problem with server relaying to itself before delivering message

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C67E46.F590DD00

I have a very strange problem.

On my exchange 2003 server, I set up 2 SMTP virtual servers (mail.com =
and mail2.com)

If I use smtp to send mail from my workstation via mail2.com , mail2 =
delivers the email to mail.com before it gets sent on to the correct =
server.

I have only one Internet Mail Connector set up.

Below is a part of the header in the email:

mail.com receives email from the internet and thus has filtering enabled
mail2.com has no filtering

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C67E46.F590DD00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a very strange =
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On my exchange 2003 server, I set up 2 =
SMTP virtual=20
servers (mail.com and mail2.com)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I use smtp to send mail from my =
workstation via=20
mail2.com , mail2 delivers the email to mail.com before it gets sent on =
to the=20
correct server.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have only one Internet Mail Connector =
set=20
up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Below is a part of the header in the=20
email:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Received: from UnknownHost =
[196.211.242.186] by=20
sm-johns.m6.net with SMTP;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Fri, 12 May 2006 13:02:32=20
+0000<BR>Received: from mail2.com ([10.1.50.1]) by mail.com with =
Microsoft=20
SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);<BR>&nbsp; Fri, 12 May 2006 14:57:53 =
+0200<BR>Received:=20
from workstation([10.1.50.13]) by mail2.com with Microsoft=20
SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>mail.com receives email from the =
internet and thus=20
has filtering enabled</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>mail2.com has no filtering</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any ideas on how to stop this from=20
happening?</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C67E46.F590DD00--

0
jasonkaler (12)

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C67E4C.4B419000

Sorry for the re-post.

> What are the different virtual servers used for and how are they =
setup. Do you also have an SMTP connector? How is this configured?
> Check for any smarthost entries on the Virtual servers or a connector.

mail.com is used to receive email from the internet, and therefore has =
filtering enabled on it.
mail2.com is used internally, MS Exchange seems to think that MS Project =
emails are spam.
The only difference between the setup of the two is the IP address and =
the filters enabled.
There is no smart host on either. (Everything else is on it's default =
setting).

I have 1 smtp connector, everything there is on default:
Using DNS to route.

And the option just below that: Local Bridgeheads
I added my second virtual server there and it works!

Lol, so that's what that is for.

JK
------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C67E4C.4B419000

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry for =
the=20
re-post.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In response to the following 2=20
questions:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; What =
are the different=20
virtual servers used for and how are they setup. Do you also have an =
SMTP=20
connector? How is this configured?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Check =
for any=20
smarthost entries on the Virtual servers or a =
connector.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>mail.com is used to receive email from =
the=20
internet, and&nbsp;therefore has filtering enabled on it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>mail2.com is used internally, MS =
Exchange seems to=20
think that MS Project emails are spam.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only difference between the setup =
of the two is=20
the IP address and the filters&nbsp;enabled.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is no smart host on either. =
(Everything else=20
is on it's default setting).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have 1 smtp connector, everything =
there is on=20
default:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Using DNS to route.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And the option just below that: Local=20
Bridgeheads</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I added my second virtual server there =
and it=20
works!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Lol, so that's what that is =
for.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2>JK</FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C67E4C.4B419000--

0
jasonkaler (12)
5/23/2006 7:35:57 AM
On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:57:45 +0200, "Jason Kaler"
<jasonkaler@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a very strange problem.
>
>On my exchange 2003 server, I set up 2 SMTP virtual servers (mail.com and mail2.com)
>
>If I use smtp to send mail from my workstation via mail2.com , mail2 delivers the email to mail.com before it gets sent on to the correct server.
>
>I have only one Internet Mail Connector set up.
>
>Below is a part of the header in the email:

>mail.com receives email from the internet and thus has filtering enabled
>mail2.com has no filtering
>
>Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Can you just tell me why you have these two SMTP VSI's for the two
SMTP domains?
0
mark7219 (5666)
5/23/2006 8:33:58 AM
On Tue, 23 May 2006 09:35:57 +0200, "Jason Kaler"
<jasonkaler@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the re-post.

>> What are the different virtual servers used for and how are they setup. Do you also have an SMTP connector? How is this configured?
>> Check for any smarthost entries on the Virtual servers or a connector.
>
>mail.com is used to receive email from the internet, and therefore has filtering enabled on it.
>mail2.com is used internally, MS Exchange seems to think that MS Project emails are spam.
>The only difference between the setup of the two is the IP address and the filters enabled.
>There is no smart host on either. (Everything else is on it's default setting).
>
>I have 1 smtp connector, everything there is on default:
>Using DNS to route.
>
>And the option just below that: Local Bridgeheads
>I added my second virtual server there and it works!
>
>Lol, so that's what that is for.
>
>JK

Thanks for the answer, it makes sense now. Here's your plan. delete
the 2nd VSI. Go into the properties of the remaining SMTP VSI and
apply the 2nd IP address to it. The IMF applies the filter at that
level so you have the primary address set to filter and the other
address set to not filter.
Something slightly better is if the box doing the sending can change
the SMTP port it sends stuff to, (26 is a favourite)
Even better is if you have a FE/BE environment you can direct project
to send to the BE where it won't need to traverse the LAN twice (not a
real problem obviously, but it's an option that I include for the sake
of completeness.)

0
mark7219 (5666)

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Interface not registered message

Offline folder problems #2

outlook 2k2 problem