Problem w/ Public Folders through OWA

We have an Exchange 2003 / Windows 2003 front-end server with an Exchange
2003 / Windows 2000 back-end server.

All users accessing public folders via OWA are able to view but NOT add or
edit items to things such as public calendars. The same user can log onto to
a PC with Outlook installed and make changes. Any ideas?

--
t-mac
0

Hi t-mac,

I am experiencing something similar and have come to the conclusion that for
some reason, when access public folders through OWA, the "Default"
permissions are used instead of the actual users.  If I am correct, your
"Default" for the folder has been left at the default which is "reviewer".
If you change that to none (as I would like to so that only people I
explicitly grant permissions to can view the contents), I believe you will
find that if you folder is a calendar (as mine is), the user can see tha
calendar but it is blank (they can't see the contents).  This is the case
even though the user in question has specifically been granted "reviewer"
privileges.

I am leaning toward the conclusion that this behavior (i.e. using the
default permissions instead of the users when accessing public folders) is a
result of the authentication configuration set on the virtual public folder
directory in System Manager.

I would love it is someone who knows more about Exchange server 2003 could
confirm or deny this and maybe even suggest a way to correct this as it is so
obviously wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Andi

"t-mac" wrote:

> We have an Exchange 2003 / Windows 2003 front-end server with an Exchange
> 2003 / Windows 2000 back-end server.
>
> All users accessing public folders via OWA are able to view but NOT add or
> edit items to things such as public calendars. The same user can log onto to
> a PC with Outlook installed and make changes. Any ideas?
>
> --
> t-mac
0
Andi1 (23)
10/13/2005 5:26:08 PM
 t-mac,

I have done some more exploring.  In your system administrator, navigate to
yAdministrative groups\your domain\servers\your server\protocols\HTTP check
the properties on the folders Public and Exchange folders under the Exchange
virtual server.  I found that if I enabled Digest Authentication (as well as
integrated and basic) it had the following effect;

From a domain machine with a domain account logged on:
          -OWA opened your mailbox without prompting for credentials (it
used your windows logon)
         - Access to public folders was according to that specifically
granted to the particular user logged on.

The disadvantage was that from a home machine (or any machine not logged in
to the domain), the logon screen required you to enter a domain name as well
as a user name and password.  However, once you did this, once again the
permissions matched those that were explicitly given.

Unfortunately, this solution will not work for us because we have public
workstations logged in to a generic account which the nurses use and they
need to be able to access their OWA mail from there without having to log on
to windows.

So.......Any MS employees out there that can solve this problem for me??????

Again, thanks in advance,

Andi

"t-mac" wrote:

> We have an Exchange 2003 / Windows 2003 front-end server with an Exchange
> 2003 / Windows 2000 back-end server.
>
> All users accessing public folders via OWA are able to view but NOT add or
> edit items to things such as public calendars. The same user can log onto to
> a PC with Outlook installed and make changes. Any ideas?
>
> --
> t-mac
0
Andi1 (23)

Public Folder Auto-reply #2
Hi Is there any way that I can enable an auto-reply for emails that are going to a Public Folder that is mail enabled. The emails will not only becoming from inside th company but externally as well. Thanx for the help Sulaiman yes, you can...on the Administration tab, click Folder Assistant...but be very cautious with this...it's very easy to get into a "mail loop" condition that could conceivably crash the store... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Sulaiman" <Sulaiman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E3D127F-2CBE-40D3-9AC3-333F3D25B465@microsoft....

Problem terminating plink under Windows
Hello, I am using plink to establish an SSH session with a host. I have developed some Windows code to manage the plink session. I am using CreateProcess to start plink and various read/write commands to communicate with plink. I've tried to terminate plink with the commands to send a Control C or Control Break to a session. That hasn't worked. I've found an obscure note on another program that states the problem may be that the progam (plink) does not have a console. At the moment I've resorted to calling TerminateProcess to end plink. The documentation states Termin...

multiple personal folders #12
HI, I have multiple "Personal Folders" directories in my Outlook 2007. The reason is probably that I imported several old archive. Is there a way to fuse or merge these directories? Or perhaps move the contents to one and than delete the other empty one? Thanks You can copy and paste from one folder to another. You can then close any folder that isn't your default (unless you corrupted your profile by importing a PST file). -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <paa17@planiet.nl> wrote in message news:4968f5ea$0$30616$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl... >...

New entity
when i attach a contact to an account i have an option - to choose an account from the list, or to create a new one. but i dont have this option when i work with two custom entities (1 to many relationships). only to choose from existing when i want a assign a primary entity to a secondary one. is there a workarround? this way makes me press much more buttons in different forms. i have secondary objects already created due to my business proccess, so i need to go to the primary entity, create an object, then to go back, to open a secondary one and to attach the primary one to it. thanks ...

Saving user account settings to a network folder
I have been able to set Outlook to look to a network folder to see the Outlook file that has the user's mail account set up in it. However, the customized signature and other program settings are not saved in this file (outlook.pst). Is there a way to save all of the customizations to the newtork as well (another file)????? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Hi Jonathan I recently had to upgrade from Ex5.5 to Ex2k and the only way I could do this was to export all the user data to a pst file and import it in to Ex2K. The only draw back was that all the things such as rules...

Help! Unable to mount public folder store event 9519
Hi, I am getting the following error when tring to mount the public folder store. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9519 Date: 11/01/2006 Time: 00:10:26 User: N/A Computer: SERVER Description: Error 0x8004010f starting database "First Storage Group\f7967383-856a-4b7f-9023-37c269a0e908" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store. Look up of DB Info failed. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. I have tried numerous ms kb articles to no avail. I did find this on a news group :- -------------...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

same look for all folders
Hello, I am using outlook 2003 ( mailbox on exchange server ) I' dont like the Show in groups view for my mail folders. I can change this view by => View,Arrange By,show in groups, but i have todo this for all folders. Can i set a default setting, so that all my folders ( also public folders ) are in the non-show in groups view? Thank you, ponch <wavdp@belgacom.net> wrote: > Can i set a default setting, so that all my folders ( also public > folders ) are in the non-show in groups view? I don't know if it will apply to public folders, but here's something f...

Exchange Server 2007 Public Folders Permission issue
We have a consultants folder with over a hundred sub folders. Is there any way to propagate the permissions down to all the sub folders? Get-PublicFolder \<Parent_Folder_Tree>\Consultants -Recurse | Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -AccessRights <see_help_for_optoins> -User <Domain\User> -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF14A00D-D9E6-486D-9237-C7ED652524F5@microsoft.com... > We have a cons...

can't access public folders with OWA
Hi, I have Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 Installed everything works fine, except when trying to access Public folders via Outlook Web Access, after going to the location its asks for username and password - this works ok and the folder is displayed, but when trying to add a folder or post a note or do anything I get: You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. I have tested on client machines, remote machine and the exchange server as administrator with no luck. does anyone have any...

OWA 2003 Log Off Button gives HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error message. Everything else seems to be working fine. There's a KB about this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97769784-4AA2-4445-A0AA-86E0581681A1@microsoft.com... > When Logging off of 2003 OWA I get a page cannot be displayed error > message. > Everything else seems to be working fine. Ed, I did a search in the Knowledge Base and found nothing!!!! Help! Warren ...

CRM 3.0 Install Problems
We're trying to upgrade a dev instance of CRM 1.2 to 3.0. It gets partway through the installation before it fails, giving this error message: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Execution of a full-text operation failed. The parameter is incorrect. Looking at the log, it looks like this is where it fails: 15:00:38| Info| Disable full-text indexing 15:00:44| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Execution of a full-text operation failed....

Performance problem in Vista Windows explorer if /SWAPRUN:NET is set on an executable.
I have rather big executables (about 25-35 MB). Because I want my users to easily execute my application, I don't want them to install a bunch of DLL's, just xcopy-install is OK for me (and my customers). Because my software is often run from a network drive, and my customers' networks are not always reliable, I link my executables using the /SWAPRUN:NET option. This guarantees that the whole EXE is loaded in memory before the application starts, and prevents crashes if the network connection is dropped while my application is running. This worked fine so far, BUT ... under...

Outlook 2007 Folder Status Notification
I am having issues w/the Folder Status message. It used to tell me "All folders are up to date.", now it is just saying "This folder is up to date." Anyway to make it go back? I am using a corporate version of XP as the OS if you need that. Thanks, Sophie ...

Date Problems
Dear Microsoft: Since we all know that the cost of a 1st class stamp is going to go up, I thought I would plot the cost over time. http://www.nonprofitmailers.org/tools/ratehist.htm 1. I formatted a column as DATE, but the 3 dates prior to 1900 that I entered as x-x-xxxx were not recognized by Excel as dates. (??!!???!). When I reentered them as x/x/xxxx Excel recogized July 1, 1885, but not the other 2. (Huh?) 2. So then I charted the dates and the costs as a line chart, the costs are displayed ok. The dates are displayed on the x-axis, but the dates are equidistant. That's...

big problem *(no save ...
.... i don't know where else to tern. my vista wun't save files when i delete a file then restart it cums bck. been a it ovah 2 months.hlp pls. -- sid .... i don't fuckin' care -- sid ...

Sent emails not moved from Outbox to Sent folder
Using Windows Live Mail (Version 2009 Build 14.0.8089.0726) I often find that sent emails are not moved from my Outbox to my Sent folder. When first discovering this I would resend the email in the Outbox or query the intended recipient (with apologies), asking if the email had been received. In each instance the email HAD been sent, just never moved to the Sent folder. 1) Is there any way I can determine if mail sitting in my Outbox has actually been sent -- without querying the recipient? 2) Is there any way I can get Windows Live Mail to properly move sent emails from ...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Outlook 2002 shutdown problems
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002 with sp2 and I noticed that at times as many as 10 copies of Outlook are running simultaneously. To show this I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look under the Processes tab in the Task Manager. I also have trouble receiving email from my ISP. It resonds many times with the server disconnected. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Outlook Express Spell Check problems
I have installed the following configuration WINDOWS XP home ed Outlook Express Office 9 Spell check in outlook returns with: Error has occured .. What's wrong?? ...

Can I config Outlook folders in my archive.pst to hold both Post and Notes?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C7F9DE.84A377F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can I config Outlook folders in my archive.pst to hold both Post and = Notes? If so how? TIA Chris. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C7F9DE.84A377F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"t...

Problems with Money 2005 file in two different computers
I upgraded to Money 2005 from 2004 (have been doing this since Money 97 without a problem), installed Money 2005 on my notebook, updated it to be compatible with the one on my desktop... BUT now when I try to open my money file on the notebook I get this message: "The place you are trying to reach only functions in the Business version of Money, and can't be used in the version you are using now. If you want to use this place you will have to upgrade to Microsoft Money Small Business." What place???? I don't want to go any place!!! All I want to do is use my money file (it ...

users folders in windows 7
We are in the process of upgrading to windows 7 and have come across a strange issue. We had an issue with someone's user profile so we tried to rename it and have the user log back in. At this time, a temp profile was created. The problem did not correct, so we moved all important information and deleted the user account. When the person logged back in, another temp folder was created. Has anyone run into this issue/problem yet? Hello, Lu, On 29 Apr., 17:25, Lu <L...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are in the process of upgrading to windows 7 and have com...

OWA attachments crashing Information Store
We're running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 (both are fully patched and up to date). Whenever a user attaches a file using OWA, the Information Store crashes and the following event is logged in Exchange: ---------------------------------------- Application eventlog: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9673 Description: An exception with code 0xc00000fd was thrown in module C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll; some parameters and their values were <Exception address - 57fffffd>. A significant section of the call stack is in the data...

Keeping Local and Public Calendar in sync?
I've been asked to see if it's possible to automatically keep the public and local calendars in sync. We have several people in the Hospice I support that need to have their calendars available for viewing (and/or updating) by others. Currently, we create a public folder and make it a calendar for them. One problem is that alerts on appointments do not work with public calendars. There are a couple of reasons why we want them to use their local calendars, but still have others able to view them We are using Outlook 2002 and Exchange 5.5. All mailboxes are on the server. Can we do one...