Propagating permissions through Public Folders

I am trying to propagate a DL group to have change
permission from a folder high in the hierarchy through to
lower folders in the tree.

I want to propagate this DL through, without removing DLs
and permissions in the lower folders in the hierarchy.

eg.

                  Folder Level 1
                  Permissions A,B

Folder Level 2a                      Folder Level2b
Permissions A,C,D                    Permissions A,E,F

If I wanted to give new user/DL "G" permission to entire
public folder structure, can I add "G" to Folder level 1
and propagate to the folders at level 2 without removing
permission for users/DL "C", "D", "E" and "F".
0
anonymous (74722)

Sounds like a job for PFDAVAdmin. You can find it at
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/

It has an option to modify and propagate permissions to subfolders without
wiping out the existing permissions on the lower folders.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Sender: "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Propagating permissions through Public Folders
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:32:12 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>I am trying to propagate a DL group to have change
>permission from a folder high in the hierarchy through to
>lower folders in the tree.
>
>I want to propagate this DL through, without removing DLs
>and permissions in the lower folders in the hierarchy.
>
>eg.
>
>                  Folder Level 1
>                  Permissions A,B
>
>Folder Level 2a                      Folder Level2b
>Permissions A,C,D                    Permissions A,E,F
>
>If I wanted to give new user/DL "G" permission to entire
>public folder structure, can I add "G" to Folder level 1
>and propagate to the folders at level 2 without removing
>permission for users/DL "C", "D", "E" and "F".

0
rroddy (682)
3/5/2004 6:17:54 PM
I forgot to note that suggesting PFDAVAdmin is assuming you're running
Exchange 2000 or 2003. For 5.5 you'd need to use PFINFO and PFADMIN to do
the job and manually modify the information in the export/import file to
add the permissions you need to all the folders you need to add them to.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>From: rroddy@online.microsoft.com (Richard Roddy [MSFT])
>Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:17:54 GMT
>Subject: RE: Propagating permissions through Public Folders
>
>Sounds like a job for PFDAVAdmin. You can find it at
>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/
>
>It has an option to modify and propagate permissions to subfolders without
>wiping out the existing permissions on the lower folders.
>
>Thanks,
>Richard Roddy
>Microsoft Exchange Support

>--------------------
>>From: "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>Sender: "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>Subject: Propagating permissions through Public Folders
>>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:32:12 -0800
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>>
>>I am trying to propagate a DL group to have change
>>permission from a folder high in the hierarchy through to
>>lower folders in the tree.
>>
>>I want to propagate this DL through, without removing DLs
>>and permissions in the lower folders in the hierarchy.
>>
>>eg.
>>
>>                  Folder Level 1
>>                  Permissions A,B
>>
>>Folder Level 2a                      Folder Level2b
>>Permissions A,C,D                    Permissions A,E,F
>>
>>If I wanted to give new user/DL "G" permission to entire
>>public folder structure, can I add "G" to Folder level 1
>>and propagate to the folders at level 2 without removing
>>permission for users/DL "C", "D", "E" and "F".

0
rroddy (682)

Cannot access Public Folders thru System manager
I am unable to access any public folders thru System manager. They can be accessed thru OUtlook 03 clients, but not OWA. We are sunning exch 03 and serv 03. when I try thru system manager I get the following error: Invalid Argument. Facility: win32 ID no: 80070057 Exchange System manager Clik OK and I get this: the Operation Completed Successfully Facility: WIn32 ID no: c0070000 Exchange System Manager The public folders is displayed, but I cannot see any of them. also, I am Unable to create a new Public Folder. I get the Same Invalid Argument error. Any Help would be appreciated.. ...

Linking cell in Excel to Folder in Outlook 2000
I have a contact list in Outlook that I wish to link to from Excel 2000 D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE /select outlook:173 works perfectly from the RUN command. However, using the Hyperlink command in cell formatting does not. My wife runs a parking lot and needs to be able to click on a parking space, say 201 in Excel and have the clients contact information come up from Outlook. In this case the folder 173 contains all the information on a block of contacts 173 to 210. 173 is by default a .xnt file but Excel doesn't by default appear to be able to deal with one. Any ideas ? I obvio...

public lists
is ther a way to block outside (spammers) to send to group lists? Hi Mike, If you are running Exchange 5.5 only, then you could remove the SMTP Address from the Groups and nobody outside of your Exchange Organization would be able to send to them. If you are using Exchange 2000, then you could create a new Recipient Policy that only applies to distribution groups. You could then set it to give the distribution groups an email address of alias@domain.local instead of alias@domain.com. This will prevent anyone from outside from emailing those aliases. -- Thanks, James Burrage This posting...

Changing Publication Date and Pg. Nos.
I've created a newsletter using a Publisher template. At the top of each page, the template automatically inserts the volume and issue number on one side and the page number on the other side. I want to have the volume and issue number at the left and the date at the right on the first page. On the inside pages, I want the page number, newsletter name, and date to be at the top of each page, with the publication name centered and the page number and date alternating positions (because the newsletter will be printed front and back). I've had no success trying to find the wa...

"You don't have appropiate permission to perform this operation"
i get this error message when i push the send/receive button on Outlook 2003. HELP Try creating a new mail profile here: Control Panel->Mail Icon->Show Identities. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, caryk60@hotmail.com asked: | i get this error message when i push the send/receive | button on Outlook 2003. HELP Hi Cary, You can try doing ...

Public Folder Permission inheritance #2
I'm trying to deny (actually remove the "create public folder") permission for the everyone group in ESM Exchange 2003. However, each level up I get inherited permissions. Where is this inherited from and how do I uninherite them without screwing things up? I only want to remove the above stated permission. I believe that I can uncheck "inherit permissions from parent" and then copy permissions, but is that the right thing to do? TIA Bobby "BJ" <bjanow@nospam.msn.com> wrote: >I'm trying to deny (actually remove the "create public ...

Open in Personal Folder
Outlook 2007 opens with the Inbox screen. I would prefer Outlook to open with the Personal Folders screen, but I can't find this in the Options. How can I change the opening screen? Same as all other versions: Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Startup in this folder -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Don B." <deebee@jhu.edu> wrote in message news:AD2918B3-3DE7-4F0D-8215-58C169635F6E@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2007 opens with the Inbox screen. I would prefer Outlook to open > with the Personal Folders screen, but I can't find this in t...

Public Folder Permissions
I have a user whose USER account has Publishing Editor rights to a public folder. There are 2 other groups added to the PF, one group has reviewer and the other has Editor rights. This user is ALSO a member of those 2 groups. What rights does the user have? (feels like an MCSE test question, huh?) The reason this came up is because the user wants to create sub folders so i made the USER acct permissions Publishing Editor. The user still couldn't add sub folders. I checked the 2 groups and saw that the user is in both groups and that both groups have different access. Thanks all! Mike I...

accidently deleted unread mail folder
Hi all. I accidently deleted my unread mail folder in favorites in outlook pro 2003. It also deleted it from all the mail folders for some reason. I can make a new folder, but it does not have the properities of the old one (where all unread mail went into it). How in the world do I recreate it? Thanks! Sorry, should have searched before I posted. This worked for me: Start-Run: outlook.exe /resetnavpane Also, recreating it in the search folders looks like it will work also. Just in case anyone else does that. On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:46:17 GMT, oneplus2 <oneplus2@comcast.net> w...

Saving Favorite Folders list
I have dragged some folders into my Favorite Folders in the navagation panel but it goes back to the default list when I close Outlook and reopen it. I can't find anything in the help about how to save the settings for Outlook. Will someone please help me? Thanks, Ken ...

Delivery receipts do go to Synchronization failure folder
I'm using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. The mailusers in 1 of the stores on the Exchange server do have problems with delivery receipts. The do stay in the queue Local delivery or they end in the Server failures folder of Outlook 2003. I've checked the store several times, but I can't find out why only users in this store do have the problem and others not. Does anyone know how to solve this? ...

deleted a folder in saved mail in error. How 2 restore?
I highlighted the wrong saved folder and deleted a very important one. Is there a way to restore? HELP told me to look in the deleted mail but my folder was not there. Carmella wrote: > I highlighted the wrong saved folder and deleted a very important one. Is > there a way to restore? HELP told me to look in the deleted mail but my > folder was not there. If you permanently deleted the folder (Shift+Del or deleted from the Deleted Items safety folder) then it's gone. Now you'll have to recover your .pst file from your backups. If you don't backup th...

Public folder doesn't receive mail
Working with a single Exchange 2003 Ent. Server (no service pack 1 yet). I've tried every combination of steps I can think of to resolve this issue, and yet it persists. All I would like to do is have a public folder receive mail as part of a security group (preferred) or a distribution group (very acceptable). I start by creating the group. I've tried Global Security, Global Distribution, and Universal Distribution. Then I create the Public Folder. I've used ESM (Folders, not the Public Folder store), and my Outlook 2000 client. Because the folder is in the default public fold...

OWA access Public Folder problem (503 Service Unavailable)
Dear all, Someone has E2k3 servers setup in LV before. Later we setup E2k3 FE and BE servers in SG and create another administative group in ESM. Routing group connector has also be setup and mail routing between LV and SG works fine. When user in SG tries to use OWA to access public folder, it reports 503 Service Unavailable error. But when they use Outlook, they can access without problem. I wonder whether those public folders have to be replicated to either FE or BE or both servers in SG in order to solve the problem. Can anyone give me some hints? Many Thanks! ...

outlook 2003 associate account with folder
Hi need to associate an email account with an inbox folder. i undersand rules and alerts but want to set default account to use when sending/replying to mail to be a specified email account for each inbox folder - this gives correct reply email address and name. also would like default signature to be associated with an inbox folder or email account. thanks in anticipation ...

quick permissions question
i rebuilt my exchange server and im having some weird errors which i believe are permissions related. what are the absolute required permissions required on the MDBData folder and the files inside? Im pretty sure SYSTEM and Exchange Domain Server needs full control, and the object needs to inherit permissions... what am i missing? thanks -dustin Administrators also need full perms. I don't have Exchange Domain servers even listed. But I do have authenticated users with some perms. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Plea...

Problem with archive folders
I have problem with archiving of my old e-mails. I set Autoarchive to archive all 3 months ald messages. Archive do fine but only with the "main folders" like inbox, sent, deleted but don't archives the items of its subfolders. Can anyone help me? If you go to Tools > Settings > Archive you will be able to select a option to include all the subfolders when archiving. Try this it should work. Marais >-----Original Message----- >I have problem with archiving of my old e-mails. I set >Autoarchive to archive all 3 months ald messages. Archive >do fine bu...

Public Folders - Using as a mailbox
Hi I have set up a public folder and have set it up so the people can read and reply to the emails, and tell when others have read them. What is the best way to track the replies? CC them to the public folder? Any other ideas? Many thanks in advance William ...

Audit permissions #2
Hi, I would like to audit mailbox and public folders permissions in Exchange 5.5, but I don't know how to do it. I have been searching around but I only found pay-per-use tools. Any clue? Thank you ...

Why doesn't folder sharing work on XP Home?
I have a laptop that has Windows XP Home installed on it. It's fully patched up to the latest service pack and patches. I've got the File and Printer Sharing module loaded on. But any file folders that are shared from this laptop cannot be accessed by other machines, even if they are other Windows XP machines. This laptop can mount and use shares from other machines, it just doesn't work the other way. My desktop pc was also once running Win XP, Pro in this case. I was able to do all kinds of sharing from that machine. It has been since upgraded to Windows 7, and s...

How do I change the folder location!
Hi, Could someone please tell me how I can change the default locationn o the mail folders to a different drive? Thanks inadvance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi "Exclusive" > Could someone please tell me how I can change the default location of > the mail folders to a different drive? Whenever I've needed to do that i make sure Outlook is closed, move the file where you want it to be, start Outlook, it will cry for its mummy, us...

color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? ...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

Missing "Send As" permission
I have random users getting errors when trying to submit messages via smtp (IMAP/SMTP clients). When I dig deeper, the SELF account does NOT have the 'Send As' permission. What is the best way for me to enable this permission for all user accounts in the domain? Is there a reason not to give SELF this permission (isn't it the default for SELF along w/ Full?). Any one else seen this problem? On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:16:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have random users getting errors when trying to submit messages via smtp >(IMAP/SMTP cli...

Folders changing to EXE files
When we tried to access data from our shared drive approx half the folders appeared to have been renamed to an EXE file, ie admin folder to admin.exe file. Further checking showed the folders are still there but are marked as system and hidden and it appears no even the admin account can clear the attributes to get the folders working again. The system has Trend Micro Worry Free Business installed and is not reporting any virus problems. We have a backup but I am worried the same problem will reoccurr, does anyone know what may have caused this problem? Regards Chris ...