaneously databses in the same stroage group.) If backups are performed
this way, one can restore the Databases simulataneously/ In Parallel, as
opposed to sequentially.  Offcourse to be able to run multiple resotres in
parallel you would need the proper hardware to support this.

Blue.

"Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" wrote:

> No...  The backup should be run against the entire storage group and the
> individual stores will be backed up sequentially..  Never restore more than
> one at a time.  All the stores in the SG share the same transaction logs.  I
> am not positive but you could probably back up the two storage groups at the
> same time.....   Or restore a single db from both SGs simulataneously.
>
> Two backup servers would also be a requirement.
>
> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> http://exchange.mvps.org
>

> "Bluehades" <Bluehades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello's all.
> > Assuming you have 2 Storage groups each with 3 mailbox stores. Is it
> > possible to Simultaneously Backup up the Stores Or Simultaneously Restore
> > the
> > Stores? If so how would one go about doing this? I'm concerned more about
> > the
> > location of the "Temporary files" during the restore.
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Blue.

0
Bluehades (10)
12/9/2004 7:51:07 PM
I thought that is what I said.

--

http://mvps.org/exchange

> Based on readings i have done since posting this post i beg to differ with
> your reply.
> If you have 2 different Storage groups One is able to Backup or Restore
> databases in the different Storage groups simulataneously. (ASsuming you
have
> the hardware to run 2 jobs.) Since the storage groups have separate
Database
> files & separate log files i think this should work. (Also according to
> Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Planning Guide)
> You cannot however backup simultaenously databses in the same storage
group,
> as when running, the first backup jobwould have a lock on the Database
files
> & prevent job 2 from running.
> Based on reading it is best to perform backups of individual databases in
> the same storage group, as opposed to entire storage group. (This would
> entail using different time window for each database as you cannot backup
> simultaneously databses in the same stroage group.) If backups are
performed
> this way, one can restore the Databases simulataneously/ In Parallel, as
> opposed to sequentially.  Offcourse to be able to run multiple resotres in
> parallel you would need the proper hardware to support this.
>
> Blue.
>

> "Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" wrote:
>
> > No...  The backup should be run against the entire storage group and the
> > individual stores will be backed up sequentially..  Never restore more
than
> > one at a time.  All the stores in the SG share the same transaction
logs.  I
> > am not positive but you could probably back up the two storage groups at
the
> > same time.....   Or restore a single db from both SGs simulataneously.
> >
> > Two backup servers would also be a requirement.
> >
> > --
> >
> > regards,
> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> > http://exchange.mvps.org
> >

> > "Bluehades" <Bluehades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello's all.
> > > Assuming you have 2 Storage groups each with 3 mailbox stores. Is it
> > > possible to Simultaneously Backup up the Stores Or Simultaneously
Restore
> > > the
> > > Stores? If so how would one go about doing this? I'm concerned more
about
> > > the
> > > location of the "Temporary files" during the restore.
> > > Many thanks.
> > >
> > > Blue.

0
nospam6185 (535)

Multiple name appearances
Have a list of 1000 names trying to sort by appearances >5. Not sure if Lookup or Hlookup? Pat318 wrote: > Have a list of 1000 names trying to sort by appearances >5. > Not sure if Lookup or Hlookup? If your list is in A1:A1000, put this in B1:B1000 and sort by column B: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,A1) ...

Possibly going back to MM 2004, any advice?
Ever since I got Money 2005 I have had some big concerns about this software. The bugs are so many and obvious that I really can't believe they released it this way. However, I am a pretty tolerant person and can put up with a lot so I kept using it (about 2 or 3 months now). I decided not to return within the 30 days because even if I don't use it I felt the free year subscription to Experian Credit Manager and Money magazine was worth it. I am now seriously thinking of going back to Money 2004 but was wondering if there was a less painful way than opening up the old file a...

deleting multiple rows
Hello: I need to be able to delete multiple rows out of a worksheet. What I need to be able to do is have a function/macro that can identify a string of characters and then delete all the rows that have those characters. For example, if row 4, 18, and 45 all had "blue" in them (assume column is A), then I need something to go delete row, 4, 18, and 45. At the top of my worksheet I will have several, probably about 3, criteria, such as, "blue", "red", and "green" that will all need to be deleted. Now here's where I really need help. A row may ...

Macro Question Again
I'v never had any dealings w/ macro before, so this is all new to me. I have a windows 98 computer that is running office 2000 and there is an excel macro on this pc that was created by someone years ago. I have to get this 98 machine of the network and replace it w/ a 2000/XP platform also running either office 2000/xp. So far i'v copied the macro and am able to run it, but its not gathering the correct info. It is collecting the correct info on the 98 machine, just not the one im replacing it w/. It looks like some of the fields are supposed to be populated w/ info in a text d...

Exchange 5.5 EDB questions
Hello, I have an exchange 5.5 server, which is running on Windows 2000 server. I have set it up so that I can try to recover some data from a stray pub.edb file. I have tried using the edbutil/eseutil to try and recover the database and change the headers, but I cannot find a definitive answer to the following question. 'How do I import a foreign PUB.EDB folder into my exchange database, and allow users to access it as a folder (Public)?' Thanks in advance, James Copp-Taylor You do not import .edb into Exchange database. You perform disaster recovery, export data to .pst, then imp...

Licensing Question with Professional Suite
Hey, I've seen some licensing questions out there, but wanted to be clear. Microsoft Reps are giving me different information, but admit they do not know!? I think there needs to be a little more training with the CRM licensing. I need the CRM Professional Suite (sales and service). If I have 5 sales people (that don't really need to get into the Service Stuff), and I have 5 Service People (that don't need to do anything with Leads and other stuff), can I purchase 5 Sales Professional Users and 5 Service Professional Users? Or do I still need to purchase the Suite User...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

Does anyone know how to assign tasks to multiple individuals?
We use organizational boxes and have ocassion to send tasks out to other org boxes (6 usually). The problem is that you (apparently) lose the ability to track individually when you do this. Does anyone have any ideas, other than assigning 6 separate tasks (1 for each org box...). Thanks! ...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

IF question...
I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the cell if it falls between 1 and 10. Otherwise, I want the cell to return a 0 value. Anybody? =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=10),what?,0) On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:15:06 -0700, "mailrail" <mailrail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a >certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the >cell if it falls between 1 and 10....

Need HELP with Exchange Restore/Recovery
Details: 2003 sp2 Exchange Server Enterprise 2003 sp1 Server Enterprise C: drive is 100GB Logical Drive over x4 36GB drives in a RAID 5 set D: drive is 280GB Logical Drive over x5 70GB drives in a RAID 5 set Domain Controller Last night I upgraded our 2003 sp1 Exchange to sp2 + any O/S hot fixes and DST fix. No problem with the upgrade or hot fix, but @ about 200 a.m. I lost two of the five drives in the RAID 5 set (drive D) that had the exchange install. I’m currently replacing the hardware & bringing up the drives & going to recreate the D: drive. (server is bootable) I h...

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

Sync multiple e-mail accounts
I run Outlook 2007 and Windows Mobile 6. How do I get my contacts and calendar to syncronize between my phone and two e-mail accounts on my computer (G-mail and kiwilink)? "Need to Sync" <Need to Sync@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2ED27720-6208-41A4-BED3-F875E32D4FEB@microsoft.com... >I run Outlook 2007 and Windows Mobile 6. How do I get my contacts and > calendar to syncronize between my phone and two e-mail accounts on my > computer (G-mail and kiwilink)? Google Sync should work for gmail. I have no idea what "kiwilink"...

Adding Hyperlink to multiple values within a cell
My spreadsheet contains a list of people. The cell next to each nam contains multiple numeric values for identifying a specific piece o information. I would like to be able to click on one of those number (value) and a comment window pop up with the information associate with it, or be hyperlinked to the information further down th speadsheet. I want to avoid using multiple cells for this. Is this possible? Thank -- t2tru ----------------------------------------------------------------------- t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=387 View this...

Excel to Access database
Does anyone know how to convert a Excel document to an Access database? I got this link off of Microsoft.com http://tinyurl.com/2nqo5 If I understand correctly, I could enter data into an excell spreadsheet, which I am at least somewhat familiar with. When I'm done, I could convert it into a new Access database without setting up the Access forms. Any help is greatly appreciated. Gordon --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Gordon: Hi. If there are headers to your columns, they should be in row1. In Access, start a new database file. In the "Tables"...

Backing up SBS 2008 premium
Hi I have a SBS 2008 premium installed on a VMWare ESXi server. We are looking to get the backups to tape as well as disk for this server, and right now i am doing backups with the internal windows backup software to a internal extra harddrive. The disk that is being used is formatted and handled of the backup software and this also means i do not actually have access to the disk as a logical drive for example. So i want to copy theese files to tape (on another backup server) and would like to get access to the backup files, how can i do this? is there a way of sharing the bac...

Convert old Q&A database to access
Does anyone know a free way of converting an old DOS based Q&A .dtf database to Access? There are only 6 fields: first name, last name, date of birth, date of death, cemetary, war if any. This is for a non profit that has been building a cemetary database for years and need to get something modern. I will build the Acces piece for free. But if I can't convert the data for free the project is dead. There may even be an export option within Q&A that would help. I didn't have enough time to look at it so far. thanks in advance, Mark Can Q&A export to .CSV (or any...

Unhandled database exception: A get/change operation on table 'Bat
During Edit Checks, we get the following message: Unhandled database exception: A get/change operation on table 'Batch_Headers' could not find a record. Then we get this message: This transaction was recovered during normal processing. You may continue processing this transaction. Any suggestions? You might want to run Check Links on payables. Before doing this, make sure you have a backup of your dynamics and company databases. Brenner -- www.KlenzmanConsulting.com "GPI" wrote: > During Edit Checks, we get the following message: > > Unhandled databas...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

Easy question on Excel...
Hello I have an Excel workbook open which has 5 worksheets. How do I toggle through them manually without using the mouse to click a sheet? I am sure I used to know how but now I forget! Regards Alex Try Ctrl + PageUp Ctrl + PageDown Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well done. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >Try > >Ctrl + PageUp > >Ctrl + PageDown > >Regards > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Ctrl + Page Up or Page Dow -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I th...

Button Control Event: question
I have a small dialog that prints data it queries from a server to a listbox when a user presses a start button. What I'd like to do is to have the data continually print after the button is pressed until the user presses a stop button. So, I guess I would need to initiate some kind of continuous loop for the data querying/printing, but I'm unsure how to get the stop button to break the loop. If this even the best solution. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this, or perhaps a better design idea? Thanks, Marcus Marcus wrote: > I have a small dialog that prints d...

My recipients recieving multiple copies
I'm using Outlook 2002 with Win XP Pro. I have dial up (POP3 & SMTP) in a little town with old phone lines. My recipients (never more than 50) sometimes recieve from 2 to 10 copies of the same message. I have increased the server time-out time from 1 minute to 9 minutes ( I figured that out on my own) but I'm not yet sure if that's the solution because my ISP guy tells me that Outlook really wasn't designed to send one message to more than 3 recipients esp. Bcc (I find that remark very hard to believe). My ISP guy tells me I should get an email program designed t...

Error accessing database
Hi all, I'm trying to log into a newly added database, but get the error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Prodecure or function smCleanUpFilesBeforeLigin has too many arguments specified. Then, clicking OK, you get another one: The stored procedure smCleanUpFilesBeforeLogin returned the following results: DBMS: 8144, Great Plains: 0. What has happened there, and how can I resolve it please? This happens even when logging in as 'sa' to the database. Thanks all, John ...

Multiple stationeries #2
Hi We have three divisions in the company and need different stationery for each of them. Outlook, as far as I can see, only supports one stationery at a time. Is there a way to create three stationeries as html files and then load them somehow, may be via vba code, using buttons on toolbar? Is there a better way? Thanks Regards If you create three .html files and store them in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery directory, they will be accessible from within the stationery chooser. -- Eric Legault (Outlook MVP, MCDBA, old school WOSA MCSD, B.A.) Try Pic...

Multiple Email Accounts in Windows Live Mail
I added a yahoo.com email address within Windows Live Mail and decided against it. I removed it from the Live Mail properties but yahoo emails continue to post within Live Mail desktop. I've checked the obvious settings but can't find anything to change to make this stop. I want to totally remove yahoo.com email from Windows Live and access yahoo emails from the Internet. Do you by chance have a Hotmail account and in the account on the web site told it fetch mail from Yahoo? Hotmail website: Options, More Options,. Send and receive mail from other e-mail account...