Query-based distribution group anomaly

When I do a TOOLS ~ OPTIONS ~ DELEGATES in Outlook 2003 and try to set a
query-based distribution group as a delegate it seems to accept the group
and whatever permissions I assign. But as soon as I click OK and then come
back in to inspect it, the query-based distribution group has no permissions
at all. This happens every time.

However, in the same situation, whenever I assign a Global Security Group as
a delegate and assign permissions, they stick.

Should my query-based distribution group be accepted or is this kind of
group not permitted as a delegate? But then if it's not permitted as a
delegate why does the Outlook 2003 client let you add it as a delegate and
even set permissions for it, only to throw the permission away when you
click OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

0
anonymous1 (43)

QBDG are just as the appear: Distribution groups, not security groups, so
you cannot use them as a security context. This is expected behavior.

--
Steve Antonio, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Exchange Support

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
originated.

"Tom Edelbrok" <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote in

> When I do a TOOLS ~ OPTIONS ~ DELEGATES in Outlook 2003 and try to set
> a query-based distribution group as a delegate it seems to accept the
> group and whatever permissions I assign. But as soon as I click OK and
> then come back in to inspect it, the query-based distribution group
> has no permissions at all. This happens every time.
>
> However, in the same situation, whenever I assign a Global Security
> Group as a delegate and assign permissions, they stick.
>
> Should my query-based distribution group be accepted or is this kind
> of group not permitted as a delegate? But then if it's not permitted
> as a delegate why does the Outlook 2003 client let you add it as a
> delegate and even set permissions for it, only to throw the permission
> away when you click OK.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom

0
steveant (150)
8/4/2005 9:22:29 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting here. Great Info, Steve.

I completely agree with Steve that universal security groups are used to
grant permission to a public folder or to a mailbox folder in Microsoft
Exchange Server 2003 and in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server. The default
settings in Microsoft Exchange do not let you use distribution groups to
grant permissions to a public folder or to a mailbox folder. This is the
difference indeed between Security Group and Distribution Group.
Query-Based Distribution Group is one type of the Distribution Group.

More info here:

You cannot add a distribution group to permissions of a public folder in
Exchange 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=274046

Considering the information above, it is expected when you add the
Query-Based Distribution Group into Delegate Permission list. And the same
behavior will happen when adding Distribution Group into Public Folder or
mailbox folder Permission list in Outlook or Exchange System Manager.
Regarding your concern why you can add Query-Based Distribution Group as a
delegate and why it disappear upon clicking OK, it is because Query-Based
Distribution Group is still visible in Global Address Book, where you
choose user and add them into Delegate Permission List. Once an object into
Permission list, System will determine whether it is a Distribution Group;
and if it is the case, it will disappear after clicking OK.

Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear, feel free to let me know.
Thanks!

Lee Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

v-leeli (179)

groups in gal
When I pull up Outlook, click new email, then select the to: button it pulls up my addresses. I make sure the GAL is selected. At the top of the list is a bunch of groups, which is fine. But not all groups are listed at the top. Some are listed in alphabetical order. I have checked for differences but can't find any. Why are some groups showing up at the top of the list and others are in alphabetical order? How can I get all of them to be at the top? if you have groups that are appearing at the top of the GAL, and are not there alphabetically, it's possible that they were con...

Query Text in the Mid of a memo
I am trying to query off a memo field [Description] the text that follows "User Name: " until the first space the "User Name: " is not in the same position nor is the text of the user name a fixed size. I am working with an InStr function but I don't know how to stop at the " " after the name. Thanks so much for any help. AngieSD wrote: >I am trying to query off a memo field [Description] the text that follows >"User Name: " until the first space the "User Name: " is not in the same >position nor is the text of the user n...

Local OLAP cubes in Excel/MS Query
Hi Can someone please recommend some good book or web page about creating local OLAP cubes using MS Query. I have some data in Access that I want to work with using cubes. Kind regards IgorM http://wang.se/en/CreateOLAPCube.html/ Ed Ferrero Hi Thanks for response. Unfortunately I still don't know if the show-details-after-double-click feature is available in pivottables linked to OLAP cubes. I tried all three connection types. With the two first options (rebuild at once and rebuild when needed) I still cannot make the pivot table to create a sheet on the fly and provide detai...

Groups in Active Directory
I have group of people in a OU named processing. My Processing Manager is asking to use that address publically, or processing@mydomain.com, and access to the mailbox be granted to all of our processors. Secondly, this processing OU is also used for a security group that has permissions all over the network. Is there a way to get around this or do I have to recreate the OU with a slightly different name and then create and user called processing? Any help appreciated. Hi Chuy There is no problems having a User or Group with the same name as an OU. You say this OU is being used for...

Option Buttons Group Box
I am constructing a questionaire with responses from 1 - 5. After using the "group box" tool to group the option buttons for a response to the second question, the response from the first set is eliminated. How do I keep the responses seperate for each set of questions? Also, how do I make the border for the group box disappear? First, did you use the optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar--not the controltoolbox toolbar? (it sounds like you may have mixed and matched your controls.) If you did use optionbuttons from the control toolbox toolbar, you can "group" them b...

Open new form based on two criteria
I have a main form that I need to be able to open another form that is based on two different fields on the main form. This is what I have: Private Sub cmdOpenForm_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdOpenForm_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "SFRM_AllLocationsperContract" stLinkCriteria = (((TBL_LocationContract.ContractNumber) = "&[Forms]! [FRM_CompanyAddContracts]![txtContractID]&") And ((TBL_LocationContract. CompanyID) = "&[Forms]![FRM_CompanyAddContracts]![txtCompanyID]&")) DoCmd...

Investors Group
I'm looking into using MS Money but in the trial version Investors Group is not there. I can't find a trial version for the Canadian version. Is there a way to add Investors group in there ??? Thanks, Don ...

View query results in MsgBox
I have developed qryQuickLook that brings up rptQuickLook when cmdQuickLook is clicked, everything works great but I would rather see the results (never more than 10 line items) in a MsgBox than have a seperate report window open up. Is there a way to do this? Thanks Dave On Nov 23, 11:00 pm, Duane Hookom <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote: > Why "MsgBox"? You can display the results in a dialog form with a command > button or two. > > -- > Duane Hookom > Microsoft Access MVP > > > > "maces...@gmail.com" wrote: > > I have deve...

Set One Field based On Another Field
I think I have a pretty simple request. I am looking for some script to put on an on exit field. Here is what I need it to do: When a value is put in say $550, if this is greater than a specified limit in the code I need it to set Field2 to Yes. So if field1 > 500 set field2 = yes Real world example: I have a dollar amount of credit to give to a customer, I want to auto populate the approval required field with a yes. Your help is appreciated. Brent, Try: IIf([Field1]>500,[Field2]="Yes") However if the field is a Bit data type then IIf([Field1]&...

Personalise bulk distribution?
Hi, I've searched the articles but cannot seem to find an answer or documentation anywhere. I am trying to send emails from a template in CRM to a list of recipients but everytime I do so all the emails sent has the name and details of only the first recipient in the emails. Can CRM send email to more than one recipient at the same time and change the details in all the emails to the details of the individual recipients? As in first name, last name, company name, etc in the body of the message? Thanks, Andre' -- Andre'''' The Business Zone 31 Durban South Af...

Grouping the scanned item quantity.
On POS screen of RMS 2.0, how can 2 identical items scanned separately display the qty of 2 in a single item, not as 2 separate items. Or if it's easier, the recipt prints out in group is fine too. Thank you in advance for your help. Either way this would require customization. If you are interested please contact me for an estimate. -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Retail Information Technology Enterprises 320-230-2288 rsakry@rite.us www.rite.us "FLASH" <FLASH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E0653F8-1A8C-4D02-8E19-1575E9D01D0F@microsoft.co...

Netbackup 6.0MP3 and Exchange 2003 Recovery Storage Groups
Hello, I am running Netbackup 6.0MP3 and Exchange 2003 in a clustered environment. I am attempting to restore from Netbackup a copy of one of our Exchange DBs to mount in my Recovery Storage Group. Anyone else have a similar setup that can shed some light on how to do this? My initial idea was to restore the priv.edb and priv.stm files and manually mount them in the Recovery storage group, but I have seen other posts mentioning restoring straight to the Recovery Storage Group. Documentation for Netbackup doesn't say specifically how to do this. I wouldn't mind doing this manually...

Report based on parameter query
I have a report that is based on an ordinary parameter query (i.e. right now it pops up dialogs asking for three values that it needs for its where clause). I use this query in several places, so I don't want to make the parameters dependent on specific form controls, which is the only information I've been able to find on google on feeding parameters in a report query's Recordsource. What I actually want to happen is to make a button in the main switchboard which, when pressed, will look up those values in a different query I already have and then use those to populate th...

looking for a script to make a Distribution List from a text file
Does anyone have a script for making a new Distribution List from a text file, or CSV file? I created larger dist lists by using adduser. Then, once the group is created, I mail enable it. "BwiseIT" wrote: > Does anyone have a script for making a new Distribution List from a text > file, or CSV file? > > > ...

"Group"ing adjacent columns independently
I was hoping that someone might know how to do the following - or whether it is possible at all ... I am using Excel's "Group and Outline" capability and I would like to independently group adjacent columns (or rows). For example, I'd like to be able to create a group of columns A and B and a separate group of columns C and D - with each group being independently selectable via the "+" and "-" buttons. As far as I can tell, if you try to group adjacent columns, the two groups get merged into a single group. Also, if I play games by trying to insert an ...

Multiple Unrelated Queries In One Report or Form?
Hello guys, I've been tasked with generating a report for my boss that provides an overview of our core database statistics. This includes the total number of orders placed each month and the total value of orders placed each month. I also need to provide the same information for purchase orders, quotations and discrepancy reports. Each individual query is a piece of cake on its own but how can I display all of this information either in a form or preferably in a nicely formatted report? The queries are all completely unrelated so there's no way I can somehow joi...

Query to Compare Actual and Budget
One table defines budget (each one has a unqiue ID) Another table defines employees (each one has a unique ID) Another table defines tasks (each one has a unique ID) Another table records budgeted time by project, task, employee Another table records actual time by project, task, employee I created one query which will total up the budgeted time by project and employee (so if an employee was assigned multiple tasks on the same project, you'll just get one total for that employee for that project). I created another query which will total up actual time byt project and employee (so if an e...

How did I populate other cells based on infor from one cell?
Hi, Ive got a spreadsheet with staff information such as network username, first name, surname, department, job title, ethnicity, age etc... How do I (if possible), automatically populate the first name, surname, department, job title, ethnicity, age etc... by just typing in the network username? Any help is much appreciated! fkcadl Check out help on VLOOKUP(). With your data in Sheet1 Col A to Col J; in Sheet2 enter the network username in cell A1. In cell B1 enter the below formula and copy/drag towards the right.. =IF($A1<>"",VLOOKUP($A1,Shee...

Repost-Edit and save query criteria
Sorry to repost this, but I was not sure I would get help with this again and it would get lost in the list. As suggested, I created a table called ExcludeShows1 with the ShowID and Year fields. I have posted the SQL with those changes to the query. When I tested this initially, it appeared to work. Then I tried testing the queries using last year's show data for 2009. No data is being returned for 2009. Not sure what is happening that it is not returning 2009 data. SELECT Shows.ShowID, Entries.Place, IIf([Entries]>1,([Entries]-[Place])*0.5,0) AS Points1, IIf([...

How to update query memo field
I have an old db that I need to import a long notes field from. My new table is existing. I have managed to get the notes from the old db into a comma separated text file with just an SSN and the notes. I can import this into a table that is structured with just an SSN field and a memo field. I'm trying to run an update query to fill in the notes fields of the people already in the new table. When I run the update query it says it's going to update x number of records, but doesn't. I tried changing both the old and new tables to text fields as an experiment and then it works, but o...

data base
I need to create a very simple data base for tracking rental use of 10 buildings. You might find something close in one of the Access database templates: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/CT101426031033.aspx -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "theo logic" <theo logic @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F56E706F-BAB3-4522-A23A-4B048A7DC257@microsoft.com... >I need to create a very simple data base for tracking rental use of 10 > buildings. ...

Testing the group
Just seeing if this group is still working. It's june 1. If it does work, thanks to everyone who has posted help over the years. I'm sure many of you will just go to other newsgroups that are not the "microsoft" ones. See you there. If this message dont work, then you wont be reading this.... :) And as my final post, if this does get thru, I was thinking about when Win95 was first released. Win95 was so retarded that you could delete the Windows folder from within Windows. Damn, I had more fun going to Best Buy and other computer stores, and tossing the Wi...

Membership in Admin groups resets Send As permissions
Ok, this is an odd one. Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES 4.0, SP4, HF 3, i.e. version 4.0.4.5) Exchange 2003, SP2, 2003 native mode domain. Using the script in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912918/en-us (KB Article 912918) per the latest security patch, I attempted to set the 'send as' permission. Everyone works but 4 people. I removed 2 of the people from administrative groups, and the script works. What happens is that about 5-10 minutes after I grant the Blackberry service accounts permission to 'send as' ... they revert to not having 'send as' permissi...

query against AD
EXCEL 2003 1. data, import external data, new database query. Is there a way to query a AD ? ...

Excel, ODBC and creating queries
Does anyone know of a way to create a query based on values or formula in a spreadsheeet? Thanks in advance, J -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com From reading between the lines of your post, I am guessing that you have an Access Database with which you want to create a query based on a spreadsheet. If this is the case, you will need to open your database and in the tables section of your databse , right mouse click in the area showing your table names, and select "Link Tables" from the menu. Once you have followed the rest of the steps in the link wizard, a...