Public Folder Permission Propogation

Hello all,

We have a little problem here regarding applying new permissions to existing
public folders. In Exchange 2003 you can propogate mailbox permissions from
within Systems Manager, but it replaces all the permissions on all sub
folders. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the lower level
permissions rather than replacing them?

Example....

Public Folder Store
~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner
~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner
~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner

If I wanted to add in User3 as an owner of all the subfolders I could change
the permissions on Folder1 and then propogate the permissions down through
the other folders. However, that would replace all the subfolder permissions:

Public Folder Store
~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
~~~~~~Folder3 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner

What if I wanted to retain the subfolder permissions, but 'add' the User3 as
a new owner:

Public Folder Store
~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner - User3:Owner
~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner - User3:Owner

Is that possible? Or would I have to replace all the subfolder permissions
manually?
0
mat (11)

You can do it with the PFADMIN utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287110

"Mat" <Mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> We have a little problem here regarding applying new permissions to
existing
> public folders. In Exchange 2003 you can propogate mailbox permissions
from
> within Systems Manager, but it replaces all the permissions on all sub
> folders. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the lower level
> permissions rather than replacing them?
>
> Example....
>
> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner
>
> If I wanted to add in User3 as an owner of all the subfolders I could
change
> the permissions on Folder1 and then propogate the permissions down through
> the other folders. However, that would replace all the subfolder
permissions:

> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
>
> What if I wanted to retain the subfolder permissions, but 'add' the User3
as
> a new owner:
>
> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
>
> Is that possible? Or would I have to replace all the subfolder permissions
> manually?

0
nir (15)
9/27/2004 12:25:04 PM
It's not a product plug, honest, but you would want similar to:
http://wm.quest.com/library/docs/directoryintegrityagent/Directory_Integrity_Agent.pdf for this.

"Mat" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We have a little problem here regarding applying new permissions to existing
> public folders. In Exchange 2003 you can propogate mailbox permissions from
> within Systems Manager, but it replaces all the permissions on all sub
> folders. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the lower level
> permissions rather than replacing them?
>
> Example....
>
> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner
>
> If I wanted to add in User3 as an owner of all the subfolders I could change
> the permissions on Folder1 and then propogate the permissions down through
> the other folders. However, that would replace all the subfolder permissions:
>
> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
>
> What if I wanted to retain the subfolder permissions, but 'add' the User3 as
> a new owner:
>
> Public Folder Store
> ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner - User3:Owner
> ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
>
> Is that possible? Or would I have to replace all the subfolder permissions
> manually?
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/27/2004 12:27:02 PM
Thanks, that's just the ticket!

"Nir B" wrote:

> You can do it with the PFADMIN utility:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287110
>

> "Mat" <Mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We have a little problem here regarding applying new permissions to
> existing
> > public folders. In Exchange 2003 you can propogate mailbox permissions
> from
> > within Systems Manager, but it replaces all the permissions on all sub
> > folders. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the lower level
> > permissions rather than replacing them?
> >
> > Example....
> >
> > Public Folder Store
> > ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner
> > ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner
> > ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner
> >
> > If I wanted to add in User3 as an owner of all the subfolders I could
> change
> > the permissions on Folder1 and then propogate the permissions down through
> > the other folders. However, that would replace all the subfolder
> permissions:
> >
> > Public Folder Store
> > ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> > ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> > ~~~~~~Folder3 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> >
> > What if I wanted to retain the subfolder permissions, but 'add' the User3
> as
> > a new owner:
> >
> > Public Folder Store
> > ~~Folder1 - User1:Author - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> > ~~~~Folder2 - User1:Author - User5:Owner - User3:Owner
> > ~~~~~~Folder3 - User2:Owner - User3:Owner
> >
> > Is that possible? Or would I have to replace all the subfolder permissions
> > manually?

0
mat (11)

Public folder replication #8
Hello friends: As our exchange 5.5 pub.edb file was taking up almost all the hard drive space, we asked our main office to stop replicating their public folders to our server, even after they stopped replicating the size of the pub.edb hasn't gone down. Is there an utlity that will delete the whitespace in the database file? please advise. Thanks. Hello, an offline defrag might help... See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185 for more information on how to accomplish this. Greetings, Henning Krause ========================== Visit my website: http://www.inf...

Securing Public Folders
Hello. I am using Exchange 2003. I am trying to secure the root of the public folder to keep users from creating folders there. I have sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict permissions at the root level. Any help would be appreciated. In news:FC06B16E-4365-4FB8-98EB-258FCAE567A2@microsoft.com, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello. I am using Exchange 2003. I am trying to secure the root of > the public folder to keep users from creating folders there. I have > sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to rest...

Wrong icon order in Folder List
Hello. We're using Outlook 2000 here at work, and one user's installation of Outlook is displaying her Folder List icons in the wrong order, and we can't seem to change this. By default, she'd like to have her Outlook Today icon (containing subtrees of her Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) at the top...and the other icons (Personal Folders and Public Folders) underneath Outlook today in the Folder List. But the Folder List insists on displaying the icons in this order: Public Folders, Personal Folders, Outlook Today. Does anyone know if there's a way to change this order/b...

change encoding for multiple items/folders
I would like to know if there is a way to set different encoding to multiple items (messages) I receive? for example - i 'm receiving messages from some users in hebrew, but default encoding is cyrilic(windows). i've created a rule and messages from those senders are moved to specific folder now, i would like to set encoding for all messages in this folder. Thank You.. gebroi@gmail.com <gebroi@gmail.com> wrote: > I would like to know if there is a way to set different encoding to > multiple items (messages) I receive? > for example - i 'm receiving messages from ...

Restricting Top Level folders
Hi, I am keen to restrict the top level folder creation power of my users in Exchange 2003. I have just installed the 1st (And currently only Exchange server) in my organisation. I have read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 256131 which is apparently for Exchange 2003. I went to remove the Everyone rights and found that they did not have the right to create top level folders...The allow box was not set. Is there something out of date in the article or have I missed something. Regards, Simon. Hi Simon, I just checked my E2K3 server and found that the everyone group had the right ...

Outlook 2003
I know you can view public calendars by clicking on the Folder List button on the Navigation Pane rather than the Mail, but does anyone know how to add the Public Calendar from the Navigation Pane to a users "Calendar" tab in Outlook 2003? TIA TD ...

Users have permission to look at other mailboxes
I can't find where to limit the access to user mailboxes. I thought I was the only one (Administrator) that had access to other mailboxes (Outlook Open other users mailbox) though I found out everyone does and I can't find the permission to change...Any thoughts? -- Striving to know more... Check permissions on the mailbox Store and trace it up each level if the permissions are inherited from a parent. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "TechMan" <TechMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Possible Public Folder Corruption
I still have ek23 and ek55 coexisting right now. I used pfmigrate to replicate the ek55 PF to ek23 and all went well. Nearly all of my user mailboxes are still located on the ek55 server with only 5 on the ek23 server. The issue: The Veritas Backups for ek55 have been going much slower than normal. When the job is canceled, Veritas states in the error log "Database or Database element is corrupt". This occurs on the Exchange Public Folders. My question: What is the best course of action to resolve this problem? Should I assume that any corruption is also replicated t...

Synchronization of folders
Running OL2007 under Vista Home Premium SP2. Thanks to some messy activiities recently, I have a Live.com mail account with about 22 messages that don't appear in the corresponding Outlook Inbox. What's the best way to fix this? Ignore this thread. I had to re-do everything and it settled down. Thanks anyway. "BudV" <BudVitoff@NOatt.SPAMnet> wrote in message news:uA8x$76wKHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Running OL2007 under Vista Home Premium SP2. > > Thanks to some messy activiities recently, I have a Live.com mail account > wi...

Hide the All Public Folders folder
Hello all. Im running an Exchange 2003 std edition server sp2. Some users asked me today: Is it possible to start directly in my "allowed" public folder, and dont see the All Public Folders folder and the favorites folder? I have been searching all around, but the only thing I can find is howto deny users from looking into any other folders below the very first one. Any help would be nice. Regards, Kenneth Dybdahl "kenneth@centric.no" wrote: > Hello all. > > Im running an Exchange 2003 std edition server sp2. > > Some users asked me today: Is it p...

Access Mailbox Folders
I need to be able to view an ex-employee's exchange mailbox, and would like to open thier folders along with mine in outlook. I know to go to services and add the user in the "Open these additional Mailboxes" field. However, it says "Unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened." I am sure this is a mailbox rights issue. When I go to the Exchange Advanced tab for the user, and click the mailbox rights button, several accounts are checked to DENY "full mailbox access." I am unable to uncheck it because it is inheriti...

Lost all folder
I was working in Windows Mail deleting what was in my trash folder and the software stopped responding. This has happened before when creating emails and I usually just stop working and the system would catch up and start to respond. This time when it came back to life, so to speak, all of my folders disappeared. After reading some of treads, I checked on the "View Folders" (View-Layout-Folders) tab and that was not it. Right now the only options are Local Folders that include Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Drafts & Junk Emails. Under this I used to have...

Public Folders
Hello All, Running E2003 STD sp1 on WS2003. One public folder was deleted with had an email address. when I've restored the folder from the tape backup the folder had to be re enabled to allow mail access again. The system no longer will allow the folder to have its original email address and says the address is still in use. Have check all the places I know to find were the old address is hiding but unable to find it to remove it and allow its reuse. Any suggestions? Regards Neville On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:32:02 -0800, "Neville" <Neville@discussions.microsoft.com&...

need to list all public folders
exchange 5.5, need to list all public folders and what users are able to access them and what rights that have to the folder. need this info for my migration to exchange 2003 Try http://www.c2c.com/products/ESRA/default.htm -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2d6401c42895$7fb6efb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > exchange 5.5, need to list all public folders and what > users are able to access them and what rights that have to > the folder. need this info f...

Incorrect permissions set in Word 2004 for Mac
I am using MS Word 2004, Version 11.5.6, on the Mac. I think that when it creates a new file it does not set permissions according to the umask. I have umask set to 0002, which should give write access to the group. When I create a file using vi, for example, the group has write access. But when I create a new Word document, the group has read access only: $ ls -l temp.doc -rw-r--r-- 1 mark family 19456 Feb 6 23:11 temp.doc $ umask 0002 I want to give the group "family" write access to any new Word documents that are created. Why is this not happening wit...

Grant alter procedure permissions
I have a request to create a database role with permissions to create and update stored procedures and functions but not change the table definition, keys, indexes, and triggers. I created the role in the development database and gave it the following permissions: Create Procedure Create Function Alter Any Schema View Definition With this role the developers can create and modify stored procedures and functions. However, they can still perform certain edits on tables (eg. they can drop foreign keys but cannot create them. Reading on BOL, I see the objects in the schema ...

Move Mailbox 55 to 2003 delegate/client permissions not working
Hi Hope someone out there can help. We recently started moving mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. What we find is that users who remain on the old system and which had permissions to certain folders of a user moved to 2003 can no longer access these resources. Now here is the strange part, on this particular 2003 user, when you remove the permissions on Outlook and recreate them the 55 user can still not access the folder. BUT, if I assign permissions to a completely diff Mbx (previously migrated to 2003) on 2003 then the 55 user can access the resources. We have many users w...

Connecting to public folders
While using Microsoft Outlook 2000 Professional one user out of the whole network gets an error message at random times while not even using Outlook the error message is: "Unable to update public free/busy data. The contents of this public folder are currently unavailable. Either the Microsoft Exchange Server computer servicing this public folder is down or the public folder has not been replicated to this site. See your administrator" I am not sure what this error message means if there is some guidance that anyone can help with please let me know at: alexander_r_inbox1@ya...

address lists or public folders?
Hi all, I am a newbie to Exchange. I am currently evaluating and testing Exchange 2003 for our office. I would like to know what is the recommended way of maintaining public & private contacts lists. What I would like to do is as follows:- 1. Maintain a public list of employees and their email addresses. 2. Allow each employee to also setup their own private list of Contacts and giving them the ability to only allow certain other users (maybe secretrary) have visibility. This way they can get access to their Contacts remotely too i.e. via OWA or via Pocket PC hot sync? So which is bette...

Can I delete the content of the "filter" folder on Exchange
Is it safe to delete the content of the 'mailroot\vsi 1\filter' folder? I'm also wondering what all those files are. Thanks, Rafael "Rafael" <rafael1119@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is it safe to delete the content of the 'mailroot\vsi 1\filter' folder? I'm >also wondering what all those files are. It is if you don't want the messages. These are the messages that the Virtual Servers were instructed to filter and archive. If you don't want the filtered messages archived, clear the checkbox. This KB article explains: XADM: How to Filter Ju...

Delete with out delete folder
Is there any way to delete an email item and have it permanently deleted without having it first go to the deleted items folder. I am aware that I can have the deleted items folder cleared on exit but do not want to do that. Thanks, Will Will@k2e.com Hard delete the item (hold down the Shift key when deleting the item). -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Will Fleenor" <will@k2e.com> wrote in message news:uRFs5I$7DHA.712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Alternate xlstart folder not starting
Excel XP Win 2000 Server We run 6 identical Dell Optiplex's installed with Office Xp Professional. One work station currently does not load the files in our alternate xlstart folder (on our server). All other clients configured the same way load these files upon starting Excel. Any experience with this issues would be greatly appreciated. Bill Carlson ...

Outlook New Email "To..." Addresses From Contact Folder
The displayed name This is supposed to be controlled by "Display as:" under "Email" in Contact. I can't get it to work. "First Last" is always displayed no matter what I do. Suggestions? I suggest posting your Outlook version so we can answer. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Roy Bethel" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:brno9s$7vh$1@newslocal.mitre.org... > The displayed name This is supposed to be controlled by "Display as:" under > "Email" in Contact. I can't get it to work. "First Last"...

Calendar continues sending appointment messages to the Deleted Items folder
Hi, I have a user who reports her Calendar (Outlook 2000) continues sending appointment messages to the Deleted Items folder. Server is Exchange 5.5 SP4 server. Any thoughts? Do they get added to the calendar before they are deleted? Does this person have the Resource Scheduling option under Tools->Options->Caledar set to automatically accept? Also, does the person have the option set to delete blank and voting options turned on? One last thing to check, does the user have any rules defined that affect appointment items? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to...

Publisher 2007 "working folder"
How do I set a new "working folder" in Pub 07? There are no "File Locations" settings under "Options" as there have been in past versions for opening and saving files somewhere other than My Documents. It's a real pain to constantly have to navigate through 3 folders every time I want to open or save a project. Help!! It isn't an option in 2007. A workaround, File, save as, navigate to the folder you want as default, right-click the "Look in:" task pane, add the folder. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msaue...