public folders and global address list

Hi Folks,
I have some calendars set up in my public folders for scheduling purposes 
representing certain conference rooms. I would like to place these calendars 
in my global address list so that when inviting to meetings, a meeting will 
be added to that room's calendar (as opposed to scheduling a meeting for 
people and room separately). Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? 
Thanks ahead of time!
Matt
0
Matt1817 (383)
6/1/2005 2:37:19 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
381 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

Public Folder calendars don't make good resource calendars.  The better 
option would be to create dedicated resource user accounts and mailboxes 
(i.e. user called Conference Room X) and then download and install the 
Exchange AutoAccept Agent and use that to automatically accept meeting 
requests.  It does require Exchange 2003 in order to work correctly.  If you 
aren't running Exchange 2003, then take a look at the AutoAccept Sink 
(Exchange 2000)
http://autoaccept-sink.sourceforge.net/

The problem is that Public folders cannot be configured to automatically 
accept meeting requests.  They also do not generate Free/Busy info, so you 
will not be able to see (other than accessing the calendar) if it is already 
booked.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E1892163-C7F4-49AF-B602-7168F993F3DE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Folks,
> I have some calendars set up in my public folders for scheduling purposes
> representing certain conference rooms. I would like to place these 
> calendars
> in my global address list so that when inviting to meetings, a meeting 
> will
> be added to that room's calendar (as opposed to scheduling a meeting for
> people and room separately). Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?
> Thanks ahead of time!
> Matt 


0
Ben
6/1/2005 6:37:20 PM
Hey Ben,
I run Exch. 2003 in Win 2003. So basically just create users for the rooms 
as I do for regular users and then dl and install an autoaccept agent. How do 
I get it and how do I configure these new accounts to use it when I have it 
to that point? Thanks Ben!
Matt

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Public Folder calendars don't make good resource calendars.  The better 
> option would be to create dedicated resource user accounts and mailboxes 
> (i.e. user called Conference Room X) and then download and install the 
> Exchange AutoAccept Agent and use that to automatically accept meeting 
> requests.  It does require Exchange 2003 in order to work correctly.  If you 
> aren't running Exchange 2003, then take a look at the AutoAccept Sink 
> (Exchange 2000)
> http://autoaccept-sink.sourceforge.net/
> 
> The problem is that Public folders cannot be configured to automatically 
> accept meeting requests.  They also do not generate Free/Busy info, so you 
> will not be able to see (other than accessing the calendar) if it is already 
> booked.
> 
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> 
> 
> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:E1892163-C7F4-49AF-B602-7168F993F3DE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Folks,
> > I have some calendars set up in my public folders for scheduling purposes
> > representing certain conference rooms. I would like to place these 
> > calendars
> > in my global address list so that when inviting to meetings, a meeting 
> > will
> > be added to that room's calendar (as opposed to scheduling a meeting for
> > people and room separately). Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?
> > Thanks ahead of time!
> > Matt 
> 
> 
> 
0
Matt1817 (383)
6/1/2005 7:59:04 PM
Yes.

The AutoAccept Agent can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D0884E6-C603-491D-BF57-ACF03E046BFE&displaylang=en

It's free and it does a reasonably good job with this.  Make sure you read 
through the deployment guide (there's a link about halfway down the page).

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:26AA421F-018F-4F01-85CF-638D403C0451@microsoft.com...
> Hey Ben,
> I run Exch. 2003 in Win 2003. So basically just create users for the rooms
> as I do for regular users and then dl and install an autoaccept agent. How 
> do
> I get it and how do I configure these new accounts to use it when I have 
> it
> to that point? Thanks Ben!
> Matt
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Public Folder calendars don't make good resource calendars.  The better
>> option would be to create dedicated resource user accounts and mailboxes
>> (i.e. user called Conference Room X) and then download and install the
>> Exchange AutoAccept Agent and use that to automatically accept meeting
>> requests.  It does require Exchange 2003 in order to work correctly.  If 
>> you
>> aren't running Exchange 2003, then take a look at the AutoAccept Sink
>> (Exchange 2000)
>> http://autoaccept-sink.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> The problem is that Public folders cannot be configured to automatically
>> accept meeting requests.  They also do not generate Free/Busy info, so 
>> you
>> will not be able to see (other than accessing the calendar) if it is 
>> already
>> booked.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>
>>
>> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E1892163-C7F4-49AF-B602-7168F993F3DE@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Folks,
>> > I have some calendars set up in my public folders for scheduling 
>> > purposes
>> > representing certain conference rooms. I would like to place these
>> > calendars
>> > in my global address list so that when inviting to meetings, a meeting
>> > will
>> > be added to that room's calendar (as opposed to scheduling a meeting 
>> > for
>> > people and room separately). Does anyone know how I can accomplish 
>> > this?
>> > Thanks ahead of time!
>> > Matt
>>
>>
>> 


0
Ben
6/1/2005 8:09:19 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do I get address book to include e-mail address?
When I select to: box in the new message the search box does not include the e-mail address and is not included in the address line. How do i fix that? Any chance the Contacts folder has lost it's "Show this folder as an E-mail Address Book" checkmark in Properties? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197577/en-us "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" check box is dimmed in Outlook Contact folder properties Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!...

Emptying 'Deleted Items' folder on exit
I am running WLM version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726) on Windows 7 with all the latest updates. I have 'Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on exit' checked under Maintenance, but they're all still there when I exit and restart WLM. Is there another setting I should be looking at to make this work? TIA, -- SC Tom Tom, I experienced the same thing earlier today. I'm new to WLM and found that if you "checked" the ''Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on > exit' after there were items in the Deleted Items folder, it ...

Auto fill and drop down lists
The fields are Rank and Rank Sort (I cant do this alpabetically as a the ranks (Military) don't run in alphabetical order. The idea is this: The form (Pers Details Form) contains personal details Name, Number etc from the Pers Details Table. There will be box where I can select the rank from a dropdown list. The Rank details are contained in a seperate table (Rank Table) containing a Rank and Rank Sort column. In the Pers Details Form I can create a record, enter details but I want to have a drop down box to choose the rank from. Once chosen I would like the rank to show (but ...

MyDocuments folder
hi, i am tring to create folder in MyDocuments, with this function HANDLE hFile = CreateFile(path,GENERIC_WRITE|GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL); where path = _T("%USERPROFILE%\\Documenti") + _T("\\FileName.xxx"); i used ("%USERPROFILE%\\Documenti to get the path of mydocuments but i didnt find the file , i used GetLastError(); where the function tell me the path is incorect any idea to get the path of mydocuments folder thanks for help You could use: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...

Price list 02-23-06
Does anyone know how to default a quote to a particular price list, or can I remove this mandatory field? Tks. Ian Hi Ian, You could write a script at the OnLoad Event of the Quote Form. var CRM_FORM_TYPE_CREATE = 1; var CRM_FORM_TYPE_UPDATE = 2; switch (crmForm.FormType) { case CRM_FORM_TYPE_CREATE: alert("This is a create form."); //insert the PriceList GUID into the Price List look up field here. break; case CRM_FORM_TYPE_UPDATE: break; } Hope this helps. -- Manisha Powar (Madhusudanan) Program Manager Microsoft Dynamics - CRM This post...

Rule to forward mail to external address doesn't work
It might be an XCON issue but I didn't find the corresponding group so I post my questions here. I set up a rule that when an email arrives if my name is in the "to" or "cc" field then forward the email to another external SMTP address for example an hotmail address. however this rule never works through. It's a Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 SP1 I have no problem to manually forward the email to that external SMTP address; If forward to an mailbox in our Exchange Org, it works; I turned on diagnostic for Transport, no error or warning logged; I tracked mes...

Contacts vs Personal Address Book. Can't pull emails into TO fiel
Howdy, I'm using Outlook 2k3 and having a slight problem. WHen I view my Contact list in the main view, I have two sets (not sure why but I'll be combining them). These lists have standard name, email, etc. Problem is when I go to create a new email message and click the TO: button, it tries to look for my Personal Address Book which I don't have. How can I make it not use the PAB and use the Contacts list instead? Thanks. OK, I think I just stumbled on the issue. For some reason on my COntacts Properties, the check box to tell Outlook to use that in the Address Book ...

Public Folder Replication not running
We have two exchange 2000 servers in the same exchange organization, same active directory domain. We have one set of public folders that have been configured to replicate to both servers. We would create public folders on one server and then they replicate to the other server immediately (replication interval set to "always"). But last week the replication suddenly stopped for new folders, although existing ones still appear to replicate their contents. When we create a new folder on one server, and set it in system manger to replicate to the other server, replicas never appear ...

List box with available queries question
I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all the queries within the database. The following code is what I have so far but it does not work. Any help is appreciated. SELECT [Name] FROM MSysObjects WHERE [TYPE] = 5 and LEFT([Name],1) <> "-" ORDER BY [Name]; "Billy B" <BillyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F47BB77B-7B66-4860-8954-F4FE32FE7C3C@microsoft.com... >I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all >the > queries within the database. The following code is what...

Force command to run for each computer in txt file list of compute
I have a few hundred computers that haven't been defragged in years. I was wondering if rather than doing it manually, if someone had a script where if i just put all the computer names in a txt file, it would iterate through the list and perform a "defrag c: -f" on them all from my workstation. The workstations all have the same local administrator password, so the process would be the same for each. I just dont know how to write scripts. I know if i were going to do this manually from my computer I would run the command below for each ComputerName psexec ...

Changing a username/address
Hello, I work with someone who just changed her name, and I'm trying to figure out how to change it on the Exchange (2000) server. I changed the username in Active Directory (also 2000), but messages from the user still have the old name in the Sender field. Also, when I point to the mailbox for saving messages, it has the new name (Mailbox - New Name) until restarting Outlook, and then it has the old name. Do I have to Exmerge out the mail, delete the account, re-create the account, change the name of the .pst file and import the mail? Thanks in advance! Jeff Follow these steps: =...

Outlook 2003 Personal Address Book forwarding problem
This Outlook 2003 is connected to a Exchange 5.5 Server The problem is this, everytime I try to forward any e-mail and use any distribution list on the Personal Address Book it does not want to send the e-mail but if I try to send it any other way it works fine. Thanks ...

How to find addresses stored in Favorites folder
My toobar shows a button for adding to favorites but I can not find my favorites list anywhere after I add them? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041116.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ "Zuli" <Zuli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1B7543A-7BE9-40C6-A4BA-5770FD90AB79@microsoft.com... > My toobar shows a button...

What program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in outlook?
I have one user (Vista Business, Outlook 2007 connected to Exchange 2003) who has today started to see a pop-up from Outlook saying: "A program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in Outlook. If this is unexpected, click Deny and verify your antivirus software is up-to-date." Anti-virus (McAfee) is up todate, and I'm doing a scan now and afterwards will do a separate scan for malware. This user tells me that he hasn't knowingly installed anything recently. My question is: is there any way to determine what the program is which is try...

unable to display inbox folder due to "invalid handle"???
Ran a scandisk that identified a couple of cluster problems, and allowed the computer to fix the problems identified . Since then, whenever trying to access email in OUTLOOK, we get the following message: "Unable to display the foler. The file c:\windows\localsettings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed. The handle is invalid." What is going on? ...

Authenticating addresses for sending emails
I installed Office XP for Small Business on my laptop recently. Now, quite often I am getting an error message when I try to send an email to someone that says, "You must first authenticate this email address". Does anyone know how this is done? Thanks, Ken I have Office 2003 and I saw this once in my copy, I found it all I had to do was to add the person to my address book as it was part of the built in Spam filters. -- Tedd Riggs PDA Square Content Developer www.pdasquare.com "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01fc01c3d94f$...

How do I send to myself at an alternate email address?
I have Outlook 2007 and am a new user. I have two separate email addresses - one thru a LAN at the office and one with a different provider. Outlook will not let me send to myself from one to the other. I seem to have no problem sending internally thru the LAN. Do you get any errors? If yes, please post the exact error message. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, DeeJay asked: | I have Outlook 2007 an...

File folder info. in Excel workbook?
Good day all. Excel 2007. XP Pro. Is there a way to have all available excel files in a particular folder listed (updated in real time) in an excel spreadsheet where the user can click on one or more of them to open those files or at least retrieve specific data from them? I have a situation where files representing cost centres and each month of the year need to present data into a worksheet used for reporting purposes. So potentially 5 x 12 = 60 files. But these are only created as the months pass. so at the end of month1 there would only be the 5 files, month 2 there would be...

Public folder default display
Hi, I have an Exchange server 5.5 and I make some forms used by the clients to publish information in public folders. My problem is : How create a default display (server side) for a public folder used by Outlook clients. In my case I want a chronology display. Thank you Michel ...

Linking Drop-down list to worksheets
I need 20 dropdown list on the worksheet. some of drop-down lists has the same values. I need a list thats has one set of names and worksheet has another set of names. Here is a example want I need. LIST names Worksheet names Red - Black 770rb Black-White 770bw My list will have 15 items in each list. When user click on the color it would take them to that worksheet. What is best way to do this? ...

Suggestions on how to create a database that will allow lookup of nonunique addresses for unique names
Hello: I am relatively new to access, though vaguely familiar with database concepts and Access jargon (i.e., queries). I need to do the following (see below) and I was hoping someone could tell me what is the best way (at a high level) to do this in Access. I have a large list of names and addresses thrown into a single flat table. There are many duplicates in the file. Somehow, I need to separate duplicate addresses from the file and place them in another table so that I can link the list of unique names to the addresses (i.e., a one to many relationship). My end users will be using the d...

Multiple recipients for one address
Total newbie question. I work for a company with a dedicated service department. I need for up to 5 people to be able to get a copy of a message that comes in to the address "servcie@ourdomain.com". I tried adding this address to each of the users, but I can't give one address to multiple users. I don't want to create a "Service" user and have them check that account. I just want the emails to be routed from the service@ address to each users' inbox. Total newbie, so detailed answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Create a mail-enabled Grou...

Colored folders in MS outlook.
How do I colorize my folders in outlook http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/coloremail.htm "ACM" <ACM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B144F61-FD0F-4AD9-BE89-23801D356A49@microsoft.com... > How do I colorize my folders in outlook The folder icons? You can't. You can use automatic formatting to highlight messages in color. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists....

inbox contents moved to contacts folder
I recently had a user of Microsoft Outlook 2003 report a strange problem to me. She stated when she opened her inbox all the emails were gone and upon investigation she found them all in her contacts folder. Is this possible/ how can it happen and how do we get them back? Thanks, Pat she probably accidently dragged them to the contacts folder. if they aren't converted to contacts, drag them back. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Offline address book
Recently a handful of users are not getting an updated version of the offline address book. These users are using Outlook 2003 and in cached mode. i simply delete the udetails.oab file (1.7mb) and goto send and receive > download address book and they get the new version. I have checked exchaneg 2003 and in the event logs it sucesgully creates a new OAB every night, think it says version 4 or something. Any ideas what's happening? Hi Gonzo, This is default behaviour, Outlook will normally download a .diff offline address book only every 24 hour. This is default behaviour be...