Problems with licensing

Hello,

i have got a problem with how to tell exchange how many CALs exists.
In the normal way I put it under Verwaltung/Lizensierung - there appears
under products the Exchange Server 2003. But in this case there is no record
with Exchange Server 2003. I can't find any licensing information for the
Exchange Server. I think something got wrong during installation.

Background:
1 x Domaincontroller width Server 2003 Standard
1 x old Mailserver with Server 2000 and Exchange 5.5 as member of domain.
1 x 2003 Server R2 as Member of Domain with Exchange 2003 (newly installed -
will replace the old Mailserver)

As i installed Exchange Server 2003 the licensing-Service wasn't running on
the domain controller - could this cause the problems?

Does anybody has some ideas how to solve this problem?

Tanks

Jacek Schikora
http://www.j-s-edv.de
0
JSEDV (4)

The solution is to stop and disable the License Logging service :-)

As long as you have a record (electronic or paper) of how many licenses you
have, you don't have to worry about Windows managing that for you.  The
licensing service in Windows (in my opinion) has never worked well, and
should be avoided if possible.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"J. S. EDV" <JSEDV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> i have got a problem with how to tell exchange how many CALs exists.
> In the normal way I put it under Verwaltung/Lizensierung - there appears
> under products the Exchange Server 2003. But in this case there is no
> record
> with Exchange Server 2003. I can't find any licensing information for the
> Exchange Server. I think something got wrong during installation.
>
> Background:
> 1 x Domaincontroller width Server 2003 Standard
> 1 x old Mailserver with Server 2000 and Exchange 5.5 as member of domain.
> 1 x 2003 Server R2 as Member of Domain with Exchange 2003 (newly
> installed -
> will replace the old Mailserver)
>
> As i installed Exchange Server 2003 the licensing-Service wasn't running
> on
> the domain controller - could this cause the problems?
>
> Does anybody has some ideas how to solve this problem?
>
> Tanks
>
> Jacek Schikora
> http://www.j-s-edv.de

0
Ben
4/21/2006 2:43:23 PM
Thank you for the answer - I was only worried about that the exchange server
would permit only 5 connections and refuse every further.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> The solution is to stop and disable the License Logging service :-)
>
> As long as you have a record (electronic or paper) of how many licenses you
> have, you don't have to worry about Windows managing that for you.  The
> licensing service in Windows (in my opinion) has never worked well, and
> should be avoided if possible.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "J. S. EDV" <JSEDV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > i have got a problem with how to tell exchange how many CALs exists.
> > In the normal way I put it under Verwaltung/Lizensierung - there appears
> > under products the Exchange Server 2003. But in this case there is no
> > record
> > with Exchange Server 2003. I can't find any licensing information for the
> > Exchange Server. I think something got wrong during installation.
> >
> > Background:
> > 1 x Domaincontroller width Server 2003 Standard
> > 1 x old Mailserver with Server 2000 and Exchange 5.5 as member of domain.
> > 1 x 2003 Server R2 as Member of Domain with Exchange 2003 (newly
> > installed -
> > will replace the old Mailserver)
> >
> > As i installed Exchange Server 2003 the licensing-Service wasn't running
> > on
> > the domain controller - could this cause the problems?
> >
> > Does anybody has some ideas how to solve this problem?
> >
> > Tanks
> >
> > Jacek Schikora
> > http://www.j-s-edv.de

0
JSEDV (4)

Exchange 2003 IMF licensing
Can anyone tell me what the current stand is on licensing for the Intelligent Message Filtering add-on is? When I first saw this on the MS site there was a clear indication that Software Assurance for both Exchange Server and CALs was a requirement. I've just spent an hour trying to find this information, I even downloaded the filter and started the install to read the EULA, also searched google to no avail. Any help is much appreciated! My understanding is that microsoft backed away from their original position, and as long as you have an exchange license you can use the IMF. Go...

Problem using GetMenuItemInfo()
Using the following code I am unable to retrieve a menu item string: info.cbSize = sizeof (MENUITEMINFO); info.fMask = MIIM_STRING; info.dwTypeData = NULL; VERIFY(m_ChildMenu.GetMenuItemInfo(nID, &info)); info.dwTypeData = new char[info.cch]; VERIFY(m_ChildMenu.GetMenuItemInfo(nID, &info)); info.dwTypeData has an empty string at this point. Strangely, if I leave out the NULL and the memory allocation it gives me the string but, of course, crashes the program. Am I missing a step? Thanks, Drew Why not use CMenu::GetMenuString? --- Ajay "Ajay Kalra&quo...

Running Total Problem
Can anyone see the problem with my Running Total Query below? (I have used the same formula for Month on the query qryStatsTotalClosed as CurrentMonth on this one) Thanks in advance, John SELECT DateAdd("d",1-Day([Date Raised]),[Date Raised]) AS CurrentMonth, DSum("[Queries Closed]","qryStatsTotalClosed","Datediff('d',Month," & [CurrentMonth] & ")>0") AS RunTot FROM tblQueryInfo; Month is a reserved word, and shouldn't be used as a field name, and you can't refer to computed fields like that in queries: yo...

Problems on Outlook Express
Please, can anybody help to solve my probelms. Thanks in advance. I have 2 problems. 1. When I tries to open the hyperlink from my e-mail, I got this response as shown below : ' Program not found ' ' Windows cannot find Program.exe, this program is needed for opening files of type URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol '. I have try to copy this file " Program.exe " from other computer and it just don't exist. 2. I received an e-mail which suppose to have the text in different colours and my Outlook Express display the mail just in black and I try to set...

BCM 2010
Hi, I have serious problem with my BCM 2010 database. I have a BCM 2010 database instaled on one domain user profile (local database without any share). I change a domail and.... forgot to do backup... (I know, I know - idiot) I have 2 database files recovered from old user profile i I don't know what to do with them to mount this datadabe in new profile. I put them into new profile in the same place but I can't see them from BCM database menu or SQL. Anybody know how to mount this database in new user profile? Jack Do not multipost. So far you've post...

Newsletter Email Forwarding problem (re-visited)
Pub 2003. I developed a newsletter to be sent via email as a message. (in the body of the email, not an attachment) Looks great in my company Outlook inbox, but when i forwarded it to a co-worker there is a split in the newsletter. like two images were split up. what is wrong? any advice on this? Emails from Publisher are kind of quirky at best when they are longer than a sheet of paper. Especially when you have graphics. Unless your email message will fit on a single page, use a .pdf attachment instead. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "tony" <tony@discus...

Line break problem
I am using C# sendmail (cdosys.net) and can't get the lines to break in the MailBody part: Mail.Body = "Company: " + Request.Form["company"] + \n +"First Name: " + Request.Form["firstname"] + \n +"Last Name: " + Request.Form ["surname"]" + \n +"Category: " + Request.Form["category"] + \n +"SubCategory: " + Request.Form["subcategory"] + \n +"Zone: " + Request.Form ["zone"]" + \n +"Address: " + Request.Form["address"] ...

Initial Install CRM Problems.
I'm trying to install CRM 1.2 for the first time on a W2003 Server. I receive the message "You must be a member of Domain Administrator group. Make sure computer is joined to domain and you are logged on to a domain administrator account" I've installed SQL with no problems and even when I logg on as Administrator I can't install CRM. Would appreciate suggestions. Richard Is the CRM server joined to an domain? Are you logged on as the Domain Administrator?- merely being the local CRM server Administrator will not do Installing SQL does not have these requirements...

CRM 3.0 Reporting problem
Hello, (I apologize if it gets posted twice..I had an error on the first posting) I'm currently having a problem with CRM reporting that has me pulling out my hair. I have CRM 3.0 installed on SBS 2003 Premium R2, using the workgroup version of SQL Server 2005 (SP1) that comes with it. A few weeks ago, I had the SQL server 2005 workgroup edition bug (as shown in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387). I had contacted Microsoft for the hotfix but never got around to installing it. During the whole DST change, I followed all of the instructions and patched our CRM, and I have now decided...

problem with warning 'newer version of visio'
hi, I am using Visio 2003 SP2. when i try to open a visio file that was created using different language (korean) then i get warning: 'This drawing contains shapes created with a newer version of this software...' i can open the visio but in all text in custom properties cannot be read. rrnv ...

#VALUE! problem; not enough cond formatting slots to fix.
I usu. deal with #VALUE! with conditional formatting and "iserror". In a current spreadsheet, I can't fix errors because I need alternating row colours which take 2 of the 3 conditional formatting slots. To fix this for the 2 colours of rows, I'd need an additional conditional formatting slot (i.e., 4 instead of 3, total) so that the font colours could be accommodated against 2 backgrounds. .... the cell that gets a #VALUE! in it is a calcuation between dates. The first date is typed into a cell to the left of this calculation one and it corresponds to the date tha...

Excel 2007 Page Layout Selection Problem
I have a 19" monitor at a resolution of 1152 by 864. In page layout view, if I select a cell on page 1 by clicking just a little to the right of center in the cell, the cell and the one to the right of it are selected. If I click a little to the left of center in the cell, only the cell is selected. This behavior occurs with a zoom factor of 97% through 101%. With other zoom factors everything is fine. Also, if I scroll right so that column A disappears, there is no selection problem. This behavior does not occur on other pages, just page 1. Has anyone else noticed this kind of beh...

Windows Image Acquisition library problems
I am trying to add some simple scanning code to an app to use my WIA compliant scanner. I have downloaded and installed the WIAAUT.DLL I found some sample C#.NET code that uses WIA and have a simple test app that will invoke my scanner's WIA driver UI that lets me run a preview scan, mask the area I want to scan, adjust the DPI, etc, and then scan. All well and good. Here's the rub. It doesn't matter what value I pass to the FormatID property, the returned ImageFile object is ALWAYS in Window BMP format!! I want to save as JPG. But the saved file is always the same exact...

Excel - 2000 or 97 conversion
Sorry, right, let me try an clear it up. Situation is: At the moment a user can click on a data validated cell and a dropdow list appears. There are three options, which all bring up a selectio of different cells. (Change event). The selections then contain mor data validated cells. This works fine in excel 2000+ but obviously, no 97. I need to find a way of making this possible. I have tried debr dalgleish's example, but can't get the cells to work. Hope thats helps Andre -- ajw15 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ajw150's Profile: http...

Custom - Detailed Sales Report by Hour
I downloaded this report from customer source and put it on my POS. Running the report seems to take forever (compared to any other Detailed Sales Report). The main flaw of the report is that any sales done until 9:59 shows up at the end of the report as the report obviously does not use a leading zero, thus, when the report is sorted 9:00 is higher then 10:00 because of the missing leading zero. I googled for anything related to "cast(DataPart" and found lots of hits. I have tried it with RIGHT('00 + cast...., changing the receiving variables to char or char(2), but the ...

using variable length named ranges problem
I have 3 variable length lists of data that need to be concatenated in to one column. Presently the following formula works (This is typed in to A1 and copied down the column using the drag handle so in cell A2 refs to C1,D1,E1 are automatically changed to C2,D2,E2 and so on): =IF(ROW()<=COUNTA(C:C),C1,IF(ROW()<=(COUNTA(C:C)+COUNTA(D:D)),OFFSET(D1,(COU NTA(C:C)),0,1,1),IF(ROW()<=(COUNTA(C:C)+COUNTA(D:D)+COUNTA(E:E)),OFFSET(E1,- (COUNTA(C:C)+COUNTA(D:D)),0,1,1),""))) Result - a list of data in column A which is the list of data in column C plus data in column D plus ...

Problem with properly sizing a formview
I have a formview that I place a toolbar onto. In my OnInitialUpdate(), after I create the toolbar, I say GetParentFrame()->RecalcLayout(); ResizeParentToFit(FALSE); ResizeParentToFit(TRUE); The formview is still not sized properly. It looks like the problem is the toolbar on the top of the formview. It is not being taken into account in sizing the formview. The difference at the bottom of the form is not displayed is the size of the toolbar. Any suggestions? ...

Outlook today problems
i have outlook 2003 on win XP every time I try to change the window of outlook today, it keeps the style I choose like winter, summer and so on. When I change to another window and come back to the Outlook today page, the system has restored the original style and there are some red X instead of small images. What can be the issue? .. ...

Problem with OFFICE MULTICLIPBOARD EX 2003
Well, that's the thing. (sorry but me english) I update a page several times a month. The Page has various tables o excel, that i copy and paste to FRONTPAGE. There are a lot of tables t copy from excel and paste into FRONTPAGE, by that, i try to use mult clipboard. I do a macro in excell that copy all the tables (obiously have to maintain the format of excell, lines...colors..etc.). The macro copy...copy.....copy....copy...all the tables. Then i go t FRONTPAGE turn view on the OFFICE CLIPBOARD, an paste..paste.......paste. The problem is that when the table i copy from excell is large...

wince5.0 sdio wifi catalog problem
hi eveyone, i got a s3c2440 EVB with wince5.0 and sdio wifi card, i just want to know how many catalogs should i add to my os image to run my sdio wifi card on my EVB, thanks! I have add the following catalog SYSGEN_EAP SYSGEN_NWIFI_AP SYSGEN_NWIFI_STA SYSGEN_ETH_80211 SYSGEN_AUTH_NTLM and i got the log as following: ERROR: function @ Ordinal 2569 missing in Module 'coredll.dll' !!! Please Check your SYSGEN variable !!! sinojapan wrote: >hi eveyone, >i got a s3c2440 EVB with wince5.0 and sdio wifi card, i just want to know how >many catalogs should i add...

Backup Problems
I have Office 2003 and I downloaded the MS Backup Program for Outlook. The problem arises in that when backup tries to do so to my disk drive it generates an error message in that it cannot locate the "file". How do you backup to a disk ? Also, when and if I do get that matter resolved, can I take my contacts with me so that I can work on them on another computer ? -- Jim Estep ...

Problem with Date Formatting
I am importing a text file with dates in the format 3/1/05. I need the data formatted as DD-MMM-YYYY. I can get this for all dates EXCEPT where the leading zero has been dropped off the day, such as 3/1/05. Can anyone suggest how to do this in Excel? ...

Outlook format problem
Dear all, When i am preparing or replying the message in outlook 2007, the Return Sign "¶ " shown at the end of each line . I have pressed the incon ¶ on the tool bar, it didn't hide the sign and show another sign ° as a return sign. I think something wrong of the sign. How can i resume to normal without showing ¶ in my new msg or replying message. Tks/Rachel Office Button | Editor Options | Display...see if you have any of those checked that shouldn't be. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rol...

Problem migrating Money 2000 to 2004
Hi, I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new version. But eveytime I try I receice a error that I cannot access to the database. What am I doing wrong? Can some help me? I would like to evolve to the new version. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers Miguel Rodrigues In microsoft.public.money, Miguel Rodrigues wrote: > >I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like >to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new >version. > >But eveytime I try I receice a erro...

Problem with HTTPS over RPC
Hi, i havent been able to use properly the HTTPS over RPC feature. We have a OWA Front End Server and Two Exchange BackEnd Servers (All of the SP2). OWA, OMA, ActiveSync, they all working fine. I have configured the HTTPS over RPC in all the servers, but i can't seem to make it work from outsided on the internet. I have test it from within our internal network, and it works just fine. Could anyone help me wwith this? If i got a brand new XP2 with Office 2003 with SP2 on the internet, and this PC its not part of our domain, this configuration should still work right? or the PCs ...