Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3

We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single
server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store.  Incoming and outbound
SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same
subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing.   ServerA is
configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host.  The domain
is a native Windows 2003 AD topology.

My problem is the following:

I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange
site topology.    If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a Move
Mailbox to ServerB, and then I attempt to send an email to that user's
mailbox from an existing user's mailbox (UserB) on ServerA, it appears that
the message isn't being routed properly.   If I check the Queues on ServerA,
I can see that a queue is created called serverb.mycompany.com, and the
message to UserA is trying to be forwarded through this queue.   However, it
appears that the message simply can't find it's way to serverB.   The SMTP
service on ServerB works fine, as I can telnet into port 25 and get proper
HELO/EHLO responses.

I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.

If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using an
external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's own
Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a Connector
between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?

All help is appreciaited.

Stuck at the last step,

Robert Gordon

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.

When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
"Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
state?

>If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using an
>external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
>message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
>ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
>itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's own
>Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a Connector
>between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?

Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
address space value of "*".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message in
"retry" state to ServerB.

Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed to
a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA. Since the mailbox that I'm
atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to modify
the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.
>
> When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
> "Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
> state?
>
> >If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using
an
> >external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
> >message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
> >ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
> >itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's
own
> >Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a
Connector
> >between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?
>
> Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
> you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
> You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
> address space value of "*".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The message from the queue states that the connection was dropped by the
remote host, yet I have ServerB set to accept email relaying from Any source
on out internal LAN, so I am starting to believe that the issue lies in how
the *nix SMTP relay is involved.

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.
>
> When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
> "Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
> state?
>
> >If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using
an
> >external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
> >message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
> >ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
> >itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's
own
> >Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a
Connector
> >between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?
>
> Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
> you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
> You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
> address space value of "*".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>I use the default virtual SMTP queue's "smart host" entry for forwarding
>mail to the *nix relay.  This configuration works perfectly fine right now,
>as all other inbound/outbound email stil flows exactly as it should.  It's
>only when I attempt sending to recipients on ServerB that the problems
>occur.

Try using the SMTP Connector instead of the VS to control the
smarthost setting.

>The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message in
>"retry" state to ServerB.

Yes, but it also tells you why the queue is in the retry state.

>Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed to
>a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA.

If you mean ALL mail, including FQDNs for specific servers, you'll
have a problem.

>Since the mailbox that I'm
>atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
>*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to modify
>the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?

I pretty sure you need to use the SMTP Connector to make this work.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>The message from the queue states that the connection was dropped by the
>remote host,

That's your *nix box.

>yet I have ServerB set to accept email relaying from Any source
>on out internal LAN, so I am starting to believe that the issue lies in how
>the *nix SMTP relay is involved.

Try the SMTP Connector.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> >I use the default virtual SMTP queue's "smart host" entry for forwarding
> >mail to the *nix relay.  This configuration works perfectly fine right
now,
> >as all other inbound/outbound email stil flows exactly as it should.
It's
> >only when I attempt sending to recipients on ServerB that the problems
> >occur.
>
> Try using the SMTP Connector instead of the VS to control the
> smarthost setting.
>
> >The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message
in
> >"retry" state to ServerB.
>
> Yes, but it also tells you why the queue is in the retry state.
>
> >Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed
> >a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA.
>
> If you mean ALL mail, including FQDNs for specific servers, you'll
> have a problem.
>
> >Since the mailbox that I'm
> >atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
> >*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to
modify
> >the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?
>
> I pretty sure you need to use the SMTP Connector to make this work.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>Once I create the Connector, should I remove the smarthost setting from the
>SMTP VS?

yes, you should.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thank you, Rich.

Rounding Problems with Euros
Hi, I noticed that every time I dive, add or multiply a number in euro the answer doesn' t Maatch the euro number. Does anyone know how to eliminate this ongoing issue i'm having? Here is an example to better explain my problem: let's say I have a bottle of rum that cost 4.50€ and let's says there are 12 bottles in tha case. If I want to find out what the case cost is if I do 4.50 x 12 I would get the case cost, but when dealing with euros the final case cost once I multiply doesn't reflect the bottle cost once I divide my answer again. I would get someth...

Problem with automatic standby
I'm running XP Home Edition. A while back I was suddenly not permitted, in the Desktop Properties, to rename and change settings on any of the Power Schemes. Unfortunately I don't remember what the error message said about that. I deleted all of the power schemes except one, to see if that would help, and it didn't. I am able (sometimes) to change the settings for the remaining power scheme, but I can't change the name. So I now have only the one power scheme, and can't create others under a different name. Any suggestions that might fix this? Larry Have ...

cannot open digitally signed message
I have a user (running Outlook 2003 sp3 on Windows XP sp3). He has received a couple of emails lately that contain digital signatures. Problem is, he can't read or open the messages, either in the Reading Pane or by trying to open them. He gets the error "unable to open this item due to an unspecified error". On a different machine, the messages open up just fine, which tells me there's something wonky going on with this particular system. I tried running Outlook in safe mode (no good). I tried repairing the installation (no good). I tried exporting the...

Word 2008 Spellcheck problem
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Out of the blue, spellcheck now underlines correctly spelled words, and ignores incorrectly spelled words. Does this on new documents. It's is as if the spell check instructions have been reversed. Any idea how to fix? Most likely you've pasted content copied form another source or in some other way wound up with text that's formatted for the wrong Language. Although the optimum approach is to control the Language formatting - just as any other - through the use of Styles, you should be able to: ...

Cannot delete messages in out box
I have MS XP OS, and Office 2002. With outlook 2002, I have 3 messages that I cannot delete. I get "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." restarting does not work, and I have loaded the oputlook patch. Bryce <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have MS XP OS, and Office 2002. With outlook 2002, I > have 3 messages that I cannot delete. I get "The > messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the > problem persists, restart Outlook." restarting does not > work...

Message Rules
Can anyone help???? In outlook express you get the option not to download messages from server but its not there in any version of outlook? - why? Can it be done? Cheers Froody On Thu, 20 May 2004 05:42:05 -0700, "Froody" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone help???? > >In outlook express you get the option not to download >messages from server but its not there in any version of >outlook? - why? Can it be done? > >Cheers > >Froody unless i misunderstand your question, you can go to (in OL2000) TOOLS:ACCOUNTS highlight...

PRINT PREVIEW PROBLEM #2
When I select the print preview option I don't see my entire page . . . only about 3/4 down?? HELP!! My version of Publisher doesn't have a "Print preview" but over a day or two you will probably get a reply from one of the MVPs. -- Don "May your shadow be found in happy places." (Native North American) "LINK GIRL" <LINK GIRL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45870038-2AC4-4BBE-87DB-A1FC8829606C@microsoft.com... > When I select the print preview option I don't see my entire page . . . > only > about 3/4 down?? ...

Installation Problem: [IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.]
Hi, we've got the following problem after installing MS CRM 4.0 and creating a new Organization Unit (note that we're navigating to http://servername/defaultorganization/): [IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.] System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByIndex(Int32 userIndex) +1879898 System.Data.DataRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) +14 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MultiOrgSharableMetadataCacheLoader.BuildContainerFromDataSet(DataSet data, LoadMasks masks, Guid organizationId) +575 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheLoader.BuildMetadataCacheFromDataSet(DataSet...

missing send and receive menu off of tols and messages will not send ..
Hello, I just installed Outlook 2002 and I am not seeing the send/receive menu off of the tools menu. I do have full menus showing. Also, creating a new message and attempting to send it is not working. Can anyone help? Jeff did you create an account in outlook? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join O...

comctl32.dll version problems?
I am having some very strange problems with the CListView. I have attempted to subclass CListView. When instantiating via code and displaying on a form that goes fine. When I insert two columns with column headers that is fine. When I go to insertitems nothing shows up. Now here is the very weird part. On my machine in the windows\system32 folder i have version 5.82.2800.1106 of comctl32.dll. When I replace it with version 6.0.2800.1106 it works. Another developer here has version 5.81.4916.400 in his system32 folder and it works as expected. Does anyone know of some known qui...

Reading XML from Database - Serious Problem

Create hyperlinks in body of Entourage message?
This is such an simple task in Outlook. Does Entourage even allow you to create hyperlinks in the body of a message (I know about the signature)? If so, how? THANKS, Doug "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0538604E-C6E6-4198-A2B1-1F81B5D5B83F@microsoft.com... > This is such an simple task in Outlook. Does Entourage even allow you to > create hyperlinks in the body of a message (I know about the signature)? If > so, how? > > THANKS, > Doug Try a little test. Type a URL and send it to yourself. When you receive it, it is a ...

Excel Comments Problem
Hi All, I'm a having a problem in modifying comments in excel. Everytime the file is saved, then reopened, i can no longer modify the contents of my comments. I can add additional information, but i cannot edit or delete the previously written information in the comment. can somebody please help me on these. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Kristine If the workbook is shared (Tools>Share Workbook), you can't edit or delete the text of the existing comment. You can delete the existing comment (Edit>Clear>Comments), and insert a new one. Kristine w...

Exchange 2000 Problem #2
I have an Exchange 2000 server with many users. When the users try to login using OWA, they are repeatedly asked for login credentials. They are never granted access, just asked for credentials over and over. POP access works however. Any Ideas?? Additionally, this is a new problem on an old server. OWA has worked for a long time on this server, and has just started this problem in the last day or so... If that information helps any. More information needed. How are users logging in? Domain\username? Have you changed ANY authentication settings, or added any 3rd party products to...

Recent Office X.x upgrade shutdown problems
After running the recent upgrade for Office X (version 10.1.5), I've noticed that all the applications - Entourage, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint - take a considerable amount of time to shutdown when you exit the application. Testing each of the four applications, selecting "Quit application" closes all windows, but then takes up to one full minute to shutdown the application completely. This problem is consistent across all four applications. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, is there a fix yet from MS that I have not seen? Regards, Thomas If you're runni...

Number of incoming messages is incorrect
At times I notice that the number of incoming mail I receive is greater than I actually get. I have blocked a lot of junk mail messages/spam but are these being considered as incoming mail anyway? -- Bugsy Any incoming message is considered new regardless of what folder it ends up in. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Its My Bug" <ItsMyBug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4AD6E858-98F4-44A7-B572-362C4E165B71@microsoft.com... > At times I notice that the number of incoming mail I receive is gre...

Duplicate messages sent with message still in Outbox
When I send attachments over 1.0 mb using Outlook 2002 I receive the following error message: 0x8004210B "The operation timed out waiting for response from the (SMTP) server." Despite the error message and the fact that the attachment shows never leaving my Outbox, the recipient receives several copies of it. I don't have any problems sending smaller attachments. I have tried running Detect and Repair and disabling my anti-virus but the problem still persists. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! ...

host file problem
i delete my host file (shift+del), how can i get back my host file or the default one ? From: "kalicharan" <kalicharan@discussions.microsoft.com> | i delete my host file (shift+del), how can i get back my host file or the | default one ? Since you do not need one, it is not a poblem so don't worry about it. -- Dave http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp On 06 Mar 2010, =?Utf-8?B?a2FsaWNoYXJhbg==?= <kalicharan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.gen...

Importing old message from OE6 into WLM
Hi, I imported my OE6 messages into WLM, but the messages dated before 19/08/1999 do not get imported. There is no error message generated. Any ideas Hi, Steven. Which version of Windows are you using? And which version of WLMail? HOW did you import your messages? Did you move the DBX files to the WLM folder via a network or a thumb drive or a transfer cable - or ??? If you tell us, step by step, what you did, we may be able to spot where you stepped off the path. RC -- R. C. White, CPA San Marcos, TX rc@grandecom.net Microsoft Windows MVP Windows Live Mail 2...

Placement of Controls on Dialogs Problem
Greetings: I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 and MFC. I have this application which has dialogs that, for a variety of reasons, I am placing the controls (Edit boxes, pushbuttons, etc) programmatically, when the dialog initializes (OnInitDialog) as opposed to using the resource editor to place the controls. My problem is that when I run this application on systems with different screen resoultions, the control placement is off - sometimes WAY off. Can someone tell me if there is a fail safe way to scale, size and place a control on a dialog so that it always appears with the correct relative si...

Receiving registered windows message after mainframe closed
I am stuck and could use any suggestion. My application (MSVC 6 & MFC) uses a mainframe that is hidden soon after it is created & uses a tray icon for user interactions. I have had no problem for quite some time - till I upgraded from WinXP home - SP1 to WinXP rpo XP2. The application crashes on exit in the debug mode. The error is an ASSERT in CWnd::WalkPretranslateTree. This function is checking if any windows wants to translate the message and the last window being checked is my mainframe which has been destroyed by now (the problem occurs after OnNcDestroy in my CMainFrame which...

Problem with 'New' Reports !?
There are no reports in my Reports Section, and when I try to 'add' them via the 'New' command (and following the help file directions), I get the following error: "An error occured while trying to add the report to microsoft CRM. Try adding the report again. If this problem continues, contact your system administrator." I'm just trying to upload the 'stock' CRM reports to take a look, but nooo. Any ideas? Jon you can uppload your reporting-server-report by using the report-server ui. http://<crm server>/reports/Pages/Folder.aspx klick on you...

Error Message When Clicking On Outlook
I'm getting this message can anyone help me. The procedure entry point-Getiums@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library msdart.dll. How did you fix this problem?- the same message appears on upon opening outlook i have Win XP -----Original Message----- > > > >I'm getting this message can anyone help me. > >The procedure entry point-Getiums@4 could not be located >in the dynamic link library msdart.dll. >. > ...

Memory leak Problem
Hello Everyone, greetings, I wrote an application using MFC CDatabase and Crecordset classes to access the MS Access Database.My application continuesly open and close connection. When I test it with Rational Purify, it shows Memory leaks in CDatabase::OpenEx and Crecordset:pen statement. I didnt use any dynamic allocation in my application and i close all connections properly. I want to know is MFC CRecordset and CDatabase classes leaks memory or this is the problem with my application itself. Plz suggest me to get out with this precarious situation. Thanks Regards Tapesh >-----Origin...

Outlook error message on startup; duplicated Contacts folder
I have just installed Outlook XP on my new XP PC and have stated getting this error message on starting Outlook. 'C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Microsoft\Addins\C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\Addins\outbak.dll' is not a valid Office add-in I never got it on my previous W2K set up, and I'm not aware of anything else that might affect it. The only thing I've done is inadvertently create a second Contacts folder which is empty but which I can't now delete. I can still use the other one fine. I don't know if the two things are linked - I suspect no...