Public Folder/OWA problem

We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment.  I'm trying to setup a public folder
where end-user software can be posted.  This way, users can access our
front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and then
save the software to their local PC.  The problem is that i get a "403
Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA.  I checked
that users had all permissions to the folder..

I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us).  The only problem is that it
refers to something called "freedocs" causing the problem, and they include
a registry fix to allow freedocs to be downloaded from OWA public folders.

So my question is, will this reg fix also work for any kind of file posted
in a public folder (.doc, .exe, etc.)?  If not, how can i setup our public
folders in the way i described so that people can use it as a software
depot?

Thanks in advance.

0
jim3476 (230)

Yes, I believe that is the change you need to make.  A freedoc can be pretty
much any type of document.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment.  I'm trying to setup a public
> folder where end-user software can be posted.  This way, users can access
> our front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and
> then save the software to their local PC.  The problem is that i get a
> "403 Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA.  I
> checked that users had all permissions to the folder..
>
> I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us).  The only problem is that
> it refers to something called "freedocs" causing the problem, and they
> include a registry fix to allow freedocs to be downloaded from OWA public
> folders.
>
> So my question is, will this reg fix also work for any kind of file posted
> in a public folder (.doc, .exe, etc.)?  If not, how can i setup our public
> folders in the way i described so that people can use it as a software
> depot?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
neil.hobson (1158)

Exchange 2k Journaling Problem
The company I work for is going to be moving locations in the next couple of months and, due to the move and several other factors, our email server will be down for a couple of days. As a stop gap measure, we have contracted with a 3rd party, Front Bridge AMC, to handle the email for us during that time period. The Front Bridge AMC maintains 30 days worth of email for each user and allows web access to their email, similiar to OWA. Email that arrives from an external source (hotmail for example) destined for the company I work for is captured, as is internal email destined for outsi...

Problem with connecting automatically
I have a little problem with my Outlook. When I start the program it doesn't connect automatically anymore, I have to wait for about a minute. I've tried to change the setting in Tools>Option (General tab/Send recieve mail) but with no luck. ...

Active Directory problems/dcdiag
I have some problems when i do dcdiag. In the directory service I have a lot of Event IDs 1865, 1311, 1312. I tried a lot of articles on the MS Websites, but still can't figure out how to resolve the problem. We have two locations connected over the internet with two VPN servers. One of the sites has a slow 5MB DSL connection. Also notice the Time service error at the end. Any help is appreciated. Domain Controller Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Done gathering initial info. Doing initial required tests Testing server: Location1\MyServer1 Starting test: Connecti...

Duplicate folders #3
I seem to have duplicate folders in Outlook XP. SOme of the content is the same, but there are 2 seperate Inbox folders. How can this be or what have I done? ...

MSCRM 3.0 importing Chinese character problem
Hi, I use MSCRM 3.0, when importing, found the original Chinese character be changed to odd code, how can I solve this problem? ...

New to Access 2007
Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tables, forms, etc. But when I select a form, I can only open it; the option to Design the form is greyed out and the entire Forms tab in the Ribbon is greyed out too. Help! Thanks much, Glenn "Glenn H" <glenn@pivotal-z.com> wrote in message news:1187024333.492672.70330@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) > MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tabl...

Import Problems in Feb 2010
I am using Money 2006, I have 4 accounts that I import transactions to. Two regulary banking accounts work fine. Two credit accounts will no longer import transactions. Actually they import and the account shows there are items to review but the transactions are not visible in the account. I tried deleting the account and re-importing jan/feb but after importing jan, the feb items import ok and 19 items are listed for review but none of them are visible again. I tried deleting again and just imported Feb. A few items came in but not everything and then I could not import J...

Pivot table chart problem, How to show different subtotal levels
Hi, Using Excel 2003, I have a pivot table using external data via ODBC. I have a chart based on my pivot table. The table and chart are working correctly. The PTcontains two levels of sales subtotals 1st level is by county 2nd level is by state. My client is telling me that the data in the chart is too detailed. He wants to have the both levels of subtotals in the PT, but only the county subtotals in the chart. If I delete the county sales subtotals from the chart, they are also deleted from the PT. Is it possible for the chart to be based on the PT and not show ...

Changing password problem
my users are not able to change their outlook passwords from their computers. I am running Exchange 2000, the clients are running Outlook 2000 and XP, on Windows NT/2000/and XP. Any ideas Eric Are your clients use exchange version of outlook or POP version of outlook? "Eric Graham" <egraham22@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:#Nl0C$$nEHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > my users are not able to change their outlook passwords from their > computers. I am running Exchange 2000, the clients are running Outlook 2000 > and XP, on Windows NT/2000/and XP. Any ideas >...

Cell Formating Problems
This is what I do: I open up a brand new worksheet. I format cell A1 to text. Then I enter the number 1 into it. Then I format the cell to Numeric and the 1 in the cell does not change. it stays as (left justified 1. If I delete the 1 and type a 1 into that cell and hit Enter, it become 1.00 (a number). Whats happening here??? Why doesn't it convert the 1 to a 1.00 when format the cell to numeric? Why do I have to re-enter the number -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com brain It was originally entered as Text. Simply re-formatting doesn't change its underlying ...

How to search for a personal FOLDER?
I have so many personal folders, that I can't find 1. I searched for a message and found it; it tells me the folder name that it resides in, but I can't find that folder! I can get to the message, but I want to be able to see what else is in that folder, so that I can make sure items are better organized. Is there a way to search for a personal folder and get its path? I tried advanced find using the "all outlook items" criteria, which the field "In Folder," but this failed. Thanks in advance, -J ...

Reply Problem #2
Can anyone tell me why when you REPLY to any email message, a number "7319" or equivalent appears in the "To" field? This just started happening to some systems with fresh installs of Office 2003/Windows XP. Thank you in advace... ...

Outlook 2003 Time problems
Hello, There are various emails that I receive that aren't getting the time marked correctly in Outlook even though my system time clock is set correctly. I check the time of the emails and there 1 hour behind. Any solutions? Is daylight savings time configured correctly? Also verify that this is set correctly for both the sender and the mail server. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Jessem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Mailbox/Folder Sizes
Is it possible for me to see the size of each users Mailbox and Folders? Thanks, Jeff In news:fejk42tj37tcaq1s2j3k2qmn20m91nt7gd@4ax.com, Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed: > Is it possible for me to see the size of each users Mailbox and > Folders? > > Thanks, > Jeff In ESM, you can see the size of each mailbox, but it won't break it down into subfolders. you can see the sizes from "Mailboxes" in the ESM...you have to drill down from Administrative Groups, to Servers, to Storage Groups, to Mailbox Stores...but from there you cannot see ...

Can't delete "virus" program from Temp Folders
Hi! I have 3 remaining "virus" programs in temp folders: * c:\windows|temp * c:\Doc & Sett\name\local settings\Temp When delete or move to desktop, get error: "Cannnot move........being used by another program..." Tried Safe Mode, but "virus" programs not there...... Any way I can delete or move to trash? MUCH THANKS! Gene:) What program are you using to try to remove them? What anti-virus app is installed, and is that what you are using to remove them? Install update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see if it can remove them in...

Serious Word Problem
Today my WORD 2007 suddenly refuses to recognize and open either doc or docx formatted files. With doc files I get the error message converter cannot open the document and it talks about converter file mswrd632.wpc needing to be removed and reinstalled. As for docx it says word can't read the information in the file. I am suspicious because of the large number of recent microsoft updates. Can anyone help with this? Hi, Many users are encountering this problem. See the "Known Issues" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 . -- Hope this helps, Pes...

Problems in viewing Report
Hi we have installed the SQL and CRM in 2 different servers, running on win 2003. I face a problem when viewing reports as it keeps popping up dialog box for username and password which when not given gives a "page cannot be displayed" error. can anybody let me know why the logon request for report section is prompted. I tried to fiddle around with report section datasource, by selecting various options and it works only when a AD user is given in the credential section, since the user's password is prone for expiry, it will be risky to give that option. This is because i...

Very strange laptop battery problem?
my laptop is a HP CG60-243CL and its about 7 months old. Whenever i would put my battery charger into my laptop it says "plugged in, not charging" this is when it's on. Most particularly it has a blinking LED light on the charging icon (Lightning bolt icon). However, when i charge it when it's put on shutdown/sleep/hibernate the LED light (The lightning bolt icon) has a solid white light. So therefore it is charging. Does anyone know the reason why my laptop is acting this way? -- gamobigz -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Moving attachments automatically to a file folder
Hi, Is there an easy way to configure Outlook 2000 to move attachments from certain messages automatically to a file folder. I mean a normal file folder in Windows, outside Exchange/Outlook environment. I would like to create an archive for attachments, and this archive would have to be accessible by several users, at the same time - so a .pst file is not a good option. It seems that I cannot use a rule or auto archive function to perform this, as they do not allow me to specify a target folder outside the Exchange environment. I do not have permissions to change the configuration o...

Sharing Folder Outlook 2003
I can't seem to find any help on this subject. Used to be that you could add a folder from somewhere on the hard drive to the folder tree in Outlook. Can't do that anymore (with Outlook 2003). On my home PC Outlook 2003 is confiugred with 2 profiles. One for me, one for my wife. I would like to have certain emails sent to a common folder so when she opens up Outlook she can see them. Before I create a rule that autoforwards them to her account I was hoping to try just setting up a common folder. Your help is much appreciated. Matt Dear Matt, have a look on this site for...

Win2008 R2 Hyper V problem
Hi, I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running on it. The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when the VM is running. I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can cause the problem but it still blows up. Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I just wasting my time? Thanks Bob bob wrote: > Hi, > I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running > on it. > > The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when > the...

Exchange Server Problem (I need help)
Hello to you all! The medical clinic I work at has a network. We all have our own email address. Mine, for example is lpeacock@elcardiologist.com. The problem is this. I can send out email as much as I want and they go where I need them to go. However, when anyone attempts to send any of us email, to our work, we don't get them. Now we had experianced some MAJOR problems recently in the past to where the actual IT lady had to set everything back up because things just went down. So our email accounts worked without any problems. But now, we can't recieve anything from an...

problems with tabs
after installing service pack one for Office XP I lost all my tabs in a previous publication. I put them back in and the next time I opened it, they were missing again. The tabs stops are there, just not the tabs only a few spaces. Appears to be a problem with no resolve. -- Hi Wilma (wfreshwater@jam.rr.com) in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || after installing service pack one for Office XP || I lost all my tabs in a previous publication. I put them || back in and the next time I opened it, they were missing || again. The tabs stops are there, just not the tabs only a || few ...

Lookup Problem #2
Hello, I use this formula to sum numbers. I am trying to use the same formul to return text. What do I have to replace sum with? {=SUM(IF(A2>=Sheet2!$E$1:$E$51,IF(Sheet1!A2<=Sheet2!$F$1:$F$51,Sheet2!$G$1:$G$51,0)))} Thanks Gre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi thre's no such build-in function. How do you want to 'Sum' text values?. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Gbonda >" <<Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hello, > > I use this form...

Search/Lookup Problem
Hi, I have a large list of invoice numbers, for which there can be more than 1 set of data, and I have no other value that could be used as a lookup value etc. Given something like: Col A Col B Row 1 123354 20 Row 2 114868 1235 Row 3 123354 400 Row 4 123354 546 Row 5 194583 2 How could I get separate sheet to lookup the invoice numbers in Col A, then return the respective Col B value, without returning the same number twice, eg 123354 20 123354 400 123354 546 114868 1235 194583 2 Any help would be greatfully received. Cheers Simon "Si...