Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)

I sure hope some one can help with this..

Part one of my issue

I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our Ex2k native eniviroment.  The Public folder hierarchy would not replicate properly until I sent the hierarchy manually through the ESM.  Then, I tried to replicate a folder from the old Ex2k server.  The folder showed up immediately on the 2k3 server in 'Public Folder Instances' but with 0 items and 0kb.  No data would ever replicate; although new items being posted would go there fine.  I built a test lab to try and replicate this behavior.  I found that replication works fine until you apply the KB817809 IPM.Note Hotfix, which I had done in the production evnviroment prior to attempting to replicate anything.  So my theory is that the 817809 patch breaks replication

Part two

I deleted the public folder store on the new 2k3 server thinking I could just recreate it.  I now know that was a bad thing becuase now because creating a new public folder store has created more replication issues than I had originally.  I have not been able to find out how to recreate the native public folder store that get created during installation.  When I try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the 'Public Folders' tree and mount it, I get this

EventID: 307
Source: MSExchangeIS Public Stor
Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage Group\test"

EcGetReplMs
EcGetReplMs
EcSee
REPL::EcSaveChange
REPL::EcReplStateAd
EcUpdateReplStat
EcReplStartu
FReplAgen

So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dan Smit

0
anonymous (74722)

Get the Exchange 2003 post-RTM Store Rollup and apply it. There indeed was
an issue with the IPM.Note hotfix that under certain sets of circumstances
could cause problems with PF Replication.

838236 How to obtain the Exchange Server 2003 post-RTM Store rollup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=838236

Then the new Public Store you created should also be able to work. If it
doesn't, I recommend deleting it and creating a new one again.

Also, if you applied the Exchange 2000 version of the IPM.Note fix to your
2000 server, please apply the April 2004 post-SP3 Rollup:

836488 April 2004 Exchange 2000 Server post-Service Pack 3 update rollup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=836488

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFNtaXRo?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
>Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:41:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>I sure hope some one can help with this...

Part one of my issue:

I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our Ex2k native eniviroment.
 The Public folder hierarchy would not replicate properly until I sent the
hierarchy manually through the ESM.  Then, I tried to replicate a folder
from the old Ex2k server.  The folder showed up immediately on the 2k3
server in 'Public Folder Instances' but with 0 items and 0kb.  No data
would ever replicate; although new items being posted would go there fine.
I built a test lab to try and replicate this behavior.  I found that
replication works fine until you apply the KB817809 IPM.Note Hotfix, which
I had done in the production evnviroment prior to attempting to replicate
anything.  So my theory is that the 817809 patch breaks replication.

Part two:

I deleted the public folder store on the new 2k3 server thinking I could
just recreate it.  I now know that was a bad thing becuase now because
creating a new public folder store has created more replication issues than
I had originally.  I have not been able to find out how to recreate the
native public folder store that get created during installation.  When I
try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the 'Public
Folders' tree and mount it, I get this:

EventID: 3079
Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage
Group\test".

EcGetReplMsg
EcGetReplMsg
EcSeek
REPL::EcSaveChanges
REPL::EcReplStateAdd
EcUpdateReplState
EcReplStartup
FReplAgent

So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to
even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dan Smith

0
rroddy (682)
5/4/2004 12:39:38 PM
Hmmm .. we didn't apply this particular patch on our Exchange 2000
public folder server, but we are running a version of the store that
is close to that version.

We are also experiencing problems replicating to a newly introduced
Exchange 2003 public folder server. Are you recommending we install
the April rollup for Exchange 2003? Does it fix some publc folder
issues?

rroddy@online.microsoft.com (Richard Roddy [MSFT]) wrote:

> [...]
>I had originally.  I have not been able to find out how to recreate the
>native public folder store that get created during installation.  When I
>try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the 'Public
>Folders' tree and mount it, I get this:
>
>EventID: 3079
>Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
>Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage
>Group\test".
>
>EcGetReplMsg
>EcGetReplMsg
>EcSeek
>REPL::EcSaveChanges
>REPL::EcReplStateAdd
>EcUpdateReplState
>EcReplStartup
>FReplAgent
>
>So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to
>even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues.

0
anon
5/4/2004 11:12:02 PM
No, for 2003, I'm recommending you install the post-RTM Store rollup -
article 838236.

For 2000, I'm recommending the April 2004 rollup.

Was your Public Store on 2000 ever taken off another server and put on that
2000 server? This is what we call a victim restore and can create all sorts
of problems with replication to new servers...

> [...]

>>native public folder store that get created during installation.  When I
>>try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the
'Public
>>Folders' tree and mount it, I get this:
>>
>>EventID: 3079
>>Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
>>Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage
>>Group\test".
>>
>>EcGetReplMsg
>>EcGetReplMsg
>>EcSeek
>>REPL::EcSaveChanges
>>REPL::EcReplStateAdd
>>EcUpdateReplState
>>EcReplStartup
>>FReplAgent
>>
>>So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to
>>even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues.

0
rroddy (682)
5/5/2004 10:33:51 AM
Well, yes .. I meant the Exchange 2003 April, 2004 roll-up for the
Exchange 2003 public folder server that is having the public folder
replication issues. We've scheduled an outage to install that tomorrow
morning. It was already running on another Exchange 2003 public folder
server, but it doesn't have any replicas yet so I can't say whether it
was having a problem the same day or not.

The Exchange 2000 public folder server is running a post-SP3
6.0.6418.0 store.exe. Since we are phasing this server out (in the
process of replicating all folders to the two Exchange 2003 pf
servers), our preference is to leave it be since it has been
relatively well behaved lately. Do you recommend installing the latest
Exchange 2000 roll-up still? That is, does it fix known replication
issues going to E2k3 servers? This server has been replicating with
its E2K peers in other admin groups fairly well.

No, we've not had to do a victim restore on this server. That's not to
say our PF structure isn't a bit funky. First off, we've got about
35,000 public folders and 80 gig of content. Much of this was migrated
from many years of 5.5 operation, but that was complete about 18
months ago. Then there was the little incident about a year ago where
PSS advised one of our colleagues in another admin group to delete the
entire hierarchy and recover it from backups. Other than that, it's
your plain vanilla virgin public folder hierarchy. :-)

> [...]

>>>native public folder store that get created during installation.  When I
>>>try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the
>'Public
>>>Folders' tree and mount it, I get this:
>>>
>>>EventID: 3079
>>>Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
>>>Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage
>>>Group\test".
>>>
>>>EcGetReplMsg
>>>EcGetReplMsg
>>>EcSeek
>>>REPL::EcSaveChanges
>>>REPL::EcReplStateAdd
>>>EcUpdateReplState
>>>EcReplStartup
>>>FReplAgent
>>>
>>>So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to
>>>even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues.

0
anon
5/6/2004 6:23:29 PM
If installing just the 2003 rollup doesn't help, I would suggest 2 things:

1) On the 2003 server, try changing the following registry value to 1 and
then dismount/mount the public store on that server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsExchangeIS\<ServerNam
e>\Public-<GUID>\Replication Flags

This should force status request messages to be sent out from the 2003
server to all other servers and the exchange of status messages should
trigger the Exchange Public Folder backfill process to start occurring.
After anywhere from 6-24 hours, there should be a noticeable difference in
what has replicated.

2) Install the April 2004 post-SP3 rollup on Exchange 2000. You can save
this until you've tried #1 and given it some time to chew on replication.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: anon@y.mous
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
>Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:23:29 GMT
>
>Well, yes .. I meant the Exchange 2003 April, 2004 roll-up for the
>Exchange 2003 public folder server that is having the public folder
>replication issues. We've scheduled an outage to install that tomorrow
>morning. It was already running on another Exchange 2003 public folder
>server, but it doesn't have any replicas yet so I can't say whether it
>was having a problem the same day or not.
>
>The Exchange 2000 public folder server is running a post-SP3
>6.0.6418.0 store.exe. Since we are phasing this server out (in the
>process of replicating all folders to the two Exchange 2003 pf
>servers), our preference is to leave it be since it has been
>relatively well behaved lately. Do you recommend installing the latest
>Exchange 2000 roll-up still? That is, does it fix known replication
>issues going to E2k3 servers? This server has been replicating with
>its E2K peers in other admin groups fairly well.
>
>No, we've not had to do a victim restore on this server. That's not to
>say our PF structure isn't a bit funky. First off, we've got about
>35,000 public folders and 80 gig of content. Much of this was migrated
>from many years of 5.5 operation, but that was complete about 18
>months ago. Then there was the little incident about a year ago where
>PSS advised one of our colleagues in another admin group to delete the
>entire hierarchy and recover it from backups. Other than that, it's
>your plain vanilla virgin public folder hierarchy. :-)
>
>rroddy@online.microsoft.com (Richard Roddy [MSFT]) wrote:
>
>>No, for 2003, I'm recommending you install the post-RTM Store rollup -
>>article 838236.
>>
>>For 2000, I'm recommending the April 2004 rollup.
>>
>>Was your Public Store on 2000 ever taken off another server and put on
that
>>2000 server? This is what we call a victim restore and can create all
sorts
>>of problems with replication to new servers...
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Richard Roddy
>>Microsoft Exchange Support
>>
>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

>>--------------------
>>>From: anon@y.mous
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>>>Subject: Re: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
>>>Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:12:02 GMT
.s
>>ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!c03.atl99!
c0
>>1.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!elnk-atl-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.n
et
>>!cyclone.tampabay.rr.com!news-post.tampabay.rr.com!twister.southeast.rr.co
m.
>>POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
>>>
>>>Hmmm .. we didn't apply this particular patch on our Exchange 2000
>>>public folder server, but we are running a version of the store that
>>>is close to that version.
>>>
>>>We are also experiencing problems replicating to a newly introduced
>>>Exchange 2003 public folder server. Are you recommending we install
>>>the April rollup for Exchange 2003? Does it fix some publc folder
>>>issues?

>>was
>>circumstances

>>your

>>rights.

>>eniviroment.
>>the
>>fine.
>>which

>>than
>>'Public

Storage

0
rroddy (682)

Exchange 2003 Queue problem
My internal mail MS 2003 server - users being authenticated by the DC/DNS - has on occasion stopped sending messages? What I have done, a couple of times now, is re-start the Exchange Server (I have stopped and re-started services with on luck!). After re-starting all works just fine! Is anyone else running into this problem and might you know what is causing it? Thanks ahead. What does the SMTP protocol log say? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in messag...

How to find outside hostname of internal exchange server
I am trying to setup activesync but can't seem to get the right server name. Is there somewhere on the exchange box where I can find this info or do I need to get onto the router/firewall and see where mail is being sent? I am getting error 0x80072EE7 when trying to sync from the device. In news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0702261401320.14766@rob-campbell.com, Rob Campbell <poohba@rob-campbell.com> typed: > I am trying to setup activesync but can't seem to get the right server > name. It's whatever public A record exists for your domain, that points at the appropriate public I...

CRM 3.0 Email Router for Exchange 2007
I know that there's an updated email router (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f7656f0f-4195-4a7d-b654-2786787e1422&displaylang=en) that provides support for Exchange 2007. But that router only supports running on an Exchange 2003 or 2000 server. Is there any update on when an email router might be released that supports a 2007 only environment? We have migrated off of 03, and would like to not have to keep that server around solely for this functionality. Thanks in advance. Rich Williams Amos Data Systems ...

Exchange Calendar integration with WSS, 2 new ideas, need feedback
I have posted in the past for help with resolving the following scenario: Windows 2003 WSS WIndows 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 Windows XP SP2 clients Office 2003 sp1 http://intranet is the top level site, with each department having their own subsite http://intranet/<dept>. Each department site has an events calendar. Each department has a designated user responsible for the calendar. Using Side-by-side calendaring a user CAN drag from the Sharepoint calendar onto their personal calendar. HOWEVER, users CAN NOT create an event in Outlook and Drag to the sharepoint calendar. Because this...

Importing Outlook 2003 to Win 98 Outlook

It only refreshes the inbox/outbox when I click on any folder
Outlook has an annoying problem...it only refreshes the inbox/outbox when the user clicks on the view or any other folder in Outlook. It does send/receive messages as usual...but the Inbox won't list any new messages and the Outbox shows it is still waiting to send out the message until I click on the Inbox/Outbox view or any other folders. Have you ever seen something like this before? Outlook 2000 sp3 (9.0.06627) What OS? If XP, do you have your firewall enabled? If another OS version, do you have a firewall installed? Is there a router/switch with VLANs between you and the s...

Long Reconnect Times w/Multi-Users?
This is a variation on my prior attempt at a thread "App Runs Slower w/2 Users Than w/1?". Front end on C:, back end on a LAN file server. Code to reconnect tables runs in about 2.5 seconds when I'm the only one logged in to the front end. But when one other person has their copy of the front end up and running, that same re-connect process takes 207 seconds. It's not a religious issue bc the only time that process runs is when I prep the front end for distribution before elevating a new version. OTOH, if the reconnects are that slow... I wonder if the rest of the app is...

How long are online quotes in 2005?
My 2003 quotes no longer work automatically, because I have had it for 2 years. How long will Microsoft provide automatic online stock quotes in the different versions of 2005? I cannot find that information on their money site. Greg In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >My 2003 quotes no longer work automatically, because I >have had it for 2 years. How long will Microsoft provide >automatic online stock quotes in the different versions of >2005? I cannot find that information on their money site. See http://money.msn.com/Money/2005/IBSP.asp 2003 quotes are su...

Error in Exchange 5.5 Public Folder access via Outlook 2000
Hi We're running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4, with the May 2004 rollup (841765 - Store.exe and Mdbmsg.dll = 5.5.2658.4) Outlook 2003 clients can access a shared Public Folders contacts list fine through the Address Book application, but Outlook 2000 users can't. Both groups can see and manipulate the actual folder OK, it's just the Address Book that's not working (either through the Address Book icon, or through creating a new mail and clicking on the "To" button and selecting the folder from there). Outlook 2000 users see a blank list, with the slider on the right siz...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 Migration Question #3
Hello, We are currently migrating users to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. The 5.5 server is located here and the new 2003 server is located in a different office. One user (who we have moved already) is trying to access and user's calendar, but that user is still on 5.5. They are getting the following error: unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened Any ideas on how to make the user on 2003 (running Outlook 2003) connect to the user's calendar on the 5.5 server? The user has the "Owner" permission on the 5.5 calendar. Thanks! ...

how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?"
how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347861033.aspx "outlook" <outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4031ECB1-2DDF-438C-A8AA-A4065F830BE0@microsoft.com... > how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" ...

Report Designer on Visual Studio 2005: Is it possible without 2003?
Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2003 to design new reports on CRM? I can't publish them on CRM when I have only the Visual Studio 2005 installed on my machine. When I install the SRS Designer, the Wizard tells me that I do not have the Visual Studio 2003. Thanks in advance! You need VS to create report rdl file. Visual Studio 2005 should work. To publish report you can log into CRM to upload your report file. "Juliano" <tom@jager.com> wrote in message news:B5808A28-946C-4F78-92DF-1C965F74448A@microsoft.com... > Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2...

Select Multiple Folders
I have an Excel application, where the user can browse to a folder and process all the documents in that folder. I use the Office 10 FileDialog object (FolderPicker) to allow the user to do this with an easily recognizable dialog box. The problem is, the users would like to select multiple folders at a time (which FolderPicker does not allow). I could allow them Browse and select a folder, add it to a list, then Browse again and add to the list, then Browse again, but that would be a long tedious process. Is there anything that would allow me to select multiple folders at a time, similar to...

Outlook 2003 cuts off lines

Microsoft Money 2003
When I try to print a chart or report, I get the message "This program has caused a default, etc." and it shuts down. Can you give me some hints on how to correct this? Thanks Is this all reports or a particular one? If it's only one, try resetting the report. If that doesn't help, try it in a new file. If it does it in multiple files, you may need to try updating your printer driver or removing and reinstalling Money. "Mary J" <mjohns04@mail.win.org> wrote in message news:035001c377cc$e2e77840$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to print a chart or re...

moving exchange 5.5 server to a different domain
I have an exchange 5.5 site with 3 servers in it. They are NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 They are all in domain a. There is a two way trust with domain a and domain b. I need to move one of the servers from domain a to domain b. Since I have permissions via the trust to the exchange services site acct. , is this as easy as removing the server from domain a and adding it to domain b, then bringing exchange services back up? Or is there a set procedure that should be followed? "=?Utf-8?B?Y2dsYWR5MjAwMA==?=" <cglady2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1A7E7702-914A-...

"Object not found" error and Archive Folders
I am battling hard to find who on this planet knows this one I have a rogue 'Archive Folder' living next to my Personal Folders tha I am unable to remove - when I select 'Close "Archive Folders"' th following error dialog is displayed "The operation failed. An object could not be found I've got Outlook 2003 (Office Pro Edition) running on XP Pro - with al and latest updates. I've verified I can add and remove other datafile with no issue - this is also my default archive folder. To explain further, the archive folder in question is the same one a spe...

My Exchange tabs are missing on my =?windows-1252?Q?DC=92s=2E?=
I have a new setup with 3 servers. Two domain controllers (windows 2003 std R2) One Exchange Std 2003 (not a DC only a member server.) If I create a new user on the exchange server, the wizard ends up creating an email address. If I do that on one of the DCs it just creates a user with no email. I have exchange tabs on the exchange server but not on the DCs. Everything during exchange install went well, but have I done anything wrong? There was a warning once telling me that this version on exchange could have problems with the windows version I am using. Is there a problem with Windows ...

Public Folders #2
I have added the outlook registry entry that lets me view certain types of documents within emails, i.e .exe, .bat, .chm and so on..... But, when I try to open them from within public folders, it only lets me save them to disk. This is not what I want as I have docs in there that get updated every day and I would like to open them from within the mail so it saves the changes directly to it, rather than saving it to disk, editing, saving again and then adding back into the posted item. So to sum up.... How can I stop it so that it doesnt only give me the option to save the attachment to disk?...

Synchronise Outlook 2003

Address Book in Outlook 2003
Help!!! I usualy group my contacts in groups of contacts. Today I setup a brand new computer and a fresh install of Outlook 2003. Everything went well except the in the contacts department in Outlook 2003. So here's what happened. I copied some contacts folders from my old personnal PST file and they did not appeared in the contact list available when you prepare an e-mail (you know when you press the To button) so I deleted them. Af ter that I toured the internet and I saw that the control mecahnisism is in right cliking each contact folders and selecting the box with "show a...

Copy Public Folders
I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 server using Outlook 2000. It starts copying and stops, saying an unknown error has occurred. I am using the administrator mailbox which is the Service Administrator in Exchange. I can view, open, and make changes to the items in the Public Folders. Any ideas? "David Hurst" <11dhurst@123vecelliogroup.com> wrote in news:ur2q9bY8DHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl: > I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 > server using Outlook 2000. > It starts copying and stops, saying an...