Public Folder/OWA problem

We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment.  I'm trying to setup a public folder
where end-user software can be posted.  This way, users can access our
front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and then
save the software to their local PC.  The problem is that i get a "403
Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA.  I checked
that users had all permissions to the folder..

I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us).  The only problem is that it
refers to something called "freedocs" causing the problem, and they include
a registry fix to allow freedocs to be downloaded from OWA public folders.

So my question is, will this reg fix also work for any kind of file posted
in a public folder (.doc, .exe, etc.)?  If not, how can i setup our public
folders in the way i described so that people can use it as a software
depot?

Thanks in advance.

0
jim3476 (230)

Yes, I believe that is the change you need to make.  A freedoc can be pretty
much any type of document.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment.  I'm trying to setup a public
> folder where end-user software can be posted.  This way, users can access
> our front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and
> then save the software to their local PC.  The problem is that i get a
> "403 Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA.  I
> checked that users had all permissions to the folder..
>
> I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us).  The only problem is that
> it refers to something called "freedocs" causing the problem, and they
> include a registry fix to allow freedocs to be downloaded from OWA public
> folders.
>
> So my question is, will this reg fix also work for any kind of file posted
> in a public folder (.doc, .exe, etc.)?  If not, how can i setup our public
> folders in the way i described so that people can use it as a software
> depot?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
neil.hobson (1158)

problems came up in the following areas during load
I get this message when i copy either text or a graphic from the internet (using IE)and attempt to paste it into MS Publisher. The error dialog box says "Problems During Load"...this box normally apprears 20-30 seconds after I click paste. Once I hit OK, the text or graphic will appear. It never did this before. Any suggestions? CPG Co wrote: > I get this message when i copy either text or a graphic from the internet > (using IE)and attempt to paste it into MS Publisher. The error dialog box > says "Problems During Load"...this box normally apprears 20-...

Can not open folders containing emails. Says server not availble
I cannot open my folder for email files in Outlook. Get error message saying "set of folders could not be opened. Server is not available. Contact your administrator." What version of Outlook? What type of email acount/profile was created for Outlook to use? Did this work before? "Gil Moorman" <Gil Moorman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:821C5535-AAD2-4C13-9BD4-C9EE4BB2798A@microsoft.com... > I cannot open my folder for email files in Outlook. Get error message saying > "set of folders could not be opened. Server is not a...

Printing problem when selecting any paper type other than plain pa
I have MSPub 2002 with XP HE and use an HP Inkjet printer cp1700. When I make my brochures I usually put a border around the edge a fill with some color. If I print one page, I have no problem, but if I ask the software to print numerous copies (anything more than 1 such as 2,3,4,etc) when it prints the second, third, forth etc copy, I always get a series of 3 lines after the top border. If I click the printer icon numerous times I do not get this problem or if I print the document in "paper type" plain paper, I do not get the problem. Does anyone ever experience this problem...

templates in folder list in Outlook 2002
I was wondering if anybody has figured out a way to get templates to appear in the folder list using Outlook 2002. I have numeous templates that I use daily and having them in the folder list would be so much easier than the 'choosing form' dialog box each time. Thanks. ...

E-mail Problem
I have an e-mail server running Windows NT4 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 sp3. When a user of mines attempts to send to one agent out side of the company we receive the below error message. What could be going on. Thanks Reason: Fatal error sending message: No legal recipients Sending message to mdeaton@custard.com -----------------First 8192 bytes of------------------- ------- Unsent message enclosed after this line ------- Received: by exchange.sgic.com from localhost (mail daemon,slmail V5.1); Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:10:11 -0500 Received: from exchange.sgic.com [10.10.10.24] by exchange.sgic.co...

Vlookup problems
I have Vlookups set up for a particular Spreadsheet. Each month I just drop the new data into the first column. Even though the number is formatted just like the previous month (i.e general, text, whatever) my vlookup formula shows #N/A. If i double click in the data cell and hit enter, the vlookup formula works. can you tell me why, or if there is a better way than clicking and hitting enter? Thanks! do you have your automatic calculation turned on? Under tools<options<calculation. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip...

Deleting 1 folder across multiple Mailboxes
We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across multiple mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open each mailbox individually? We have 1200 mailboxes. Thank you Exmerge.exe will do this...it is available at download.microsoft.com. "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:886F1600-5F60-43F1-9F64-968C2F0FB115@microsoft.com... > We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across > multiple > mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open > each &...

Templates in excel start folder not working
I'm developing an excel app which stores it's code in a template. I would like to place this template somewhere that is visible to all users, which the excel documentation suggests is the "xlstart" folder. When I place my template in this folder it does appear in the list when I try to create a new document, but I can not actually create a document from it (clicking on the template name has no effect). Any ideas on what's going on? The same template works fine if I put it under my documents and settings template directory. I'm using Excel 2003 Pro SP1. - Rick Do ...

16-bit Migration
Hi, Im tasked with converting a 16-bit MFC app to 32-bit. Ive used the MFC migration kit as a starter, however this has proved to be pretty useless :-) Bearing in mind Ive not used MFC before in any shape or form, im struggling with a file called CChildDlg.cpp. The header appears to be a stock Microsoft header, but I cant decide if the CPP has been custom written. It loads a dialog resource, then parses it and creates the window and all the controls. But its parsing by ripping raw bytes out of the resource via an incremented BYTE* and not by using DLGITEMTEMPLATE* etc. Since it seems a comm...

Problem with datasheet & 64-bit installations
Once you have installed a 64-bit installation of Office, SharePoint datasheet views can't be used any longer. It's related to the ActiveX component only being compatible for 32-bit systems and not for 64-bit installations. Please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/9eb920ba-1a02-4f0c-ae08-6e808e0269c4/?prof=required for a complete thread, I wanted to share this here because you Office guys might have some more detail on this (we hope). Should be fixed on short notice if you ask me, it's blocking me from rolling out...

Problem with "Edit in Microsoft Office Project"
We have SharePoint 2007 implemented, and I am using MSO Project 2007. I have a document library in which I store a number of project documents, including the schedule. When I go to this document library and select "Edit in Microsoft Office Project", the file opens, but it always opens in Read Only mode. The only way I can open the file and have it editable is to check it out first, then select "Edit in Microsoft Office Project". And no, the document library is not configured to require check out. Any idea why this is? ...

Problem with List Control Box
I have a list control with 3 columns. For some reason when I try to insert an entry into the list control, sometimes, only the item's first value gets added, but the values for the 2nd and 3rd column are not there. If i continue to add the same entry consistently, eventually the entry will be added correctly with all three values. Why is that? For example: sometimes I will add (a,b,c) into my List control box, but only (a) gets shown. But if i keep inserting an item, eventually the entry (a,b,c) will be added... >I have a list control with 3 columns. For some reason when I try ...

Outlook 2003 rules problem on SBS 2003 server
About a month ago I lost the ability to create any new rules from client PCs running Outlook 2003, where a name from the global address list is being used. All the existing rules with GAL addresses work fine, and I am not getting any error messages, they simply do not work. All the computers are up to date, including the server. All the rules are of this variety: When message arrives from XYZ, file in folder ABC. Where the person who is XYZ is in the global address list. I am running the IMF filter. I did find the foillowing article which outlines my probem, however the solution does no...

Change OWA FBA's logon page
All, We are running Exchange 2003 with a Front-End/Back-End configuration. This works fine. SSL in configured. I want to change to FBA (Forms Based Authentication). However, we were informed to modify the default page so that users DO NOT see the "Client" and "Security" options, but pass 'Premium' and 'Public or shared computer' parameters. Does anyone know how to do this? Since I am not a programmer/developer step by step instruction would be helpful. I am sure multiple files require a change. Thank you. ...

Problem in Drawing Text with different Fonts & Charset
Dear all, I'm working in a program which will draw some string with both chinese and English character in the Window. I try to use CreateFont() to create a HFONT with Fonts "Arial" and CharSet "CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET" and then select the HFONT to the current DC. However the text drawing out isn't in Font "Arial" (It seems to be "Times New Roman" instead). After that, I try to use other available fonts on my platform, but the same outpur again. No matter what font I'm using, it give the same output!!! Does anyone know Why and how to fix it? ...

Import / DL problems
When I download my bank transactions, Money doesn't seem to grab it anymore. I used to see the pop up box that tells me I've received a file, and prompts me to place it in a certain acct. but now it just downloads it, and it doesn't import the transactions.(to any of my accounts). And it's not saving it anywhere on disk either, I did a search for any ofx file and returned nothing. What might it be? By the way, I've recently archived and removed all transactions from 2002 and 2003 from my working money file. Might this have caused some minor setting changes? Plz help?...

Excel formula problem SUMPRODUCT
Hi Guys, I have a problem with a formula adding up rows against 2 parameters. I am trying to add up rows on a report that 1) show that the actio against it is "open" and its target completion date is overdue. I have tried the following formula but it will not work. =SUMPRODUCT(--(H5:H47="OPEN")*(G5:G47="<TODAY())) This formula works if I substitute the date part with another tex parameter but will have nothing to do with dates even if I put in specific date that I know matches one from the column, I still get 0 Any ideas. Thanks in advance And -- Message ...

Problem importing data from text file
Hi, I have a comma delimited file that has twenty column names followed by six rows of data. I am trying to import this into Excel. When I do this, the data imports entirely into row one. It does import into difference cells but there is one row with 120 cells of data. I was expecting it two "Wrap" and start importing the data into cell A2. Can anyone help with this? How do I show the break between column headers and data? Thanks, Chuck ...

Refresh problem for the size grip with Windows XP style #2
Hi, I have a dialog application with a scrollbar size grip. On Windows XP with the visual style, there is a refresh problem for the size grip region when I move the application out of the screen; only if I go to the bottom of the screen. It's OK if I go out by the right side. Without the XP style, everything is OK. I have noticed the same behavior with Notepad. Do you know how could I solve this problem? Any ideas will be appreciated, Thanks It's a known problem in XP (non-client area is erased incorrectly between scrollbars). Will it ever get fixed? I would not bet on it. &qu...

TIME CRITICAL PROBLEM.
Hi Sorry about the length of this request but I feel it may be necessary to try to show what I would like to happen. I have a workbook with 6 worksheets. The sheets are called Nov 01, Feb 02, May 02, Aug 02, Nov 02 and Jan 03. Each sheet contains ID, name, address and loan details for individual clients. Some clients have loans on all month sheets and some may only have loans for a particular month sheet. What I need to happen is to conslidate all the loans onto one sheet but only show the clients name and address details once with all loans being in individual columns. Below are...

Pasting problems
I am using excel to link with another application (from which I am taking some data). The time to get this data can vary. If it finds the data in the time I have allowed for it, it will paste this perfectly into excel. If it does not find the data in time, I assume that it is trying to paste something which is not there. I get a runtime 1004 error Paste method of worksheet class failed. Is there anyway around this. Can I write a loop procedure to only try to paste once there is something in the clipboard. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Chip Pearson has some nice notes at:...

Moving public store to NAS
I want to move the public store of my Exchange 2003 server to a Network Attached Storage server. However when I attempt to do this I get a message that the storage must be directly attached. Is there a way to get around this and where can I get that information to do it? Hello, Exchange files/databases must be on disks directly attached or on disks considered as "local disks". =>So, you need a driver/software or Nas solution that emulates local disks. Bye. -- Thierry DEMAN-BARCELÒ MVP Exchange, SQL/Server MCSE2003+M,MCSE+I,MCDBA,MCSA2003+S http://webfamilial.dyndns.or...

Intermitent file problem?
Running Outlook 2003 and from time to time the frame with the Inbox list of emails and viewing pane will be blank with an error message stating the system is busy and that perhaps something else has it tied up. How can I debug and fix? ...

moving deleted items to a new folder disappear-why?
I want to move deleted items to a new "deleted item folder"i.e "deleted 021910. When I perform this step-many times the deleted items that I think move actually disappear. Where do they go? Why does this happen? At the same time a "new message" opens up looking for me to send an e-mail to some one and attached to this "new message" are multiple attachments. this is really stange. I need help. Craig "craigandmel" <craigandmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E2C3AAF-0433-41E2-A5D4-2803C3F44D86@mic...

Very frustrated with public folder permissions
I'm new to Exchange and have run in to a roadblock trying to set up public folders company. I quickly read through several different manuals on how to manage public folder permissions and the concept seemed simple enough. Yet when I try to implement access controls only the settings I place on the "Default" entry in the permissions dialogue box take effect. For example: I have a top level public folder called "Sales and Support" and want to add one database, "Customer Database." If I create the top level folder in Outlook or in ESM the resulting default c...