Public Folder Distribution Lists

I'm trying to setup a distribution list that basically acts as a mailing
list to several people. I created a public folder with the contact info of
the people on the list that I want to mail to (including the email address)
and then tied that to a DL that I created in ADUC. I made sure that the DL
was mail enabled and I tied the public folder to the members portion.
However when I go to send an email to that DL, it shows up as a post of
sorts in the contact list in the public folder as opposed to actually
sending that message to the email addresses listed. Where am I going wrong?

As a side note, the mailing list of email addresses needs to be a public
folder (or something comparible) because several different people are
contributing to this mailing list within my organization. Any help is
appreciated.

Ryan

0
ftwryan (1)

You need to create the contacts in the folder as contacts in Active
Directory or Exchange 5.5 for this to work - then add the contacts to the
DL. Adding the public folder to the DL will get the result you have where
the email is posted in the folder - it is not designed to email everyone in
the folder.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve in the side note. An emailed
enabled public folder can be configured to auto forward to a distribution
list so that when someone contributes to the folder the DL also receive a
copy.

Glen

"Ryan" <ftwryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup a distribution list that basically acts as a mailing
> list to several people. I created a public folder with the contact info of
> the people on the list that I want to mail to (including the email
address)
> and then tied that to a DL that I created in ADUC. I made sure that the DL
> was mail enabled and I tied the public folder to the members portion.
> However when I go to send an email to that DL, it shows up as a post of
> sorts in the contact list in the public folder as opposed to actually
> sending that message to the email addresses listed. Where am I going
wrong?

> As a side note, the mailing list of email addresses needs to be a public
> folder (or something comparible) because several different people are
> contributing to this mailing list within my organization. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Ryan

0
glen6925 (138)
10/12/2004 3:56:52 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273408

for some background

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Ryan" <ftwryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup a distribution list that basically acts as a mailing
> list to several people. I created a public folder with the contact info of
> the people on the list that I want to mail to (including the email
> address)
> and then tied that to a DL that I created in ADUC. I made sure that the DL
> was mail enabled and I tied the public folder to the members portion.
> However when I go to send an email to that DL, it shows up as a post of
> sorts in the contact list in the public folder as opposed to actually
> sending that message to the email addresses listed. Where am I going
> wrong?
>
> As a side note, the mailing list of email addresses needs to be a public
> folder (or something comparible) because several different people are
> contributing to this mailing list within my organization. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Ryan

0
nospam6185 (535)
10/12/2004 4:04:16 AM
This was posted to the wrong thread sorry about that.  Please disregard.

--

"Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273408
>
> for some background
>
> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> http://exchange.mvps.org
>

> "Ryan" <ftwryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to setup a distribution list that basically acts as a mailing
>> list to several people. I created a public folder with the contact info
>> of
>> the people on the list that I want to mail to (including the email
>> address)
>> and then tied that to a DL that I created in ADUC. I made sure that the
>> DL
>> was mail enabled and I tied the public folder to the members portion.
>> However when I go to send an email to that DL, it shows up as a post of
>> sorts in the contact list in the public folder as opposed to actually
>> sending that message to the email addresses listed. Where am I going
>> wrong?
>>
>> As a side note, the mailing list of email addresses needs to be a public
>> folder (or something comparible) because several different people are
>> contributing to this mailing list within my organization. Any help is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Ryan

0
nospam6185 (535)
10/12/2004 4:10:50 AM
Workaround:  Create a master list which contains child lists, each owned by
one of the contributors.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio
MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
http://exchange.mvps.org

"Ryan" <ftwryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup a distribution list that basically acts as a mailing
> list to several people. I created a public folder with the contact info of
> the people on the list that I want to mail to (including the email
> address)
> and then tied that to a DL that I created in ADUC. I made sure that the DL
> was mail enabled and I tied the public folder to the members portion.
> However when I go to send an email to that DL, it shows up as a post of
> sorts in the contact list in the public folder as opposed to actually
> sending that message to the email addresses listed. Where am I going
> wrong?
>
> As a side note, the mailing list of email addresses needs to be a public
> folder (or something comparible) because several different people are
> contributing to this mailing list within my organization. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Ryan

0
nospam6185 (535)

Macros actioned by drop down list
I have a drop down list in cell C1 list being validated from a list o 53 cells: A1:A53 (cell A1 being "week1" , cell A2 being "Week 2" etc) I will record 53 macros (Macro "week1", etc). 1- Is it possible to assing the macro "Week 1" to cell A1 ? (It is not a basic shape. Just a value in the cell.) 2- After assigning each macro to each cell, is it possible to start th macros in Cell C1 by choosing from drop down list.? ( Example. in cell C1 I select "week25" and by doing this macr "week25"starts running -- Message posted from ...

mailbox.pst is not a personal folders file
Hello, One of my users receives the following message when he tries to open up his Microsoft Outlook 2000: The action could not be completed. The file ...\mailbox.pst is not a personal folders file. It was working earlier in the day how could mailbox.pst not be a personal folders file anymore? What can I do to make it a personal folders file again? Thanks. Make sure the path is correct. If outlook is trying to load from a path to the user's profile, and that profile has changed, been moved, copied, etc. the path will be wrong. So, Double-check that full path, and search the...

Requery a Combo Box List
I have a combo box in a Tabular Form which has a drop down box select, but if I put the word Green in the list , the option to select it in the next box doesn't show untill I close the form and open it again is there a way to update it straight away........Thanx ....Bob Use code like the following in the AfterUpdate event of the combo: Private Sub MyCombo_AfterUpdate() Me.NameOfComboToRequery.Requery End Sub -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evmhs8$d3q...

password protect outlook personal folder
I have protected my Outlook 2002 personal folder at work according to the instructions from MS Office Online Assistance (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011138511033.aspx) and it worked fine. I have tried the same procedure at home, but I still gain access to the folder without any password after restarting outlook. The "checked password" option is off course cleared. Any ideas? Thanks B�rd B�rd <bspost@online.no> wrote: > I have protected my Outlook 2002 personal folder at work according to > the instructions from MS Office Online Assista...

How do I change the action of button in Access 2007 contact list?
I need to change the email address manually when I click the "send email" button to create new email directly from Contact List of Access 2007 as the default email address is including the receiver name (name + emal address was recognized as wrong email address by Windows Live Mail). How to change the default setting of Access 2007? -- THANKS & BEST REGARDS, Nguyen Tung Director of Sales and Marketing --------------------------------------- THIENTHAONGUYEN TRANSPORTATION CO., No181 Dai Tu Str,Hoang Mai Dist,Hanoi,Vietnam Tel :(84.4) 36410 577 - 107 /...

Links do not work in junk mail folder
Dear readers: I've noticed that the hyperlinks do not work on the messages sent to my junk folder and also, the images are not available. If I un junk a message or drag it to my inbox, both of the former behavior is reversed. Why does this happen and how can I undo this. That's by design, as a security feture.=20 You've already found the solution -- moving the item to another folder.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 ...

Finding the folder?
I used to use windowns 98se and was able to find the folder which contained the things for the outbox, sent items and such. I used to just delete those and it would erase all the stuff in the folders. I'm using windows xp and can't seem to figure out how to do it. Anyone know what folder they are in? Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when searching for pst-file. By default it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ You can also locate the file by using Rightclick the root folder (probably Ou...

How do I enter lists into names?
Hello everybody Currently I am using a named range as a list for the data validation function. To make my sheet more idiot-proof, I'd like to enter the items from the named range directly into the name definition (via Insert-Name-Define or VBA). Is this possible? What syntax do I need to use? Greetings from Switzerland Urs 1st - Insert a tab and label it "Departments", that you can hid later put the data that you want in a column, like this: A1= Creative A2= Marketing A3= HR Just keep going down Columns "A" until you hav...

excel 97 vba
cell C19 = product code drop down list cells N1:O449 = description of prod associated w/ dropdown list cell E19 = product description column cell I19 = price column cell P1:Q449 = list associated with product code drop down list Right now there is this code in cell E19: IF(C19<>""(C19,$N$1:$O$449,2,0),"") This code allows me to pick a code # from the drop down list in C1 (which is referenced to column N and O) and once selected, th corresponding product will appear in the product description cel (E19). I now am trying to set up a code in cell I19 so that once th...

I cannot install the CRM 3.0 List Web Part 1.0
My problem is; I cannot install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 List Web Part "crmlistwebpart.exe" in my Windows Share Point Services SP2 on SERVER1. The error message is: Installation of the List Web Part for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 requires that Windows SharePoint Services v2 or SharePoint Portal Server 2003 be installed. Verify that one of the SharePoint technologies is installed on the server and retry setup.... and the install proces stop... My enviroment is: SERVER1 IS: Windows Server 2003 R2 Full update Windows SharePoint Services v2 (SP2) - Microsoft Office Web C...

favorite folders disappear...
When I create favorite folders, they stay for the session but disappear when I exit outlook. I have to re-enter them again Thank Yo Peter W. ...

Is there a tool for Exchange 2003 or 2007 to create Public Folder
Is there a tool for Exchange 2003 or 2007 to create Public folders as well as data within those folders for test purposes? thanks in advance On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:09:20 -0800, RP <RP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a tool for Exchange 2003 or 2007 to create Public folders as well as >data within those folders for test purposes? > >thanks in advance OUtlook is a good one. Its actually for performance purposes. I'm looking for a tool to create a large amount of test data. Is there a programatic way to do this through Outlook? "Andy David {MVP}&qu...

How do I create an email using a category list?
I just want to email a category of people vs. setting up a distribution list. Can I do that? Help with Outlook <Help with Outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just want to email a category of people vs. setting up a > distribution list. Can I do that? Display your Contacts in the By Category view, select the category, then click Actions>New Message to Contact. -- Brian Tillman Add categories to their contact record in the contacts folder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Vis...

Previously permitted folders will not delete
Using Outlook 2000, I have found that when User A has been given permission to access User B's folder(s), then User B removes the permissions for User A to access the folder(s) any longer, User A's Outlook setup will still show User B's folder(s) in their list of accessible folders when in option File => Open => "folder". Is there a way to delete the no longer accessible folder from the list? Thx. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292024&Product=out -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professiona...

Change default view of OWA folders
Is there a way to change the default view of OWA folders? I want to use 'messages'as default view. Is there a way to change the view of multiple public folders in one go? PremP ...

Linking Price Lists to Products
I am having a problem linking products to a price list. I need to be able to import price lists from time to time, but it seems that I need to attach each product to a price list manually, one at a time. Is there a better way to do this? ...

eXceL 2003
I'm trying to incorporate either a list box or a combo box into a spreadsheet. (My source is How to Programmatically Insert Data from a List Box into the Active Cell at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3BQ213363 ) One of the instructions is to right click on the list box and go to the Format Control menu. The problem I have at this point is that there is no "Control" tab in the dialog box. Is that because the instructions are for Excel 2000 and I'm working in Excel 2003 where the control is no longer handled the same way? Are you using the lis...

how to copy data in folder to ThumbDriv and use in other computer
I've tried to copy data in outlook folders (from office computer unit) to thumbdrive in order to re-paste to another computer (at home) and can read the data again? Please kindly advice/ suggest Answered daily. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ V...

HTML e-mail to a list of addresses
When I prepare an e-mail in HTML and attempt to send it to a list of addresses, I have to approve each one, but when I check Outlook outbox, it says "HTML", but the content is blank. If I send a an e-mail to a single address, it is in sent HTML format and is sent properly. Why can't I send an HTML e-mail to a list? what version of outlook and what are the exact steps you are doing to compose and address the mail? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: ht...

Excel List Box
Hello, I am would like to make a drop down list to selects different option of tested that we normally use in excel, however in order for the text to look right it must merge with several cells. I tried the data validation however it does not allow merged cells. How can I accomplish this? Thank you I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Perhaps you could use data validation in one cell, then VLOOKUP formulas to return the matching values in the adjacent cells. Armando wrote: > I am would like to make a drop down list to selects different option of > tested that we norm...

Can on filter the task list on Outlook's Today screen?
I am using the Today view mainly in the office to get an overview what's up today (I guess that coincides with its intended purpose...) and so I would like to filter out private stuff and misc. other categories from the Tasks list in that view. Can one achieve that somehow? I only detected the possibility to filter for tasks due on that date, but no more. It would be great if that Tasks list offered the same filtering options as the Tasks view itself. Michael Nope. You can do a lot more tailoring of the Calendar/TaskPad in 1 day view. Right click the top of the TaskPad and you c...

Cycle through a list in VBA
Hey, I need to just do a For...Next loop to cycle through a predefined list (or range really). Sort of.. For every cell in this list Check the text in list against a variable perform action Next in list that sort of thing. I just don't konw what to call the list, cell, anything.. Thanks in advance. azidrane Something like Sub Iterate() Dim myCell as Range For Each myCell in Range("A1:A100") 'do stuff here Next MyCell End Sub You can use Selection instead of the range dsignation whih will iterate the cells under the selection -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft ...

Public Folder Permission
I want to give an user owner access to the already available public folder. I have access to exchange system manager. Can I just add his name in the "Client Permssions" and choose the Owner role? Can someone confirm this pls? Thanks. Yes, that's ok. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Swa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d4bc01c453bf$94199520$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I want to give an user owner access to the already > available public folder. I have access t...

viewing public "Folder 1-1"
Okay- I want to find out how to view the "folder 1-1" that contains the Public folder Hierarchy in PF store with any tools -So far i tried with MFCMAPI and MDBview32 - it does not show the folder -If you know please let me know --- thanks Jaxy ...

Normal distribution
Hi. I have tried different tools and addons for excel but I am having trouble creating a normal distribution without a negative x-axiz. Example: I want to present a normal distribution for a quiz for students, testing how long they need to solve a mathematical problem. The time varies from 0 to 300 seconds, and most students answer within 10 seconds, some even at once (like you would have done when the question is 2+2?). When I make this with PHStat, XLStat, PlotManager or by using Excel's tools, I always end up with an x-axis that goes from -something to +something. What I need is the n...