Public folders in Active directory

Due to a corrupt Pub1.edb I have deleted the bad edb and stm file and created
new blank files.  My next step will be to re-create the public folder
structure but before I do that I need to know how AD treats public folders
and if I should manual delete the public folders in AD before I start
re-creating folders in the new public folders

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:07:02 -0800, RP in the Midwest
<RPintheMidwest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Due to a corrupt Pub1.edb I have deleted the bad edb and stm file and created
>new blank files.  My next step will be to re-create the public folder
>structure but before I do that I need to know how AD treats public folders
>and if I should manual delete the public folders in AD before I start
>re-creating folders in the new public folders

Those entries in AD represent only the  mail-enabled public folders.
Are you restoring from backup or starting from scratch?

0
adavid (8731)
1/25/2007 11:07:13 PM
Starting from scratch.

"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:07:02 -0800, RP in the Midwest
> <RPintheMidwest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Due to a corrupt Pub1.edb I have deleted the bad edb and stm file and created
> >new blank files.  My next step will be to re-create the public folder
> >structure but before I do that I need to know how AD treats public folders
> >and if I should manual delete the public folders in AD before I start
> >re-creating folders in the new public folders
>

> Those entries in AD represent only the  mail-enabled public folders.
> Are you restoring from backup or starting from scratch?

Move Public Folders from 5.5 to 5.5 Same Org
Hi All, I'm new the exchange and i need to accomplish the following: 1. Identify which public folders are "homed" on the source server. 2. Move them to another exchange 5.5 server. 3. Properly remove/decommission the source exchange server from the org. Need your expert help on what steps i should take to accomplish this. Thank you. this is good reading, it includes some links that is also good reading before doing anything http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152959/en-us /Lasse "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06FA8B72-169D...

If activity still open move to a new case
Hello, could someone tell me if this is possible... In a case if there is not enough enough time to complete all set activities in the case I want to be able to close the case and export the open activities to a new case. is it possible? Regards Ian ...

public folders error
Please help When I try to browse the public folders in the system manager i get "connection was refused. please ensure virtual servers are running etc. id: c103b401." They have recently tried to rehome public folders from one server E2k to another and removed the old server. The public folder contents are accessible by MAPI users, which tells me that they have managed to create local replicas on that exchange server, but I suspect they have created replicas for public folders (like shared calendars) and offline address books only. Also they have configured OWA for SSL. What can I ...

Chart Activate Problem
On a worksheet named Customer, is a Button (among other buttons) with a macro named "GoToMetric1" assigned to it. The macro code is located in Module2 and the code is: Sub GoToMetric1() Sheets("Metrics").Select Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 13").Activate With ActiveChart.Parent .Height = 660 .Width = 780 .Top = 10 .Left = 125 End With End Sub On the worksheet named Metrics, are various charts, with Chart 13 displaying data. The intent is when the user clicks on the Button, Ch...

how to change permission for public folders?
Hello there! First of all, I must say I'm very grateful for all good things I learned in this newsgroup. Now to my little question: I've installed plain-vanilla Exchange 2003 Server system with Outlook 2002 as clients. I imported users .pst files into their new Exchange-accounts and that works as a charm. But I don't quite understand what to do so that users will be able to share their adress books or contacts (the main reason why they moved from .pst to Exchange). When I mark "public folders" and try to create new item it says that i don't have permission to cre...

How to grant permission to someone to add/remove folder in Outlook
Hi, I was asked how to add someone to a list so that the person would add/remove folder from a public folder list. I was told it had been done in outlook but I cannot find anything resemble to security/permission which allow to me to add either a user name or in a group such as user or administrator to check boxes for permission. Anyone would point me to the direction to start off ? Many thanks Smiley The administrator can set it through ESM or the owner of the folder can do it through Outlook. See; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/permissions.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlo...

Set public folder as default address list
Is there a way that I can set a public contact folder as the default address list when composing a message on all of my clients? JBeckett [MCSA] <JBeckettMCSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way that I can set a public contact folder as the default > address list when composing a message on all of my clients? This is an Outlook thing. You can change the Outlook Address Book to display whatever you like as its initial view, in the settings in the address book menu, I believe. You don't want to make Outlook do *lookups* first from the public contacts folder, ...

SRS Directory Replication Connector
Hi, We are in the process of migrating from E5.5 to E2K3 and we had completed a few sites and their last E5.5 servers had been removed. Each site has a SRS running as to continue directory replication with other E5.5 servers. Now we noticed that one of the completed site does not show the "Directory Replication Connector" node when viewing using the Exchange 5.5 Admin program. However, when we view the read-only context of that site from another site, the node is there. We had tried connecting to that site using another Exchange 5.5 Admin program but the node is still mis...

Create Folders and Write To Hard Disk Other than C:
My app can generate many gigabytes of data files (several megabytes each) per the user choice. For those who wonder, this happens over many hours and or days. I am making XP and up a requirement for using the app. So, for XP and up how do I do the following: (1)Set permissions on a different hard drive (other than C:) to read, write and delete data files. (a)for this user (b)for all users (common data). (2)Create a folder (assumes this is different than "normal"). I may be totally wrong, but I assume that reading, writing and deleting the file in this fo...

Public Calendar, Meeting Owner/Organizer
I have searched and searched for an answer to this question, and hopefully even if the answer is "no" somebody will answer. My question is, is there any way to see who created or is the owner of a particular meeting in a Public Folder/Shared Calendar? Thank you. if you change the view on the calendar to "by category", and make sure the "from" field is there, you should be able to tell who made an entry... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Christine Lisi" <ChristineLisi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DA4B3D5-ED9D-4715-BC3E-0620B...

How do I deal with the quarantine folder?
I am new to Outlook. What should I do with mail that Outlook automatically places in the Quarantine folder? This is not done by Outlook. Most likely this is a folder created by your virusscanner. In general only infected e-mails are placed in that folder. Periodically check it and clear its contents most likley will also apply to you. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "KDill" <KDill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Backing up one folder shows space required for whole volume
Hi, We have fileserver cluster of windows server 2008 with sp2. We have installed DPM 2010 agents on both fileserver and DPM detected them as cluster nodes. We tried to set one test job to backup one folder of 5gb from clustered volume. At "Review disk allocation" we got "Total data size: 4,604 GB" which is the size of the whole volume and so we are getting below error in same wizard step. "There is insufficient free space in the storage pool for this protection group." We have 1.9TB space available to SAN connected to DPM server. Do we n...

Workaround for sorting activities by date!!
I have a workaround for sorting activities by date that does not involve telling your sales people to type the date on the subject line! This is in depth and is not supported in any way. If you don't understand how to create triggers and views in SQL Server then do not attempt this. First thing's first... Make a backup of your CRM database. Create a new user defined function as follows: CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[DateFormat] (@date datetime) RETURNS char(10) AS BEGIN RETURN ('[' + CONVERT(char(8), @date, 2) + ']') END Then find the view called "Activity". L...

exchange and directory access
Dear, all. I have 2 dc in a domain, in exch2003 system-administration, [server name]/properties/directory access, i could see both dc are set to DC&GC, and PDC is set to type(configuration) also. If i shutdown one of dc(not PDC role), i couldn't open system-administration console in exch2003. Is this normal, i mean, whether it's possible to open SA console when i shutdown one of or both of dc? Thanks. Frank You can't open Exchange System Manager? What happens when you try? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" &q...

Sorting files in a folder
I have a folder with *.jpg files and *.AVI files. I would like to group or sort these files so that all the jpg files are separated from the AVI files. Within those two groups, I would like the second sort criteria to be by the Date Taken or Date Created in ascending order. In XP, you could sort by file type - but, unless MS changed the name, I don't see how to do this. If I can only sort the AVI files in a sort or group - then change to the jpg files (all by date), that's OK. Can anyone help? Right-mouse click on empty spac in that folder, and all options are open for ...

ID no: c10308a2 error message when you use the Active Directory Users and
Hi all. I still have a problem :( "ID no: c10308a2" error message when you use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in to remotely add or edit an e-mail address for a mail-enabled user in Exchange Server 2003" sc sdset SCMANAGER D:(A;;CCLCRPRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCRPWPRC;;;SY)(A;;KA;;;BA)S:(AU;FA;KA;;;WD)(AU;OIIOFA;GA;;;WD) not help to achieve this goal Is this error from multiple machines? All XP I assume. Have you tried reinstalling the Exchange Management tools? Nue "Maniac" <maniac@remove.hotbox.ru> wrote in message news:e28DtiGPGHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP1...

Offline Public Folders?
Quick question: Can you make Public Folders available offline as well? Cached Exchange Mode doesn't seem to cache the public folders -- is this even possible? I have Exchange 2003 Single Server and Outlook 2003. Thx. I havent tried this with OL2003, but it works with OL2002. You need to mark the Public Folder as a Favorite then you can make it available offline. "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message news:egucuOgYFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Quick question: > > Can you make Public Folders available offline as well? Cached Exchange...

Mysterious message in Drafts folder.
I found this in my Drafts folder a few days ago: Font used - Times New Roman 12. "Annie, one easy thing to try is to download and run Autoruns from Microsoft or CNET. It is a small standalone utility that is free and needs no installation, but can be run from your downloads folder. Select the Logon tab and see if you can spot something that is hogging your resources. Uncheck any item you can do without - you can always run Autoruns again and re-check the item if you have regrets. When you make changes you will be asked to elevate to administrator from within Autoruns - conse...

Application.GetOpenFilename from a specified directory
Hello! I have Excel 2003 and I already have a macro to popup a open file dialog. However, it always starts at "C:\My Documents" folder. I want it to browse files to open from a specific directory. How is this done? Note that I already have the "ChDir" on the line above the "Application.GetOpenFilename" but the browsing does not start from the specified directory. Thanks in advance for your response. This is small example Change MyPath = ThisWorkbook.Path to your folder MyPath = "C:\Users\Ron\test\" Sub test() Dim FName As Varia...

Prevent users from deleting folders
What's the best way to allow my users the ability to Add, Delete, Change rights on a Public Folder but not allow them to delete the folder itself? Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003. Thanks, Rafael Try custom permissions - you'll see what they can do/not do. However, I don't know if it's possible to do what you want, as they could also grant themselves rights to do whatever they wanted. Rafael wrote: > What's the best way to allow my users the ability to Add, Delete, > Change rights on a Public Folder but not allow them to delete the > folder itself? Exchange 200...

Getting hotmail into outlook 2007 mail folders.
I just got hotmail plus. Email goes into outlook but into separate folders created under my hotmail address. How do I get email to go into the regular outlook mail folders automatically? Thanks. "Prince Arthur" wrote in message news:F33A810E-955F-4999-8F16-9EB6807D9D95@microsoft.com... > I just got hotmail plus. Email goes into outlook but into separate > folders > created under my hotmail address. How do I get email to go into the > regular > outlook mail folders automatically? Thanks. Exchange and POP3 accounts get their messages aggregated into the one (de...

RMS 2.0 Activation And Deactivation Process
Hi! We recently installed RMS Store Ops 2.0. However, the product key was mistakenly activated to back office computer instead of the POS. How can i correct this? What is the procedure to deactivate the product key at the back office and re-activate it at POS? Please help, very urgent! Thank you! I just did this last week. Install everything when activating POS choose by phone then call MS. they'll walk you thru it "Francis Reyes" <FrancisReyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5584B60-AB10-44AE-9076-7AA3360B7B92@microsoft.com... > Hi! We recentl...

Activating "Todays Date" column upon opening?
Ok I have a workbook that tracks Vacation Dates, Attendence, and Schedules for all employees in a department. Row 8 Starting from column B (B8) and beyond (B9, B10, B11, B12...) contains the date. This runs all the way to the end of the year (12/31/05) Now what I would like to do is either A: Make it automatically (search & activate) the column for "today's" date when I select the worksheet Or B: Make a button that will do the same. Here is a rough guestimate of what the sheet looks like A B C D E F ...

folders to store read emails
Version: 2008 Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I am a new Mac user. I want to keep some of my read emails by creating sub-folders in my inbox. please help On 5/25/10 5:17 PM, in article 59bb8ff6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Rosemary_Potter@officeformac.com" <Rosemary_Potter@officeformac.com> wrote: > I want to keep some of my read emails by creating sub-folders in my inbox. > please help Under File in the Menu bar select New Subfolder. Be sure to select the Inbox first. You can also toggle read/unread under View in the Menu bar. -- Diane Ross, Mi...

Sending mails from Personal Folders
Replying to a mail in a personal folder does not file the mail in the Sent mail folder: If I create a new mail from within personal folders, the sent mail folder gets updated. However, (frustratingly) if I replay to a mail that I've moved into persoanl folders (which I do to keep the online folders down to a manageable size) the sent mail gets saved to the personal folder that I'm in and NOT the sent folder. Is there a way to fix this? Many thanks. chris.baldry@bt.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I create a new mail from within personal folders,...